The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-17-2003, 07:03 AM   #81
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Could someone possibly post a direct link to the pictures or somehow get them to me? the link is also available from onering.net, and is a direct link, but it doesnt work either.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:53 PM   #82
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<A HREF="http://lordoftherings.net/index_features_rotk.html" TARGET=_blank>Try this!</A><P>If that doesn't work, I don't think I can get a direct link, the pics don't have an adress all to their own. Try going to <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/" TARGET=_blank>theonering.net</A> and scroll down to May 16, it is the secomd one down. Hope that helps, they are really cool pics!
Old 05-17-2003, 04:22 PM   #83
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Hmmm...I'm not impressed by some of those picture captions. I mean, what's this?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Arwen (Liv Tyler) reluctantly agrees to join the Elves in their departure from Middle-earth <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
Old 05-18-2003, 05:41 AM   #84
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I still can't get to the pictures, and its really bugging me. Can anyone email me a file of the pics or something? I <B>really</B> want to see them.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:48 PM   #85
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<A HREF="http://lordoftherings.net/legend/gallery/images/rotk/image0.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Try This?</A><P>I will PM you too, so check your PM's.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:51 PM   #86
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

OMG!!! *huggles ever so madly* it works! all i have to do is change the number in the address and i can get them all! its just 25, right? so i just go up to typing image 25 or whatever and it should work...
Old 05-18-2003, 03:13 PM   #87
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Wow, those pictures are AMAZING!! I love the one with Sam holding the light. What is with that anyway? But still, thanks for the link. They were great.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 03:16 PM   #88
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

its the phial of Galadriel, and I spose Frodo is injured and Sam has taken it. I could be wrong.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:44 PM   #89
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

More spoilers, these snippets were gleamed from the Official LOTR Magazine's latest issue! What's in..what's out who will we see in the TTT: Extended Edition?! And what real life spider is Shelob based on?! Take a look! Either click <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/1053622751" TARGET=_blank>here.</A> or highlight below.<P>The two major changes in RotK are addition of TTT material and cutting of Scouring:<P>- Isengard sequence/VOS is at the beginning of RotK.<P>- Minas Morgul, stairs of Cirith Ungol and Shelob's lair also in RotK<P>- "We don't have the Scouring of the Shire." (In case anyone was holding out hope ... )<P>- At this point, no Ghan-Buri-Ghan. Doubts this will be added in pickups.<P>- Otherwise it follows the book "reasonably well."<P>Other stuff:<P>- Shelob will be "the creepiest and scariest of creatures." Based on the Tunnel Web spider of New Zealand. Photo above<P>- Mumakil and Nazgul will have center-stage appearances - more spectacular.<P>- Post-production should be completed and film "delivered" end of October, early November.<P>- Also of interest: "We only meet one new character, which is Denethor - and he's only new to those who don't check out The Two Towers extended cut in November!" Sounds like a comfirmation of the Faramir / Boromir / Denethor flashback. <P>He he he!
Old 05-22-2003, 02:49 PM   #90
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Oh God YEEEESSSSS!! Early Denethor!!!<P>And Ghan-Buri-Ghan is on the Imdb cast list... how come if he's struck out?
Old 05-22-2003, 02:58 PM   #91
Eruwen

Tolkien

You know, I never thought I would hear myself saying this, but, THANK YOU ARWEN!! No, really, thank you so much. I love spoilers and it is now making me soo excited about seeing the movie. And eewww, freaky spider to make Shelob after. I can now see how she is going to be the most feared and horrible Villain in this movie. Wow, look at those fangs! {Yeah, I noticed that, Saucepan. I just didn't feel like changing and hoped that no one else would notice. }<P> <p>[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Old 05-22-2003, 03:03 PM   #92
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

*screams and runs away*<P>Any chance of hiding that... I'm an arachnophobic
Old 05-22-2003, 04:54 PM   #93
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

That spider is exellent for Shelob. Sam is going to have his work cut out for him fighting a spider like that.<P>If PJ can pull off Shelob and Choices for Master Samwise that would make the movie for me.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:18 PM   #94
balrogman
Wight

balrogman has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

i cant wait till december! its only 208 days...dammit thats too long!
Old 05-22-2003, 06:44 PM   #95
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Shelob just has to be done well. She is possibly one of the most eagerly anticipated aspects of the film as far as I am concerned (and I'm arachnophobic too ). As I have said elsewhere, I am glad that she wasn't in TTT, because I see her as providing a tremendous curtain-raiser for RotK. Basing her on a funnel-web or a tarantula sounds good, although I expect her to be quite a bit more gruesome than the real thing.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Wow, look at those eyes! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Those ain't eyes. They be fangs! <P>Like Meela, I had heard that Ghan-Buri-Gahn was mentioned in the cast list, so I had expected to see him. It'll be a shame if the Druadan aren't in, but I suppose that they are one of the elements in the story that can be fairly easily dropped. <P>And Denethor in the TTT extended edition? I wonder how they will work him in. Perhaps a flashback for Faramir ...?
Old 05-22-2003, 06:50 PM   #96
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Also of interest: "We only meet one new character, which is Denethor - and he's only new to those who don't check out The Two Towers extended cut in November!" Sounds like a comfirmation of the Faramir / Boromir / Denethor flashback. <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>What!?!?!?!?!?!?! O My God that is so unfair. Damit. That means no Bregond, Ghan-Buri-Gahn, Imrahil, twins, Cirdian,Halbarad...ect. No. Those were some of my favorite charecters.
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 07:49 PM   #97
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Otherwise it follows the book "reasonably well."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well that's a good sign, or to me it is, even with some of the missing charaters. As long as ROTK follows the book more closely than TTT I will be pleased.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:38 AM   #98
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> quote:<BR>Also of interest: "We only meet one new character, which is Denethor - and he's only new to those who don't check out The Two Towers extended cut in November!" Sounds like a comfirmation of the Faramir / Boromir / Denethor flashback. <P>What!?!?!?!?!?!?! O My God that is so unfair. Damit. That means no Bregond, Ghan-Buri-Gahn, Imrahil, twins, Cirdian,Halbarad...ect. No. Those were some of my favorite charecters.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*shakes her head*<BR>The correct answer is YESSSS!!! Denethor!!
Old 05-23-2003, 07:39 AM   #99
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

*giggles insanely*
Old 05-23-2003, 08:39 AM   #100
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Regarding Beregond and Ghan-Buri-Ghan:<P>We seem to have some conflicts.<P><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1048189316" TARGET=_blank>Beregond</A><P>There is also <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/movie/cast.html" TARGET=_blank>this cast list.</A> Scroll to the bottom, though the link to the actor doesn't work.<P>I also swear I can remember someone at OneRing describing the shooting of the funeral pyre scene and had lines for Beregond, though I can't find that now.<P>Editted to add: <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/1052767382" TARGET=_blank>Found It</A> though it's a little dubious.<P>H.C.<p>[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 05-24-2003, 02:24 PM   #101
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Wonderful, high-res pics.<P><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/797" TARGET=_blank>Enjoy</A><P>I'm not sure how spoilerific they are though there is a shot of Aragorn at Eowyn's bedside and some great shots of Merry and Pippin in their respective armour.<P>H.C.<p>[ May 24, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 05-24-2003, 04:09 PM   #102
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I just looked at the high resolution pictures, they are very beautiful. Pippin in the armor of Gondor and Merry in the armor of Rohan! Can I just say amazing! All the details, especially the one of Aragorn and Andúril (but we still don't know how he gets it ).<BR>Everyone who doesn't care, take a look, they are amazing. Additionally they make great wallpapers for your computer (just changed mine)
Old 05-24-2003, 07:21 PM   #103
Eruwen

Tolkien

I love the one of Frodo entering Shelob's lair. I can just imagine...the heart-wrenching music in the background telling you something is about to happen...you hold onto the edge of your seat clutching the armrests tighly as Shelob is shown for the first time. Oh, I cannot wait! This is too much...oh, the agony! Thank you, HC!
Old 05-24-2003, 07:22 PM   #104
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Sting

Thanks for the pictures, HC. I love the shots of Merry and Pippin. <P>One point, though:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Faramir At The Pelennor <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Shurely shome mistake?
Old 05-24-2003, 07:58 PM   #105
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

He is attacked on Pellenor Fields before the actual battle.<P>H.C.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:23 PM   #106
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> He is attacked on Pellenor Fields before the actual battle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>True. But the words "At The Pelennor" suggested to me the Battle of Pelennor Fields. Then again, perhaps I should not read too much into the choice of words made by the people writing the captions for these pics ...
Old 05-25-2003, 07:53 AM   #107
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/6709" TARGET=_blank>The Crossroads</A><P>H.C.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:58 AM   #108
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

What are the crossroads and where do they feature?
Old 05-25-2003, 09:05 AM   #109
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

It should be very early in the movie. There's a road that runs east-west from Osgiliath to Minas Morgul and another that runs north-south through Ithilien (check the map). The crossroads are - well - at the crossroads. Their's a ruined and defaced statue of a Gondorian King there that Tolkien does a very effective job of painting with his words. It's pure atmosphere and not directly plot related, but it's nice to see it.<P>H.C.
Old 05-25-2003, 01:30 PM   #110
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> We only meet one new character, which is Denethor <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>When they say "one new character," they probably mean one new major character. It's almost impossible to not introduce any new characters at all. So, Beregond and Ghan-Buri-Ghan may still be in ROTK, but they probably won't have very many lines.
Old 05-25-2003, 02:09 PM   #111
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I have to agree. What about the Mouth of Sauron, the orcs that capture Frodo? These guys have to have some lines. There's no way Denethor is the only new character. He's just the only new major character which, for those that have read the book, is not a spoiler at all.<P>H.C.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:32 PM   #112
balrogman
Wight

Pipe

those are some sweet pics HC! thanks! i guess theyre pullin the whole gollum thing with shelob, wont show what it looks like until the movie is out...
Old 05-26-2003, 06:59 PM   #113
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Yup, they have to have one thing that they work hard to keep wrapped up.<P>With Fellowship it was the Balrog. With Two Towers it was Gollum. With RotK it's looking like Shelob. Considering how well the previous two came across, I'm taking this as a good sign.<P>H.C.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:56 PM   #114
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Shelob, The Battle of Pelennor Fields, and the Battle before Barad-dur are the three things that I'm most looking forward to in Return of the King. I also can't wait for the climax, when Gollum bites off Frodo's finger.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 09:04 PM   #115
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I also can't wait for the climax, when Gollum bites off Frodo's finger. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I've been imagining that part in my head for so long. I hope they keep this part true to the book. It's just such an signifigant part that I hope it is left the way it was ment to be.<P>I wonder if we will see any pictures of Frodo and Sam in Mordor before the movie comes out.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:28 PM   #116
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Aren't there a couple on the official Lord of the Rings website? I remember seeing at least one. Or perhaps that was the one of them in Minas Morgul or Cirith Ungol (the caption was slightly ambiguous).
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:52 PM   #117
balrogman
Wight

Pipe

yeah, most of the sam and frodo ones ar in cirith ungol and 1 or 2 are in minas morgul....
Old 05-29-2003, 11:18 AM   #118
Aratlithiel
Wight

Aratlithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!!<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>Q uestions that need answers!<P>OK - I've dealt with the changes from the book in the movies so far and have learned to live with them...although I do reserve the right to occassionally grumble over the loss of Frodo's backbone. Another subject - ANYWAY...<P>SO - the one scene in all of book that is most dear to my heart is Sam's confrontation with Shelob ('Now come, you filth!' Ooh - shivers) and his later rescue of Frodo in the Tower. I've spent admittedly WAY too much time going over the pictures available and studying them to try and assure myself that this scene will be faithful to the book and I am now truly worried. Please follow my train of thought here and assure me that I am, indeed wrong!!<P>1. If you look at this photo (bottom of page), Frodo has Sting in his hand and is still wearing his waistcoat and very obviously in Shelob's lair.<P><A HREF="http://www.kojiroabe.com/rotk/rotk01.html" TARGET=_blank>Frodo w/Phial</A><P>2. This photo shows Frodo without Sting (sheath is empty), his waistcoat or the Phial but covered in webs - however he still has the Ring (you can see the chain around his neck in the second link).<P><A HREF="http://www.warofthering.net/photos/return/imagepages/image14.htm" TARGET=_blank>Frodo Full-length</A><P><A HREF="http://www.warofthering.net/photos/return/imagepages/image14.htm" TARGET=_blank>Frodo Close-up</A><P>Now - this one that Gorwingel posted shows Frodo, no waistcoat, no Phial, presumably alone in a cave that I'm worried is NOT Shelob's lair.<P>(Sorry - I lost this link...you'll have to take my word for it.)<P>OK, here's where my nagging suspicions come in: If Frodo is wearing his waistcoat when the confrontation begins, when do you suppose he had time to remove it? Also, how does he still have the Ring around his neck AFTER he's covered in webs and awake? Book people know that Frodo is stung, appears to be dead, covered in webs, then Sam's scene and then Sam taking the Ring - so the entire time Frodo is covered in webs he should be unconscious and when he regains consciousness, he should be bereft of clothes and Ring and laying in the Tower. How can Frodo be covered in webs and AWAKE and still have the Ring? <P>Am I making sense?<P>This is leading me to believe that the fabulously written Shelob scene will be hacked unmercifully and that Frodo will not be stung or taken to the Tower by the orcs at all.<P>Can someone please, PLEASE lay my fears to rest?
Aratlithiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 11:58 AM   #119
Aratlithiel
Wight

Aratlithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ALTHOUGH -<P>I just found this <A HREF="http://www.quintessentialwebsites.com/lordoftherings/movieshots_rotk/adisplay_offl_rotkcards_withouttext.htm" TARGET=_blank>Quintissential</A><BR> <BR>Go about 3/4 of the way down the page - One of the captions says it's in Ithilien. Maybe these 'Shelob's Lair' pics aren't of that scene at all...?<P>Ack! I can't stand it!!
Aratlithiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 12:10 PM   #120
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Sorry Aratlithiel, I'm not following.<P>Chain of events: Frodo enters with sting, Ring, waistcoat (I'm assuming you're meaning the mithril vest) and vial. After hacking through webs for a bit he passes sting and the vial to Sam (shot of Frodo covered in webs without these items). Frodo still has the Ring at this point. Frodo is attacked by Shelob and poisoned. Sam fights off Shelob and goes to Frodo thinking he's dead. Sam takes the Ring and the Orcs take Frodo. Frodo loses the vest to the Orcs.<P>This is how it happens in the book and I don't see how the pictures are contradicting that. Seeing that one picture you are talking about might help my confusion.<P>Editted to add: Oops, now I see what you meant by waistcoat. You meant waistcoat . Two explanations: One, hacking through webs is tiring work and Frodo removes the waist coat before proceeding or two, the shot of Frodo with the phial is a publicity shot and not from the film.<P>H.C.<p>[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]