The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
Why do you like LOTR?

I know, silly question, but why do you like LOTR? What makes it so great? Well I always liked the time of the knights and dragons, where bueatiful woman have to be saved. But Tolkien took it a big step further. He designed maps, made own languages, races etc. But the story line is so orginal, I never thought some one could make such a storyline up! I know, there are more reasons why it's so great, but I just don't have the brains to tell more

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Finwe-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 02:32 PM   #2
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

A seemingly mundane question, but a perfectly valid one.

I believe that my liking for/obsession with Lord of the Rings grew out of the reality of Middle Earth. Tolkien created a world with many cultures and languages, and a complete history. I hold a deep admiration for the person who is able to do something that momentous, and therefore read that person's works many times over.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:17 AM   #3
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
Tolkien

It was the high amount of history and detail wich got me hooked to LOTR. I hadn't read the books when I saw FOTR at the cinema, so I obviously ran down to the nearest book shop and brought a copy straight after seeing the film. I soon found that the books were so much better than the films and that every tiny detail has relevance or is significant to some part of Middle-earth history. I have since read the books about 26 times and plan to carry on reading them at least once a year. I think the vast amount of real human emotion shown by the characters helps to make the story relate to everyone and that it gives people hope that everyone can do something, nomatter how small, to help the world. Well, that doesn't really sum it up, but I'm not good with words... Tolkien rules is about it I s'pose.
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:55 AM   #4
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
it all starts back as a child. for as long as i can remember i have always loved the middle ages and time like those. so naturally when i became old enough to read and add a few years for me to actually start liking to read (which all started with LOTR) and there you have it. a book that is exactly what i dreamed about as a kid. when i heard about the movies that only made my obsession grow. so really it all started when i was a kid, i just didnt know it.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:22 AM   #5
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Very good reasons everyone! I'd always loved the times of the Knights, but most stories were very aggresive, too aggresive sometims, but LOTR is hard, but not too hard like most other stories!

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Old 02-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #6
King of the North
Haunting Spirit

King of the North has just left Hobbiton.
There are many reasons why I love LotR. 1st is that I love the story and all the characters in it, but also it has become a mythology. It is certainly more complex some parts of Norse, Greek, and Roman mythologies. LotR is more than just writing, it is also poetry and is the best written book I have read.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #7
Athelas

I love the Lord of the Rings because I love fantasy having to do with other worlds. It's so enchanting and interesting. I love writing stories about that stuff too.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:03 AM   #8
ohtatyaro
Wight

ohtatyaro has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I like it bacuase it's real. I mean, not really real as like I feel this keyboard when I type now, but, like, when I read, I feel it really happened. Even if I know Tolkien made it up out of his head, I can't help feeling it's real still.

Did I just answered this? I am in two minds about it, really

I mean, at the same time, it is a pointless question. Why soembody likes apples and don't likes oranges (I mean, as an example). Just because
Old 02-03-2005, 01:31 PM   #9
Finwe-89
Wight

LOTR just binds you...

Old 02-04-2005, 08:09 AM   #10
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
A Chance to escape.

i found that as i was reading i was taken into the world and was like the ghost who wathces from above. it was captivating. it gave me a chance to escape this world along with all the problems in it, and go to a world of mystery, fantasy, and action. wether i was walking in Fangorn with Merry and Pippin, following Gollum with Frodo and Sam, or fighting at the Hornberg with Aragorn Legolas and Gimli, i felt as thought i was there. and as any god book does you just sucked up into it. and every now and then its good to escape this world.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:36 AM   #11
Finwe-89
Wight

Last book I read was The Hobbit, I really was in that world, I really felt like I was the Burglar and not Blibo, it's a great feeling

Old 02-04-2005, 11:26 PM   #12
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
When I first read LOTR I was about ten so I read it for the story and I loved the book just for that. However, when I re-read it some years later I discovered a whole bunch of new meanings and ideas. I love LOTR not only because of the rich history and languages but also because when I read the books I find something new to think about each time.
Also it is the first fantasy book so I think you can love it just for that simple fact. Without LOTR there wouldn't have been fantasy as we know it today. Or maybe it would come decades later...but I rather don't want to think about that,
Another reason for being obsessed about LOTR is the fact that the characters get so close to you. Some prejudiced people say there is no real character development in Fantasy and that the plot is often cheesy. In some cases this is sadly true. But not LOTR, in fact as people have said before it can be seen as a Historic fiction novel. I think there is a lot of character development. even the minor characters get a chance to show to the reader how the war of the ring changed them.
So, I think LOTR should be thought of as a classic and that the people who are fans of this book should be proud about it. Even if we are seen as slightly crazy/obsessed I am still proud to be a ringer (Tolkeinist,enthugger)
Old 02-05-2005, 11:47 AM   #13
Finwe-89
Wight

Like I said it just binds you into it'world