The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-11-2002, 07:41 PM   #1
dernhelm
Animated Skeleton

dernhelm has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Which actors do you think ...?

Which actors do you think gave the most convincing performances in the movie? Which characters (that weren't in the first movie) are you most looking forward to seeing in the next two films?
Old 01-11-2002, 07:57 PM   #2
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Elijah IS Frodo! But I relize that alot won't agree. Still GO ELIJAH WOOD. Boromir was played well by Sean Bean too. Other good parts were Definatly Sam, Pippin, Merry, Aragorn, Gandalf, and Bilbo. I'm looking forward to Shelob and Treebeard. But I'm looking forward to Gollum the most.(I mean him having a real part and not just lurking in the shadows)
Old 01-11-2002, 08:09 PM   #3
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

They all gave very impressive portrayals. Christopher Lee, Sean Bean, John Rhys-Davies, Billy Boyd, and Laurence Makare really made their characters come to life, so did the actor that played Haldir. In TTT I'm definately looking forward to seeing More Merry and Pippin, Frodo and Sam trekking to Mordor, the friendship between Gimli And Legolas grow, Treebeard, Gandalf the White, Gollum in full,Wormtongue and The Battle of Helms Deep and the Drowning of Isengard. And the dazzling scenery and special effects.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 05:22 AM   #4
Erulasto
Pile O'Bones

Erulasto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ian McKellen WAS Gandalf, it was amazing. Elijah Wood WAS Frodo, Ian Holm WAS Bilbo. the rest of the cast were very good as well, apart from Cate Blanchett's Galadriel. she was okay. Hugo Weaving's Elrond was not at all how i had pictured the character, he was actually better. i liked the way the dwarves looked, though that's more a nod to the makeup and costume department than the actors. John Rhys-Davies was great as Gimli though. and Liv Tyler, who i don't usually like, was great as Arwen.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:56 AM   #5
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Pippin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the cast was superb and all aprts played very very well. the only gripe I had really with how the characters were performed was Galadriel and Celeborn-Celeborn didn't come across majestic enough somehow...and Galadriel had some brilliant moments, but for some reason the way she said "I know what it is you saw." after Frodo looks in the Mirror really irked me.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:46 PM   #6
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I almost fell off my seat laughing at Celeborn. What a joke. <P>-réd
Old 01-12-2002, 08:07 PM   #7
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Sting

ur right. Galadriel did preform stinky. She glowed to much. <BR> <A HREF="mailto:sunnyskys3200@yahoo.com">sunnyskys320 0@yahoo.com</A>
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 09:28 PM   #8
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

as to glowing...Arwen shouldn't have had that white glow at all<BR>I am reallllly hoping that they give Gimli a brain in the next movie!!!!!
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 10:56 PM   #9
Snowy

Sting

i thought that they all wre good. I think that elijah wood did very good in the movie.. i never used to like him brfore LOTR.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:32 AM   #10
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Almost all of them were very good, but maybe Ian McKellen, Elijah Wood, Sean Bean, Sean Astin and Ian Holm were the best.<BR>I'm really looking forward to seeing rest of the old and the new characters being developed well in The Two towers...!
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 11:39 AM   #11
Nenya
Wight

Sting

I forgot to say that I'm most looking forward to seeing Gollum,though I can't also wait to see Eowyn,Faramir and actually the whole gang... How many days to December?!
Old 01-13-2002, 11:46 AM   #12
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

*AHEM* Orlando Bloom? Viggo Mortensen?...I know, it's obvious, I go for the handsome warriors, as I well should. <BR>Overall however, I think Ian McKellen takes the cake. He was so good, I had the urge to seek him out after the movie, and give the old guy a big kiss.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:53 AM   #13
shieldmaiden
Wight

shieldmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bean was excellent as Boromir, McKellen was good but I expected more from him (maybe he had too many closeups)he'll probably be better in TT and RotK. <BR>Galadriel and Arwen shone too much, it really went on my nerves. That freaky Galadriel's glowing thingy made me laugh and ther Elf in Lorien who said something about Gimli being loud looked like a girl.
Old 01-13-2002, 12:25 PM   #14
Matt

Thumbs up

Celeborn sounded like he was stoned.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:45 AM   #15
Fembot

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Elf in Lorien who said something about Gimli being loud looked like a girl. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Too right. Elves are aloof and elegant yet manly. This guy was just a drag queen. Hugo Weaving also didn't really understand the Elf balance either. I would have expected better of him, he's a clever actor.<P>I also felt that Gandalf wasn't stern and distant enough. Yes, keep the affection but it needed to be in contrast. Other than that he was great.<P>I'm hoping old Viggo will make a stronger King of Gondor in TTT and ROTK.<P>Is it true Arwen will be the Xena of Middle Earth? I pray to Eru that she will leave it to the Lady of Rohan.<P>I look forward to Faramir being portrayed by Sea Change's Diver Dan...(swoon)
Old 01-15-2002, 04:50 AM   #16
Paladin

Sting

I thought the acting was good all around. Although if I had to pick the best performances,it was Sir Ian McKellan as Gandalf,and Elijah Wood as Frodo. Sean Bean was also very good as Boromir...I actually felt sad when Boromir was killed,even though I had read the book before.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:25 PM   #17
Enkanowen
Haunting Spirit

Enkanowen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

sean bean as boromir and sean astin as sam blew me away, elijah wood pleasently surprised me. I would have never though a 19-year-old could portray Frodo this well. Ian McKellen could never possibly do anything wrong, he is one of the best actors I could have ever imagines. Christopher Lee as Saruman is going to be amazing once he gets to talk more in TTT. Legolas... well Legolas' character is somewhat 2-dimensional in the movie, but that's because he didn't get many lines. He just pranced around a lot, which Orlando Bloom did VERY well.
Enkanowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 04:10 AM   #18
Sindalómiel
Wight

Sindalómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sindalómiel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Enkanowen:<BR><STRONG>elijah wood pleasently surprised me. I would have never though a 19-year-old could portray Frodo this well. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Elijah Wood is only 19? I thought he was older...not much older, but still....that means he's the same age as me...
Old 01-23-2002, 07:30 AM   #19
legolasbabe

Eye

Orlando Bloom of course
Old 01-23-2002, 10:26 AM   #20
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i thought elijah wood is 20, o well it doesn't make much difference.<P>He's been slated a lot for only having one expression, but if you think of how much the timescale was compressed and how little he was told before leaving bag end, i mean, you'd be in shock, wouldn't you?<P>otherwise I thought the fellowship was great but ian holm put me off a bit, I'm used to him voicing Frodo in the BBC Radio adaptation so it was odd seeing him as Bilbo. Christopher Lee was great though, I really don't like his dracula films so i was very pleasantly suprised

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 11:55 AM   #21
littlehobbit

Ring

elijah was 19 when he started filming, but-he got older, and turned 21 right after he was finish filming..<P>I liked elijah wood,orlando bloom,Ian McKellan best.. And I noticed that no one had said that they liked viggo mortensen (strider). I think he was great! He is a great actor, and I think he did a briliant job as strider... why didn`t you like him?
Old 01-24-2002, 01:48 AM   #22
Enkanowen
Haunting Spirit

Enkanowen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Viggo Mortensen was an emergency cast, 3 weeks before shooting started or something like that. He's good, but not great. Considering the time he had to prepare the character he did an outstanding job of course. The fight scenes were a bit weak but that doesn't matter. He did a well job.
Enkanowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 06:55 AM   #23
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Ring

Stuart Townsend who is in Queen of the Damned was cast originally for the part. Viggo Mortensen replaced him. I thought Viggo made a fantastic Stider/Aragorn.
Old 01-24-2002, 07:09 AM   #24
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Viggo Mortensen was an emergency cast? Wow, then i'm glad they had an emergency! I thought he was great, he managed to pull off the whole 'hidden nobility' thing really well.

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 02:08 PM   #25
Naweela

Silmaril

Did no one like any of the elves? I thought they were all brilliant! OK Celeborn did seem like a little out of it but he lives in Lothlorien afterall its bound to make you a bit out of it! Cate Blanchett was brilliant; aloof, enigmatic, cool, all-seeing, and elves are meant to glow! Remember they're not meant to be human so they shouldn't feel to "familiar" to us! Arwen was also great, thank God they included more than two female characters.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:50 PM   #26
the_master_of_puppets
Haunting Spirit

the_master_of_puppets has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

right, well, wot can i possibley say after all that?! lol. i actually thought every actor in the film portrayed his/her part excellently, and they really made them all come to life. i feel legolas and gimli didnt get enough lines, but TTT shood have that amended since they r a major part of it...celeborn was kinda i dunno queer(?) but he only was in one scene! heh heh. i thought they perhaps put galardiel a little more meanacing then i imagined she might be; but then i guess thats how it was supposed to be even in the books. ok so now that iv said that im most looking forward to meeting the people of Rohan in TTT, but not eowyn because 4 some absurd reason while reading TTT and TRotK i took a serious dislike to her- god knows why. lol. soz 2 all those of u who like her! so im looking forward 2c-ing how she is portrayed in film and if it can bring me round to liking her...<P>oh and seeing wot gollum looks like 2 might be interesting...it isnt until TRotK that sam finds frodo naked is it? just a thought but elijah wood naked...that might cause an uproar! lol.
the_master_of_puppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 03:05 PM   #27
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Question

Gollum, as I understand, is computer generated.<BR>I thought Sean Astin made an excellent Sam, (though while watching the movie my mind kept thinking "Mikey", which made it a little weird) also Elijah Wood was a wonderful Frodo. Ian McKellen WAS Gandalf.<BR>I thought Billy Boyd made a wonderful Pippin, though Merry didn't stand out that much. Waiting for the next movie...<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Lord of the Rings<BR>Remember Hobbits?<BR>Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin<BR>Nine walkers on a journey<P>Copyright 2001 S. Uffelman <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 08:26 PM   #28
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Bean as Boromir was the best!
Old 01-24-2002, 09:28 PM   #29
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sean Astin, Sir Ian McKellan, Elijah Wood. <P>Question: does anyone know why there was an emergency casting for Aragorn? I've heard of it, but never understood what happened.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:22 AM   #30
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Ring

Townsend really wasn't right for the part of Aragorn after all. Viggo had less than a day to decide to take the part or not, lucky for us he did.<BR>Celeborn didn't sound like a wise Elven Lord, he sounded spaced out.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:18 AM   #31
Rayne

Silmaril

To all the ladies out there: is it just me or is Orlando Bloom just hot-on-a-stick? Damn!<BR>Anyway, I was disappointed because we didn't get to see Legolas and Gimli all that much. They were supposed to get this big friendship thing going but they hardly said anything!<BR>I thought Viggo did an outstanding job at playing the tall, dark and mysterious Strider. And I absolutely adored Pippin.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:53 AM   #32
Nenya
Wight

Sting

Btw, has anyone else wondered why Martin Csocas/Celeborn (I'm sure that's not spelled right) gets far more publicity than he deserves? I'm not saying that Celeborn isn't an significant character, but c'mon, the guy has only one line in the movie! (And even that is bad...) I mean for example Butterbur&Haldir have more lines than him and I don't see their names in the Official Movie Books, or in anywhere else for that matter.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:15 PM   #33
ainalondwen

Pipe

I have to say, I think they have all done well, because the expectations of so many people is a lot to live up to.<P>I particularly thought Viggo was really good as Aragorn, he BECAME his character, and threw himself into the battle scenes. Roll on TTT!<P>Billy Boyd shone as Pip, he was totally the comic relief in the film!<P>But of course, I loved Orlando's portrayal of Legolas, and having good looks helped him out a lot!! I feel he looked liked the 'fair' elf Tolkien described. <P>HOW CAN WE WAIT UNTIL DECEMBER?!?!
Old 01-25-2002, 05:42 PM   #34
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Ainalondwen and Rayne, welcome. <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>LOTR Moment (III) (Second Breakfast)<BR>Pippin stops to cook<BR>Aragorn says there's no time<BR>Apple hits a head.<P>Copyright 2002 S. Uffelman <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 02:36 AM   #35
Azure

Silmaril

Hey Rayne!! Totally agree wit U! Orlando Bloom is oh-so-cute! ...lol....yeah, finally started on da first one....be proud of me! I now have an Xtra day to read, yay!
Old 01-26-2002, 03:10 AM   #36
bryniana
Pile O'Bones

bryniana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ok, saw the movie again today...<BR>Now, I don't understand why no one likes Hugo Weaving. I thought he did an excellent job. He looked every bit the part and he delivered his lines, imo, as an elven lord should. Do people not like him because of their own idea of how Elrond should be, or because of something else? (and don't even bring the whole Agent Smith thing into play)
bryniana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 03:24 AM   #37
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rayne:<BR>Anyway, I was disappointed because we didn't get to see Legolas and Gimli all that much. They were supposed to get this big friendship thing going but they hardly said anything!QUOTE]<P>They had to cut it so the movie would hover around 3 hours. Look for it in the Director's cut though. Rumor has it an extra 40 minutes will be spliced back in.<P>Bryn: I think you're right, Hugo Weaving was very different than what people imagined. When my non-Tolkien friends cited Boromir and Elrond as their favorite characters, I realized what a good job he did.<p>[ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 01-26-2002, 05:10 AM   #38
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by bryniana:<BR><STRONG>Ok, saw the movie again today...<BR>Now, I don't understand why no one likes Hugo Weaving. I thought he did an excellent job. He looked every bit the part and he delivered his lines, imo, as an elven lord should. Do people not like him because of their own idea of how Elrond should be, or because of something else? (and don't even bring the whole Agent Smith thing into play)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Some of us liked Hugo Weaving in the part! He was an excellent Elrond
Old 01-26-2002, 06:14 AM   #39
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yep, Elrond was great I wasn't too sure the first time, but it all made sense on a second viewing.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:39 AM   #40
shieldmaiden
Wight

shieldmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Haldir's nose was too big! He was ugly!!!<BR>Legolas' eyebrows didn't mach his hair colour! All elves had too high cheekbones. Frodo's head was too big in close ups!