The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #2681
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The notion that the American government, which has bankrupted every other social program, is fit to run a health care system.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #2682
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Also, the behavior of otherwise "normal" people while shopping on Black Friday.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #2683
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
The notion that nothing is somehow better than not enough, and the idea that money is more significant than the welfare of human beings.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #2684
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Modern politics on a Tolkien forum.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #2685
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Accessible and affordable health care is not politics, it is the right of all human beings.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #2686
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The federal government has inflated the size of every one of its social programs while simultaneously bankrupting them. Without exception. Such political and financial irresponsibility is certainly Mordorian, while the notion that they're actually fit to run them is certainly spread by Wormtongue, from his base in Isengard.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #2687
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I feel the foul, acorn-scented breath of the dreaded 'Chat Skwerlz'.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #2688
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I truly assign not being able to go on the Downs at home to Mordor. To Angband, to the bloody void! My father decided that it would be a good idea to take away the last of my sanity and use his parental control powers to block out the BD and LJ! The only way that I can go on now is through other computers (like the one at my aunt's house, like I'm using right now).
Old 11-28-2009, 01:01 AM   #2689
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
If you tell me what kind of computer you have and it happens to be one I know how to use really well I can tell you some ways of possibly bypassing those parental controls. I could also if I need to ask my distant friend and close acquaintance who knows this stuff really well.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:11 AM   #2690
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I assign wanting to jump into conversations even when I know it's a terrible idea.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:03 AM   #2691
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
If you tell me what kind of computer you have and it happens to be one I know how to use really well I can tell you some ways of possibly bypassing those parental controls. I could also if I need to ask my distant friend and close acquaintance who knows this stuff really well.
Ooh. I might want to talk to my father about it before I go mad. But I've got a friend who's really good with computers and things, I could probably just ask him about it. That is if I don't talk to my father and get it worked out with him first. I might consider doing that.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:40 AM   #2692
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Pot holes... they have totally given up repairing the roads here (though not charging us royally for road fund licence) and the problem has been exacerbated by the weather this year. So yesterday the inevintable happened and one of the blighters trashe a wheel rim (as well as rattling my teeth).
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #2693
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Other people's alarm clocks.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:04 AM   #2694
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Tribal feuds culminating into a bloody massacre that involved dozens of journalists in southern Philippines. And the bigotry that erupts amongst the (Christian) majority that southern Muslims are anarchic, uneducated, and uncivilized people.

That part of our nation has always been turbulent, but it does not mean that because it's Muslim, it's instantly anarchic, women-hating, or whatever stereotypes are attached to Muslims in the West. There are many Muslim communities all over the country that manage and even thrive with the Christian majority.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #2695
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Having almost finnished the first draft for your bachelor-project, but being unable to finish it just yet.

Why?

Because I am also doing a course in museology and the two lectors are not from the SAXO institute, so they did not know the deadlien for the bachelor project. . .So they placed our exam at the same time as the bachelor deadline.

Luckily I have gotten a dispensation so I have some extra time, but I still have to focus on the museology exam for the next two weeks. (first I have to hand in a synopsis and then an oral exam) First when that is done, can I focus on my bachelor project again. . . hopefully I can finish it before Yule.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #2696
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Gas station restrooms.

Especially women's gas station restrooms that have been stocked with products for men.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:27 AM   #2697
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Large rainstorms on the radar map roaring towards "whereIam" when I really, really want to ride my bike to work because it's balmy outside.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:52 AM   #2698
Mugwump
Wight

Mugwump has just left Hobbiton.
The mischaracterization and sanctification of legal entitlements: designating as "rights" things that require the enslavement of others to pay for.
Mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #2699
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemo
Especially women's gas station restrooms ...
... although, to be fair, men's gas station restrooms are probably more *literally* reminiscent of Mordor.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #2700
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man View Post
... although, to be fair, men's gas station restrooms are probably more *literally* reminiscent of Mordor.
That is very true...

Although in the long term (i.e., collective living) women's restrooms are more likely to get messed up than men's (at least in the U.S.), because of all the chemicals we apply to ourselves in the name of beauty.

But though gas station restrooms deserve an assignation in their own right, it was the blatant discrimination in the vending machines that really set me off.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #2701
Mugwump
Wight

Mugwump has just left Hobbiton.
I'd say the maze of New York State divorce law, but that's much worse than getting stuck in Mordor.
Mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #2702
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
But though gas station restrooms deserve an assignation in their own right, it was the blatant discrimination in the vending machines that really set me off.
I recall some "hole in the floor" loos (rest rooms too far of the mark) in France and Italy that I could nominate in the literal mordor category.. caught between horror and desperation and wishing I had the camel gene. Strangers to vending machines of any kind but more pertinently hygeine and bog roll. I can't comment on the men's obviously other than that many seemed to utilise street furniture for this purpose..
Old 12-03-2009, 07:58 AM   #2703
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

People trying to hawk shoddy, inferior products no one in their right mind would want, on this forum. I'd like to consign them to Angband, in fact.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #2704
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

People who, after you buy them lunch or dinner, leave you and don't bother to talk to you or even to thank you. The cadet officer whose meal I bought while our corps had a sort of bonding-dinner didn't bother to sit next to me, and after eating unceremoniously went away. It was embarrassing, at least to the few who noticed.

Legal Madness.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #2705
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
People who get so excited when they are finally able to perform the basic function of copying and pasting text, they feel the need to dance around the office and proclaim to all within earshot, "I DID IT EVERYBODY, I DID IT, I COPIED AND PASTED!" Especially when said individuals are considered in most ways one's superior. *facepalm*

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #2706
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sleet.... I am not overly keen on anything cold and wet falling from the sky but sleet is the most depressing weather...
Old 12-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #2707
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign distractions from the pursuit of knowledge to Mordor.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #2708
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Getting sick on Christmas, two days before a bunch of 'Downers arrive for the biggest get together in BD history, and one week before a really exhausting series of classes starts (and I can't miss any or I have to postpone my entire semester until July).

Options are: cold, bad allergies, or strep (nobody told me my cousin's kid has strep and I had her sisters on my lap for hours the other night).

Fingers crossed for allergies, please, and my apologies to everyone for the fact that I'm probably going to be fighting a hacking cough all night in a packed apartment.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #2709
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mosquitoes mosquitoes mosquitoes! I have no idea how they survived my insecticide spray, unless I've left my screen open again... I had some insect-repelling incense hours ago, but now that it's consumed those little vampires are trying to suck the life and brains out of poor me, who's trying to concentrate on her thesis.

I wonder, do mosquitoes survive in the temperate zone, or is it wholly a tropical affair?

Legal Madness.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #2710
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
Mosquitoes mosquitoes mosquitoes! I have no idea how they survived my insecticide spray, unless I've left my screen open again... I had some insect-repelling incense hours ago, but now that it's consumed those little vampires are trying to suck the life and brains out of poor me, who's trying to concentrate on her thesis.

I wonder, do mosquitoes survive in the temperate zone, or is it wholly a tropical affair?
I live in what is known as a humid subtropical area, and we have them in plenty during the summer months. No malaria though. I know that's a major concern for those in the tropics.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #2711
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

No, thank God, Inziladun, I don't live in that part of our country. I think the only areas infected with malaria in the Philippines are the southern virgin forests... Our more concrete problem with mosquitoes is dengue, which thank heavens too, I haven't contracted since early childhood.

Legal Madness.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #2712
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
OH yeah. This is a good day's hunting up here in the summer. This is a random guy. Pretty average amount, really - I couldn't find pictures of the REALLY bad swarms. Also, our mosquitoes are much bigger than normal ones.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #2713
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
OH yeah. This is a good day's hunting up here in the summer. This is a random guy. Pretty average amount, really - I couldn't find pictures of the REALLY bad swarms. Also, our mosquitoes are much bigger than normal ones.

Goodness me. I've never seen so many mosquitoes on one human, let alone a jar. The mosquitoes sucking the life out of me last night were around a handful, three of which I've killed.

Legal Madness.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #2714
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Goodness me. I've never seen so many mosquitoes on one human, let alone a jar. The mosquitoes sucking the life out of me last night were around a handful, three of which I've killed.
We'll have events where the person to kill the most mosquitoes wins a prize. I've killed hundreds in one morning before. It's a bit insane, and I don't even live in the bad places.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 AM   #2715
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ok, Los, I won't complain about them Filipino mosquitoes anymore. *Stocks up Chinese incense*

Legal Madness.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #2716
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Also, our mosquitoes are much bigger than normal ones.
Is this because they also can't stand the cold?
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #2717
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Is this because they also can't stand the cold?
No, it's because they mostly eat caribou - very Alaskan of them, everything eats caribou up here. Ooh, Here's another good picture of a swarm.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #2718
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Having no voice for the twelfth day running. How am I supposed to sing along to my Glee playlist when I can barely manage word-resembling squeaks? Melody is not an option.

*pout*
Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #2719
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Having no voice for the twelfth day running. How am I supposed to sing along to my Glee playlist when I can barely manage word-resembling squeaks? Melody is not an option.

*pout*
You have my sympathies. I'm on day six of laryngitis myself, but mine does appear to be improving. At least I can speak audibly, even if my voice sounds like that of pubescent boy hitting "the break". This is an improvement over my last bout with full-blown laryngitis nearly 40 years ago, which I got while I was in the cast of a musical and had solos to sing. The bout started a little over two weeks before opening night, and didn't end until three days before. Not much time to get my voice back in shape, but thank God it ended when it did!

Right now, though, singing is not really possible. The vocal cords won't vibrate that way, and I'm not pushing 'em. It stinks to be a singer who can't sing, and doesn't dare if she wants things to heal properly.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #2720
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post

*pout*
I think it is a side effect of meeting other Downers... I lost my voice totally when I met TGWBS, Aganzir and Kath in London ..lasted for weeks....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace