The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
Elves and Dunland

After the defeat of Sauron, the returning hobbits, accompanied by Gandalf and Elves from Rivendell and Lorien, left Isengard on their way home, crossed the Isen and entered Dunland.

At that point Tolkien says that the Dunlendings hid themselves, "being afraid of Elvish folk, though few indeed ever came to their country".

That statement implies that some Elves must have visited Dunland from time to time, within the living memory of Dunlendings. Any ideas on who those Elves would be and what their business was ?
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The most recent would seem to be Elladan and Elrohir. They probably would have passed through Dunland when they rode with the Dúnedain of the North to meet Aragorn in Rohan.
In fact, they were likely the first to be seen by the Dunlendings in living memory, as I can't conceive of a scenario which would bring Elves to the area prior to that. The Elves of Rivendell would have no business there; they used the High Pass and the Redhorn Gate to clear the Mountains when traveling to Lórien.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

How about the wandering companies like Gildor et al?

There were certainly plenty of elves wandering around Eriador, as Bilbo and Frodo sometimes met them in the woods of the Shire. Why not wander in Dunlending territory too?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Firstly, I very much like this question, it's this obscure, hidden kind of stuff that I most like within Tolkien's works.

After searching for an answer for some time now the only logical answer that I can give is that by saying "ever came to their country" Tolkien means Elves barely came to Dunland not just during the lifespan of the Dunlendings but ever since these people settled there in the first place.

This would make sense, since the ancestors of the Dunlendings, the Gwaithuirim who lived upon the Gwathló, surely must have known of the Elves living in Hollin back then.

As such, Elves wandering through the forests or on their way to Lórien around the Misty Mountains and not over the Redhorn Pass must have been encountered by the early Dunlendings, who perhaps feared them due to the perceived superiority of the Elves.

This knowledge would then have been passed down from generation to generation and would thus also be known in the form of myths by the late Third Age Dunlendings. They would then also fear the Elves and hide.

To me this makes sense since in M-e this often is the case - that old myths are still remembered by descendants. One example that comes to mind is the doubt of Eorl the Young concerning Lórien, also due to myths of that land being remembered within his culture as memories of when the Éothéod used to live in that area.

Then again, perhaps an easier answer exists...
Old 08-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
How about the wandering companies like Gildor et al?

There were certainly plenty of elves wandering around Eriador, as Bilbo and Frodo sometimes met them in the woods of the Shire. Why not wander in Dunlending territory too?
Certainly a possibility, though I'd have thought they'd stick mainly to the northern parts, around the Road and all.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
I find it interesting that the Dunlendings would be aware of the Elvish folk at all given that Elves are passing through the Shire all the time and nobody there seems to be aware of it. Perhaps the Dunlendings are more 'aware' than the hobbits (which would speak very much in their favour in contrast with the insular citizens of the Shire). I would argue that it's a more hopeful sign to see and then run away from than to be wilfully blind. But then again, I've never seen Elves myself, so what does that say about me...(?)
Old 08-17-2009, 06:42 AM   #7
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Indeed, Elladan and Elrohir makes sense since they had ridden as early as some months before the return journey through Dunland when they were part of the Grey Company coming to help Aragorn.

They probably remained close to the North-South-Road, but who knows, perhaps wandered off a bit into Dunland and would have thus been seen.

And of course they had often travelled into the Wild looking for Orcs, so perhaps they passed more often through Dunland.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Leaf

A Gildorish wandering elf band does indeed seem possible.
Perhaps from Harlindon they wished to visit Fangorn forest or
take a winter non-mountain path to Lorien or Mirkwood.
Also, recall Treebeard's onservation that the Old Forest
was once more extensive, making an elf forest path across
Minhriath more attractive to them.

Quote:
Aye, aye, there was all one wood once upon a
time from here to the Mountains of Lune, and this was
just the East End.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

But all those forests were cut down by the Numenoreans in their quest for ever more timber to build their ships.

This means that the early Dunlendings did indeed live near the Numenoreans in times when Elves still wandered through those woods, but that their descendants probably saw no more Elves passing nearby since there was little reason for them.
In this case again, my idea would be that myths preserved the memory of Elves of Hollin or the Grey Havens wandering through the great woods of Enedwaith.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Narya

Interesting topic, and I believe I have a few thoughts to add to what has been said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
The most recent would seem to be Elladan and Elrohir. They probably would have passed through Dunland when they rode with the Dúnedain of the North to meet Aragorn in Rohan.
Despite the counterpoints, I believe this may as well have been the case. Elladan and Elrohir might have been quite easily encountered by some Dunlendings, or seen by some hunters. They at least passed close enough, and we know that by that time the Dunlendings were a bit on the rise, possibly even roaming further around their usual borders. There is one more thought to it, if the Dunlendings started to become a bit more "cosmopolitan" at the times of their alliance with Saruman (meaning only that possibly from time to time a few were recruited to "military missions abroad" and then some of them returned back), the stories from farther lands (including also tales of Elves) might have been strenghtened among the common folk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
After searching for an answer for some time now the only logical answer that I can give is that by saying "ever came to their country" Tolkien means Elves barely came to Dunland not just during the lifespan of the Dunlendings but ever since these people settled there in the first place.

This would make sense, since the ancestors of the Dunlendings, the Gwaithuirim who lived upon the Gwathló, surely must have known of the Elves living in Hollin back then.

As such, Elves wandering through the forests or on their way to Lórien around the Misty Mountains and not over the Redhorn Pass must have been encountered by the early Dunlendings, who perhaps feared them due to the perceived superiority of the Elves.

This knowledge would then have been passed down from generation to generation and would thus also be known in the form of myths by the late Third Age Dunlendings. They would then also fear the Elves and hide.

To me this makes sense since in M-e this often is the case - that old myths are still remembered by descendants. One example that comes to mind is the doubt of Eorl the Young concerning Lórien, also due to myths of that land being remembered within his culture as memories of when the Éothéod used to live in that area.

Then again, perhaps an easier answer exists...
I believe Miggy is right here, offering a very reasonable and down-to-earth point. I think this is the way it was, mostly, apart from unique cases like Elladan and Elrohir on their special mission, as mentioned above. However, I indeed believe that another answer exists as well, alongside this one. I do not believe that all that was to it were the old tales. I will say more of that further on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle View Post
I find it interesting that the Dunlendings would be aware of the Elvish folk at all given that Elves are passing through the Shire all the time and nobody there seems to be aware of it. Perhaps the Dunlendings are more 'aware' than the hobbits (which would speak very much in their favour in contrast with the insular citizens of the Shire). I would argue that it's a more hopeful sign to see and then run away from than to be wilfully blind. But then again, I've never seen Elves myself, so what does that say about me...(?)
I don't think it's about being "more aware" at all. The hobbits also knew about the Elves, but it was only some of them. Remember what Sam Gamgee told to Ted Sandyman in the pub, that one can see the Elves at night passing through the Shire. I believe it might have been the same with the Dunlendings: a few "Sams", who were perhaps considered a bit weird by the majority of the population, did spot the Elves a few times, or at some times (might have been really rarely, even once a lifetime could be enough for some scared Dunlendings), but that's what kept the tales fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
A Gildorish wandering elf band does indeed seem possible.
Perhaps from Harlindon they wished to visit Fangorn forest or
take a winter non-mountain path to Lorien or Mirkwood.
Also, recall Treebeard's onservation that the Old Forest
was once more extensive, making an elf forest path across
Minhriath more attractive to them.
Of course, as Miggy already pointed out, there were really no nice forest paths from Lindon to Dunland anymore. But I am surprised why nobody yet thought of the most obvious reason for groups of "Gildor-ish" Elves to come near Dunland, near enough for the people to note them and be aware of their existence, but still in the way that it was enough to say that "a few indeed came to their country". My proposal would be - they indeed did not come to their country, but they could have been noticed by the scouts passing the neighbouring country, that is, Hollin! Wilderness, perhaps, but still a fair enough place for the Elves to make pilgrimages to, don't you think? I am not speaking of anything big here, but from time to time, somebody might have appeared - just like Gildor and his folk were going to the White Towers (and their journey was not a shorter one by any means). Remeber what Legolas said in Hollin, or, Eregion, as it used to be called? "I hear the stones lament them: 'Deep they delved us, fair
they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone.'" And Gandalf said: "Much evil must befall a country before it wholly forgets the Elves, if once they dwelt there." I believe even the Elves did not forget.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #11
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
A clarification on elves wandering from an area such as Harlindon to Fangorn.
I actually had two points in the above post.
The lack of a continuous forest wouldn't necessarily preclude wandering
bands going south around the Misty Mountains. In addition to
avoiding difficult winter weather it would be an exploratory/discovery
trip, especially if they got the chance to talk to the folk (Ents) that
elves gave speech to, or perhaps to visit a believed friendly maia
once he took over guardianship of Orthanc.

And the road from Rivendell to the Gray Havens also had considerable
non-tree covered areas.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
A clarification on elves wandering from an area such as Harlindon to Fangorn.
I actually had two points in the above post.
The lack of a continuous forest wouldn't necessarily preclude wandering
bands going south around the Misty Mountains. In addition to
avoiding difficult winter weather it would be an exploratory/discovery
trip, especially if they got the chance to talk to the folk (Ents) that
elves gave speech to, or perhaps to visit a believed friendly maia
once he took over guardianship of Orthanc.

And the road from Rivendell to the Gray Havens also had considerable
non-tree covered areas.
Of course it did. As much as the road from Rivendell to Grey Havens. However, the point was aimed against the idea of an "elvish trip through the woods". There would not have been any elvish trip, for there were no woods.

However, what you say is considerable. The Maia part would be, of course, quite outdated thing and would work only in the early days, and Saruman himself did not seem to be that greatly fond of Elves anyway, and except for a few Noldo-minded inventors, not having anything to give to the Elves after a few hundred years of residing in M-E. No, I actually believe that by the time he settled down in Orthanc, he was basically done with the Elves, and whoever wanted to meet him had done so already, and the air of freshness and curiosity about him had mostly disappeared by then.

The talk to Ents is a better idea, though still, not as great, as the Fangorn was probably considered a bit of an obscure ancient place, just as much as Celeborn did warn the Fellowship against it. Moreover, the country around was so wild that only a few very brave elves from Rivendell who would be really deeply fascinated by Fangorn would pass, and thus, we cannot consider it as any important traffic. It would be one Elf like that in a hundred years, if ever. The pilgrimage to Ost-in-Edhil sounds far more pleasant and as an option of bigger frequency (I would say one in ten years as an average number is not even bad to consider). Had it not been for Legolas' words (saying that the Noldor were strange to the forest folk), I would even consider some visits from Lórien, but in this way it seems a bit unlikely. (It is of note, though, that Dunland seemed to have been the home for Celeborn and Galadriel in ages past, at least for a time, and speaking of that, it used to be a home for Dwarves in exile like Thráin and his folk AND also the ancestors of Hobbits in times past, so in fact, I am really starting to reconsider my opinion on this land as a piece of nowhere full of savage barbarians - the land seemed to have a, let's say, historically-cultural importance of tremendous significance).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 08-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
There's something else.

If Elves visited Fangorn from time to time, one of the 3 eldest Ents, Skinbark - and his people - lived on the high WESTERN slopes of the Misty Mountains, which were presumably directly above Dunland.

So rather than Gildorian companies reaching Fangorn via the Gap of Rohan, they may have taken a short-cut through Dunland to reach Skinbark ?
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #14
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Eye A hunting we shall go

Nice discussion,

I've been wondering about the applicability of folklore here. Now British (and probably more generally European) folklore had the concept of the 'High Hunt', where, usually on a dark, warm, inexplicably windy, witchy, twitchy sort of summer's night, often Midsummer, the faerie / sidhe / elves held a great annual hunt.

The King of the Elves rides out with his huntsmen, either pursuing the White Stag, or clearing the land of the 'uncanny' creatures that have escaped from the faerie realm over the last year. Their pursuit is wild and unrestrained, galloping across hill, wood and vale with no let or hindrance.

For the honest countyman, this is a time to bring in the beasts from the field, securely bolt your front door, and heed no nightly noises whatsoever. If you have the wrong sort of elves it might be just as well to put out a saucer of milk and make sure the horseshoe is extra-securely nailed over the door. All will be well in the morning, apart maybe from the odd missing chicken or shifted roof-slate. Woe betide the lad or lass that ventures outdoors upon such a night, for, often-as-not they're never seen again, or turn up years and years later but fay and strangely changed.

So what's the Middle-Earth relevance? We know the elves, like practically all nobility, loved to hunt. The Noldor were great hunters in Beleriand (even chasing down the Petty-Dwarves), Thranduil and his folk often rode out hunting in Mirkwood, and the White Stag was seen by Bilbo et al on their trek.

I could see the elven aristocracy of Rivendell riding out on a midsummer's night, led by the brethren Elladan and Elrohir or Elrond himself perhaps. Maybe they hunt the White Stag, maybe they scour the lands of orcs and trolls. Some years they go North into the Ettenmoors, some years North-West into the Trollshaws or South West across the plains and into the Angle, sometimes South into Hollin, and occasionally they carry on through Hollin to Dunland. East they go not.

Those nights the men of Dunland retire to their forts and roundhouses, build up the fire and bar the door, knowing that uncanny folk beyond their understanding are abroad.

Maybe !

What do you think?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #15
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
I could see the elven aristocracy of Rivendell riding out on a midsummer's night, led by the brethren Elladan and Elrohir or Elrond himself perhaps. Maybe they hunt the White Stag, maybe they scour the lands of orcs and trolls. Some years they go North into the Ettenmoors, some years North-West into the Trollshaws or South West across the plains and into the Angle, sometimes South into Hollin, and occasionally they carry on through Hollin to Dunland. East they go not.
I wouldn't think they'd be looking for orcs and trolls around Dunland. As far as I know, that land was free of such creatures excepting Sauron's march into Eriador in the Second Age, and of course Saruman's later excursions into orc-man eugenics.
A simple hunting foray into the area is possible, I guess. But if that was the case those Rivendelves sure went far afield to get the best game.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #16
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth of Sauron View Post
There's something else.

If Elves visited Fangorn from time to time, one of the 3 eldest Ents, Skinbark - and his people - lived on the high WESTERN slopes of the Misty Mountains, which were presumably directly above Dunland.

So rather than Gildorian companies reaching Fangorn via the Gap of Rohan, they may have taken a short-cut through Dunland to reach Skinbark ?
Nay, I would not think so. With referrence to the above, let us keep in mind that Fangorn was no tourist attraction for the Elves. I believe that until Legolas' days, hardly any Elf set his foot there in a long time. Remember Celeborn's warnings to the Fellowship. Lórien Elves did not go to Fangorn, they respected each others' borders and did not have any intercourse for ages, possibly since the constitution of the realm of Lórien. And if the Lórien Elves, who were forest folk and lived close by, did not come there, what more the Rivendell Elves, who lived far away and the journey was long and perilous - and either very un-Elvish, through Gap of Isen (while Saruman was still an ally), or dangerous through the mountains. But like I said: I believe no Elf actually visited Fangorn before Legolas.

Western slopes of the Misty Mountains are not that much anyway, speaking of Skinbark. I am not sure, I would have to check in the books, but around the Gap of Isen, being on the western slopes does not necessarily mean being west of Isengard. What would Skinbark do there anyway? I guess he might have as well been dwelling close to Fangorn's western end, near Isengard.

Quote:

Those nights the men of Dunland retire to their forts and roundhouses, build up the fire and bar the door, knowing that uncanny folk beyond their understanding are abroad.

Maybe !

What do you think?
I would go with Inziladun on this one, and I would add that the Elves we know certainly do not resemble the ones from the Wild Hunt (or however it's called properly in English) much. The Wood Elves of Thranduil did something like that, but I can't imagine the Rivendellers doing so - why would they go to such a distant land? The forests of Rhudaur were quite good for hunting AND also dangerous enough, aside from that, the diminishing Elves were really not probably in a mood to make long trips to Dunland just to hunt, they had enough to do with the orcs and trolls around their own homelands. No, I do not believe that this is the case, at least not here in Dunland. Maybe in ages past - but it would have to be really long, long time past, before even Men came there, if ever. There never have been many Elven settlements around Dunland, not of the sort that Elves would go hunting from there.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #17
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Question

Quote:
Nice discussion,

I've been wondering about the applicability of folklore here. Now British (and probably more generally European) folklore had the concept of the 'High Hunt', where, usually on a dark, warm, inexplicably windy, witchy, twitchy sort of summer's night, often Midsummer, the faerie / sidhe / elves held a great annual hunt.

... and the White Stag was seen by Bilbo et al on their trek.

Maybe !

What do you think?
I think that I love Rumil's post even though, at first, I cound't think of anythingthat might support it. But then...

How about these?

Wild 'Hunt' # 1:
Quote:
‘This is Glorfindel, who dwells in the house of Elrond,’ said Strider.
‘Hail, and well met at last!’ said the Elf-lord to Frodo. ‘I was sent from Rivendell to look for you. We feared that you were in danger upon the road.’
‘Then Gandalf has reached Rivendell?’ cried Frodo joyfully.
‘No. He had not when I departed; but that was nine days ago,’ answered Glorfindel. ‘Elrond received news that troubled him. Some of my kindred, journeying in your land beyond the Baranduin,* learned that things were amiss, and sent messages as swiftly as they could. They said that the Nine were abroad, and that you were astray bearing a great burden without guidance, for Gandalf had not returned. There are few even in Rivendell that can ride openly against the Nine; but such as there were, Elrond sent out north, west, and south. It was thought that you might turn far aside to avoid pursuit, and become lost in the Wilderness.
‘It was my lot to take the Road, and I came to the Bridge of Mitheithel, and left a token there, nigh on seven days ago. Three of the servants of Sauron were upon the Bridge, but they withdrew and I pursued them westward. I came also upon two others, but they turned away southward. …”
Wild 'HUNT' # 2:
Quote:

(Bilbo said…’…) But if you ask me, Elrond will send out a fair number, when the reports come in. Have they started yet, Gandalf?’
‘Yes,’ said the wizard. ‘Some of the scouts have been sent out already. More will go tomorrow. Elrond is sending Elves, and they will get in touch with the Rangers, and maybe with Thranduil’s folk in Mirkwood. And Aragorn has gone with Elrond’s sons. We shall have to scour the lands all round for many long leagues before any move is made. So cheer up, Frodo! You will probably make quite a long stay here.’

The hobbits had been nearly two months in the House of Elrond, and November had gone by with the last shreds of autumn, and December was passing, when the scouts began to return. Some had gone north beyond the springs of the Hoarwell into the Ettenmoors; and others had gone west, and with the help of Aragorn and the Rangers had searched the lands far down the Greyflood, as far as Tharbad, where the old North Road crossed the river by a ruined town. Many had gone east and south; and some of these had crossed the Mountains and entered Mirkwood, while others had climbed the pass at the source of the Gladden River, and had come down into Wilderland and over the Gladden Fields and so at length had reached the old home of Radagast at Rhosgobel. Radagast was not there; and they had returned over the high pass that was called the Dimrill Stair. The sons of Elrond, Elladan and Elrohir, were the last to return; they had made a great journey, passing down the Silverlode into a strange country, but of their errand they would not speak to any save to Elrond.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Point taken about Elrond's scounting parties. However, even with one or two Elves making it as far as Tharbad then, I'd think it doubtful any of the Dunlendings would have seen them. After all, the scouts were surely acting as secretly as they could.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #19
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Hollin (Eregion) borders Dunland. And long ago (how long since the forest receeded?) Dunland may have been very woody indeed. In Hollin's heyday I can imagine many wild hunts, perhaps through the extended forest that Treebeard described.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #20
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Eye From ghoulies and ghosties and long-legged beasties...

Hi all,

agree, my hunting proposal is largely speculation.

Cheers Mark12.30! And in the second quote Gandalf does mention elven 'scouring' as well as 'scouting'.

If the elves indeed went a-hunting, I think that this might , if you like, have spiritual or psychic significance. (Beep beep beep speculation alert state 2!). As well as scouring the land of orcs and wolves etc, could they have also scoured the land of malign entities 'from the other side'?

Certainly all remark on the 'wholesomeness' of the lands that elves inhabit, even realms lacking one of the Three, or an abandoned country such as Hollin. What do I mean by malign entities? We-elll, er, hooom, naturally things that go bump in the night, maybe including minor wights, left-over victims of Morgul blade stabbings, Mewlips perhaps, houseless fea and whatnot, you know, generally dark, shadowy, malevolant sort of customers.

I'd expect that, what with great elf lords such as Glorfindel 'revealing themselves on the other side', such unpleasant types would slink back to their holes in the Mountains or the Darkwood, leaving behind a lighter, happier atmosphere in their absence. Therefore the Hunt could be a duty as well as a pleasure, and the world just that bit less sparkly in the absence of the Quendi.

(PS Legate and everyone- see if you can guess my riddle in the Quiz Room - shameless plug )
Old 08-19-2009, 05:37 AM   #21
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up

Firstly, Legate's idea that Elves still came to Hollin in a kind of pilgrimage and that the Dunlendings saw this as their country as well makes a lot of sense to me and is an easy explanation for this "riddle".

Hunting and scouting parties passing through also make sense, again something I had not taken into account.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #22
Ghazi
Haunting Spirit

Ghazi has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth of Sauron View Post
That statement implies that some Elves must have visited Dunland from time to time, within the living memory of Dunlendings. Any ideas on who those Elves would be and what their business was ?
I don't remember much about it but there was a place called Lond Daer south of the Isen along the coast that was an elvish habitation, at least at some point. I don't recall if it was inhabited at the time of the events in LotR or not. If it was, it could have served as reason for elves travelling from Rivendell to cross Dunland.
Ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #23
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghazi View Post
I don't remember much about it but there was a place called Lond Daer south of the Isen along the coast that was an elvish habitation, at least at some point. I don't recall if it was inhabited at the time of the events in LotR or not. If it was, it could have served as reason for elves travelling from Rivendell to cross Dunland.
Lond Daer was relatively near Dunland, being almost due west of it, and northwest of the Isen, situated along the R. Gwathló. It was originally a Númenórean harbour, long deserted by the time of the War of the Ring. Though it was indeed within a reasonable striking distance from Dunland, I can't recall any mention of elves ever dwelling there.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #24
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Lond Daer was relatively near Dunland, being almost due west of it, and northwest of the Isen, situated along the R. Gwathló. It was originally a Númenórean harbour, long deserted by the time of the War of the Ring. Though it was indeed within a reasonable striking distance from Dunland, I can't recall any mention of elves ever dwelling there.
No, there were no Elves there. It was a long deserted harbour, from the days of the great Númenoreans, and it had nothing to do with Elves at all. Maybe Ghazi had mixed it up with Edhellond in Gondor, which was the harbour from where Elves (Nimrodel among others) were leaving before it eventually too became abandoned and forgotten.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #25
Ghazi
Haunting Spirit

Ghazi has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
...Maybe Ghazi had mixed it up with Edhellond in Gondor, which was the harbour from where Elves (Nimrodel among others) were leaving before it eventually too became abandoned and forgotten.
I had it confused with Dol Amroth. In UT, it is mentioned that Celeborn and Galadriel moved there for awhile before returning to Lorinand. Where is Edhellond on the map? Is it another name for Dol Amroth.
Ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #26
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghazi View Post
I had it confused with Dol Amroth. In UT, it is mentioned that Celeborn and Galadriel moved there for awhile before returning to Lorinand. Where is Edhellond on the map? Is it another name for Dol Amroth.
According to the UT index, Edhellond was "the 'Elf-haven' in Belfalas near the confluence of the rivers Morthond and Ringló, north of Dol Amroth."

Last edited by Inziladun; 08-23-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote