The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
McKellen To Follow Del Toro?

Reportedly, Ian McKellen is as tired of the production delays on The Hobbit as was Del Toro.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Hmmf. Can't say I blame the guy.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
That has made my day... I really would love to see a new gandalf. McKellen desperately overrated imo.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Hobbit production is going so slow, I'd be surprised if everybody didn't just drop out. Eventually it will have taken so long that there just wont be a film; which is probably for the best.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Wight

PrinceOfTheHalflings is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The main problem with that report is that it says that David Yates will be directing. Mr Yates denied that (nearly a month ago) and as well we all know Peter Jackson is now slated to direct. So ... it's hard to take a report seriously when they get such basic facts wrong.

Anyway I'm sure that McKellan is free to do other things while he's waiting. His situation is quite different to Del Toro, who was part of the production team and also one of the writers. McKellan is only required if (and when) the cameras start filming.
PrinceOfTheHalflings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as the Prince there -- the reporting in that piece seemed to be pretty ill-informed all the way round.

I highly doubt McKellan would prefer retirement to one last Middle-earth adventure. He seems to have enjoyed the first one so much. The factor with him is, obviously, that he's not getting any younger. But I doubt he'd even have to work all that hard on the picture, depending on how much White Council stuff they work in there. After all, Gandalf disappears for a large-ish chunk of the story.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The news probably should be treated with a grain of salt, but I would think it likely there is a least a kernal of truth in it, that McKellan is dissatisfied.

Here is another source for the same story.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
They should just sack Ian McKellen and use that replacement wizard from Harry Potter, what's his name, Micheal Gambon? Hey, he's already replaced Richard Harris, so what's another white-bearded, muttering wizard, more or less.

The movie will be a travesty anyway.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
The news probably should be treated with a grain of salt, but I would think it likely there is a least a kernal of truth in it, that McKellan is dissatisfied.

Here is another source for the same story.
Aaanyway... I don't doubt that McKellan is eager to play Gandalf and impatient with the delays. But the idea that he'd walk from the project altogether? I doubt it. He's a bit of a wild-card too, isn't he? Wasn't he the one who made some announcement about a start date a few months ago that the Jackson camp then had to walk back?

Despite the "all is well" PR, one gets the impression that they've been trying to get this thing out of the gate for months now, but that MGM's financial trouble has kept it stalled. I'm sure it's annoying, but I think McKellan is just venting.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:19 AM   #10
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
A very brief, and not so informative article! I tend to agree with previous posters that it doesn't fill me with faith in the information provided. David Yates directed only two out of six of the Potter films, and as for Sir Ian making a new name for himself with the LOTR movies! He's had a long and distinguished career, and as brilliant as he was as Gandalf (one of the few characters who I thought were done really well), he'd already made quite a name for himself apart from the movies. It would be a shame for the movie and for the fans if he did pull out, but on the off chance it actually does get finished one day, I'll still go and see it with my son now he's nearly finished reading the book.