The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #2561
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Losing at Nationals after all that hard work because your coach accidentally put an illegal (level 5 instead of level 4) stunt in the routine.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #2562
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Waiting to hear back from someone who has an awful lot of control over the next five months of your life.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #2563
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
When your television, that has always got pretty good reception, now suddenly ha a bad signal and no amount of fiddling with the arial seems to be helping!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #2564
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Finding yourself inexplicably surfing YouTube when you have a really lot of homework to do.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #2565
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Brothers who get themselves in serious trouble. And college application essays.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #2566
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
An inferior son of a b----- who made no significant contribution (hell, not even just one decent film or comics) to Philippine art but got named National Artist. A fellow by the name Carlo J. Caparas. Sorry for the cuss, but as a denizen of the artistic community I have to let this out.

Oh, also a third world president who wined and dined at Le Cirque and had a $20,000 bill. Incidentally it was also this president who named the Caparas fellow a National Artist.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #2567
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Today!

I had to say goodbye to Kath, Nogrod, Greenie, Lommy, Aganzir, Volo and Legate. (did I forget someone?)

Only I did not get to say goodbye to Legate, due to miscalculation of travel times. Then at the airport Finnair wanted my backpack to go as oversized bagage, eventhough it has traveled as normal bagage 20 times or so. After getting through security I realised that my flight was boarding and it was final call, so I ran confused through Helsinki airport attempting to locate my gate, whilst trying to get my belt on.
Back in Copenhagen I could not figure out wether to wait at the normal bagage belt or the oversized one. . . also I did not know how long it takes oversized bagage to be delivered. . . Basicly I sat in the airport for an extra hour before accepting that Finnair had lost my bagage. Apparently alot of people on the flight had lost their bagage.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #2568
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Artiste-types who set themselves as experts on something on the net– say writing a blog on art or literature. They're typically in the early stages of a degree. They're not professional, but they're not children, and they seem to have some idea what they're talking about. Why, they even say they want constructive criticism.

So– noticing a mistake or something that could be improved, you very politely draw their attention to it. (Not talking about picking their work apart, you understand. I'm talking about pointing out something totally peripheral, that you wouldn't think they'd care about.)

Bang! Next thing you know you're the recipient of the nastiest message you've ever got in your life, in which your entire character gets ripped to shreds, for the sin of sort of implying that some 19-year-old student might not know everything there is to know about everything in the entire world. I mean, it's really not much different from the spoiled-brat fan-fic writer's response– only they're not all that good at being bitchy. These ones I'm talking about are older and smarter and leave you quivering.

Seriously, I've got into internet debates with Neo-nazis and they can't get to me like these girls can. I think it's because I'm never prepared for the onslaught. I mean, you're trying to help,and think they're going thank you the way normal people do (even if they secretly think someone's annoying), and instead they go for your throat. Really, it gets to me every time. It's always so 0ut-of-the-blue I'm never prepared for it, you see.

Right, well, I just needed to get that out.

~Nerwen the Quivering.

Last edited by Nerwen; 08-21-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:11 AM   #2569
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

The US Healthcare System.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #2570
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Stupid unchecked bureaucracy, who not only cannot do what you asked from them, but they tell you that only just before the DL when you actually would have had plenty time to do it in different ways, if you only knew that you needed to.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:18 AM   #2571
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Universities & Colleges Admissions Service. It's vile. I will say no more.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:44 AM   #2572
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Limited battery life on laptops. I don't want to go inside, but I lack plugs outdoors, and what I was doing doesn't work without a computer to do it.

*mope*
Old 08-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #2573
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Heat.

Particularly the second week of real summer heat you've had ALL summer, the same week that you moved into a one-storey retirement home (aka. greenhouse). Compounded by having conferences in a room JUST big enough to hold 33 guys, with all 33 guys present, and then sitting there... occasionally thrusting extra heat into the place by all standing and singing.

Also lack of showers.

Especially with said HEAT, 4 showers between 33 guys does not quite cut it. Okay, we're technically up to 6 showers now that the bathtubs have been given shower curtains, but--really!-- those guys working on the additional six showers in the basement could speed things up any time.

And speaking of putting in additions...

I'll be a much happier camper once the Internet wireless actually reaches my room. Not having Internet in the comfortable confines of my computer, near my books where I needn't feel guilty of hogging time would make a wonderful difference. You can tell I'm younger than I let on, because I get twitchier when I don't have Internet than when I don't have showers.

So... to recap:

I assign to Mordor: too much heat, too few showers, too little Internet.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 PM   #2574
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
I assign to Mordor: too much heat, too few showers, too little Internet.
...That is astonishingly canonical.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #2575
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Side effects of medication.

What's the point of taking something to make you feel better if it makes you sick and gives you insomnia?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #2576
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
...That is astonishingly canonical.
Indeed:

"Hard and cruel and bitter was the land that met his gaze. Before his feet the highest ridge of the Ephel Dúath fell steeply in great cliffs... across a wide lake of darkness dotted by tiny fire, there was a great burning glow... nowhere in that accursed realm could he see the least sign of a shower or a computer terminal..."

Last edited by Nerwen; 09-01-2009 at 08:41 AM. Reason: punctuation
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #2577
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
I have to assign being such a stupid and lazy person that I'm faced with three horrible Swedish writing assignments to do, deadline tomorrow, and I'm awfully tired to start with. And, with matriculation exams coming up and all, I really really didn't need this additional bit of stress.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:06 AM   #2578
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Coughing so hard it triggers your gag reflex. Something spilled in the oven last night. The house filled up with smoke. My lungs filled up with smoke. My body really doesn't like smoke.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:17 AM   #2579
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

living in the wrong continent

Losing really big time on collegiate basketball. Our university team just landed on a 3 win, 11 loss situation this year; last year, 2-12; the year before that, 0-14. The last time my school won the championship was 1986.

But if we were living in Europe, we'd be rejoicing. We are the defending champion in football. The academically best university in the Philippines should be relocated to Europe, or at least a football-loving country.

Legal Madness.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #2580
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Finding out that in a month, your husband may be out of a job because his firm (for which he has worked for 31 years) has decided to outsource his department, and will only have four jobs for seven people. Seniority will not count, and if he isn't one of the four, he'll have to spend the month of October training the people to whom he's losing his job, and then will have to go out and start over, trying to find a job in bad economic times at the age of 55. This REALLY stinks, especially since I can't work outside the home because of injuries and poor health.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #2581
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
For whatever it's worth, Ibrin, you have my full and heartfelt sympathy! A firm that treats its employees like that after profiting from their work for 31 years deserves to be assigned to Mordor, it's the only fitting place for them.
I've got a bit of first-hand experience of what it means to look for a job once you're middle age or past, especially if you would like to go on working in the profession you were trained in and are good at - decades of experience and know-how somehow don't seem to count very much in today's economy (another thing that deserves being assigned to Mordor).
Miracles do happen sometimes, but they tend to take time you don't really have. So I hope your hubby will end up among the chosen four and no miracle will be necessary. All the best, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you two!
Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #2582
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Continuing along the same lines:

My mother just lost her job. . . or rather it is moved another part of the country, so she got the choice between "move or get fired". I am quite confident she won't move.

My mother is just so unlucky, no matter where she works they always move the location or they outsource her department. Most of them have tried to re-hire her later on though.

This could also mean that she has to cancel her(the whole familys) trip to visit an old friend in San Francisco and to see New York, she has always wanted to visit another continent and now it might not happen.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #2583
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ROTC double training overnight. It's bad enough that they made us run around one of the Philippines' largest universities without warm-ups in less than three hours, but they just had to make us run fast under horrible monsoon rains, having us drenched to our very souls. After a tiring day, they just had to drag us out at three in the morning, after a two-hour "sleep", force us back to our soaking wet fatigues and squishy wet boots, and have us "escape" from the top floor of a building, through the tall wet grasses and foliage, out to a place we almost could never have reached without a map. Not to mention the disgusting tradition of boodle fights: The officers had much viand--tuna chunks--on their end of the table, leaving us lower classes burnt rice and shreds of tuna.

Why did I take ROTC in the first place?

Legal Madness.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #2584
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
parochial cell (mobile) phone technology
Old 09-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #2585
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Parents who bring their small children into the gift shops of zoos (or other such places) and look around, and then say, "We're not getting anything. Don't touch."

Okay, yeah, keep your kids' grimy hands off the merchandise, but how can you possibly think it's fair for you to drag a tired and hungry four year old into a room filled to bursting with toys and then say, "You can't have any of it."

Why would you tease a little kid like that? If you're not willing to spend any money, don't drag your kids into toy stores!

Old 09-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #2586
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Why would you tease a little kid like that? If you're not willing to spend any money, don't drag your kids into toy stores!
Aww, poor babies.

Lindale, I know just how you feel with what you are experiencing with ROTC. However, I certainly would not assign it to Mordor. If anything, it should be assigned to Orthanc. You don't improve on anything unless you are challenged, and although ROTC might be tough, when you complete it you will be a tougher individual. No pain, no gain. Hang in there and stay tough!
Old 09-21-2009, 04:19 AM   #2587
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Lindale, I know just how you feel with what you are experiencing with ROTC. However, I certainly would not assign it to Mordor. If anything, it should be assigned to Orthanc. You don't improve on anything unless you are challenged, and although ROTC might be tough, when you complete it you will be a tougher individual. No pain, no gain. Hang in there and stay tough!
Thanks Groin! Indeed, I did not know I could run like a maniac until ROTC. And now that I think of it, boodle fights are a savage but oddly satisfying tradition.

Legal Madness.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:49 AM   #2588
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Facebook stopping working and thus forcing you to start working.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #2589
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I assign having a week's worth of rain, with more on the way. Not too far from me they've seen more than a foot over the past few days.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #2590
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

The theater consert "Come Together".

It is currently running at "Gasværket" and is the first time a theater has gotten permision to use and intepritate beatles songs, but some of the interpritations are just rubbish. . . talk about a let down.

Also I assign the fact that I have to get up in 3 1/2 hours.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #2591
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
The theater consert "Come Together".

It is currently running at "Gasværket" and is the first time a theater has gotten permision to use and intepritate beatles songs, but some of the interpritations are just rubbish. . . talk about a let down.

Also I assign the fact that I have to get up in 3 1/2 hours.
Oh, that sounds like rubbish! I would love to hear interpretations of Beatles songs, but not if they are not done well.

I assign this poem that I am working on at the moment. I am writing it on a Tolkienesque subject, which is good, but I just can't find the right words. My current problem is finding a word that describes Merry, but also rhymes with time... Blasted thing!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #2592
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I assign this poem that I am working on at the moment. I am writing it on a Tolkienesque subject, which is good, but I just can't find the right words. My current problem is finding a word that describes Merry, but also rhymes with time... Blasted thing!
Sublime, maybe? He somewhat qualifies.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #2593
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Sublime, maybe? He somewhat qualifies.
That's the on that my father suggested. I used it, and it works.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #2594
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Parents who bring their small children into the gift shops of zoos (or other such places) and look around, and then say, "We're not getting anything. Don't touch."

Okay, yeah, keep your kids' grimy hands off the merchandise, but how can you possibly think it's fair for you to drag a tired and hungry four year old into a room filled to bursting with toys and then say, "You can't have any of it."

Don't I know it...he's had umpteen new toys over the past fortnight - Waybuloo toys, a Very Hungry Caterpillar, a puppet, Play-Doh (this was more for me, though ) and a table and chairs!
Old 09-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #2595
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Joint pain.

The only thing I don't like about summer's transition to a damp and chilly autumn is that the weather change makes me ache like an old sailor.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #2596
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The fact that more or less all my muscles have been stuck (if you can phrase it that way) and thus causing headache apart from other aches for the past two days and stretching and massage don't help and I don't even know why they're stuck because I definitely haven't been excercising or anything...
Old 09-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #2597
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I don't even know why they're stuck because I definitely haven't been excercising or anything...
Might that just be the reason?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #2598
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I was just about to say the same
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #2599
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Don't I know it...he's had umpteen new toys over the past fortnight - Waybuloo toys, a Very Hungry Caterpillar, a puppet, Play-Doh (this was more for me, though ) and a table and chairs!
A Very Hungry Caterpillar? That was one of my favourite books when I was little!
Old 09-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #2600
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
But I'm always just as inactive!