The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
Aragorn and the use of Palantir

In the Return of the King, Aragorn tells Pippin that the Orthanc Stone will be "used by the King". But in later writings, Tolkien states that Aragorn decided to set up the Orthanc Stone permanantly within the Tower of Orthanc.

Presumably therefore Aragorn had mastered the Minas Tirith Stone in order that he could see more than just Denethor's hands withering in flame ? Otherwise surely he would never have set up the one working Stone in relatively isolated Isengard ?
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think that it is reasonable to assume that since Aragorn had the strength to engage Sauron via Palantir he probably had the strength of will to use it as he wished - especially as he, as king, had the greatest authority to use it, Also it is one of those ambiguous statements since it is qualified by "it was said" ... it is not given as a fact by the author. Rumours tend to spring up about things to which few have access....and it may have been allowed to stand to discourage others from trying to get a peek.... of course unlikely to be a deterrent to small boys who love gruesome things so I could well imaging young Eldarion not being deterred
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I think that it is reasonable to assume that since Aragorn had the strength to engage Sauron via Palantir he probably had the strength of will to use it as he wished - especially as he, as king, had the greatest authority to use it, Also it is one of those ambiguous statements since it is qualified by "it was said" ... it is not given as a fact by the author. Rumours tend to spring up about things to which few have access....and it may have been allowed to stand to discourage others from trying to get a peek.... of course unlikely to be a deterrent to small boys who love gruesome things so I could well imaging young Eldarion not being deterred
The only problem I see with that is that in what Aragorn said, I've always interpeted the stament that it will be used "by the King" to mean that it will be used with Aragorns's authority and for his desieres. That is while Aragorn would, of course be free to use the stone himeslf at any time he desired, most vieving would be done by a trusted "gazer" appointed by Aragorn (he's king after all and probably does not have the time for constant scrying). This seems to be how it was done previosly, most of the actual viewing was done by people appointed by the ruler on his behalf to do that as thier job. If this is the case then the fact that Aragorn himself might have the strength to turn the Anor stone might be irrlevant, the real question would be if the appointed viewer could turn it.

As for Orthanc's isolated condition, that might be and advantage, not a liability. The desginated viewer would have relively few distractions in such an islated spot, so would be more focused on his scrying mission. If you like the "Aragon can use the Anor stone" then one might imagine some sort of arrangment along the following lines; whoever was at Orthanc would use the stone to send a "daily intellegence report" to Aragorn which he (or another duly appointed scyrer) would pick up on the Anor stone. The isolated nature of Orthanc doesnt really obviate its use as an information gathering post. Amon Hen/Llaw are even more isolated and they were where they decided to put the seats (I'm assuming that the power lies in the seats not in the mountains)
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote