The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-19-2003, 07:44 PM   #1
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Three cheers for Agent Elrond!

Okay, so I went to see <I>The Matrix: Reloaded</I>. It was good, I enjoyed it, and all the way through (I'm the annoying person who comments on the movie as I watch it), I was referring to Smith as Agent Elrond. But that is not all...<BR>As I was walking out of the theatre, I looked up at the screen just in time to see Hugo Weaving's name pop up. And I cheered. YEAAAAAAHHHHH!!! AGENT ELROND!!!<P>I urge you, as you go (if you go) to see The Matrix 2, cheer for Agent Elrond. He deserves it. Man, does he deserve it. His portrayal was excellent as ALL the Smiths. Hip-hip-hooray.<P><I>"The best thing about being me... is there's so many of me." ~Agent Smith</I><p>[ May 19, 2003: Message edited by: Lindril Arvilya ]
Old 05-19-2003, 08:44 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Yeah, for a character with even less plot value than the French guy, Hugo did pretty well with him. Even though 99% of him was CG....
Old 05-19-2003, 08:45 PM   #3
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, well, well. A thread for my avatar. See, this is Tolkien related... or at least Barrow-related.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:48 PM   #4
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Matrix Reloaded is awesome. The movie is truly unbelievable. The computer graphics are like no other, just like they were when the first came out. Of course its no LOTR but its up there on my list. Everyone should go see it, even if you don't like the plot the fighting is enough to keep you intrigued.
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 10:11 PM   #5
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Haven't seen it yet, but will soon. Except, you guys, I think you should get this (somehow) to be Tolkien related, because so far it seems to be a Matrix discussion. <P>~Menelien
Old 05-20-2003, 12:53 AM   #6
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm glad someone said something about Agent Elrond! lol! I thought the Matrix was wicked! It was so cool! My favourite line of Agent Smith's is 'Me, me, me...Me too...' It was just wicked. How good were the effects?! Wow, I was blown away...<BR>The only problem with it is that I still don't understand that twist at the end! Another reason to see it again <P>I don't really see what this thread has to do with LOTR though so maybe someone should make it a bit more LOTR orientated?<p>[ May 20, 2003: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 05-20-2003, 03:14 AM   #7
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I prefer Elrond to Agent Smith. I'm not a Matrix fan. Which also means that I think solely of Elrond when I watch Lotr
Old 05-20-2003, 04:18 AM   #8
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I saw LotR before I saw the Matrix. I think he was better in the Smith role than the Elrond. He seemed too mean and nasty for an elf lord.<P>(I saw that "Me me me!" line on tv, eeurgh! He wasn't kidding when he said developing an ego! )

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 04:20 AM   #9
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I, personaly, quite liked him as Elrond, though I am yet to see him as Agent Smith <P>~Menelien
Old 05-20-2003, 02:18 PM   #10
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I also saw Lord of the Rings before The Matrix. So when I saw the Matrix I was going nuts! I expected him to grow pointed ears at any second. I'm going to see Matrix two soon.<P>HURRAY FOR AGENT ELROND!!!<P>(And this is LOTR related because to alot of us Agent Smith IS Elrond.)
Old 05-20-2003, 02:21 PM   #11
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For some reason I didn't connect Hugo Weaving to the two characters. I saw the Matrix first, I think, but had forgotten about it by the time I saw LOTR. Now I can't watch The Matrix without expecting him to morph into Elrond...
Old 05-20-2003, 02:38 PM   #12
The Flame Of Anor
Animated Skeleton

The Flame Of Anor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought he makes a great either; if he puts on sunglasses he looks 1000 times as sinister. I think this is why he never broke his glasses in the matrix. (really)
Old 05-20-2003, 03:46 PM   #13
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nah, Keanu broke them for him.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:49 PM   #14
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think he actually does a better job as Agent Smith than he does as Elrond ( it's hard to get used to an elf with eyebrows like THAT [scary] ). I just drop the Agent part & refer to him as Elrond whenever I watch The Matrix. I just saw The Matrix: Reloaded (2) today, great movie! Although the scene with Neo & Trinity could've been cut out easily ( it didn't add a thing to the movie, geez we already know they like eachother... ).
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 12:28 AM   #15
Elrond Jr
Pile O'Bones

Elrond Jr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Everyone should go see it, even if you don't like the plot the fighting is enough to keep you intrigued. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Yeah, he did great in both movies, I think....except the above quote.....if u dont like the plot.....no offence, but in the matrix there practically is no plot, at least not in the 2nd one. Thatz what makes lotr so great...awesome plot!
Old 05-23-2003, 09:24 AM   #16
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have to agree there. I can't watch a movie with no or limited plot. It's just and hour and a half music video then. Now I haven't seen Matrix-Reloaded so I really can't comment on that particular movie.<P>H.C.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:45 PM   #17
Kiah
Animated Skeleton

Kiah has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saw the Matrix before LOTR and then I saw FOTR and I was like: Hold on a sec...isn't that Agent Smith?! Love the pic with "Hobbits are a Virus" I have been looking for that for ages! I agree that the scene with Trinity and Neo was totally unneccessary. (sp?) I hope nothing like that happens in ROTK *eep!*
Old 07-20-2003, 03:52 PM   #18
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It's strange to see how different the two characters are, but they act pretty similar in a few moments. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That is how I noticed it was HW in the Matrix. I didn't see the first Matrix until a couple months before Reloaded came out. I had already seen the FOTR and TTT so Elrond was quite familar to me. Anyway when I was watching the Matrix I looked at Agent Smith closely when he still had his shades on and I was like "I bet anything that is Hugo." When he took his glasses off in the interogation room I was like, "I was right! It is Elrond!" I loved the fight scene with him in Reloaded it was very amusing.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 04:08 PM   #19
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I saw the Matrix before LOTR and then I saw FOTR and I was like: Hold on a sec...isn't that Agent Smith?! Love the pic with "Hobbits are a Virus" I have been looking for that for ages! I agree that the scene with Trinity and Neo was totally unneccessary. (sp?) I hope nothing like that happens in ROTK *eep!*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Sorry ops, but I can't PM Kiah this q 'cause Kiah doesn't have that option. What's with the sp? I'm stupid.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:00 PM   #20
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only Real Estel posted: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think he actually does a better job as Agent Smith than he does as Elrond ... I just saw The Matrix: Reloaded (2) today, great movie! Although the scene with Neo & Trinity could've been cut out easily ( it didn't add a thing to the movie, geez we already know they like eachother... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I totally agree with all quoted sentiments.<BR>Although I think his Elrond performance is one of the weakest parts of LotR.<P>HE is an awesone Agent in #1.<P>The Whole 'Misterrrr Anderson...it seems you have been living Two lives..." is some of the best acting ever. It is flawless, especially his low growl after NEo deliveras his reply. Perfect. I would have given him an Oscar for it. <P>As for the Matrix2 having no plot? I think you need to see it a few more times <P>Can youi tell me whether Zion is actually a big human genetic diversity lab or not?<BR>Is neo 'THe ONe in the real world [ of Matrix] also? Is Morpheous' faith based soley on the Oracle or has he tapped something deeper? <P>We now know there were 5 NEo's and Zion's before but how many times, if ever has Smith gone AWOL? <P>PLUS - the parallels with the real world politics and mass-societal manipulation are barely under the surface.<P>While I love the LotR as a book far beyond Matrix as Movies the Matrix takes the prize. It is not a bastardization of anything else [well except in a small way, The Neuromancer and co.]. <P>My rant - <BR>done.<P>[and I hope that helped to continue to give it enough Tolkien related content to keep this thread from its emminent doom another few moments... <p>[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:35 PM   #21
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

I wouldn't say Hugo was WEAK presay as Elrond, rather that he did a fare job acting the job they gave him. He just doesn't really fit Elrond that well, & that's not his fault at all.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:54 PM   #22
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

wouldn't this work better in Middle Earth Mirth? Oh well. Guess not, since it hasn't been moved. <P>That's really funny though, sounds like something crazy I would do. I will have to make sure I do that if I go see it.
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 05:58 AM   #23
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
When I first warched the Matrix (about 3 years ago) My initial reaction to the agents the first time they showed was `What are the Men in Black doing there?!!!'<P>P.S does anyone else think Hugo Weaving and Sam Neill have THE coolest eyebrows or am i just weird...well, weirder than you people anyway (NO!!! I am not implying ANYTHING!!!) <P>Rugby Update...All Blacks:Australia game is going to the AB's at 43:21 with 1 minute to go....oh lookie, We just won!!!! 50:21
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 12:09 PM   #24
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>P.S does anyone else think Hugo Weaving and Sam Neill have THE coolest eyebrows or am i just weird...well, weirder than you people anyway (NO!!! I am not implying ANYTHING!!!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I love Elrond's eyebrows! They set him apart, and I love a unique look! And no one goes crazy like Sam Neill (anyone seen "In the Mouth of Madness" or "Event Horizon")! Anyway, what pity do you have for someone who sees Mitzi del Bra from Priscilla, Queen of the Desert everytime Elrond comes on the screen? <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 06:34 PM   #25
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
You know that part in the Matrix, just after Neo breaks Smiths Sunnies and he has that totally evil, dark expression?!!!<P>Hugo looks really cool right there!!!<P>P.S We won the rugby, we won the rugby!!!!!!!! (All of NZ is celebrating)
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 06:53 PM   #26
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Ah yes, you can just read his expression: " All right, now you've done it you insolant freak! You've gone and broken my favorite sunglasses!" Oh well, Morpheus' are better anyway, if I ever saw a pair of those press-on-your-nose sunglasses, I would pay almost any amount for them (although I tipically shy away from sunglasses...)
Old 07-26-2003, 10:38 PM   #27
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

For those who say Hugo Weaving did "better" in his role as Agent Smith (when compared to his performance as Elrond), I ask that you keep something in mind - the only reference we have for Agent Smith is the original Matrix.<P>Elrond has existed for decades in book form. To me, it would be impossible to pull off an *exact* performance in the time given. There's not enough time to successfully portray him as he is described in the books. So, the compromise is a slightly modified character. And I'm totally okay with that. I think Hugo did an amazing job as Elrond.<P>As Agent Smith, there is NO comparison. The man acts like a machine - his dialogue is chilling, and his movements are almost unreal. Then again, the only frame of reference is the original movie.<P>Either way, any guy who can cross-dress and still be a blockbuster success is a good actor in my book (that was a Priscilla, Queen of the Desert reference ).<P>I adore the guy. Seeing many, many more of him in Reloaded was certainly enjoyable. He's a tasty cake.<P>And a great actor.