The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2008, 03:23 AM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hobbit delayed by a year?

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/3861879.cms

Credit Crunch?? Waiting till the 3D technology is up to scratch (if the rumours are correct)? PJ et al too busy on other stuff? Creative differences??
Old 12-19-2008, 03:28 AM   #2
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Actually, I posted that - but as its not 'controversial' I'll leave it under Lal's name & go & hassle her about not logging out when she uses my computer!!!!
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
One wonders about the whole Smeagol/Gollum parallel in these Davem/Lalwende posts. Yes, we wonders, precious.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Vaunting ambition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/3861879.cms

Credit Crunch?? Waiting till the 3D technology is up to scratch (if the rumours are correct)? PJ et al too busy on other stuff? Creative differences??
Or finally realising that they are doing the thing back to front and are hog-tied by the parameters of the LOTR films and having to get actors to play younger or unchanged from how they were over a decade ago? Or that however much they think they write better than Tolkien that it isn't going to be so easy to cobble together a second film especially given the limitations already mentioned ?
As the Irish say when giving directions "If I were going there, I wouldn't start from here" .

Was that lawsuit finally settled?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Naz
Shade of Carn Dűm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Wooooah. I mean... woah.

....more time to get in on it; kekeke. (shifty eyes)

But seriously, that's... quite a delay. I know this may sound blasphemous, but one wonders if all the issues are really well worth the agitation & postponement. :\
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Pipe

Given PJs "liberties", especially with TTT and ROTK,
I wouldn't be too disappointed if TH results like the
FOTR movie, and the bridge movie isn't quite as bad
as the second and third movies with their
"liberal" interpretations/additions.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nay, folks, good or ill, tis not true.

TheOneRing.net has it on good authority (from the director himself) that there is no delay. This rumour is a rumour and naught else.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
This is intriguing news indeed. I saw the item late last night and have been waiting for it to break in the trades all day. So far it hasn't, which makes me wonder how accurate it is. Then again, we're on the cusp of the holidays, so it could be they're just running with skeleton crews at the trades at this point.

I would be surprised if the delay were the result of "creative differences". Once a movie starts rolling down the tracks, there aren't many people involved with it who are not expendable and can't be replaced within a few days. Still, I do note with interest that I keep seeing GDT's name pop up in association with new projects. One is even mentioned in today's trades, a project that he will script with Chris McQuarrie for Tom Cruise to star in. If memory serves, another one that's he supposed to be involved with is a trilogy of vampire novels. The guy must be booked solid through about 2020.

I hadn't heard anything about 3D technology, but that story might have some merit. James Cameron is, I think, very close to starting on a new big-budget sci-fi film that is supposed to use cutting edge 3D tech that he's no doubt developing in-house. I guess it's possible that they'd wait for it, but if so it's probably only one factor. I'd speculate that the other would be a feeling that the script isn't ready to get into production and hit the release window they're looking at, so better to push it and make sure that everyone's happy with it.

It'll be interesting to watch this story develop.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sorry, if I had posted a couple minutes earlier I could have saved you the speculation.