The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-27-2006, 03:06 AM   #1
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Werewolf and Enneagrams

I don't know how many of you are familiar with Enneagram/Myers Briggs-type personality tests, but the recent WW game got me thinking about them.
(Disclaimer - even though I've got management-type chums who swear by these tests, I personally find them a bit too formulaic. But still, the concept is kind of interesting)
The four personality preferences, as tested by this system, are explained here:
http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/tt/t...l/mb-simpl.htm
All four are relevant to Werewolf play to some extent, but I think the most important ones are 2 and 3 - how you process information and how you make decisions. Do you prefer to deal with facts (S - Sensory) or ideas (N - Intuitive)? Do you make decisions based on logic (T - Thinker) or values and personal beliefs (F - Feeler)?

Now, in the last Werewolf game, Formendacil said that his downfall was partly due to this:
Quote:
The problem, though, is that such a reputation requires Ordos around at the end of the game to speak up on your behalf, and all of our Voting Record people had died off: LMP, Spawn, TGWBS... All that was left was the Gut Feeling people (for the most part), and here I was shot.
In the same game, Valier said the following:
Quote:
I have found this game and the players in it hard to judge. I have been fairly quiet and not throwing random and strange theories out there. I normally see weird connections and plans forming around me. I usually get a feeling about someone and say 8 times out of 10 I tend to be correct at the end. I see analysis as confusing, I swear my brain does not work that way. I think the things I see about others are usually arbitrary or soft in reasoning. But this game........wow it's hard to tell.
This would, under the system, make her a very strong NF, Intuitive Feeler. Formendacil meanwhile claims, on behalf of spawn, LMP and Guy, strong ST (Sensing Thinker) tendencies. (I think he sees himself here too, am I right?) Do they agree with this assessment?

So, where are you on the spectrum and how does this effect your playing style? On tests, I'm usually a fairly strong N but quite evenly split between F and T and this is reflected in how I play, I try to steer between two poles, which often ends up in a god-awful mental shipwreck, frankly.

Of course, there are those who probably think we shouldn't even be discussing our playing styles - too much information for the enemy....
Old 03-27-2006, 07:24 AM   #2
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Well I've taken the Myers-Briggs test a couple years back.

I came out, as I recall, as an ENTP, or Extroverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Perceptive. Make of that what you will.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Yes, that's what I usually came out as too...

So do you think you're an 'instinct' or 'system' player, Jenny?
Old 03-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I'm not sure...somewhere in between. Mithalwen taught me to distrust my instincts, but I never go in for deep and multipaged analysis, and I do not pick up on details. Someone always points out my post count or some such nothing as though that proves my guilt and my response is always "huh? You're COUNTING? Why?" I am very definitely a big-picture person. So when I think someone is guilty, it may be a very reasoned, thought out thing, but I can't point to the myriad of little things that caused me to think so. It's not a random gut feeling, I just can't articulate what I've noticed, because I don't consciously notice things on that level.

But I am also very very careful with my phrasing, whether innocent or guilty. It's always been my opinion that words are fairly arbitrary and it is a speaker's duty to narrow down the pool of possible meanings as much as possible. That almost got me in trouble last game...I confessed to taking meticulous care with every post, and Firefoot thought that seemed wolvish...but it wasn't. I'm just very careful with what I say.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Well I came out as ISFP so that's:

Introverted - that's pretty much right. It's why I don't post all that often. I prefer to sit back and watch others interact without posting myself and talking about my inner thoughts.

The others are about half right I think. Or at least I hope!
Old 03-27-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
I remember this test. Instead of usually taking it in a psychology class ( This test is based on Mr. Jung's original personality theories), this was an assignment for english class so our teacher could learn of even more ways to get into our heads...

I came out as an INTJ from my original score, and not being a big fan of Jung, I don't really reguard it that much as I should like too.

Lovely link dear, I almost forgot about this thing. I believe I shall explore more of this.

~ Aesthete
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #7
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Of course, there are those who probably think we shouldn't even be discussing our playing styles - too much information for the enemy....
Um, yes, that would be me.

Though in truth, I've taken this test before but have now forgotten what my results were. And I don't feel much like taking it again.

So put me down as:

Introverted Recalcitrant Secretive Cavedweller.

Last edited by Diamond18; 03-28-2006 at 01:57 PM. Reason: bloody tags!
Diamond18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:15 PM   #8
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
ISTJ- heavy on the Judging, apparently.

Make of that what you will...

(Results from Test 2)
Old 03-28-2006, 02:29 PM   #9
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm ESFJ

Heavy on the E and F

Yep sounds like me.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:16 PM   #10
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Quote:
And what if you could answer yes to all depending on mood?
Yes, Mith, I agree, which is why I said this in my first post...

Quote:
I personally find them a bit too formulaic
I moaned about exactly this point to my management consultant chums who were using me as a guinea pig...and they replied that was a typical NP thing to say...

What I'm really trying to do, I suppose, is look for tools to analyse and explain the different ways we all have of playing the game, the methods we all use to try to reach a solution...the quiz above is not ideal, I know, but it's as good a way as any I could think of...
Old 03-28-2006, 07:23 PM   #11
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
I decided to take it again, since it's been awhile.

Apparently, it's still:

Introverted: 56

iNtuitive: 75

Thinking: 88

Judging: 11

I thought I might have changed a bit, but I guess it's just a frame of mind that has developed. Oh well, I still enjoy playing and learning about everyone else far more. If there ever could be a better outlet in which people ruthlessly are thrown off a cliff of cover to show their true means and colours to their personality, it's Werewolf.

~ Aesthete
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:27 PM   #12
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
INTJ, just about every time I take one of these things.

I guess the T comes through, since I try to be one of the logic and contingency planners in Werewolf. But so does the 'N.' A lot of what gets my attention and then brings down the analysis is based on gut feeling. So both.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:04 AM   #13
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

This Test is not an Enneagram but is similar in concept, and so I thought those who were interested in these things for Werewolf-psychology purposes would like to check it out. Posting results is optional, of course. To not clutter the thread, mine is here.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:16 PM   #14
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

I'm rather puzzled by your scores, Diamond dear...
I shall be doing this myself later, when I've more time...
Old 05-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #15
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

What can I say. I am in many ways a contradictory person.

I got around to taking your test and this is what I got, don't remember if it matches the last time I did one of these things:

INFJ

Quote:
The Dominant function is the perceptive one of iNtuition. Characteristics associated with this function include:

* Likes looking at information from a global viewpoint, spotting patterns and relationships, that lead to an understanding of the key issues
* Focuses more on possibilities for the future than the here-and-now
* Enjoys change, challenge, and variety
Well, the last one is definitely true. The first one sounds about right, but I'm not sure about that middle one.

Quote:
In a team environment, the INFJ can contribute by:

* observing and understanding the team dynamics, and encouraging the team to recognise them and take appropriate action
* listening carefully to various viewpoints, and being able to identify potential areas of agreement to be used as a basis to move forward
* being trustworthy, meeting commitments to a consistent standard
* contributing creative ideas, particularly those involving people
* bringing the team to make decisions about important issues
* promoting harmony and co-operation
I dunno, do I?

Quote:
The potential ways in which an INFJ can irritate others include:

* not including others in the INFJ's process of developing ideas and vision
* not giving criticism or expressing disagreement when it is appropriate
* ignoring current reality in pursuit of insight and meaning - perhaps overlooking some tasks that need to be done
* making errors of fact
* not promoting their ideas in the group
* wanting to pursue ideas without fully thinking through the consequences in, say, cost terms
Hmmmm.

Quote:
Under extreme stress, fatigue or illness, the INFJ's shadow may appear - a negative form of ESTP. Example characteristics are:

* acting very impulsively, making decisions without thinking them through
* doing things to excess - e.g.: eating, drinking or exercising
* being critical of others, and finding fault with almost everything
* being preoccupied about unimportant details and doing things that have no meaning
* acting in a very materialistic and selfish way
* cutting corners, breaking the rules, and even contradicting the INFJ's own values
Actually, this sounds about right. Eek.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:22 AM   #16
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

I got rather different results from yours, Di, in your quiz...
...they were fairly accurate actually but some surprises - 99% activity level despite clicking the middle box for all questions relating to such things? - but I don't know how to do photobucket so I can't post them.