The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-20-2009, 04:56 AM   #1
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
The Horn of Buckland

In the chapter in ROTK, "The Scouring of the Shire", when the 4 Travellers decided to raise the Shire, as Sam was riding to the Cottons, Merry blew 2 horns : (a) the Rohan horn that Eomer and Eowyn gave him, and (b) the Horn of Buckland.

How did Merry come by the Horn of Buckland ? There was no mention of him taking it with him when the hobbits left to go through the Old Forest at the start of the Quest - and no record of them detouring to Buckland when they arrived back in the Shire after the Ring had been destroyed.

A continuity error from JRRT ?
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
This is one of those passages that requires precise reading:
Quote:
(Merry) "I am going to blow the horn of Rohan..."
...a sudden clear horn-call...
Then he heard Merry change the note, and up went the Horn-cry of Buckland...
Merry knew the notes that made up the special signal for the Horn-call of Buckland, and that would have been familiar to many Hobbits. He did not change the horn, he changed the notes that he played. A typical hunting horn cannot play all notes of the scale like a modern concert horn can, but it still has enough notes, which can be varied in length and in the order in which they're played, to make different calls.

Imagine a modern military bugle - the same instrument can play reveille, retreat, or taps.

Interestingly, the horn is the one instrument played by humans in Tolkien's works which has more than an entertaining or signalling function - it seems to move the hearts of people in an almost supernatural way. We never read of trumpet signals having a similar effect.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
JeffF.
Haunting Spirit

JeffF. has just left Hobbiton.
The Horn

The horn was given to Merry by Eowyn (See Many Partings RotK), it was made by the Dwarves and was part of the hoard of Scatha the Worm. Eorl the young brought it with him when the Rohirrim emigrated from the Vales of Anduin.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry, but I don't buy that.

I think 2 distinct horns were required to provide 2 distinct "calls to arms". And JRRT messed up by asking us to believe that Merry carried the Horn of Buckland around throughout the whole adventure.
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth of Sauron View Post
Sorry, but I don't buy that.

I think 2 distinct horns were required to provide 2 distinct "calls to arms". And JRRT messed up by asking us to believe that Merry carried the Horn of Buckland around throughout the whole adventure.
Why must that be the case? As Esty said, military buglers are required to know many different calls, the meanings of which are readily distinguishable by the trained ear.

Last edited by Inziladun; 07-20-2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Mouth, what you say about different horns being needed for different calls to arms has no basis in either musical or military history. Would a horn player in battle have carried two different horns to play, one for attack and another for retreat? That would have been illogical and impractical.

The passage I quoted earlier is very clear - he blew on the horn of Rohan, then changed the note, not the instrument. Read the words that are written there - no other proof is needed.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Awake!

Hi all,

I think Esty is quite right, and indeed we know the Horn-call of Buckland

Quote:
AWAKE! FEAR! FIRE! FOES! AWAKE!
FEAR! FIRE! FOES!
AWAKE! AWAKE!
As blown in response to Fatty Bolger's waning of Nazgul invasion. It can't be specific to a particular horn as-

Quote:
Far away answering horns were heard. The alarm was spreading
Which makes sense as otherwise only the owner of one horn could blow the alarm, which is silly!

So to me the tune went something like 'Bwa, wa, wa, wa, Bwa, wa, wa, wa, Bwa, Bwa' (you can tell I'm not a musician huh? ). Sounds a little reminiscent of a British fox-hunting call to me, anyone??
Old 07-21-2009, 03:47 AM   #8
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dűm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth of Sauron View Post
I think 2 distinct horns were required to provide 2 distinct "calls to arms".

I can play a modern military-style bugle and I'm familiar with more than a couple of dozen different signal calls.
A bugle can produce five notes and most signal calls and marching tunes use only four. It's amazing what you can do with just four notes; listen to some modern pop songs.

The Horn of Rohan, if my memory serve me right, was described as small, perhaps something like a modern fox-hunting horn. It would have produced only three notes but that's enough for many different signals. When I play my version of the Buckland alarm call, I use only two notes.

Last edited by Selmo; 07-21-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote