The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-26-2003, 08:13 AM   #1
DayVampyre
Wight

DayVampyre has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye Which Finger was that again?

***Warning, possible spoilers, but only if you haven't read the Books***<P><BR>Alright, so let's head back to the beginning of the Fellowship movie.<P>When Sauron is doing his whole spikey toaster impression, he is wearing the Ring on his pointer finger, right?<P>Now we flash foward to when the hobbits are hiding from the Black Rider under the log, Frodo almost puts the ring on his pointer finger[I am going somewhere with this]<P>Same deal in Bree and at the end of the movie when Frodo is running away from Boromir. <P>Having set that up, I was flipping around in the ROTK last night and having got to the part where Sam is back in Rivendell, he notices Frodo's mangled hand. It is his ring finger that has been bitten off not the pointer finger becuase that was obviously the finger that the Ring had been on.<P>While a missing ring finger is odd, isn't a missing pointer finger more so?<P>Seeing as the Ring has only been on people's pointer fingers in the movie I don't think Frodo is going to go,<P>"Right then, now that I'm daft and inside Mount Doom, I wonder how the Ring would look on my ring finger instead of pointer finger"<P>Small thing I know, but I still can't help it. A missing pointer finger is just plain wrong. Try it yourself...
Old 05-26-2003, 09:32 AM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

So far, every time that Frodo has out the Ring on (in the movies) has been out of his control (fell onto his finger in Bree, just grabbed it quickly when Boromir attacked). He might actually put rings on his ring finger when he gets the chance.<P>Or, it might've been the Ring putting itself on Frodo's ring finger. He was basically corrupted and taken over at that point, and not really himself.<P>The real question is, which finger did <I>Gollum</I> wear it on?
Old 05-26-2003, 11:20 AM   #3
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

I'd say ring finger<P><BR>There was, though, the incident before Bree, right after the Mushroom scene, Frodo almost stuck it on his pointer finger.<P>It just semms to me to be a bizarre thing to change
Old 05-26-2003, 01:37 PM   #4
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I expect the change has more to do with what is the easiest to film than anything else. The "pointing" finger can be held out easily on it's own, the ring or index finger cannot unless you want it to look like Frodo is flipping the audience the bird.<P>I still suspect Frodo will lose a digit. Which one? Does it really matter?<P>H.C.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:45 PM   #5
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

Ha ha THAT would have been funny to see during the Weathertop scene...<P><BR>I can just see it now...half the audience stratching thier heads trying to figure out Frodo's 'hidden' message
Old 05-26-2003, 04:47 PM   #6
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I'm sure all the parents of little children in the audience would have enjoyed that! I can just see Frodo's hidden message. "F*#& you! I'm gonna put the Ring on!"
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 09:16 PM   #7
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I can just see it now...half the audience stratching thier heads trying to figure out Frodo's 'hidden' message <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!<P>Anyway.. perhaps when Frodo gets to Mt. Doom, when he claims the ring as his own it would make sence to put to ring on his ring finger even though he hasn't before just because it might make it seem like he dosn't intend to take it off again.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:35 PM   #8
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Yes, it wouldn't surprise me if it went on his ring finger in Mount Doom. PJ doesn't need to give us a close-up of the Ring going on so doesn't need to worry about what a close-up of Frodo's hand with a finger extended might look like. Frodo's words and what happens next are clear enough.<P>H.C.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:10 PM   #9
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

True, PJ may not show a close up of that part, but surely the audience will see Frodo's hand again, and I just think it'll be a odd thing to see a person's, oh, hobbit's pointer finger missing, <P>I mean, I think it'll make Frodo look like a freakin' mutant
Old 05-27-2003, 06:11 PM   #10
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dūm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Sting

Well I don't think that even if PJ was to show a close-up of Frodo putting the Ring on any finger, Frodo doesn't necessarily have to stick out one specific finger. If he puts it on his ring finger, then PJ could show Frodo's whole hand as he puts it on at Mt. Doom so it won't look like he's fingering Sam
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 04:26 PM   #11
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The finger that was bitten off is <B>definitely</B> the ring finger of Frodo's right hand. When Sam awakes at the Field of Cormallen, he sees Frodo lying beside him sleeping, <I>"one hand behind his head, and the other resting upon the coverlet. It was the right hand, and the third finger was missing."</I> Now whether PJ will actually have that finger or Frodo's index finger bitten off, is anyone's guess. For the average movie-goer, it probably doesn't make any difference. But for the fans, it should be the right ring finger.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:26 PM   #12
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

It's funny, this thread has really got me looking at the finger that Frodo tends to where the Ring on and the most telling as far as PJ's intentions go is the scene at Amon Hen.<P>If you watch closely, when Frodo puts on the Ring while being attacked by Boromir he puts it on the middle finger, but when he is on the High Seat he has it on the index finger. Yes, I know this is an inconsistency, but more than that I think it shows PJ's prefered finger. <P>Elijah Wood likely wasn't thinking to much about which finger to shove the Ring on when acting the scene with Sean Bean but later in the scene at the High Seat, PJ made the conscious decision to put the Ring on the index finger even though it really wasn't important as the Ring could only be glimpsed at.<P>If I were to guess, I would say Frodo is going to lose the index finger.<P>H.C.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:57 PM   #13
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was thinking, in the book Gollum says (about Sauron) "He has only four on the Black Hand, but they are enough." Or something like that. But in the movie, four get cut off. And also, if the Ring in Mt. Doom DOES get put on Frodo's ring finger, wouldn't it be quite awkward for Gollum to get his mouth around only that finger? It would be easier to get the index.<P>I just hope his finger gets bitten off. Then I can laugh. Like this: Hahahahahhahaha!<BR>...yeah
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 07:54 PM   #14
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well I say that maybe in Middle-earth the ring finger is the pointer finger. Their ring finger isn't necessarily the same as ours, so when Gollum bit of his pointer finger it was technically his ring finger. Think about it.
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote