The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-11-2005, 07:54 AM   #1
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Werewolf VI (the saga continues in a rather continuous way)

Welcome to Werewolf VI! This game will be played by the rules formerly set down by TGWBS in Werewolf IV.

Each DAY the villagers will choose one of thier own to be lynched. Multiple lynchings are allowed, but are frowned upon. Should a tie occur, the subsequent deaths will be boringly narrated in retribution. I will be frowning as I write them. Sherriffs PM during the DAY.

Each NIGHT the wolves will PM each other. Once a victim is chosen, they will PM the mod. The Hunter will PM the mod to choose a target, should he or she die. The Seer will dream a dream. On NIGHT 2, a new role will be assigned to the Mythomaniac.

The game ends when:

1) the villagers successfully lynch all of the werewolves. They will then have a large (or small, depending on how quickly it happens) celebration.

2) the werewolves slim down the numbers until the wolf:villager ratio is equal. They will then rise up and destroy the remaining villagers and cackle loudly as they dance upon the gory scene.

All DAYS and NIGHTS will begin at 9:30 AM with the exception of weekends when they will begin at 12:00 PM. This game will be run on EDT which is GMT -5. Daylight Savings Time does not have any effect on this game, so don't stress yourself out over it. To simplify life, look at the time of the moderator's posts and add 24 hours to it. The exception to this rule is on the weekend where Friday NIGHT will be 26 1/2 hours, Saturday's DAY will be 24 hours, and Sunday's NIGHT will be 21 1/2 hours. Don't over-think this. The moderator will post if and when you need to be reminded. I promise it all evens out.

Please remain invisible during all portions of this game.

Our cast of characters includes:

The Villagers: These players will be active during the DAY only. Their role is to try and figure out who the wolves are by logic and luck alone. We have three villagers.

The Hunter: Each NIGHT, the Hunter PMs the mod to indicate who dies along side, should the HUnter be slain. Should the Hunter be lynched during the DAY, there may be a slight delay in the posting of the death due to the mod needing to hear from the Hunter. It is advised that if death looks probable, the Hunter should send a "just in case" message. There is one Hunter.

The Ranger: each NIGHT, the Ranger PMs the mod to indicate which player he or she wishes to protect. The Hunter may not guard the same person two NIGHTS running. If the Ranger protects the player that has been chosen by the Hunter and the Hunter dies, the Hunter gets the kill and the Ranger is out of luck. There is one Ranger.

The Seer: each NIGHT, the Seer PMs the mod to indicate who he or she would like to dream about. The role of that villager is then revealed to the Seer. There is one Seer.

The Sherriffs: these two villagers are aware of each other's innocence due to long time comradery. They may PM during the DAY only, sharing thoughts and plans. Upon the demise of one Sherriff, a final letter will be sent to the mod to be forwarded to the other Sherriff. There are two Sherriffs.

The Mythomaniac: This villager has the special ability to change form. On NIGHT 2, he or she will PM the mod with the name of another villager. He or she will then take on the role of that player. Should the Mytho choose a wolf or a sherriff, he or she will be introduced to his or her team-mates. If any other role is chosen, the same rules and regulations apply as to the original role. The village will be informed of the new role, although not of the identity of the Mytho. There is one Mytho.

The Wolves: These callous and sneaky individuals are allowed to PM between themselves at NIGHT only. Each NIGHT they choose a target and send the name to the mod. They are encouraged to snicker as they watch the villagers mistakenly kill each other one by one. There are three wolves.

Our list of players is:

Eomer
Footie
Gil
Holby
Kath
Lhuna
LMP
Morm
Nilp
Oromin
Sauregg
TGWBS

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 07-12-2005 at 08:19 AM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:30 AM   #2
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The sun rose much as it had ever since it was first ordained to by the all-mighty mod. Today's dawn was no different than any other. Every morning in this quiet little village with no apparent name or location, the villagers woke up to a dead body. Sometimes a villager would accidentally remove a body part that should really stay attached and the poor brainless corpse would be found near a hatchet in the early hours. Sometimes an alien ship would appear mysteriously from the clouds and take a poor young girl away with them, to live the adventurous life in far off galaxy. Sometimes the aliens just killed her. Occasionally the daily death was so awful that it was immediately labelled S.E.P. and duly ignored.

This day, the body of Feanor of the Peredhil was discovered. Well... not so much her body was discovered as portions of it were found laid out in a most curious fashion in the park. Interestingly enough, it was only identifiable as the lovely lass by the large number of devoted admirers surrounding was was left of her and dolefully singing songs to bemoan her fate in a somewhat melodramatic and mostly off-key fashion.

As the villagers made their way to the village park to clean up today's gory mess, they were immediately made aware that this was most definately not somebody else's problem. In a highly imporbable fashion, Feanor of the Peredhil had arranged her own brutally torn off strips of flesh to spell three words.

With a gasp, one of the more considerate villagers read her final message aloud: "We've got wolves."

"Well I knew that!" one villager cried, receiving a number of very suspicious glances in return. "They's a'been a'killin' my sheep!"

"I think," a young girl whispered frightenedly, "that she meant werewolves."

"Oh." With that, quite the astounding number of obscenities could be heard throughout the village as the people rushed off to their homes to prepare themselves for the coming troubles. Almost immediately, they had returned to the park, and ignoring the physical evidence of the last words of Fea, they began their debates.

----------------------------------------------

DAY has begun. It will end 24 hours from now. Werewolves stop PMing, Sherriffs start.

Votes are irretractable and should be posted on a seperate line like this:

++FEANOR

Every player should by now be invisible. Good luck, and enjoy killing each other. I hope several of you die so that I can use the deaths I've cooked up for you.

Mod's Note: After having been corrected about times, and then recorrected, the mod has stopped caring. If you want to figure out time, add 24 hours to my post, and that's when each segment ends. Sherriffs are spelled the way I spell them due to artistic license. Supreme rule: Fea is always right. Should this rule be questioned, an early death will ensue.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:38 AM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Eek! That's a lot of blood! Always liked that lass; fair as a springtime rainbow she was. She will be remembered in song. As for any other clues she might have left behind, I'm quite prepared to ignore them. Can't stand gore. Send for the cleaners!

I'll tell you what though. I'll just suppose that our werewolves are actually ordinary villagers by day, rather than living in a nearby forest, or anything like that. The wolves walk among us. So, whom do we kill?

I would like to immediately propose that we do not kill me.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:59 AM   #4
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Alas for Feanor, she will be missed. I concur with Eomer; we've better get the cleaners in immediately. Rats will breed as if there's no tomorrow with this much chow around, I tell ya.

Now onto a more serious note; we must devise a system of analysis based on logical deductions to catch the trio of foul lycans. This would involve reading every post carefully and looking for loopholes or oddities in them. As before voting patterns and times of voting are crucial.

This can work if we are all united.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:59 AM   #5
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
TGWBS proposes a plan

Poor Fea. Anywho, I have a plan to avenge her.

The Seer should come out and openly declare themself. They can tell us who they dreamt of, whether innocent or guilty. At Night, the Ranger should protect them. The Shirriffs - er, Sherriffs - should also declare themselves.

Reasoning:
Right now, we stand a chance of killing the Seer. That chance is 1 in 12. Tonight, if that doesn't happen, the wolves have a 1 in 8 chance. Next night, they have a 1 in 6 chance, but unless the Seer is extremely subtle (and therefore of little use) they will probably guess who it is by then.

With the plan above, the Seer has no chance of dying until the Ranger is dead.

The Ranger must remain anonymous; the plan revolves around them. If the villagers are about to lynch the Ranger, the Ranger should declare themselves openly. Remaining villagers should then deflect their votes elsewhere. The Ranger will be killed that Night, the Seer the next, but doing this gives the Seer one more Night to Dream.

Now, if the Seer and both Shirriffs openly declare themselves, we have three known innocents. This is enough to rival the wolves. What this means, effectively, is that the pool in which the wolves can hide is smaller - 3 in 9 rather than 3 in 12.

Each Night, the Wolves have to decide - do they kill a known innocent or try to go after the Ranger? By leaving known innocents alive, they are concentrating themselves and helping the villagers. But by killing known innocents, they cannot kill the Ranger (and then the Seer) making them more vulnerable! They will be faced with a very difficult scenario.

Each morning, the Seer should declare who they dreamt of and their status. If they dreamt of an innocent, this adds to the ranks of known innocents, concentratingthe wolves. If they dreamt of a wolf, wonderful, we all kill it.

If the Seer dreams of the Hunter, they should merely say they are innocent. This means the wolves might kill the Hunter, thus (probably) damaging their side.

If the Seer dreams of a Ranger, I don't know what they should do yet, but it's best not name them. Do let us know that the Ranger has been dreamt of though - this means the Ranger knows the Seer will try to avoid them being lynched, so they might not need to come into the open.

Mytho, I'd ask you to become a Seer. You would only operate for one Night before dying, but at least that dream can be shared.

That's it. We can debate the plan, but I assure you it is flawless. In the worst case scenario, the Seer will die two Nights from now, having shared two dreams. In the best, we use it to win.

As I've said, we can debate it, but the plan rests in the hands of the Seer. If they like it, they will declare themselves and the plan must be followed. If no Seer emerges, it cannot be put into action. For all our sakes, I hope the Seer does declare themself.

End.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:55 AM   #6
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Poor, poor Feanor, why couldn't she have been abducted by aliens to live an adventurous life in far away galaxy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
"I think," a young girl whispered frightenedly, "that she meant werewolves."[/i]
Now how would this young one know that? I suppose no one is going to fess up to saying this. But I guess we will have to go on this information being correct to rid us of these foul beasts.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:02 AM   #7
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I knew I forgot something

Moderator's Note: Many narrations were prepared, outlined, or even entirely written before roles were assigned. There are no Freudian Slips, there is no hidden evidence. Don't think it necessary to kill anyone because I liked the atmosphere added by having a scared little girl. I could just as easily have had a macho wood-cutter or miserable old grandmother instead.

EDIT: Second Mod Note: Some rules have been going for so long that the moderator took them for granted and [insert synonym for "forgot" that doesn't sound as much like "She screwed up"] to post them. The Hunter may not guard the same person two nights in a row.

If players have any questions, they should immediately read the mod's mind, figure out the answer, and go from there. Should they misread, their telepathic abilities will be temporarily suspended. Under no circumstances should the roles of other players be the subject of the telepathic exercise.

Learning to love that EDIT button: Every player has received his or her role and is informed of his or her place in the game. As periods are a full 24 hours, there should be no excuse not to be here.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 07-12-2005 at 09:55 AM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:13 AM   #8
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
TGWBS - Your plan sounds really good. However, I don't think that the Ranger can protect the same person two nights in a row.

Also - if the Seer dreams of the Ranger, I would say that the Seer should just say that said person is innocent... though I suppose that might make them a target for wolves. Hm...
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:17 AM   #9
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
TGWBS - Your plan sounds really good. However, I don't think that the Ranger can protect the same person two nights in a row.
It doesn't say that in the rules, though if the Great Deceased Mod in the Sky declares it so, the plan will have to be shelved.

Quote:
Also - if the Seer dreams of the Ranger, I would say that the Seer should just say that said person is innocent... though I suppose that might make them a target for wolves. Hm...
True, it's much better to keep it anonymous. The wolves may decide to kill known innocents.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
What a dissenter! Kill her! Lynch Her! How dare she!

No seriously I agree. I thought that has been a rule for a long while now.

Problem #2. It goes on us accepting the seer's word for it now doesn't it. How can I, or the ranger for that matter, be certain that so and so is the seer? What if two people say they are the seer. One wolf one seer. We have a 1 in 2 chance of killing the right person. If we loose the seer the first day we are nearly sunk.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:39 AM   #11
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Don't think it necessary to kill anyone because I liked the atmosphere added by having a scared little girl.
I wasn't, just adding atmosphere myself since that's all that can be done in the beginning.

*sigh* That was a very good plan, TGWBS, sorry it can't be done. Oh no! Not the dreaded abicus!!

EDIT: One thing we can do this first day is to make sure everyone who is originally supposed to be here are with no substitutions or reincarnations!
Old 07-15-2005, 07:13 AM   #12
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Votes are irretractable and should be posted on a seperate line like this:

++FEANOR

Uh I believe you need to have you vote look like this Feanor

Please correct it so our mod doesn't get upset.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:19 AM   #13
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Old 07-15-2005, 07:28 AM   #14
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Gil-Galad, you are being voted off because they think you are a werewolf, not as a perceived slight. If you could not post often enough, and knew in advance, you probably should have waited for another round. Please refrain from making pointless posts here or elsewhere that affect the game in progress.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:12 PM   #15
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril *gasps audibly*

Alas for poor Fea...Who could have done this to such a fair maiden?

*takes a deep breath, composes herself*

My apologies for dropping in late, but as you all know very well I live in a very weird time zone. And I see that this fact has brought some to look upon me suspiciously. *glares at tgwbs* But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt; after all, you've been a consistent loudmouth. And I don't know how reliable you think that abacus of yours is, but I'll tell you one thing: It is not reliable.

I've been counting with my fingers for the longest time, and I realized that there are only three ordinary villagers compared to six gifted ones. (I'm bad in math, so there.) In doing a random lynching we are more likely to lynch one of these gifted villagers than an ordinary villager OR a werewolf. On the other hand, I don't really think voluntary lynching of an ordinary villager is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
I think our best bet for today is for everyone to vote for who they think is guilty. That way, everyone won't be voting for the same person, and that voting will leave evidence that we can make some sense out of.
For now I agree that's the best we can do, and maybe we can pick up the pace eventually from there. I just hope we don't choose to lynch a gifted villager...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgwbs
While I agree with the plan due to the latter point, remember that the wolves have the ability to influence the vote. I'm betting on an innocent death toDay.
Then, sadly, we'll have to live with that. At least from there we'll have an idea who the werewolves possibly are.

P.S. By the way, Nilp might not be able to post toDay due to some...financial difficulties. His words exactly.

EDIT: Gil-galad, just because of that totally senseless post, I'm keeping an eye on you from now on.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 07-12-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:31 PM   #16
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModdessGoddessknowitall
And it wasn't stupid to say "Fea's a wolf, you should lynch her" on the first day/first page of a brand new game where not only was I saying it, but I actually was a wolf?

People consistently underestimate the power of audacity. Also the ingenuity of fools. Seeing as how it's forbidden to show absolute proof of role (such as PMs), it truly would turn into he said/she said. After that, it's just a matter of who you trust more.

If one of the wolves had claimed Seership early on, when Oro was still suspect, it could have worked out quite nicely for them.
Except that if I were playing in the game, and still living, I would point out the obvious solution: lynch one or the other, and see which one was right. Granted, we might lose a seer that way, but we've identified a wolf; and one wolf identified is about the most one can expect from a seer before seer gets massacred by remaining wolves anyway, so your stooooopid strategy is a wash.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:49 PM   #17
mormegil
Maundering Mage

But at least you take a seer down with you. Otherwise you'll get spotted. I would only have one wolf come forward and say I'm the seer, if I were going to do it. Saying that I'm the mytho/seer would be best.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #18
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Hey, my stooopid strategy of telling everyone I was a wolf multiple times ended up with the wolves winning, so . And before that, my stooopid strategy of saying "KILL LMP!!!!" ended up with you dying and the village winning.

And to be honest, you never know what strategy will work until you get into the game. And even then, it ends up changing. Isn't there a quote somewhere about how the best laid plans only last five minutes into battle?
Old 07-23-2005, 01:59 PM   #19
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Hey, my stooopid strategy of telling everyone I was a wolf multiple times ended up with the wolves winning, so . And before that, my stooopid strategy of saying "KILL LMP!!!!" ended up with you dying and the village winning.

And to be honest, you never know what strategy will work until you get into the game. And even then, it ends up changing. Isn't there a quote somewhere about how the best laid plans only last five minutes into battle?
Now now now. I didn't say those were stoooopid, only the one thing. So there. I'm still smarter than you. nyah nyah nyah.

Besides which, the mytho turned into a werewolf, which is why you guys won. There were no known innocents because there were no shirriffs who could take the initiative away from you depraved beasts.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:02 AM   #20
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy
In fact, it's really tricky to defend anyone. Not just because it may appear wolvish, but also because you yourself don't really know anything (if you're ordinary) and you might delude yourself by repeating over and over again She's innocent. I believe her. I think I said something similar to that in the game which turned into a signature.
I was about to defend you when you were about to be lynched because even though I have no solid proofs, I was convinced you were innocent. But due to my weird time zone, it was too late.

On the other hand, it's really tricky to be so convinced that someone's a werewolf. Nilp was saying something to me in the lines of "If Gil is found to be innocent, you are so dead" after my *coughcough* controversial vote for him. It's a good thing he was actually a werewolf.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote