The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2003, 11:40 AM   #41
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i totally understand, eowyn does make you want to cry and laugh with her<BR>but i did cry with arwen in a way... actually i cried at the same time as her, not for her... in those futuristic scenes when shes crying cos aragorn's dead<P>but i dont feel sorry for her
Old 02-20-2003, 11:56 AM   #42
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

<A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001373" TARGET=_blank>What about Galadriel?</A><P>I'm so vain
Old 02-20-2003, 11:57 AM   #43
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't view Eowyn as a strong woman. She has looked to men to take her out of the situation she is unhappy in. She thinks she is in love with Aragorn and then she is in love enough with Faramir to marry him. I think it is a means to an end for her.<P>I believe Arwen is both stronger and more beautiful. She has had the strength to trust to her beliefs and hopes and stay true.<P>Sure Eowyn goes to battle, but does she do so out of strength or because she is giving in to her fears?
Old 02-20-2003, 04:12 PM   #44
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

I personally think that hands down Arwen is the more beautiful. After all, she's the reincarnation of Luthien Tinuviel. Sure, Eowyn is lovely too, but Aragorn choses Arwen over her for a reason.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:49 PM   #45
LordValburg

Shield

Eowyn, definitely.<BR>How could you not admire a woman who stands up to defend her uncle's body against the Witch King of Angmar on a fell beast, which she decapitates! Also she is the queen of Ilithien(sp?) which is the pearl of Gondor. When does arwen fight? Never, she's daddy's little princess who hides in a mansion. She doesn't put her life infront of the greastest foe of the Third Age. Her character is very strong and determined
Old 02-21-2003, 04:46 PM   #46
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

This reminds me of the discussion in the books between Gimli and Aragorn about who was more beautiful Galadriel or Arwen. I think Aragorn said something like "You have chosen the morning and I the night."<P>Both are beautiful and played their parts well.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:18 PM   #47
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

EOWYN!!!<P>Sorry I'm probably very biased I mean she is my favourite character. But in her defence against some attacks. Her world was shrinking her uncle (kinda her father since her own one is dead) is being tricked into dotage by his advisor who also has a worrying fascination for her. In Aragorn she sees someone who she greatly admires I mean who doesn't and yes probably ALSO someone to rescue her from her shrinking world. But she does love Faramir her heart is turned to him and he melts her heart. Remember how Aragorn descibes her as a lily whose sap has been turned to frost? <P>That's probably a bit off the topic but I just felt she needed some defence.<P>And greyhavener it's Gimli and Eomer who have the argument but a very good point.
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:36 PM   #48
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

EOWYN!!!!!! Not just in form but in spirit; Arwen can't even stand up[ to her daddy, and shes much, much older! <P>Himaran
Himaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:40 PM   #49
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

I'm sorry, but no mere horse-maiden can stand up to the reimbodiment of Luthien. Arwen the Evenstar wins by a mile-wide margin.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:51 PM   #50
Elotareth
Animated Skeleton

Elotareth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Eowyn is a strong woman, but she has a lot of naivete and often acts very impulsively. She has a beautiful free spirit. Arwen on the other hand is so old that she has much more wisdom. In that sense, I believe she is justified in being involved in less action. She is content to watch from a distance and does her part by inspiring Aragorn to continue on his quest. In her, he finds the courage that he previously lacked. <BR>Physically, they are both very beautiful, but I (as a female) appreciate the Elvish style of beauty.
Matthew 28:20
"Renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king"
Elotareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:01 AM   #51
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Arwen is more physically perfect, but Eowyn is more appealing, and therefore more attractive in my book.<P>Plus, I could never respect Arwen after reading Appendix A. She made this great romantic sacrifice and then spoiled it at the end by whining.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> ...and then all left him save Arwen, and she stood alone by his bed. And for all her wisdom and lineage she could not forbear to plead with him to stay yet awhile. She was not yet weary of her days, and thus she tasted the bitterness of the mortality that she had taken upon her. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>-Lily
Old 04-02-2003, 12:02 PM   #52
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

I really don't think she was whining. I think Aragorn's decision to intentionally lay down his life "early" took her by surprise. As a Numenorean, he had the right to do so; but why should he? He was leaving her while he "still had some good years left". I don't think she grasped his reasons why he was leaving at that time (I'm not sure I do, either). As I understand it: he was leaving so his son could ascend the throne because he was ready, and Aragorn simply felt that it was his time to die well before he entered dotage. <P>But-- still, I can almost hear Arwen thinking, why? Why now? Why not spend more time with me? After what I sacrificed for you, can't you stay for me a little longer?<P>As to who is more beautiful: Eowyn was, Fair, fair and cold, like a morning of pale spring still touched by winter's chill. Arwen was the Evenstar, that moved Frodo to say, Even the night shall be blessed, and all it's fear removed. <P>As stated above, it depends on whether you prefer morning or evening. Some appreciate both.<P>In terms of "lying around dreaming about Aragorn"--no, that's called Osanwe, and it's a powerful tool, not romantic daydreaming. It is the same "watching" that Galadriel and Elrond use; the same that Gandalf uses, that enabled him to speak to Frodo's mind atop Amon Hen. Tolkien describes it carefully. Arwen is no less a force in the war (because she fights with her mind) than Galadriel is (who also fights with her mind.)<P>You can see Aragorn occasionally using Osanwe also; but Tolkien clearly states that Arwen and Galadriel watch from afar.<p>[ April 02, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-03-2003, 04:02 PM   #53
OddEvenstar
Pile O'Bones

OddEvenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to OddEvenstar
Shield

This is a total toss-up for me. Both Eowyn and Arwen are magnificent women, but for now I'm slightly leaning toward Eowyn, the Shield Maiden of Rohan. What can I say? She can fight for herself, she defends the glory of Rohan, and she is still graceful and fair. I can still see where one could side with Arwen, though, as she is, well, she's an Elf-maiden, and in direct descent from Luthien herself. To me, she emanates the power to heal, of her many gifts. Plus, it was Aragorn who finally fell for <i>her</i> . If we're talking aesthetic beauty, I'll vote for Arwen. But for beauty in strength, honor, and determination, Eowyn is your woman.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:58 AM   #54
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

They're both beautiful, in their own ways since they are differnet races. Arwen has that gentle, feminine beauty and Eowyn has thar wild, tomboyish look. But on the whole, they're both pretty.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:08 PM   #55
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I think that Miranda Otoo is pretty. But I'd much rather look like Liv Tyler myself.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:23 PM   #56
Elotareth
Animated Skeleton

Elotareth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A have a friend who looks so much like Liv Tyler, but acts a whole lot more like Eowyn. Its remarkable the similarities between her and both of the characters! Even though I like Arwen a bit better, (I'm even doubting that statement as I type it), I think they are both amazing women.<BR>Oh, and where do you read about Osanwe?
Matthew 28:20
"Renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king"
Elotareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 02:41 PM   #57
Galadriel9
Haunting Spirit

Galadriel9 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi everyone, I have to say, I agree with your post from ages ago, Goldberry, I liked Arwen best in the book, even though she doesn't appear much, coz obviously an elf and she's meant to look like Tinuviel isn't she? I mean you can't really beat that, can you? But, in the TTT movie, I definately thought Eowyn was the best, the fact that she DID more made her more beautiful, she did what she felt was right and she was way stronger in the movie. Arwen, all due respect to her and stuff, just didn't DO anything in TTT except sit around looking tearful, that was a bit of a disappointment after the stunning performance in FotR,so...Eowyn all the way, I think. But they are both really pretty, I'd give my right arm to look like EITHER of them!
Old 04-05-2003, 05:54 PM   #58
merenwen
Animated Skeleton

merenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

personally i think arwen is more beautiful but i think eowyn is gonna kick butt in rotk
Old 04-05-2003, 06:17 PM   #59
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Both of the actresses are beautiful. Once somebody told me that I look like Liv Tyler... that made my day. And my best friend thinks I look like her younger sister. I think in the books Arwen is supposed to be more beautiful, her being an elf and looking like Luthien and all, but I prefer Eowyn's character. I mean, she killed the Witch King! That is cool!

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 02:32 AM   #60
GlingleglingleglingleFairy
Animated Skeleton

GlingleglingleglingleFairy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I go for Eowyn all the way, Arwen's so annoying, she's so incredibly perfect but in an arrogant, superior way. Honestly, you can't compare killing the lord of the Nazgul to sitting at home. (knitting?) I know Arwen dies for Aragorn, but that doesn't make her beautiful, just loyal and in love.

Some people prefer cupcakes. I for one care less for them.
GlingleglingleglingleFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 06:43 AM   #61
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

probaly miranda otto because have you seen liv tyler at the premieres? she wears so much make up!
Old 04-08-2003, 07:08 PM   #62
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> A have a friend who looks so much like Liv Tyler, but acts a whole lot more like Eowyn. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That's funny- a few people have said I look slightly like Liv, but looking into a mirror I can't find a trace of her *sigh*, but if I were to choose which one I act more like, I'd certainly say Eowyn.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:36 PM   #63
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

I must say the Arwen has my vote. Liv Tyler played the role very well, and Miranda Otto did this thing when Aragron blocked her sword when she was "having fun with it" as my friend says. The effect on us was that Miranda went "bug-eyed".

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:51 AM   #64
Novlamothien
Haunting Spirit

Novlamothien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eowyn, for the same reasons everyone else has. I do like Arwen, just not in the movies.<P>Namarie
Old 07-21-2003, 10:43 AM   #65
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Neither. I presonally didn't like either all THAT well. If I had to pick I'd say Eowyn I think. Although sometimes she looks better than other times.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:26 PM   #66
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>... Arwen is the more beautiful. After all, she's the reincarnation of Luthien Tinuviel. Sure, Eowyn is lovely too, but Aragorn choses Arwen over her for a reason.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>Yes. I certainly agree. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"You have chosen the morning and I the night."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>I love that line. Aragorn has always been my biased favourite. And I usually like a good quote about the night. My family makes fun of me because I am a major night owl. <P>Does anyone remember that the real reason Eowyn loved Aragorn was because of the honor and the glory that he had? Personally, although I do like her, that sort of ruined something that should have been purer in her character, for me. Arwen gave herself completely to and for Aragorn no matter what happened. That is why, I think, I like her better.<p>[ July 27, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote