The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-30-2002, 04:59 AM   #41
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took
Haunting Spirit

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but YAY! I AM A WIGHT!!
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 08:33 AM   #42
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I guess what annoyed me most was the transition from Gandalf's line in the book, "Keep it secret, and keep it safe!" to the movie, "Is it secret? Is it safe?" <BR>I know it's just changing some punctuation, but the first is the book Gandalf: very much in control, a little comanding, authoritative; but, in this one line, Gandalf is changed into something much weaker, which shouldn't happen until he talks with the mouth of sauron. Yes, I know they're trying to make his comeback more dramatic, but still... it gets on my nerves to see Gandalf somewhat belittled, if only for a second or two of a three-hour movie (Ian McKellen was great, it's the script I had a problem with).
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 01:18 PM   #43
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

They workied to hard trying to make the movie funny: LEAVE IT BE! if it ain't broke don't fix it. 'Let's hunt some orc': urghle i almsot threw up.<BR>'If you him, come adn claim him':I started cracking up...but i don't think that was sposed to b funny...<BR>'nobody tosses a dwarf': hahahaha. i dont generally make jokes when im about to die & am trying to uphold my dignity at the same time, but maybe thats just me <P>but other then that, it was th ebest mmovie of alll time
Old 05-30-2002, 05:42 PM   #44
cookie_crazy
Haunting Spirit

cookie_crazy has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I do admit that some were quite annoying but on ting is that no combined weight of a man and a hobbit could have ipped that giant stone piece of bridge. Peter Jackson should have rewritten this movie several more times
Old 05-31-2002, 01:47 PM   #45
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Saxony Tarn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saxony Tarn
1420!

WHAT -- ??!!<BR>"A Ranger caught off his guard?" was one of the funniest comic-relief lines in that whole flick! i have been known to spout that if they wrote Arwen's role that way JUST TO USE THAT LINE i say heartily "more power to 'em" - - - and i can't wait to see what lines they hand Eowyn later on...<P>"8 there are yet 9 there were" though, i am in utter agreement on -- how does the author of that one fanfic "review by Glorfindel & Bombadil" put it, "Celeborn tries so hard to look like he wears the trousers in this one and fails miserably" ?? (doubly sad as it's the only line he gets. Take 459 on that one, please)<P>s.t.<BR>|_|) <-- it comes in pints, and this one's for you, Pippin!
Old 05-31-2002, 02:19 PM   #46
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Yes: The last line by Aragorn was... errr... how do I put this delicately...BAD. LOL.<P>It was all good until that point. Except the Wizard's dual...that was a bit lacking. It would have been more amusing if...well: it would have been a lot better if they used actual fighting instead of throwing each other around...fire of some sort, etc. (Hey! Gandalf is keeper of that ring, after all!) Haha...I was joking with a friend: it would have been better with machetes than how it was. But: that was another part I didn't really like.<P>Aragorn was, in general, a bit too... American in the movie. Just the lines he had. I don't mind that Viggo HAD an American accent, I just wanted the character to be more...oh...Rangerly, I guess.<P>Maybe he'll be better in TTT (Oh! BTW: If any of you have the stomach for MTV: they're doing a little "Behind the Scenes" 5 minute pre-recorded thing on TTT during the "MTV Movie Awards" on Thursday. The show starts at 9:00 p.m. and LotR is up for about...6 or 7 awards (there are only about 11 awards, really...maybe 13)).
Old 07-04-2023, 10:19 PM   #47
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe Annoying Movie Lines

Annoying movie lines? As the dears and decades roll on, more and more things annoy me about the PJ fanfics. it is generally with the overall screenplay, and I have to laugh when I see PJ movie LotR lovers being so crit on Rings of Power. Anyway, the three movie lines that still bug me the most:
  • "A Ranger caught off his guard?"
  • "Let's hunt some orc."
  • "Go home Sam."

I could go on and on about these movies...
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 02:37 AM   #48
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"A chance for Faramir, captain of Gondor, to show his quality."

[Immediately kidnaps the Ringbearer, drags him halfway to Minas Tirith, drops him in the middle of a siege and puts him directly in front of a Nazgul]

No, Faramir! Bad! That's not what that line is supposed to mean.

After all these years, my overall view of the Movies is pretty much unchanged: while I enjoy nitpicking all of them, FotR was actually incredible, RotK was at least a visual feast, and TTT was an utter shambles that smashed plot and sanity to pieces every time it got near a battle sequence.

hS
Old 07-05-2023, 10:55 AM   #49
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The whinging Elrond portrayal in the films capped by the peevish, "Our list of allies growns thin."

So many stomach-churning misportrayals in Jackson's debacles, but one would think that a being such as Elrond, who at this point in ME history is roughly 6,437 years old, would have better control of his emotions.

Then, of course, there is Elrond's equally miserable "Arwen is dying" nonsense.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:59 AM   #50
Alassë Estel
Wight

Alassë Estel has just left Hobbiton.
The line that irritates me the most occurs after The Battle of Pelenor Fields, when The King of The Dead, and the army of The Dead, have assembled to be freed from their living death and for their oaths to be held fulfilled.

The King of The Dead says: "Release us!"

Then Gimli says: "Bad idea! Very handy in a tight spot, these lads...despite the fact they're dead."

Which leaves us to assume that Gimli was suggesting that Aragorn should have gone back on his word and do precisely what got all those ghosts in that mess in the first place. Book-Gimli certainly would never have suggested such a thing.
John 3:16
Alassë Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 08:22 PM   #51
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Alasse, you picked a good (or bad) one. Gimli got stuck with a lot of bad lines. “Toss me” leaps to mind. Then there’s his burp in Edoras. I’m sure there are more. It seems that Jackson generally used Dwarves as comic relief. The Hobbit movies were even worse.
Old 09-21-2023, 07:51 AM   #52
Alassë Estel
Wight

Alassë Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, I quite agree.

While I give the Hobbit movies more credit than many, I find it rather appalling just how discourteous and oafish the Dwarves were portrayed to be.

I think, Tolkien's Dwarves are "less refined" in a way perhaps, as compared to other peoples, but not merely comedic relief.

At any rate, Jackson's Dwarves are certainly not what I picture when reading Thorin's final words, or of Gimli's great awe for Galadriel.
John 3:16
Alassë Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:08 AM   #53
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The script blunders within the first 60 seconds: "Nine rings were gifted <gag!> to the race of Men, who above all else desire power." Malarkey! Purest rubbish! Cliche replacing Tolkien's own rather subtle thought!

Tolkien said, on many occasions and in many ways, that what Men desire above all else is immortality. He described the basic theme of LR as "Death, and the quest for Deathlessness." The Nine Rings and the Nazgul themselves are tied up in that! (Not to mention Numenor, and the Dead of Dunharrow, and and and....)