The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien in Google Scribe

So I've been playing with Google Scribe in many an idle hour lately. For those who haven't seen it yet, you basically enter some text and Google uses the wisdom of the interwebs to decide what the next word should be. Choose that word (or enter one of your own) and it suggests the next word, and so on. Repeat until you're satisfied with the text (and add any needed punctuation).

Needless to say, this is of great comedic value. After trying several Star Wars quotes (my favourites: "Obi-Wan never told you what happened tonight in New York City" and "Admiral Ozzel came out of lightspeed too close to their hearts") I naturally turned to Tolkien. Some results (normal text indicates the Tolkien text I entered and italics Google's continuation):

There was Iluvatar, the All-father, and he was not a good idea.

Here ends the Silmarillion, and if you have any questions or concerns about the safety of the public may purchase hardcopy. [I guess the hardcopy has all the "no talking dogs were harmed in the making of this book" fine print.]

Bilbo was very rich and very poor.

I am a servant of the Secret Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution. [The Balrog was very worried about possible copyright infringement.]

Seek for the Sword of Uruk, Episode 1, Part 1 of 2. [Instead of embarking on a dangerous quest, Boromir updates his Netflix queue.]
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote