The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
Who in Gondor had "dealings with the Elves" ?

At Henneth Annun Faramir told Frodo and Sam that in Gondor there were "still some who have dealings with the Elves when they may".

Who would these people be in Gondor and which Elves would they have dealings with ?
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I remember this coming up before. That was a good thread, and seemed to cover most of the necessary points.
All I can really think to add is the idea that maybe when Faramir said this:

Quote:
'Yet, there are among us still who have dealings with the Elves when they may, and ever and anon one will go in secret, seldom to return.'
he might have been thinking of Aragron in his Thorongil guise, when the latter had served in Gondor some years before. Faramir never met 'Thorongil' but the latter had been highly esteemed by Faramir's grandfather, Ecthelion II. There's no direct indication in the books that 'Thorongil' ever admitted having been to Lórien, but I don't think it out of the question that he might have told someone that, or they might have read between the lines. And maybe he'd said something along the way about returning there one day, 'for there my heart lies', or something to that effect. It's a thought, anyway.

Last edited by Inziladun; 02-16-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree Would 'Thorongil' have revealed such details?

I don't believe that 'Thorongil' would have revealed such things about himself, Inziladun. More plausible is that people, as you said, 'read between the lines'. The Gondorians weren't stupid; and I can well imagine Steward Ecthelion II, and his son and later successor Denethor II, concluding that he had an 'elvish air', an air of one who had dealings with the Elves, something Faramir later concluded about Frodo.

I'm sure that Boromir asked his father about about the great captain who was the talk of Gondor and Rohan at that time; and Denethor may have said something like the above, perhaps in Faramir's presence.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Wight

PrinceOfTheHalflings is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Faramir is clearly talking about more than one person, so it can't just be Thorongil. Besides, that was many years earlier. Faramir also says that sometimes people return from Lorien - the "seldom to return" comment means that sometimes they do.

I don't think that it should be beyond belief that some Men were still friendly with Elves. We know of a whole group who were - the Dunedain of the North had dealings with the Elves of Rivendell. The sons of Elrond rode with them on occasion. Aragorn lived in Rivendell at one time, etc, etc.

As far as Aragorn visiting Lorien in his 'Thorongil' days, well maybe he did, and maybe he didn't. Arwen visited Lorien on occasion. Aragorn knew Arwen and was certainly known to the Elves of Rivendell. Would Aragorn have been welcome in Lorien in earlier times? Perhaps there were those in Lorien who even knew of him? Arwen was Galadriel's granddaughter, after all.

Last edited by PrinceOfTheHalflings; 02-18-2010 at 08:35 AM.
PrinceOfTheHalflings is offline   Reply With Quote