The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2002, 08:20 PM   #41
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Well, actually I got to meet Richard Gere once. That was pre-Pretty Woman, post-American Gigalo. It was at a hearing on human rights abuses in Tibet in DC. Genuinely nice guy - earnest. Chatty. Very Buddhist. Said he hated the cameras following him, so he just took them to the real stories.<P>My friends were ga-ga, but one or two played it off pretty well. I was pretty level-headed, but that was because I'd never heard of him. I finally asked: "I'm sorry - what were you in? I know your name, but I just can't.." He found that a little discouraging. His career was in a slump at the time. When Pretty Woman came out and was hit, I was personally thrilled for him. No more people like me wondering who he was.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:03 PM   #42
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
<I>Only</I> Maril could make Richard Gere cry! There is no other that compares! Congrats on your personal title, by the way, it's very you...<BR>To try and marginally get on subject here, has anyone read the <I>Rolling Stone</I> interview with Elijah Wood? It's in the one with Shakira on the cover. In the course of the interview, Elijah discloses that while shooting the movies, Viggo Mortensen became totally obsessed with a certain word which I will not even attempt to hint at here, for fear that the Barrow-Wight will slap a scarlet "A" on my chest, and ban me for all eternity...It's very funny!!!
Old 04-06-2002, 10:17 PM   #43
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Why Thank you, Lush! I am impressed with the unique brilliance of your title, and I must say it suits you well.<P>Actually, my title was going to be "Eerie Spectre of the Old Forest" but the BW requested brevity please, Maril?<P><I>Must</I> read that article. Both Elijah and Viggo seem to be ve-ry interesting characters. Let us not be hasty, but I think I rather like them both.<P> Maril
Old 04-06-2002, 10:29 PM   #44
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

While we're congratulating each other, let me say that my personal title (which, by the way, took some time to create, since my initial choices were not "dark" enough, though they were funny, right Barrow-Wight?)was taken from Tolkien's description of Aragorn's first impression of Éowyn: "...and thought her fair, fair and cold, like a morning of pale spring..." Yeah, that's me!<BR>As for the article, do check it out. You find out some very interesting things about Elijah (he comes off as both scary and touching), and Viggo's verbal preferences!
Old 04-06-2002, 10:46 PM   #45
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Sigh...I'm looking forward to getting my own title (already trying to think of some ). I read the RS article online actually, in a (comparatively) rare moment of looking up celebrity info online [blush]. It was pretty good, and rather funny in parts. Certainly he sounded about as normal as someone could who had grown up those circumstances. Though I'll admit to being slightly amused by the passage about how when he was two he locked his mother out of the kitchen and proceeded to throw everything around, and the heavy-breathing Dark Implications the writer made by saying "They say he knew exactly what he was doing." Come on, when I was three years old I locked my mother out of the house (accidentally, but still) and (I am told) wouldn't let her back in, thinking with perverse three-year-old logic that it was funny. A belief that I quickly got over, BTW, once she called the fire department to let her in. All it means is that I was a regular toddler brat, not some sort of fascinating, vaguely Satanic being in embryo. And anyway, what little kid doesn't like playing with the pots in the kitchen? I think they went a tad overboard on that one.
Old 04-07-2002, 07:42 AM   #46
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read the Rolling Stone article. It was quite interesting. And that word, tsk tsk! It's really funny though. Did you read about the fountain part? That was bad of them. *tsk tsk* bad hobbits!
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 01:50 PM   #47
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I want to read that article also.
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 03:15 PM   #48
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here's the addy: <A HREF="http://www.rollingstone.com/mv_news/newsarticle.asp?nid=15574" TARGET=_blank>The Secret Life of Elijah Woods</A><P>Frankly, I found the whole thing kind of eye-rolling, (Shoot, I was doing that kind of stuff when Eli was still playing with his Wacky-Packs), but if I'd been working 6-day/12-16 hour weeks, I would have probably found ANYTHING funny!
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 08:50 PM   #49
Lush
Fair and Cold

1420!

Speaking of meeting famous people (and this is NO APRIL FOOL'S JOKE NOW) I met Bruce from the Beach Boys tonight, backstage at the show here in Charlotte.<BR>My aunt's boyfriend is, apparently pretty goods friends with him (he is in California a lot) and they got us backstage passes. <BR>I didn't recognize any of the Beach Boys!<BR>This sweet older guy in a baseball cap came over to me, while I was sitting on the couch, sipping my beer, trying to button up my shirt the right way, and said, "get off your butt and go get some food in there."<BR>I said, "got more beer?"<BR>He said, "yes, babe."<BR>I said, "thank you, sweetie."<BR>I went in, got my beer, checked myself out in the mirror, almost tripped over the person who turned out to be the drummer, and went back to sit on the couch. <BR>Then the sweet older man crouched in front of me and said, "Honey, you are so lucky, you have your whole life ahead of you. You're going to have so much fun."<BR>I beamed. I though, here is this sweet little old guy, and he's being so nice!<BR>Then my aunt's boyfriend walked by and said, "oh, were you just talking to Bruce? He's one of the founding members of the Beach Boys!"<BR>Needless to say, I barely missed spilling my beer all over myself!!! How very <I>cool</I> of me...NOT!!!<BR>Guess I should refine the celebrity-meeting technique.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:47 AM   #50
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Actually, I recognized the quote describing Eowyn.. what was the rest of it? Off the top of my head it went "..like a lily in the first bloom of spring, caught untimely by frost..." no, that's not it. Anyways, I thought it brilliant and original to pull a "dead" quote out of such an unexpected place. Take a bow. <P>Now to read that article, thank you, Elijah seems both intelligent and refreshingly normal from what I've read of him in the (recent) past.<BR>********<BR>Okay, just read it. Kid's too smart for words. Having finished an idealistic fantasy adventure epic that will imprint that role on everyone's minds for the next three years at least, he's already cultivating and broadcasting 'hip' 'modern' 'dark.' Playing up the music geek angle for the Rolling Stone. Sounds like he has a good agent. <P>The RS seems tobe cynically hunting for the ways this young guy will crash and burn in his success, trying to predict the manner of it.<P><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Difficult relationship with your father, eh?<BR><LI>Going overboard with the women yet? No?<BR><LI>Not much of a party boy, eh? Only vice is clove cigarettes, okay, you'll miss <I>that</I> ride.<BR><LI>Limited high school social experience.. hmmm.<BR><LI>Cutting the ties with Mamma just when the fame really hits, eh?<BR><LI>So you gloss over the darkness by being open but distant, eh? Don't like to look too closely, don't like to bring it into the light even in your performances? <P>Aha. Gotcha.</UL><P>RS guy smiles smugly to himself: this is gonna be spectacular. Only his Mom to keep his feet on the ground (and that's going by the wayside), the social whirl is new, and he doesn't like to look at the worst in himself, not enough to keep it in check...<p>[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 04-08-2002, 08:11 AM   #51
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

oh yeah lush,u got it soooooo bad!come on,ure aunts boyfriend is m8s with a member of the beach boys?oh wot a terrible life!i live in macclesfield and go to school in manchester.there is a constant war between the moshas and the scallies that is <BR>a.sometimes very funny <BR>b.rather gruesome(someone in my siss class was nearly killed last year outside a slipknot concert by three scalls with knives!)<BR>c.something that no celeb in their right mind would want to get involved in!<BR> <BR>sorry for ne1 who lives in manchester and thinks its great.im happy 4 u.really.just when ure sis is involved,u kinda notice<BR>for crying out loud most of u live in america-u know land of the free home of the great aka CELEBS!i live in england.yay.<P>that was a really cool article actually,but the interviewer was kinda pickin on lij,especially when it came to his dad,and his old girlfriend,really pushy like.not really fair, the guy is only 21....<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I've gained an appreciation of the word c*nt," he explains. "Negative words - the best thing is to diffuse them by using and taking the meaning away. C*nt! C*nt! It's a great, great word. Very forceful <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>ah,u learn something new and not entirely pleasant every day....<BR>lol<BR>amy
Old 04-08-2002, 10:02 AM   #52
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Now-Now, Amanaduial. I hadn't noticed that the U.K. didn't have it's share of celebs.<P>And believe me, if the don't show up in Manchester, then they definitely don't show up in my old stomping grounds of Franklinton, (affectionately known as The Bottoms.) <P>Oh, Wait, Prez Clinton did visit one of our crumbling public schools to "tsk-tsk" over the po' children - but he definitely didn't spend the night!<P>One day you'll probably meet a celeb. It will be an interesting story, but not exactly life-changing.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:17 PM   #53
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

deep birdland deep. The Bottoms?hmmmm, dare i ask how that came about....?i do wanna meet sum1 famous...especially if it was lij wood...mmmmm.....<BR>it wud be cool to live in america tho...hollywood....beverly hills....pennieless lush to talk to....i spose its a sort of The Grass Is Always Greener On The Other Side thing tho....
Old 04-09-2002, 12:33 PM   #54
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I'd kill to live out of the US. I love England and Europe more history and pretty buildings. I defently think it is grass-is-always-greener-on-ther-other-side-sindrom
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Old 04-09-2002, 12:56 PM   #55
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I SAW, but didn't meet Karen Allen at Disneyland when the Indiana Jones Ride was just about to open. Said "HI Karen" and she waved.<P>My Husband works at a TV station so he is occasionally meeting famous people. He's met Alex Trevek, Lilly Tomlin,Angelina Jolie, and some really big wrestler who's name escapes me just now. (He had a movie where he played a nanny) He was a really BIG DUDE! My husband is 6'2" and this guy just dwarfed him!
Old 04-09-2002, 02:31 PM   #56
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

ooh ooh ooh, i saw david beckham 2day!!!!!yay!!!this will mean nothing to those if u who dont live in england/dont support manchester united,but i do both those!i was just sitting,being a complete bill on my bus,when i look out the window and there he is in the service station,filling up his porsch,if u plz!so i can say i hav seen a celeb....he didnt reaspond,but i saw him!<P>my sis also saw prince naseem at alton towers once,for wrestling fans out there.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:45 PM   #57
Lush
Fair and Cold

Pipe

Concerning the <I>Rolling Stone</I> interview with Elijah: while the content was great (and the tidbit on Viggo really brightened my day), the writer himself appeared to be lacking, as many of you have said. <BR>No surprise there! This is the same magazine whose esteemed writers try to make Britney Spears seem like the Mona Lisa of the new millennium (hah), work overtime to keep record labels happy, and are slowly degenetaring to the Neanderthal-like status of the scribes (if you can even call them that) at <I>The National Enquirer</I>. Bleh.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:05 PM   #58
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>ooh ooh ooh, i saw david beckham...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>OK, that counts. One celeb for Amanaduial. <P>Now if you'd only gotten the keys to his Porsche, that would REALLY count. <P>BTW - Tolkien LOVED Manchester United, so it counts as On-Topic, too.)
Old 04-11-2002, 11:13 AM   #59
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

sorry, im probably being a bit thick here, but what does BTW stand 4? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Tolkien LOVED Manchester United <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>cool!all the best ppl do!(are u sure...?)i went to the match last night!GO SCHOLSKAR!(or however u spell it...)<BR>BTW(wotever that is)sorry 4 going a bit off topicbut this is quite an abstract topic neway!ooh,dont delete it tho, it brightens my lil life!(i am actually serious!)<BR>birdland, uve seen prez clinton?cool.<BR>wouldnt it be great if u cud meet one of the actual characters of lotr?ooh, out of interest, who wud every1 meet?!<BR>lol <BR>me
Old 04-11-2002, 11:20 AM   #60
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

btw - By the way.<P>The player you were thinking of was Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.<P>Hope that helps
Old 04-11-2002, 01:44 PM   #61
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

ta Stephanos, yeah i knew it was ole gunnar, just couldnt speel his surname,which unfortunatly thebit i was tryng to spell. *sigh*typical or wot!<BR>lol<BR>me
Old 04-11-2002, 02:26 PM   #62
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

The only fameous people I've met are goverment officlas like senators and govoners...
Old 04-11-2002, 02:54 PM   #63
dragongirlG
Wight

Sting

A representative from my state in the US House of Representatives came to my house once to advertise himself...I think it was him anyway<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The Royal Shakespeare Company stopped by in February<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Really? Wow. It stopped by in my city too, and my Spanish class and I planned a trip to go see it perform Don Quixote, but the trip was canceled due to September 11th. That sucked.<p>[ April 11, 2002: Message edited by: dragongirlG ]
Old 04-11-2002, 02:56 PM   #64
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The only fameous people I've met are goverment officlas like senators and govoners... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>hmmm.araen, dare i ask y?<BR>lol
Old 04-11-2002, 06:47 PM   #65
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I won second place in and State wide art contest and got to meet the Govener ran into a few other people on the way. I also met a govoner when I was at the beach. I was like 3 so I don't rember much.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:36 PM   #66
dragongirlG
Wight

Sting

I got an invitation to my state's House of Representatives because I was spelling bee finalist, but I didn't go. Waste of time for me.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:19 PM   #67
Lush
Fair and Cold

Pipe

I want to meet <I>writers</I>. Much more interesting than most actors. I want to meet Wally Lamb, Kate Atkinson, and...J.R.R. Tolkien. Heh. <BR>Though Viggo is an artist, so he is probably not entirely soul-less. Not by a long shot, I hope.
Old 04-13-2002, 01:38 AM   #68
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Well, I've met the Dalai Lama a couple of times...
Old 04-13-2002, 04:40 AM   #69
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Well, I've met the Dalai Lama a couple of times<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>really?!wow!now that would be cool!<P>writers wise, ive met Michael Morpurgo, David Horner, Paula Danziger and Jacqueline Wilson (they all came to my junior school at seperate times.)id luv 2 meet tolkien(but thats not really an option), Phillip Pullman and Dianna Wyne Jones.<BR>lol<BR>me
Old 04-25-2002, 12:58 PM   #70
NinjaFerret
Animated Skeleton

NinjaFerret has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NinjaFerret
Sting

One time I saw Penn from Penn and Teller eating outside at this cafe... There were all these really dressed up people standing there, and I had just finished a very sweaty and intense fencing practice, so I didn't hang around... <P>In response to Kalimac's April 6 post, one time my mom was changing my bro's diaper, adn he started to go. I thought this was hialrious, and I couldn't stop laughing (I was about 3 at the time). She was holding him so he wouldn't pee on her or anything but the floor, and yelling at me to go get a diaper or something. I don't remember. I just remember laughing so hard I couldn't walk, and kind of crawling and collapsing hysterically two feet from the door. It was so funny to me at the time. It foreshadowed a bad habit of laughing at all the wrong thigns at all the wrong times... <P>But hey. It's all good. <P>May your luck exceed the stench of your oxters.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:32 PM   #71
Kyela_Frodo
Pile O'Bones

Kyela_Frodo has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

good for you! but...eh... late-night run to the grocery store for some Guinness, fake I.D. in hand?? well well...
Kyela_Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 02:23 PM   #72
Lush
Fair and Cold

That's what happens when you're young and Russian. <P>...Oh, no, did you believe me?<P>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!<P>Well, the part about beer is certainly true....<p>[ April 25, 2002: Message edited by: Lush ]