The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2004, 06:12 PM   #481
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuelve
When you get bored you start writing down all the names of fellow Downers you can remember for absolutely no reason.Then you can't wait to get home so you can post about your latest BD withdrawl.

Peace,
Vuelve
AH! how.how... HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT! I have not told anyone about what goes threw my scropionic mind! Ah !... I'M TELLING ON YOU!
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:15 PM   #482
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotff
I have hanged around the site for quite a while... but just joined yesterday... DOSNT MEAN IM NOT ADDICTED
Ah, yes... i remember when i was just like you... Soon, soon you will be swepted in. And after that, there is NO return...
Old 05-27-2004, 06:20 PM   #483
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriel Undomiel
~when you use your friends computer -to get to the 'Downs- in her birthday party.
My stupid computer's got a virus

THE Ka loves its friend Megan the BOOGERBEANS too much to do that... wait let me check... yep. i've done that before too.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:24 PM   #484
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeggaladiel
You weep because nobody on your campus is a Tolkien fan. *sniff sniff* I'M SO ISOLATED! HELP ME! HELP MEEE!

You get angry when you wait more than two hours for someone to answer your post in an Inn. (Green Dragon, White Horse, it doesn't matter.) *Maeggaladiel checks her watch.* "Come on, people, I'm WAITING!")

You cry because you drew a wonderful avatar on Paint and it was too big to use. CURSE YOU, PAINT! CURRRSSEE YOUUUU! Making it smaller warped Boromir's face.

You get envious of other people's avatars. *folds arms, pouts* Why can't I have nice things?!?!

Maeg
BOROMIR?! WHERE! I'M COMING MY LOVE BOAT!

The ka jumps out to its computer screen, smacks face.

Ah, you poof of a computer.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:21 AM   #485
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
You get angry when you wait more than two hours for someone to answer your post in an Inn. (Green Dragon, White Horse, it doesn't matter.) *Maeggaladiel checks her watch.* "Come on, people, I'm WAITING!")
Ah, yes, I completely agree! (C'mon Alaksoron! I'm waiting!)
Old 05-28-2004, 11:35 AM   #486
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye

Quote:
Ah, yes, I completely agree! (C'mon Alaksoron! I'm waiting!)
*sigh* I've been waiting for more than a week for my conversation partner in the Green Dragon to say something. It's terrible! I have to get used to the fact that some people have real lives. (Unlike me)

You know you're addicted to the Barrow Downs when you get exited that people actually join your Society for Nearsighted Elves. It started out as just a joke, and now we've got eight members. Eowyn Skywalker is thinking about adding a section on her proboard just for the society. And Siritheruwen, I read your sig and I feel for you. Maybe you could join the Society as an Ambassador to All Nearsighed Non-Elves. Tell me if you're interested.

Quote:
BOROMIR?! WHERE! I'M COMING MY LOVE BOAT!
I created an avatar on Paint of Boromir doing Disco, THE ka. He was too big, though. Sizing him down ruined his widdle faceywacy. So I settled for nearsighted Arwen.

~Maeg
Old 05-28-2004, 08:49 PM   #487
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

aye, no worries maeg... it happens to all of us... bloody poof of a thing though, computers... they help and then they can ruin your creativity with one download... Personally, i just sketch then take a laser scanner hook it up to my computer and scan... works most of the time. Then you have to crop, cut, ect...

Hope to see more art soon.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:29 PM   #488
Orcrist
Wight

Orcrist has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

You know you're addicted to Barrowdowns when:

1.Your latest insult is "Stupid, fat hobbit"(THis pertains more to LOTR)
2.You consider rewriting your copy of LOTR in green just so it feels like you are on barrowdowns.
3.You refuse to tell your sister about the new chapter by chapter read through and discussion of LOTR because you are afraid she will cut into your time.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:08 PM   #489
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
A Barrow-downs addiction can take the form of spending late nights pondering the havoc that could be wreaked by hybrid Downers.

Just think: Bęthburra and The Squatter of Amon Rimbaud...

*shudders*
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."

Last edited by Son of Númenor; 09-28-2005 at 03:18 AM.
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 06:54 PM   #490
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
When you spend your spare time on the 'Downs trying to pronounce Marileangorifurnimaluim's name.

Quote:
And Siritheruwen, I read your sig and I feel for you. Maybe you could join the Society as an Ambassador to All Nearsighed Non-Elves. Tell me if you're interested.
But of course!
Old 06-25-2004, 07:26 PM   #491
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
No return, my foot...

Quote:
Ah, yes... i remember when i was just like you... Soon, soon you will be swepted in. And after that, there is NO return...
*sigh* Would that it were so. But alas, for this is the first time in Two whole months that I have shown my, erm, face in the fair realm of the Downs. Now that I have completely bored myself with my own post, I shall continue.

Few, I feel old! I was here when this thread came around the first time! Checked it every three hours, too. That's obsession for ya. And another thing. I wouldn't be classified addicted if I didn't keep coming back. Drat. Now, if I disappear again, the shakes will come back. This truly is a nightmare...
Old 07-13-2004, 01:15 PM   #492
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: Several miles over the madness horizon and accelerating
Bekah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bekah
Exactly like me. I keep coming back, even though real life has prevented me from coming here for months. I'm not sure how many months, but I know it's plural.

*sigh* Does anybody remember me? Does anybody remember the original 'obsessed' thread? Or 'The Council of Elendili' that I posted in for twelve pages until a certain mod closed it......

If anyone does remember the latter thread, we have the same people as well as a few newcomers talking on our own messageboard 'Imladris' - http://elentari.proboards18.com

Anybody is more than welcome welcome to join.

Now I've finished promoting our website, I guess I'll catch up on the threads that have grown considerably since I last visited. *sigh*

Cheers,

~ Elentari II
Bekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:18 PM   #493
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Ah! People who return to the Downs after months away. Is there anything else as powerful a statement of the addictiveness of the 'Downs?
Old 11-04-2005, 08:52 AM   #494
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dűm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien Sign number 1:

When you are reading a local newspaper and come across this and immediately decide that it is worth your time to take a picture and post it on BD. (From Abercrombie and Shelob.)
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:44 AM   #495
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Númenor
A Barrow-downs addiction can take the form of spending late nights pondering the havoc that could be wreaked by hybrid Downers.

Just think: Bęthburra and The Squatter of Amon Rimbaud...

*shudders*

Excellent. Have you not considered the untramelled horror that could be wreaked by the conflicted Mister Undersaucepan, or the frankly disturbing Barrow-Sharkü?

However, anybody who isn't amused by dancing spawn of Squatter has had a humour-ectomy.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #496
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

How terrible! I hope he recovers.

Story about a similar double-take. When I was working at a recent Oil Exhibition there was a stand dedicated to a company called SPM. Made me stop and stare, anyway.

Exciting new ventures, Sauce?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #497
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimbaud
Excellent. Have you not considered the untramelled horror that could be wreaked by the conflicted Mister Undersaucepan, or the frankly disturbing Barrow-Sharkü?
And The Phantomer of the Rohirrim would cause more screaming fangirls than Beatlemania

My main symptom is I keep wanting to sign myself "Mith" elsewhere....and noone in my real life would have a clue...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:04 PM   #498
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Quote:
My main symptom is I keep wanting to sign myself "Mith" elsewhere....and noone in my real life would have a clue...
I was this ---><--- close to handing in a test I had signed Wilwarin "Insert my last name here". Luckily I noticed at the last second.

I just watched a Charlie Brown movie. Whenever they would call Snoopy by his name I'd be thinking "But his name is Eomer."

900 posts!!!!!
Old 11-04-2005, 08:19 PM   #499
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
I've found myself more than once wanting to sign e-mails to people I know in RL with Oromin. As well, every time AMP is mentioned in my AP Bio class, I think LMP. (It's first thing in the morning, you can't blame me for getting confused!)
Old 11-05-2005, 04:30 AM   #500
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
A very disturbing moment for me was when my brother tried to catch my attention by claiming to be the Saucepan Man. The most worrisome part being that I had no idea he knew anything about the Downs, except for my vague mutterings about werewolf games. My brother obviously stalks me.

I find, though, that threatening teachers and upcoming exams still have some influence on me and therefore I must conclude that I am not hopelessly addicted yet.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 09:08 AM   #501
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
As well, every time AMP is mentioned in my AP Bio class, I think LMP.
Well, everytime I see the abbreviations for World War Two (I forget how to do the roman numerals) I automatically wonder how Werewolf Two (WW2) got into my history book.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 09:41 AM   #502
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
I have solved that wee little problem. I created two accounts for MSN which is the only other thing that requires signing in.

Quote:
I just watched a Charlie Brown movie. Whenever they would call Snoopy by his name I'd be thinking "But his name is Eomer."
Now there's something I've done when I watched the comercials for those movies. And every time I take out a pan I think of SpM and everytime I see the Shrek movies Esty pops into my head.

Another symptom (for me at least) is when your at school talikng to your friends and you zone out and start thinking "Hmmm... I wonder who's posted on *Insert thread name here*?"
Old 11-05-2005, 12:25 PM   #503
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
When you discover "Formbi" in a book, and immediately assume that you have found the Star Wars equivalent of your 'Downs username...
Old 11-05-2005, 03:03 PM   #504
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
Obviously I was psychic and had anticipated this problem when I joined up, therefore choosing my own name for a nickname! (Or, you know, I just have no imagination).

You realise you're addicted though when the site takes precedence over practically anything else in your life. Eating, sleeping, talking to friends, doing all that nasty homework - guilty of all. 2am I went to bed last night after getting hooked reading an old thread.

And after reading through here, what is this Chat that people speak of?
Old 11-05-2005, 04:22 PM   #505
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
2:21 AM

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #506
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

When you've just spent half an hour looking for Barrow-Downers' names on Middle-Earth Magnets. I found fifteen.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #507
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
When you find yourself at the public library checking the forum on one computer... and then signning into another beside it just to see your name in its proper place of the nick-list... And when you think that the weird looks people are giving you will be cured by quickly starting work on a long anagram.

Last edited by Valesse; 11-05-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Valesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 08:28 PM   #508
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

um, you just spent an hour refreshing you browser over and over again, to no avail. that is when you are addicted!
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 08:36 PM   #509
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
The Eye

When you have been online allmost every night ever since you died and have yet to go to bed before 1 AM. (the last thing because you want be online at the same time as all those americans)

It is really quite disturbing. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:23 PM   #510
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
um, you just spent an hour refreshing you browser over and over again, to no avail. that is when you are addicted!
Um, actually I think that means you're involved in a great game of Werewolf & it's getting close to the voting deadline.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:16 PM   #511
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

yeah i guess that's what it means now. only this time i've spent like three hours...
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:27 PM   #512
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When you abscond from your group on an overseas trip in order to find internet access and check in at the downs....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #513
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
When you abscond from your group on an overseas trip in order to find internet access and check in at the downs....
I'm sure that's not as dorky, or as bad as, calling work saying you're sick.

Though I did that when I first came to the downs, I hope I've matured and calmed down since then.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:53 PM   #514
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
When you quite happily skip a lesson under the pretence of being ill to make sure you haven't missed something on werewolf! That did occur yesterday I'm ashamed to say.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #515
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
When you quite happily skip a lesson under the pretence of being ill to make sure you haven't missed something on werewolf! That did occur yesterday I'm ashamed to say.
Yeah.

I didn't go to theatre with my class tonight, so I could have time to write a death scene for one villager...
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:31 AM   #516
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
When you are watching a rivetting, award-winning West End production of Schiller's Mary Stuart, and as the faithless Leicester turns in his fellow conspirator, you nod and think to yourself, hmmm, how very like Werewolf....
Old 12-06-2005, 05:05 PM   #517
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
When you doze off during an afternoon lecture (because it was too late last night and too early this morning) and you wake up suddenly when you hear someone say Barrow Downs from faraway, you ask your neighbor for confirmation on what you have just heard and get informed you just missed a very interesting tutorial in which you were supposed to analyze Gaelic Folk tales and find comparisons with The Lord of the Rings.

This shows definite obsessiveness because

1) I instantly realized it was the first time I ever heard anyone say the Barrow Downs out loud - a realization which made me grin rather foolishly.
2) Because I immediately thought I could use this incident as an excuse to post something non-substantial here.
3) I only started caring about missing the class when I was already halfway through typing this post.

Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:10 PM   #518
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
I find, though, that threatening teachers and upcoming exams still have some influence on me and therefore I must conclude that I am not hopelessly addicted yet. -Cailin earlier in this thread
Didn't take too long did it Cailin?

This only shows moderate obsessiveness but, having forum.barrowdowns.com set as your homepage on your home and school computer.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:46 PM   #519
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dűm

Tolkien ...

Well, I would say that doing this definitely shows an extreme case of obsessiveness (or an extreme case of , "Nerdy Child with too Much Time on her Hands".)

Of course this leads to all sort of interesting discussions, like Balancing Barrowdowners and Barrowdowner Reactions.

E.X.:

Balance the folowing equations:
1. Celegorm2Hilde Bracegirdle6 + Oddwen2 --> Hilde Bracegirdle2Oddwen + CelegormOddwen2
2. THE KaOddwenHilde Bracegirdle + Hilde Bracegirdle3PiosennielOddwen4 + Hilde Bracegirdle2Oddwen

And I'm no chemist but I'm fairly sure that a Lalwende-Davem combination would be disastrous to the world.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:23 PM   #520
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
WHOA!!!

Abercrombie, that Periodic Table is hilarious!

Where did I put that rep button.....