The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2005, 04:08 AM   #1
PMills

Would you like to have been an extra in the 3 LOTR films ?

If you had the opportunity to have been an extra (not a lead role, or major supporting role) in any (or all) of the 3 LOTR films recently made, what particular favorite scene/s in the film/s would you most want to have been an extra in and why ?
Old 04-10-2005, 08:13 AM   #2
dwarfguard
Pile O'Bones

dwarfguard has just left Hobbiton.
I would have been a gondorian soldier in the battle for minas tirith.
dwarfguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I would have loved it. Then you don't have to remember any lines. You can just float around in the background looking useful. I would have liked to have either been a hobbit at Bilbo's party, an elf in Rivendell bidding the Fellowship good-bye, or a rider of Rohan. (one day my horseback riding skills will be that good!).
Old 04-17-2005, 03:53 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I would have liked to have been a Gondorian citizen, but not a soldier, a courtier or the like, in the city of Minas Tirith circa the Denethor scenes. Or to be an Elf, perhaps at the coronation or in Rivendell, would have been a fantastic experience, given the beautiful costumes, surroundings, and ears.

Am I correct in assuming that a lot of extras had a variety of roles? I suppose it's quite easy to re-use the Elven extras in a scene in Gondor or Rohan, with a bit of re-styling.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:15 AM   #5
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Oh, that would have been wonderful to be an extra. First I thought I would have liked to be a hobbit (who can't resist a real hobbit party!) but on the other hand i would have loved to work in the beautiful sets of Rivendell, Edoras or Minas Tirith. But actually, I would have wanted to be an orc! It would have been great to wear all those orc clothes, masks and their equipment
Old 04-18-2005, 07:22 AM   #6
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
As close to the dream as possible.

I have always dreamed of living in LotR world, but since i dont see that happening the movie would have been my next best chance, that also is over so now I must sit back and dream about what could have been.

Anyway. I would like to be a soldier and the Black Gate. Whenever I watch the movie I always find Aragorn's speech moving and awesome. I would also have liked to be in some of the Rivendell or Edoras because they were so beautiful. Thats one thing about being an extra. You can go enjoy the New Zealand landscape and get some awesome clothes/costumes which i would have stolen and run away with.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:13 PM   #7
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I would've loved to be an exra. Hopefully a hobbit in at least one scene (so I could put this hair to use), but I think it would've been cool to be an orc. There were a few orcs in the movies that were so recognizable that everybody knows who they are, even though they didn't appear for long--I would've wanted to be one of those.

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 05-07-2005 at 09:53 AM.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:48 PM   #8
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Re:

Yeah, I'd love it.

I'd want to be an extra in every scene involving extras.

A scrawny young lad of Rohan at Helm's Deep ... (except I'm a redhead, but no biggy, they have wigs). A Minas Tirithian soldier when Gandalf whacks Denethor (I'd cry "Who leads us, Imrahil, the lord Denethor or Mithrandir?").

What else calls for an extra who is a 20 year old skinny irish kid who looks like he's 15 ...

An orc. Of course I'd like to be an orc. A Moria orc, perhaps, or one of Shagrat's crew. When they asked for clamour and grunts, I'd shriek various orc lines from the book that fit instead ... like "Stop fighting, you want the shriekers to come?" Then I'd snarl and start fighting.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:59 PM   #9
ElementFire
Animated Skeleton

ElementFire has just left Hobbiton.
I'd like to be in the scene where Faramir rides out on his pop's command.
-EF

I don't do kung fu, I do kung lamb!!!
ElementFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:22 AM   #10
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I would have loved to be an extra. Ideally I would want to be an elf from Lothlorien...however I probably would make a better urak-hai with my size and build.
mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:05 PM   #11
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Considering my physical features and being female, I definately would have been a hobbit. I would want to be the hobbit wife who looks sternly at her husband after Gandalf rides by. I think that was so funny (and true of a lot of us wives). And Bilbo's party would have been cool. Or an orc tending to the Uruk-Hai still in their 'birthing sacs', perhaps my maternal instinct?!

In TTT, I would want to be the mother who sent her children on a horse to Edoras. My heart ached at that, she was so brave to let them go not knowing if she would ever see them again.

I know they were not actually seen in the movie, but if they had been, I would have liked to be one of the healers taking care of the wounded. But not Ioreth, she talked too much! So I would be one of the women throwing flowers at the feet of Faramir and company.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:49 PM   #12
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Oh, I would've totally been one of the cross dressing Riders of Rohan! Slap a beard on me and put me in a saddle!
I took riding lessons for quite some time, so I would've loved to be in the charge of the Rohirrim!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:29 PM   #13
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I would have been and done anything they asked just so long as I got to be in one of them! I'd have loved to be an elf but I think I'm a little short for that, yet too tall to be a hobbit! It would have been great to play an orc though - all that slouching and snarling, and nobody could complain that you were just being a moody teenager, I sense power! Mwahahaha.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:31 PM   #14
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Heck yes! Especially someone who does stunts!
I wouldn't mind just being someone in the background either. Then I could point myself out to people. Who knows? Maybe I would end up being famous, like Figwit!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:20 PM   #15
Imrahil
Pile O'Bones

Imrahil has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree For Gondor!

I would have loved to be a Gondorian soldier in Minas Tirith or Osgiliath...
Old 05-06-2005, 08:48 PM   #16
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
I would love to have been one of those people who were trampled by Gandalf and Shadowfax... Unfortunately, I would most likely be caught on the saddle or clipped.

Either that, or be one of the million odd elves who make Elrond's home look habitable in his worst and usual moods.

Just any part that calls for odd people.

~ Indifferent Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:17 AM   #17
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
not sure if this counts... i would have liked to have been the voice of one of the ents at entmoot... and if not a hobbit in hobbiton no doubt
Old 05-07-2005, 01:37 PM   #18
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
I would have loved to be an elf in Rivendell at the departure of the Fellowship, or a child in the caves of Helm's Deep.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:18 AM   #19
Loxley Derryth

Silmaril If I could've been an extra....

If I caould've been an extra in the movies I'd have liked to be an elf or a hobbit. The hobbits seem to have such a good time! Apart from Frodo and chums, of course! Ever since I first saw THE FELLOWSHIP I wanted that cake at Bilbo's party. Did you see the size of it?! I'd like a cake as big as me just like that one for my eleventy-first birthday!

I'd like to be a Rivendell elf, rather than a blondie elf from LothLorien or Mirkwood, simply because I had long blonde hair last year and now it's short and brown and I want to look like Arwen!
Old 05-20-2005, 10:05 AM   #20
Balecirithiel

Tolkien

I would have loved it if I had been an extra in one of the movies. I probably would've wanted to be in the battle for Pelinor fields. I love the Ride of the Rohirrim!
Old 06-27-2005, 12:49 PM   #21
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
I don't know. I think it would have been cool to be an extra, but some of the things they had to do, standing around for hours and hours... and it seems like such a thankless job. Plus I would have had to fly to New Zealand and I don't much like flying. So, as sad as it is, I probebly would rather have stayed here and just watched the movie.

If I was to be an extra though, I think it would have been best to be a hobbit at Bilbo's party. Lots of food, music, getting to be near Elijah Wood... The last place I would have liked to be an extra would be at Helms Deep. From what I've seen from the DVD's, it didn't look like much fun!

Of course, if someone had actually come up to me and offered to pay to take me to New Zealand to be an extra, I probebly would not have said no, but I probebly wouldn't have had that much fun.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:16 PM   #22
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'd have been this guy.

Woot!
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:35 PM   #23
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Frodo Once Rode... Damn It's Me!

Fordim, you know you just want all the screaming fangirls.

If I got to be an extra... I'd be... Well... I'd love to be someone who got to fight. Not an Elf though. I'd get my costume dirty, and they'd yell at me. I'm thinking a Rider. Just imagine charging with all those people through those fields...

Or a pretty Gondorian girl. Perhaps a healer's assistant, or one of the flower-tossers.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:54 PM   #24
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I think it would be interesting to be one of the Rohirrim at Helm's Deep or one of the Gondorians at Minas Tirith or Osgiliath and get killed in some rather memorable way. That way, people would probably remember me better if they see me somewhere. As in, "Yeah, you were that guy who got his head whacked off by an Uruk on the wall" and such.

Though they'd probably use CGI for the more spectacular death scenes...

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 07-06-2005 at 04:47 PM. Reason: grammar problems...
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:08 PM   #25
empress_han
Pile O'Bones

empress_han has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to empress_han
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
I would have been and done anything they asked just so long as I got to be in one of them! I'd have loved to be an elf but I think I'm a little short for that, yet too tall to be a hobbit! It would have been great to play an orc though - all that slouching and snarling, and nobody could complain that you were just being a moody teenager, I sense power! Mwahahaha.
Vote Kath for Hobbit! [s]not that we call her that ever[/s] the s's are supposed to strike it out...how do you do that on here?

I'd love to have been in them...especially Rivendell or a rider of Rohan (I'm in love with their horses)

Last edited by empress_han; 07-06-2005 at 03:09 PM. Reason: can't strike out text?
empress_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:04 PM   #26
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

I'd have loved to have been an extra, but last weekend I ran into someone who 'played' a dead Rohirrim at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Apparently he's unrecognisable as, being a dark-haired Italian, he was made up with a blond wig and beard. On a rather bizarre note, one of his friends who had sadly lost an arm in an unfortunate 17th-century-canon-related incident plays one of the Rohirrim who has suffered a similar axe-related demise.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:15 AM   #27
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Narfforc wants to be an Half-orc.

I would love to have been an Half-orc at any Battle, would have loved to have done in a few tree-huggers at Helms Deep.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:35 PM   #28
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
I would love to have been an Half-orc at any Battle, would have loved to have done in a few tree-huggers at Helms Deep.
I just got this image of hippies at Helm's Deep...now that's scary...
Old 07-27-2005, 12:37 AM   #29
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
I would've enjoyed being an extra. Seeing that I'm blond, I could've made a good character just to sit or stand around in Meduseld. I have no idea how to ride a horse, so I couldn't possibly be a rider. I would've liked a fighting part, too, so maybe a soldier at Minas Tirith, or even as an orc.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:47 PM   #30
Elrowen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Elrowen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elrowen Greenleaf
Shield

I would have loved to have been an extra! Honestly I don't really care if I would be reconisible or not, just let me on the set, in a costume with a weapon! Oh yeah!
I would have wanted to play several parts... an Elf in Rivendell, Lothlorien, and any battle where they show up. I'd want to be one of the Rohirrim at the Battle of Pelennor Fields (can't beat that charge!), and also at Helm's Deep (if I couldn't be an Elf). At Helm's Deep though, I would want to be one of Eomer's eored.

The Rohirrim may cause a problem, 'cause I am both a girl, and I have brown hair... but that's what wigs and stuff are for. (Trust me... it's harder than one might think to tell the difference between a guy and girl in armor... even without wigs and other makeup.)

-Elrowen

The bow of Legolas was singing.
Elrowen Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote