The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-11-2003, 07:39 PM   #1
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril The Three on Sauron's hand

We know that the power of the 3 rings is to ward off the decay of time. To keep things unsullied...

What effect would the 3 rings have in the hand of Sauron? I think that, for example, Narya would have a terrible effect on the hearts and wills of Sauron's enemies... since Sauron would use the ring to weaken the resolve of his enemies...

Any other ideas? What about Vilya and Nenya?
Old 10-11-2003, 07:42 PM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Hmmm... interesting topic.

I think that if Sauron wielded the Three Elven Rings, they wouldn't work as they would have done with Elven bearers. Since the Elves made them for a specific purpose, to preserve from the decays of time, I don't think Sauron could have really done much with them, except preserve what he created or built.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 07:36 AM   #3
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The effects would not be the same, of course, but what type of effect would the 3 have then? Because the others made their bearers phantoms or really greedy... But what about the 3? Would they accelerate the decay of time, to bring the world to an end, and accelerate Morgoth's return? Just a thought...
Old 10-12-2003, 08:31 AM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

As I said in my post, I think that they would probably prolong the life of all of Sauron's creations, but would "freeze" Mordor as it was when Sauron recovered the Rings, as Nenya did to Lothlorien. Unless Sauron could completely change their purpose, I don't think they would accelerate anything, especially destruction, since that was what the Elves wanted to prevent when they created the Rings.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:32 AM   #5
rudeboy
Animated Skeleton

rudeboy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Couldn't he use them to his own if he recovered the one? Or could he just see the thoughts & conrtrol those who wore them?
rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 12:15 PM   #6
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

If he had recovered the One Ring, he wouldn't have been able to use the Three for his own purposes, but the minds of their bearers would have been laid bare before him. He would have been able to know whatever their Bearers were thinking, which is in itself, worse than death.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:21 PM   #7
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The slowing of time is in Tolkien's view (and thereofre in LotR the onyl improtant view [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) a minor sin...if Sauron got his hands on these things he'd make them a much bigger sin. Probably use them to permanatly coat his lands in torment and evil...as if they werne;t already. Good question. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 02:09 AM   #8
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Gandalf used his ring to 'kindle fire in the hearts of Sauron's enymies', or something like that. Maybe Sauron could use it to kindle fire in the hearts of his servants, so that they would even fight harder and fearcer for him? And the other two, had they not power of water and air? Imagine what Sauron could do with those elements, combined with the power of his One Ring!

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:12 AM   #9
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Now that I think about it, if Sauron had Vilya and Nenya, perhaps he could turn those elements against his enemies, and use them as weapons. The only problem with that theory is, since the Nazgul were afraid of fire and water, both being elements closely governed by Valar, couldn't Sauron have also been afraid of them?
Old 10-13-2003, 08:12 AM   #10
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Now that I think about it, if Sauron had Vilya and Nenya, perhaps he could turn those elements against his enemies, and use them as weapons. The only problem with that theory is, since the Nazgul were afraid of fire and water, both being elements closely governed by Valar, couldn't Sauron have also been afraid of them?
Old 10-13-2003, 09:40 AM   #11
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Never read anything about Sauron being afraid of water or wind. But maybe he still was afraid of water after his "Númenor Adventure" [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] He may even have had the same nightmares as the Professor had!

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 11:41 AM   #12
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] !!!

Seriously though..well, I doubt he liked floods anymore [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] but seeing as he owned Minas Tirith in the 1st Age, which was on an island, I doubt water worried him...and seeing as he has the whole burning-like-fire and Mount Doom eruptions thing going on, I doubt fire is abd either.

Actually: Mordor must be Hell (or Udun!) for the Nazgs! Imagine being near that huge mountain of fire when you fear fire! *Nasty*

Old 10-13-2003, 01:52 PM   #13
Secret Fire
Animated Skeleton

Secret Fire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Secret Fire
Sting

Sauron was Maya, not man wraith like the Nazgul, so therefore he would not have the same fears as the Nazgul in these regards, and their fear of them is mostly because fire scattered their vision at night (not to mention burning their cloaks) and water is controlled by Ulmo (or at least his Mayar helpers) who had not forsaken Middle earth and still worked in its favor, they would fear their power. The rings themselves, in my opinion, based more directly on the vala than any others as water is Ulmo's element (actually vai, but that's okay) and air is Manwe's element (vilya and nenya) and the third (narya) was for fire, much parallel to the secret fire that Lluvatar put into his creations, so Narya was more closely related to Lluvatar, perhaps.
musings of a fool!
Old 10-13-2003, 02:39 PM   #14
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I am not really sure but I think I read somewhere that Sauron wanted the Elves to make the rings so he could enslave them. If he gained the three rings he would probably do just that. Can you imagine what power he would have by enslaving Elrond and Galadriel. Orcs were made from Elves so one can only think what Elrond and Galadriel could be turned into when they fell to darkness. (In my opinion they probably would have died first then having their power used for evil but just think about it.)

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 02:48 PM   #15
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I doubt the Rings had vala-"power" in them. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

As for enslaving, that ddin't require Sauron the have the 3 - quite the opposite! If the Elves wear the 3 whilst Sauron ahs the One, he could control their minds through the Rings: "One Ring to Rule Them All!" If they didn't wear them (including if he got them himself) then that wouldn't happen.

Old 10-13-2003, 05:35 PM   #16
Secret Fire
Animated Skeleton

Secret Fire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Secret Fire
Ring

I wasn't saying that they had "vala power" (ask for it at your nearest super market) at all, but that the elves made them as a representation of the most powerful vala, or at least those with whom they were most closely related as a type of tribute etc.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:42 PM   #17
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that the Three Elven Rings would probably be useless for any purpose, good or evil, if Sauron had won a victory over Middle Earth. They were made by the Elves and thus would probably either die with the Elves or become useless to any new bearer. Or, just as Morgoth was burned by the Silmarils, perhaps they would have an ill effect on Sauron if he put them on. This theory I doubt very much, however. I think their becoming useless would probably be the most likely occurrence.

Quote:
Would they accelerate the decay of time, to bring the world to an end, and accelerate Morgoth's return?
I do not think the Elven Rings would have the power to hasten Morgoth's return, nor to end the world.