The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #161
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Oh dear. I could have sworn that I posted a note here that the next chapter discussion would be postponed until after my winter break, but it seems that I failed to do so.

I'm terribly sorry about this, especially so if my forgetfulness has driven anyone away from the already very slow discussion.

I will open the next discussion sometime this week, after which it will proceed as before, with new discussions opened on Fridays.

Again, I'm very sorry if there's been any confusion.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:08 AM   #162
Břicho
Animated Skeleton

Břicho has just left Hobbiton.
OK, thanks!
Old 02-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #163
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
There will be a slight delay in the opening of the next discussion, due to a bit of a virus which has taken me by surprise. The thread should be up sometime later today or tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #164
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Another slight delay - chapter 10 will be up sometime today or tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #165
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Is a week late better than never?

I hope it is. The next discussion will be up today.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #166
Aiwendil
Late Istar

I must apologize for the the fact that the chapter 14 discussion is not open yet; I'm away and with only intermittent access both to the books and the internet. Judging by the level of participation lately, this will not be an inconvenience to anyone. I will start the next discussion as soon as possible; in the interim, if anyone feels an urge to discuss the Silmarillion, the chapter 13 thread is of course (gapingly) open.

Edit: Hmm, four consecutive posts in this thread of rather poor excuses on my part for being late. I really am sorry for my failure in this regard, especially if this is part of the reason for the discussions' general silence.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:12 AM   #167
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Don't blame yourself for the slow discussion, Aiwendil - I found out in the LotR and Hobbit discussions that the interest is always greatest at the beginning, then slows down radically. Thanks for your faithfulness in keeping going!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #168
Aiwendil
Late Istar

If you're wondering, no, I haven't forgotten about the Silmarillion discussion. Given the slow pace of the discussions, I've been a bit more relaxed about the schedule - but the next chapter will be up soon.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #169
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Ditto my above post.

If anyone is unhappy with these threads continuing to appear at a slow rate, some stern words would probably rouse me to greater diligence. Given the lack of interest, I've assumed no one is irked by the irregularity - if I'm wrong, please let me know!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #170
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
I'm still hanging in there, just not posting on the threads. Unfortunately, I have read ahead a bit while waiting, so that it is increasingly difficult to comment on most the current threads available. Those topics have a nasty way of getting filed away in the lowest drawer of my mental filing cabinet, and using some strange and cryptic system that is beyond me...well maybe just a bit anyway!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #171
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Thanks for the feedback, Hilde. I'll be more conscientious about getting the chapters up in the future.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:19 PM   #172
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Correction: I'll (apparently) continue to be as negligent as usual. I'm really sorry.

I will put up the next chapter soon, for what that may be worth.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #173
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Will there be any more installments in the chapter by chapter reading of The Silm? I know others have gone back to rereading LotR, but I certainly am still interested in The Silm, even if my time does not allow me to post much. (although I do think I am one of the more frequent posters in this discussion. )
Old 06-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #174
Nazgûl-king
Wight

Nazgûl-king has just left Hobbiton.
Would anyone be interested in doing a chapter-by-chapter discussion for Children of Húrin?
Nazgûl-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #175
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgûl-king View Post
Would anyone be interested in doing a chapter-by-chapter discussion for Children of Húrin?
That's a good and interesting idea; I thought about something similar recently, but then I thought if it's already time for this. But if more people were interested, I'd say why not? (But really the interest is important. Also, there is - or should be - still the LotR CbC running, although... )
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #176
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yes, I'd be interested but may be more when we have got through the radio series. I do want to read it thoroughly in the next couple of weeks in preparation for the TS Seminar.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #177
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
So has the Silm discussion officially died a death?
I know I only posted occasionally but I was enjoying it.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #178
Aiwendil
Late Istar

I'm afraid I owe a tremendous apology to everyone. I have no excuse whatsoever for my negligence - first being consistently late in posting each chapter and then unceremoniously forgetting about the whole project when interest waned. Perhaps it's not a big deal in the long run, but I really do feel bad about having made a commitment like this and then completely failing to follow through on it.

I would be happy to continue with the remaining chapters. Perhaps I'll write all the remaining introductions first and then, once I have them all in hand, post one a week. Does this sound reasonable to those concerned?

I would also love to take part in a Children of Hurin discussion (assuming it's run by someone more conscientious than me) if that were to take place.

Again, apologies to all for the Silmarillion discussions (or lack thereof).
Old 06-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #179
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
That sounds more than reasonable, Aiwendil.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #180
Mugwump
Wight

Mugwump has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Latecomer

I'm totally new to this forum, so I've missed all the previous readthroughs, but you've inspired me to read the books yet again (for the fourth time, I believe). If it's all right with everyone, I'll search the relevant (chapter) thread and leave comments even though the last comment may have been years ago.
Mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #181
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Please do contribute, Mugwump - that's the reason we keep these threads open! And you never know, you might inspire other members to join you in re-reading...

Welcome to the Downs, and have a good time here!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #182
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post
I would also love to take part in a Children of Hurin discussion (assuming it's run by someone more conscientious than me) if that were to take place.
I'd love to participate in a COH discussion! I'd always be able to find some spare time to stick my two bits in on most chapters!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #183
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Boots

It's been a few years since the last Chapter-by-Chapter (The Hobbit, in anticipation of the first movie) and I'm wondering if the time has come for another one. Anyone here active on the 'Downs Facebook group is aware that I floated the idea there of a CbC of The book of Lost Tales. A couple things came out of that.

One, as you might expect, interest was relatively low. If The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are the primary works on Middle-earth, then the HoME texts are beyond secondary works into the tertiary realm and even on a forum of fans as literary as the 'Downs, it is difficult to say if the amount of interest meets the critical mass deemed necessary, particularly as the CbCs have typically been seen in the past as a group effort.

Two, though interest was low, it was not absent, so having not been actively discouraged by the members of staff who saw me post there, I am bringing the question here: would the forum be interested in a CbC of The Book of Lost Tales? I am not a mod or admin, and if that disqualifies me from leading such a discussion then I shall bow out gracefully, but if that does not then I volunteer my services to initiate those discussions.

Apart from the question of leadership, I would like to make a few matter-of-principle points regarding idea and the probability of low participation.

Firstly, the 'Downs as a whole is a sleepy community as most of the generation that formed the last major boom of activity have all passed from high school, through college, and on to "adult" life* and this has happened coincident with a shift in Internet norms away from semi-anonymous, text-dominant venues like forums to picture-and-meme heavy "social media." I don't say this as a bad thing, nor do I want to present a doom-and-gloom prospect for the future, but I present it because I think that a diminished expectation of involvement in the light of these changed circumstances should not prevent such a CbC from going forward. If only two or three people participate--or, as the case may be towards the later chapters, one--it still *might* be worth doing, because:

Secondly, even if a website is sleepy, as long as there is something to draw a trickle of new and old members back, it not a closed-up shop. The Book of Lost Tales is certainly part of the long tail of Tolkien fandom, but forums are a part of the long tail of Internet activity. We may as well embrace it!

Thirdly, it has always been the intention of the CbC threads that they were not closed just because the next chapter had been posted. The original LotR threads are still worth a read and still worth adding to. Perhaps it will take five years to grow five posts on a Lost Tales chapter, but they would be there when the poster finally came--and, relatedly, BECAUSE the Lost Tales are more obscure, I think there is probably a lot more ground that has not been covered in the general discussion threads of the forum, and perhaps people have avoided posting about them even when they have wanted to because of the obscurity (one might say "non-canonicity" ) of the HoME books.

And that is my argument. Perhaps I should have addressed this as a query to the admins in a PM, and certainly they are welcome to delete this if that is the case, but I admit to no longer being certain which admins would respond to a PM, and which were most involved/interested in the CbC forum. I have volunteered my services, because no one should suggest building something they are not willing to sweat for, but my pride is not offended if a CbC (of any book--I think the time has come for Lost Tales, but a case can be made for [i]The Children of Húrin/i] or the minor works) is decided to go forward with someone else as vanguard.

*Of course, the 'Downs has always had members older than this generation, and perhaps because they have always balanced the Internet community with an adult world, have been among our best and most enduring contributors. I do not mean to suggest the entire website was made of 17-year-olds in 2004.