The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2006, 05:52 AM   #801
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
I can't find fault in your pro-Celebrian vote, Sauce, so you can rest easy on that.
Whew! I am relieved ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
Now answer me this- since the Ring thing would have happened even without him, how can you possibly justify saying that he caused it?
Did you even bother reading my earlier argumentation? The whole point of Sauron's Ring scheme was to gain control over the peoples of ME, especially the Elves. Had he not been able to persuade Celebrimbor and his team to create the other Rings of Power, it is unlikely that he would have gone through with it. And, even had he done so, it is likely that, without their involvement, the One Ring would have been less powerful than it was. Celebrimbor's pride, greed and gullibility was a direct contributor to the mess that prevailed at the end of the Third Age. One which, ultimately, required Eru's direct intervention to sort out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1,000 Reader
Finally, going into the west (giving up in a sense) doesn't make one a survivor.
Neither, then, does getting butchered as a result of one's pride, greed and gullibility and ending up on an Orcish battle standard ...
Old 04-09-2006, 11:39 AM   #802
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Who here among us has never had the temptation to rewrite history - just a little - in favour of those innocents that were wronged?

To have saved the noble Germanicus from poisoning, and the Roman empire from the raddled bag of depravities that was his brother Tiberius...

To have stolen into the Tower and smuggled out the two Little Princes...
...or rescued poor, clever, shy Lady Jane Grey from the block, and taken her back to the safe obscurity she craved...

...or to administer a TB jab to a certain young Londoner in the early 1800s, and thus add to the world's greatest poetry the splendour of a mature Keats....

Now we have here, on the Downs, the chance to right a great wrong. Tar-Miriel would, but for the machinations of Sauron and his lap-dog Ar-Pharazon, been a very great Queen, a wise and just ruler of Numenor. I say we crown her Queen of Survivor instead, and allow the viewers a small glimpse what might have been.
++TAR MIRIEL
Old 04-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #803
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
++Celebrian

So that grace and beauty shall not pass quickly from the world.

I have always had a fascination and reverence for Celebrian. She bore up under the greatest trials and triumphed. She kept herself alive until help came in a hopeless situation and through torture of the mind, body, and spirit, and that she left for healing afterwards cannot be faulted. My vote for her is because her story ends in triumph and reunion.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:30 PM   #804
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
++Celebrian Think of the consequences if she does not survive into the Third Age. She is a survivor and her largely untold story encapsulates so many aspects of the wider history of middle earth.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #805
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Nomen est omen, as the Romans used to say. Let's see:

Celebrimbor: "Silver-fist". Silver -> a second place -> not worthy of winning.

Celebrían: "Silver queen". See above.

Tar-Míriel: Tar = high lady, queen. Mîr, Míre = jewel. This dazzling woman is the jewel of the show. She might be a diamond in the rough, her brilliance dimmed by her ever so horrible husband, but she has got a lot of potential in her (and a personal name compared to the Celeb-something-club), so let us now give her a chance to shine.

I trust that a voting decision that is based on languages that were so dear to Tolkien is Middle-earthian enough... However, just in case:

++TAR-MÍRIEL

Because she would have deserved to be the fourth Ruling Queen of Númenor. Winning the Second Age Survivor may serve as a consolation prize.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:08 PM   #806
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
the Celeb-something-club
Yeah. I'm sick of the whole Celeb culture.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:34 PM   #807
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Quote:
Tar-Míriel: Tar = high lady, queen. Mîr, Míre = jewel.
As one also possessing a jewel-like name, I must toss my hat in with the tragic Queen of Númenor. Re-writing history with unrepentant glee, we right the wrongs done unto not only her but the whole Isle of Númenor. Let this survivor's island be the new Isle of Númenor, with Tar-Miriel ruling as Queen, as is her right as the only heir of Tar-Palantir, last decent King of Númenor.

+ + Tar-Míriel

Or in other words, because I damn well please.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #808
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril By the way, in case anyone is wondering

Tar-Míriel: 4 votes
Celebrían: 4 votes
Celebrimbor: 3 votes

And since phantom hasn't officially voted but voiced a clear preference, one can almost say Celebrimbor has 4 votes. And you know what that means, boys and girls...

Three Way SMACKDOWN! I mean, er, three way tie.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:13 PM   #809
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
If Tar-Miriel would've done something it would've been written.
Because Tolkien always finished everything he wrote.
Quote:
You can't vote for someone based on a guess that they did something brave simply because you want a female to win. That is quite obviously sexist.
And you aren't biased at all. Besides, I'm not inventing, I'm inferring. Blame it on RPG's, if you will.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #810
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Quote:
You can't vote for someone based on a guess that they did something brave simply because you want a female to win. That is quite obviously sexist.
And you aren't biased at all. Besides, I'm not inventing, I'm inferring. Blame it on RPG's, if you will.

And don't forget, we can and will vote however we want as long as its based in Tolkien one way or another. I think that inferring and imagining based on what Tolkien wrote falls under that header.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:15 PM   #811
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Three Way SMACKDOWN! I mean, er, three way tie.
Actually, I'd sort of like to see a tie. I wonder what Formy would do....

Should we find out?

Yeah. Let's see what he does with a tie.

+ + Celebrimbor

For previously stated reasons (making the three rings, getting them hidden before Sauron's plan could catch them, and refusing to reveal their whereabouts when tortured). And I also like the way he and those under his leadership forged such an excellent relationship with the dwarves of Moria. Isn't that nice?
Old 04-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #812
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
If Tar-Miriel would've done something it would've been written.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ff
Because Tolkien always finished everything he wrote.
Oh, please. I'm well aware he didn't finish everything, but he certainly managed the major details of stories he wrote. For instance, he didn't leave the whole bit about Turin slaying Glaurung out of the Turin story and think "Oh, I'll get to it later". He took care of the main characters and deeds.

Now, Queen Tar-Miriel aiding the Faithful and doing brave deeds behind Ar-Phar's back- that is a major character doing a major deed, and thus it would not have been left out of the story if it had happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ff
And you aren't biased at all.
No, I'm not. Picking a Survivor Champion based on qualifications is no more biased than hiring someone because they are the most qualified. On the other hand, hiring someone who isn't the most qualified because they are male/female/white/black is biased, as is voting for a less qualified Survivor Champion.

This isn't just a game- this is a test of ethics that will have a massive bearing on the rest of your life. Sure, it sounds like a simple thing to pick a bad candidate today, but next thing you know you'll beating up little old ladies and stealing lunch money from children.

Stop, before it's too late!
Old 04-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #813
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
next thing you know you'll beating up little old ladies and stealing lunch money from children.
Add auto theft and speeding to that and I think we have the makings of a right good time!

Seriously though, would you be comparing Celebrimbor to old ladies and children, then? *looks innocent*
Old 04-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #814
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
would you be comparing Celebrimbor to old ladies and children, then?
The comparison might fit, in the sense that, like little old ladies and children, Celebrimbor is being wronged and is unable to defend himself (by virtue of the fact that he does not exist).

So that further explains my point. Today, you are wronging a defenseless fictional character- tomorrow, real life defenseless people. It's a slippery slope.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:48 PM   #815
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
The comparison might fit, in the sense that, like little old ladies and children, Celebrimbor is being wronged and is unable to defend himself (by virtue of the fact that he does not exist).
And the same can be said for Tar-Miriel and Celebrian, depending on one's viewpoint. They're all fictional and, frankly, none of them are the most deeply drawn characters, so most of what we think of them comes from our own preconceived notions about what makes a preferable Survivor champ. It's all about what tinted glasses you're wearing. None of this is concrete, like little old ladies and children, it's all subjective conjecture and imagination. Personally I am not voting for Celebrimbor because he leaves the least to the imagination. That's my prefered shade of glasses: that the character who I can best make up my own pleasant fantasy about gets my vote. Such is the world of fiction and games compared to the real one.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:30 PM   #816
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Quote:
The comparison might fit, in the sense that, like little old ladies and children, Celebrimbor is being wronged and is unable to defend himself (by virtue of the fact that he does not exist)

Just like what happened to the Witch-King a few pages back. Oh well, at least it's an accomplishment that he got to the finals when he didn't even do anything in the Second Age.

To put my words into orcish form, "What's wrong with you people?! You're voting for two girls that was pretty much a slave and had the **** beaten out of 'er? Vote for the elf lord who made the three rings! At least he did something."
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:32 PM   #817
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Actually, I'd sort of like to see a tie. I wonder what Formy would do....
I'll take a stab at it. He'll do like this:

++TAR-MÍRIEL

and say that it's his thread.

Okay, okay...he'll do only the first part.

But why Tar-Miríel? Because Celebrían, respectable though she is, is not exactly a Survivor in a sense. Not that we can blame her for giving up on life, but we have a game to consider.

Celebrimbor, while deserving credit for the creation of the rings, was in some way just following the footsteps of his grandfather: he created something grand, then died because of it. Mind that I don't have anything against Feanor...or maybe I do.

NO ONE else in Middle-earth history had a life similar to our dear tragic queen's. And she died holding on (quite literally) to what she believed in. Beat that!

Yess we could, preciouss.

I know, Gollum, but you're NOT Second Age. Now scram!

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 04-10-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:09 AM   #818
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Actually, the FIRST thing he'll do is declare voting over.

He will then leave the thread to percolate until tomorrow afternoon, when he will have time to properly analyse the Tolkienity of the votes.

Although the voting is CLOSED, and no further votes will be counted, I should mention that I haven't decided yet how to deal with the tie...

Meanwhile, you may return to your discussions of "what Formendacil will do?"
Old 04-10-2006, 12:12 AM   #819
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I maintain my stand and rest my case.

Besides, as I see it, there's no tie for you to deal with.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:15 AM   #820
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
I maintain my stand and rest my case.

Besides, as I see it, there's no tie for you to deal with.
Ssshhh!!!

Don't give the game away, little sister...

Be back tomorrow with the official analysis. I hope all your votes were Tolkien-valid...
Old 04-10-2006, 12:55 AM   #821
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Oh you awful, awful, teasing man.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:55 AM   #822
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Lord. Truly the nick of time. At dawn, look to the east.

Curufin was brilliant because he defied his lovey-dovey simpering culture of nobility and heroism to become a treacherous fiend.

But Celebrimbor went one better. In a society dminated by Curufin's treacherous fiendishness, he also proved a rebel and reverted to old noble codes of honour.

I don't know if any of you have read Philosopher at Large's internet Luthien script, filled with Shakespeare and Beowulf and goodness? Celebrimbor is tremendous in it...

If we believe in the Galadriel/Feanor failed romance, it's one of the most tragic and brilliant in Tolkien.

The Sons of Feanor are wonderful because they are paradigms of talented, charismatic, valiant princes going horribly wrong. Celebrimbor shows us what they could have achieved.

But he too is Under the Curse.

For Feanor's line!

++CELEBRIMBOR
Old 04-10-2006, 12:59 AM   #823
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Um, Ang...? Nearly an hour after Form declared voting closed is not what one would call in the nick of time. Nor even fashionably late....
Old 04-10-2006, 01:07 AM   #824
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Oh, blast. Well, at least my feelings on the matter are recorded...
Old 04-10-2006, 01:24 AM   #825
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Perhaps if you said you started writing it an hour ago he would reconsider?

Not that I'd ever advocate being duplicitous.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #826
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Okay, the official tally. Here we are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe
++Celebrimbor

In keeping with the spirit of the Second Age, that being redress of the wrongs of the First, and the uniting of the free realms in peace, Celebrimbor shows himself worthy of the crown of this competition.

Firstly, he turns from the corrupted path of his father and uncles, attmepting to maintain harmony with neighboring realms. Second, he starts the ambicious progect of forging the Three Rings of Power, which were instrumental in the founding of Rivendell, and Lothlorien, both crutial kingdoms by the time of the War of the Ring.
COUNTED- for reference to Celebrimbor’s break with his father, and his creation of the Elven Rings of Power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 Reader
++Celebrimbor.

Celebrimbor is the only accomplished survivor left. He tried to make peace through actual peace, not war, and the three elven rings did more harm than good to Sauron.

The others have not done anything worthy to have gotten this far. Celebrimbor has created the elven rings, tools which helped save the Third Age, as well as the ages to come.
COUNTED- for reference to the Elven Rings and their effect on the Third Age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Are you saying that Tar-Miriel did nothing? She was put in a bad spot, forced into a marriage against her will to a man who would usurp all the power. It would have been easy for her to give in, but she remained loyal to the Faithful, and would have undoubtedly helped them out quite a bit (she was certainly in some sort of position to do so, even if she would have had to act in secret). But she herself was not able to be saved from the drowning of Numenor - how could she? the Queen could hardly just go missing, and their doings all had to be done in secret. So instead she drowned ascending the heights of Meneltarma. For her bravery, Tar-Miriel is my vote for Survivor.

++Tar-Miriel
COUNTED- for reference, amongst other speculation, to Tar-Míriel’s final ascent of Meneltarma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor of Gondolin
++ Celebrian
She was actually rather adventurous, including journeying over a rather run-down Redhorn Gate to visit mom and dad, and she did survive orc poisoning and ill treatment. Plus her experience with nasty orcsees had a lot to do with her sons having a thing for terminating orcs with extreme prejudice . Oh yeah, and her seamstress daughter made a good trophy wife.
COUNTED- for reference to Celebrían’s trips over the Redhorn pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
++CELEBRIMBOR

For being the only contestant remaining to have actually done something important. The Three Rings were important for the preservation of Rivendell and Lorien, and aiding Gandalf's efforts.
COUNTED- Again, for reference to the creation of the Three Elven Rings, and the resulting effect in the Third Age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Saucepan Man
I rather prefer the idea of Celebrian as victor. It must have taken a lot of guts to resist simply succumbing to the torments of the Orcs that had captured her and relinquish her hroar then and there. I reckon that it was her love for her husband and children, and her wish to see them again, which kept her going, and that speaks loudly in her favour as far as I am concerned. Let's not underestimate the courage that is required to survive captivity in such terrible conditions. It is clear that she suffered terribly from the fact that even Elrond was unable, ultimately, fully to heal her spirit.

And she gave birth to some pretty remarkable chidlren. Arwen, who is likened to none less than Luthien, and whose inspiration of Aragorn contributed to the salvation of Middle-earth. And Elladan and Elrohir, whose qualities as hunters and warriors are undoubted, and who also contributed greatly to the cause at the Pelennor and before the Black Gate.

So, for her courage in the face of horrendous circumstances, and for her contribution, through her children, to the salvation of Middle-earth and ultimate defeat of Sauron in the Third Age:

++ CELEBRIAN
COUNTED- For recitation of Celebrían’s general history and the inferred personality she bore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Who here among us has never had the temptation to rewrite history - just a little - in favour of those innocents that were wronged?

To have saved the noble Germanicus from poisoning, and the Roman empire from the raddled bag of depravities that was his brother Tiberius...

To have stolen into the Tower and smuggled out the two Little Princes...
...or rescued poor, clever, shy Lady Jane Grey from the block, and taken her back to the safe obscurity she craved...

...or to administer a TB jab to a certain young Londoner in the early 1800s, and thus add to the world's greatest poetry the splendour of a mature Keats....

Now we have here, on the Downs, the chance to right a great wrong. Tar-Miriel would, but for the machinations of Sauron and his lap-dog Ar-Pharazon, been a very great Queen, a wise and just ruler of Numenor. I say we crown her Queen of Survivor instead, and allow the viewers a small glimpse what might have been.
++TAR MIRIEL
COUNTED- for summation of Tar-Míriel’s history, and the desire to rewrite the history regarding her. (Formendacil, as a historaphile, is- by the way- very appreciate of this rewriting strategy, and may just plagiarize it in the future…)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
++Celebrian

So that grace and beauty shall not pass quickly from the world.

I have always had a fascination and reverence for Celebrian. She bore up under the greatest trials and triumphed. She kept herself alive until help came in a hopeless situation and through torture of the mind, body, and spirit, and that she left for healing afterwards cannot be faulted. My vote for her is because her story ends in triumph and reunion.
COUNTED- For reference to Celebrían’s survival in face of orkish peril- and reference to Elrond’s reunion with her in Valinor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
++Celebrian Think of the consequences if she does not survive into the Third Age. She is a survivor and her largely untold story encapsulates so many aspects of the wider history of middle earth.
COUNTED- for noting the fact that Celebrían actually did survive a nasty situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing spawn of Ungoliant
Celebrimbor: "Silver-fist". Silver -> a second place -> not worthy of winning.

Celebrían: "Silver queen". See above.

Tar-Míriel: Tar = high lady, queen. Mîr, Míre = jewel. This dazzling woman is the jewel of the show. She might be a diamond in the rough, her brilliance dimmed by her ever so horrible husband, but she has got a lot of potential in her (and a personal name compared to the Celeb-something-club), so let us now give her a chance to shine.

I trust that a voting decision that is based on languages that were so dear to Tolkien is Middle-earthian enough... However, just in case:

++TAR-MÍRIEL
COUNTED- Languages and Tolkien go together like fish and chips. Oh, and there is an alternative reasoning, if one doesn’t like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond
As one also possessing a jewel-like name, I must toss my hat in with the tragic Queen of Númenor. Re-writing history with unrepentant glee, we right the wrongs done unto not only her but the whole Isle of Númenor. Let this survivor's island be the new Isle of Númenor, with Tar-Miriel ruling as Queen, as is her right as the only heir of Tar-Palantir, last decent King of Númenor.

++ Tar-Míriel
COUNTED- for reference to Tar-Míriel’s right to be queen, her tragic loss of that privalege, and her status as Tar-Palantír’s only child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Phantom
++ Celebrimbor

For previously stated reasons (making the three rings, getting them hidden before Sauron's plan could catch them, and refusing to reveal their whereabouts when tortured). And I also like the way he and those under his leadership forged such an excellent relationship with the dwarves of Moria. Isn't that nice?
COUNTED- For reference to Celebrimbor’s hiding the Rings ere Sauron could reach them, and for reference to his bravery in face of torture, and for reference to his exceptional relationship with the Dwarves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
++TAR-MÍRIEL

and say that it's his thread.

Okay, okay...he'll do only the first part.

But why Tar-Miríel? Because Celebrían, respectable though she is, is not exactly a Survivor in a sense. Not that we can blame her for giving up on life, but we have a game to consider.

Celebrimbor, while deserving credit for the creation of the rings, was in some way just following the footsteps of his grandfather: he created something grand, then died because of it. Mind that I don't have anything against Feanor...or maybe I do.

NO ONE else in Middle-earth history had a life similar to our dear tragic queen's. And she died holding on (quite literally) to what she believed in. Beat that!
COUNTED- for reference to Tar-Míriel’s death on Meneltarma. You were lucky, sis… Your vote almost didn’t have a Tolkien-based reference to deal with Tar-Míriel.

So there we have it. The tally is:

Celebrían: IIII
Celebrimbor: IIII

Tar-Míriel: IIIII

So close to a tie... so close. Of course, I'd have vote Tar-Míriel anyway. But that unnecessary dirtying of my hands has been avoided, and so it is with great pleasure (mwahahahaa: Moderator Win) that I crown Míriel, daughter of Palantír, Queen of Survivor: The Second Age.

GAME OVER

Those of you needing a Survivor fix are directed over to Diamond's Survivor: The Minor Works, Round 5 of Survivor: Middle-Earth.

~Michael A. Joosten - Survivor: The Second Age Moderator Emeritus~
Old 04-10-2006, 12:58 PM   #827
Formendacil
Dead Serious

POSTSCRIPT:

In the case of a tie for 2nd and 3rd Place, I hereby, as my last act as Survivor Moderator, declare Celebrimbor son of Curufin as 2nd Place Champion, in light of Anguirel's post-deadline vote for him.

~Finis~
Old 04-10-2006, 05:43 PM   #828
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Okay...the person who didn't do a single thing and was pushed around throughout her lifetime won simply because of far-fetched what-ifs and because she was touching a building when she died.

"What's wrong with you people?!"
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
Old 04-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #829
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril Awright!

Why is no one else celebrating??

*cavorts around tossing candy and confetti in the air*

Or bemoaning for that matter?

*hands out sackcloth and ashes*

(X-posted with 1,000 Reader.)
Old 04-10-2006, 05:47 PM   #830
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dark-Eye

Get yer' bombs boys, we're sinkin' this queen with er' isle again.

-A History of Villains
Old 04-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #831
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'll celebrate with you, Diamond!

To tell the truth, Tar-Miriel is one of the ones I was hoping might win. Even though she is so minor, she has always been one of my favorite minor characters. I had not ever realized before this just how little was explicitly written about her. Guess that shows you what a little imagination can do. Sometimes it is nice that Tolkien leaves us little holes to fill in.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:32 PM   #832
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"With our research over, George Bush is a better writer than Shakespeare because there is a 3% chance that he was abducted by aliens and injected with writing-enhancing formulas."

Seriously, people shouldn't win because of far-fetched dreams that aren't in tune with the story they came from. "She died in a tower" doesn't really mean anything. Any other character would have gone to the tower if they couldn't reach a boat.

(As a sidenote, you might want to find a new island for the next survivor. Heh heh. )

-A History of Villains
Old 04-10-2006, 11:05 PM   #833
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

White-Hand

Nobody likes an aggressively sore loser. It's annoying.

Also, your analogy holds no water since Shakespeare and George Bush are real people and Tar-Miriel et al are (say it with me everyone) fictional.

fic·tion n.

1.a. An imaginative creation or a pretense that does not represent actuality but has been invented.
1.b. The act of inventing such a creation or pretense.

2. A lie.

3.a. A literary work whose content is produced by the imagination and is not necessarily based on fact.
3.b. The category of literature comprising works of this kind, including novels and short stories.

Finally, saying that you're going to blow up the island because you didn't like the outcome of the game is childish. Or, to put it into another analogy, blowing up games you didn't win today leads to beating up grandmothers and stealing candy from children the next. It's a slippery slope.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #834
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
Nobody likes an aggressively sore loser. It's annoying.
Pardon me, but I just don't think that Tar-Mirel deserved to win when she didn't really do anything.

Quote:
Also, your analogy holds no water since Shakespeare and George Bush are real people and Tar-Miriel et al are (say it with me everyone) fictional.
What I'm saying is that someone who hasn't shown any proof of their skill and has only shown the lack of it should not be chosen over one who has shown proof of their skill.

Quote:
fic·tion n.

1.a. An imaginative creation or a pretense that does not represent actuality but has been invented.
1.b. The act of inventing such a creation or pretense.

2. A lie.

3.a. A literary work whose content is produced by the imagination and is not necessarily based on fact.
3.b. The category of literature comprising works of this kind, including novels and short stories.
Yes, but even fiction needs order and something to rely upon. If we go outside of canon then we are not being true to the fiction, potentially unraveling it. We should remain true to origins, not the stuff of fan-fics.

Quote:
Finally, saying that you're going to blow up the island because you didn't like the outcome of the game is childish. Or, to put it into another analogy, blowing up games you didn't win today leads to beating up grandmothers and stealing candy from children the next. It's a slippery slope.
This is Middle-Earth Mirth. "Childish" things belong here if anywhere. Besides, how would you like it if you worked your tail off to get a job and the person who didn't do anything got it instead? Finally, I fail to see how a post in a mirthful corner of the internet will suddenly drive me to attack innocent citizens. That's like the "Eeee! videogames are evil!" arguement, except using tetris as an example. To add onto that, I typed in "orc-fashion." If I was serious, I wouldn't go to that length.

Tar-Mirel won, yes, that happened, but that doesn't mean I can't answer in a silly fashion, just like when I first used "orc-talk" here.

Seriously though, you should get off that island. A fearsome looking hermit known only as "Robinson Crusoe" is rumored to turn into a large worm and grab people from underground. Others say he is a psychic snapping turtle without skin.

Run for your lives. He has already ensalved the wildlife and is using them for food. If legend is true, then he is the fearsome "Euro pean" said to bring a great plague to all life, as his kind did to the "N D ans."

-A History of Villains

Last edited by The 1,000 Reader; 04-10-2006 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:48 PM   #835
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

It wasn't my intention to engage in a debate about the game results. There is little point since it is over, and the winner has been crowned, and there is no chance of changing the result. So since you keep belaboring the point I read it as the ranting of a sore loser rather than anything really mirthful. I meant "childish" in the "a child throwing a fit" sense rather than the more pleasant connotations of the word. Which somewhat brings out the stern librarian in me, hence why I bothered posting about it. As far as blowing up the island, you may wrestle the game away from all the others who have played it and turn it into your own private RPG, regardless of the vote counts, but really, where is the good taste in that?

The little old lady/children comment was a tongue-in-cheek reference to phantom's analogy, which I disagreed with, in case you misunderstood and took me seriously.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:04 AM   #836
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
It wasn't my intention to engage in a debate about the game results. There is little point since it is over, and the winner has been crowned, and there is no chance of changing the result. So since you keep belaboring the point I read it as the ranting of a sore loser rather than anything really mirthful. I meant "childish" in the "a child throwing a fit" sense rather than the more pleasant connotations of the word. Which somewhat brings out the stern librarian in me, hence why I bothered posting about it. As far as blowing up the island, you may wrestle the game away from all the others who have played it and turn it into your own private RPG, regardless of the vote counts, but really, where is the good taste in that?

The little old lady/children comment was a tongue-in-cheek reference to phantom's analogy, which I disagreed with, in case you misunderstood and took me seriously.
Not a debate, just an opinion. I just think that she was undeserving so I'm expressing my opinion in a mirth-based way, just as you are "celebrating." As you are a "stern librarian" I am a "stern boss." I have no wish to make any sort of game from that comment, I was simply making a response. Finally, I knew very well that Phantom made that comment, I just simply felt the need to respond to that "dig."

Let's just end this discussion now to avoid flames and whatnot.

(That Crusoe guy also has a stick that shoots fire. Combined with his deadly "beer" he could enter a rampage at any moment and burn the forest. Run from the island before you fall to the "Euro pean.")

-A History of Villains
Old 04-11-2006, 02:01 AM   #837
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

*Arrives clutching bottle of Bolly*

Oh, am I too late, did the party break up?
Tar Miriel was my fave from the start, I have to confess. Where is Nilp, btw? I would have expected him to be hanging out the bunting, for sure....
Old 04-11-2006, 02:15 AM   #838
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I am not wholly displeased by this result, though Celebrimbor and Celeborn, the two rivals, were my main candidates. By Form's mercy Celebrimbor is second, at least. And after my Smaug triumph I suppose I owe Lalaith a chance to revel in victory.

So all power to Tar-Miriel. Pull out the stopper, let's have a whopper. And appropriately enough

God Save The Queen
Old 04-11-2006, 04:39 AM   #839
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

*hands Ang champagne flute*

Ah, thank you sir, most magnanimous of you, and welcome back. Sorry about helping to vote off Celeborn, but needs must, when milady Miriel was beset by eviction threats.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:46 AM   #840
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I have the satisfaction of knowing the anti-Celebornists were only able to take him down by cravenly waiting for my absence...another moral victory for Celeborn, just like LOTR...

Glug glug. Now to the Minor Works...