The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #1481
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Oh, it doesn't matter if they do or not, I'm about two spoonfuls of dirt away from freedom. There's a reason why I always ask for cell # 47.
Of course there is.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #1482
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Today I found out there's a band called Vavamuffin. You know what I thought of...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #1483
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Today I found out there's a band called Vavamuffin. You know what I thought of...
Haha, that is so cool!
Old 06-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #1484
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
When you (not only occasionally, but) consistently misread 'modified' as 'modfired' (as in e.g., 'a noun modfired by a relative clause').
Old 06-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #1485
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I was washing my hands and the soap said that it was "Foamy", I misread it as "Formy".

EDIT: I just figured out that I have the second most posts on this thread, as on the Newspaper thread. I'm only seconded to the number of posts by Lommy. How did it get this way?

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 06-11-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: My astonishment grows
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #1486
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
When you (not only occasionally, but) consistently misread 'modified' as 'modfired' (as in e.g., 'a noun modfired by a relative clause').

Really? I thought it was 'modfired'. You're right! O.O
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #1487
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When you live with another Downer in a neighbourhood whose name translates as place of barrows.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #1488
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

'Prune' juice is no longer existent. It is now 'Rune' Juice.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #1489
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I have a work contact I've known for years named "Mara". I've recently begun referring to her as Mira(ndir) without thinking.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #1490
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
When you're having a wonderful holiday and see lots of 'downers but still miss the 'downs a lot... (and are therefore posting something random there in the middle of the night even though you have to wake up early the next morning... )
Old 07-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #1491
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When you play live Mafia, and you can't:

1. Call someone a wolf
2. Say someone looks furry
3. Say someone is "under the reindeer"

etc.

I kept on having to remind myself that I wasn't playing Werewolf on the 'Downs.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #1492
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post

1. Call someone a wolf

etc.

When I was at camp last week, Mafia was the afternoon activity (mostly because of me, and I'm not even being egotistical). I prefaced each game with, "Okay, guys, I'm probably going to use terms you don't understand, like wolves and seers, so when I do, just let me keep talking, 'cause I'll catch it and clarify eventually". They were surprisingly cool with it.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #1493
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Oh no! Not Werewolf references in real life! D:
Old 07-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #1494
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:

1. Call someone a wolf

etc.

I know! I was playing Mafia, and it was driving me crazy, because WWinty was the only one who knew the least bit about analyzing! And, of course, we died on Night 1 and Day 1, respectively, as one of the 'wolves' had played with us before.

Also, new 'wolf' tactic - kill your own packmate overNight. Yeah, I didn't get it either.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #1495
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Okay, I just discovered something very interesting which is definitely a proof of strong BD influence. I found my notes from some university lecture from sometime in spring 2008. The particular note is scribbled on the edge of the paper, apparently I wanted to note something in haste and used a BD referrence to save time. The note goes like this:

Twin imagination (Coleridge) - follow. germ. idealism - already what enters us from the outside (aesthema) is also primary imagination (reputedly Leibniz/reputedly from Kabbalah/reputedly from Talmud-Kitanna's avvie).

I am unable to uncover anymore what exactly is the avvie part referring to; but apparently during that time it was something so obvious that I used it while writing the note to sum up something I would otherwise have to describe with many words
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #1496
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
When stopped at a light, and on the back of the mobile home you see in big letters Shasta. I don't need to go in too much detail of the mixed emotions of first reaction: HEHEHE MUST TELL SHASTA NOW! Then "Oh, but he's not here..."
Old 08-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #1497
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Maybe when you spend more time dreaming of Barrowdowners than you do dreaming of other people?

But that might not be addiction to the Barrowdowns so much as addiction to Barrowdowners.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #1498
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
When a friend tells you she's studying "A & P" and she hopes she does well on the test tomorrow and you say "Why do you have a test on alien and phantom?"
Old 10-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #1499
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

There's a major road here called Barry Downe. I don't think I have to explain what I always misread it as.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #1500
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
My 5 signs of being a Tolkienutter (nuts about Tolkien)

1. When something comes up, the first think that comes to mind is an episode from one of Tolkie's works
2. I've read LotR so many times that can tell you from 1 sentence who, when, to who, why, etc, said the line
3. My parents had to confiscate the books a few times because I've reading them too much
4. In every library that I come to the first thing that I check is which Tolkien books they have
5. I feel contempt for people that say that LotR is useless but never read it and don't know who Tolkien is
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:35 AM   #1501
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Psst... this thread is for Barrow-Downs addictions, this one is for signs of LotR obsession.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #1502
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
oooops! thnx
Old 10-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #1503
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
When you keep coming back.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #1504
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

When every time you have to do research for a major essay all the information you need is right here, and all the rest will come by itself.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:02 AM   #1505
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
When you keep coming back.
...in my case, after several years. Even real life has failed to keep me away.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #1506
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

You know you're addicted to this place, when instead of Hey there's a member with a username from LOTR/Sil/TH/etc you read the books and think Here's the name of so-and-so who's on the Downs.

Pathetic.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #1507
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
When whatever you open Firefox for, you automatically go first on the 'Downs and then wonder how you got there...
That's what happens with my Explorer. I open the internet to do research but somehow instead of having "Google" I have "BD" on the page...

Edit: I have to add that before looking through the last few pages of this thread, I was OK with the word "modified". However, just now I encountered in one a certain website, and lo! I read it as "modfired". Is this a disease of some kind?

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-05-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #1508
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
You know you're obsessed with Barrow Downs Roleplaying when...

• ... spending your noon break at the uni cafeteria and finding a flyer from the Students' Committee (acronymed AStA in German), you start wondering what's happened in your RPG since you last checked.
  • ... the first thought you associate with the name Aldarion is no longer "Erendis's husband" but "the phantom".
  • ... reading a post by or mentioning Brinn, you have to remind yourself that this is not Mnemo but the real one.
(to be continued when participant observation yields new material)
Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #1509
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
  • ... the first thought you associate with the name Aldarion is no longer "Erendis's husband" but "the phantom".
  • ... reading a post by or mentioning Brinn, you have to remind yourself that this is not Mnemo but the real one.
(to be continued when participant observation yields new material)
Lol, ditto! Especially with Aldarion. Also Gloredhel. Instead of thinking about a first age woman etc I think of the Swan Players etc.

And Celebrindal is no longer Idril's name for me!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #1510
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkGeek
There's one at every party--the downer that takes a happy moment and ruins it for everybody. Like ruining a great discussion about Peter Jackson's Hobbit movie by bringing up Meet The Feebles. We call those guys pessimists, and they can be real downers.
No, no they can't.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #1511
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
No, no they can't.
Real Downers can and will ruin discussions that praise Peter Jackson.

Today, I learned the first definition of flip-flopping. It made me think of Lommy.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #1512
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Bahaha Agan! That gives a whole new meaning to Lommy's flip flops on ... ah ... everyone!
Old 12-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #1513
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

After a week of staying with a friend and using her laptop while she's in class, the Barrow-Downs is her second most visited website.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #1514
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
After a week of staying with a friend and using her laptop while she's in class, the Barrow-Downs is her second most visited website.

When subscribing to threads is pointless because you visit the Downs more often than your email.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #1515
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Bahaha Agan! That gives a whole new meaning to Lommy's flip flops on ... ah ... everyone!
So this is what you've been talking about during my absence? How nice! But if you dare say something like that about me in any ww game ever from now on, I'll get you lynched.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #1516
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
Today, I learned the first definition of flip-flopping. It made me think of Lommy.
Never heard that one, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's bogus. A *lot* of Urban Dictionary's "definitions" aren't real– not even real slang, I mean.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #1517
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Never heard that one, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's bogus. A *lot* of Urban Dictionary's "definitions" aren't real– not even real slang, I mean.
I can't remember who exactly I learnt it from, but it wasn't Urban Dictionary. I think it was... a professor!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #1518
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
When you use your phone to check up on what's been happening and to play a game if WW due to lack of computer and Internet......not as easy as it sounds when you have auto-correct, although it makes for some very interesting sentences that never get posted
Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #1519
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

When a brief look at the Downs before school and a couple hours after become a habit.

When you start thinking in BD typing abbreviations (like Pee-Jay instead of Peter Jackson, LoteR instead of Lord of the Rings, The-Sil instead of The Silmarillion, You-Tea for Unfinished Tales, etc...)

Yes. Then you know you're addicted.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #1520
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

When anything really good or really bad/annoying happens, one of the first things that enters your mind is "I should post about this on the Shire/Mordor thread..."

Yes, my printer has just chewed on half a pack of paper, and I just spend 20 minutes wrestling it from it's teeth. And right when I finished I thought I should assign this to Mordor... but thinking of the Downs made me not mad again.