The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2002, 02:05 PM   #81
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Best: Definately the 2nd breakfast bit, I love the way it fits with the music.<BR>Worst:... yet to think of one<P>glad to see other ppl notice Aragorn,s not-quite-British accent at times, I thought it might have just been me.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:29 PM   #82
Eruialiwen
Haunting Spirit

Eruialiwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruialiwen
Eye

I've also noticed Aragon's sometimes-not-very-British accent myself, and Sam's as well (when Sam goes "What are you doing?? Those wraiths are still out there???" he has no Brit accent whatsoever -_-').
Old 10-11-2002, 09:19 AM   #83
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*in brit accent* Ahh Shutti. just kidding, just kidding but best for pip <BR>"ash on my tomato"<P>worst: ummmm "is he going to die" it sounds silly i dunno *shrug*
Old 10-12-2002, 09:59 AM   #84
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You're welcome Diamond18! I love Pippin too!!! Results 4 him are...<P>Best: The 2nd breakfast scene <P>Worst: That's nice! Ashes on my tomatoes. <P>Someone dropped me a little hint that we should do <B>Sam</B> next and that's fine with me! <P>Best:I made a promise Mr.Frodo, a promise. Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee, and I don't mean to, I don't mean to. (I cry when he says that line everytime I watch the movie!)<P>Worst: What are you doing!? Those Wraiths are still out there!
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 01:12 PM   #85
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Best: (I don't remember how this goes)....don't turn me into anything *gulp* unnatural.<P>Worst: What're you doing! The wraiths are still out there!
Old 10-12-2002, 02:15 PM   #86
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Best: Oh gosh...so many...but I guess I'll agree with you Firondoiel. "I made a promise, etc." (I know, lazy me )<P>Worst: I watched the movie twice in the last 24 hours...but I can't think of a bad line for Sam. So what if his accent wasn't perfect on the "Wraiths are still out there" line; I don't think that really matters.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:12 PM   #87
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'll start off by saying I don't think Sam had any bad lines. Just hearing him talk made me happy whether it had the right accent or not.<P>I agree that his best was his "I made a promise" line.<P>But I also liked:<P>"We did what Gandalf wanted didn't we? We got the ring this far and I thought,......"<P>"We may yet Frodo, we may."<P>"Don't turn me into anything unnatural."<P> There's tons more but I won't bother you with them.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:12 PM   #88
Eruialiwen
Haunting Spirit

Eye

Best Lines for Sam:<P> "I made a promise. 'Don't you leave him, Samwise Gamgee'. And I don't mean to. I don't mean to."<P> "Don't turn me into anything...unnatural."<P> "I haven't been dropping no eaves sir, honest!"<P> Worst Line for Sam:<P> can't think of one at the moment...LOL
Old 10-12-2002, 11:58 PM   #89
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
Sting

wow u guys just went rite ahead w/out getting my opinon 4 Pip! (oh well it's my fault for not checking this post often.... so now here's my account on pippen) <BR>bestest lines:: <BR>1) "Oh that's nice! Ash on my tomatoes!" (i don't care what u ppl say, that's the coolest line, and i use it often when i'm eating tomatoes)<BR>2)"Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission… quest… thing."<BR>3)Pip~ Are we lost? Merry~ No. Pip~ I think we are. Merry~ shhh Gandalf is thinking. Pip~ Merry Merry~ what? Pip~ i'm hungry.<BR>worstest lines:: c'mon hobbits don't say ne bad lines! <P>Samwise! <BR>bestest lines:: <BR>1) "I made a promise, Mr Frodo. A promise. Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee. And I don't mean to. I don't mean to."<BR>2) "I haven't dropped no eaves, sir, honest. I was just cutting the grass under the window there, if you follow me."<BR>3)"Did you hear that? Rivendell. We're going to see the elves!"<BR>4) "Now there's an eye opener and no mistake!"<BR>worstest line:: hey u already heard what i said about Pip's worstest lines!<P>sorry about there bein 4 bestest 4 sam, but i couldn't take ne of those away! <P>thx 4 taking my vote, J.Baggins
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 02:47 AM   #90
ElanorTheFair

Silmaril

Well I think sam has many great lines, but my favs. are pretty much the same as everyone else.<P>1) I love the whole promise scene with Frodo and Sam. <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> <BR> SAM<BR> Frodo! Mr. Frodo!<BR> FRODO<BR> No, Sam.<BR> FRODO<BR>Go back, Sam. I'm going toMordor alone!<BR> SAM<BR>Of course you are, and I'm coming with you!<BR> FRODO<BR> You can't swim! Sam!<BR> SAM<BR>I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. Don't you leave him, Samwise Gamgee, and I don't mean to. I don't mean to.<BR> FRODO<BR> Oh, Sam. Come on.<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That scene makes me cry every time.<BR>2) I also like the unnatural scene.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><BR> SAM<BR>I ain't been dropping no eaves, sir, honest, I was just cutting the grass outside the window, if you follow me.<BR> GANDALF<BR>A bit late for trimming the verge.<BR> SAM<BR> I heard raised voices.<BR> GANDALF<BR>What did you hear? Speak!<BR> SAM<BR>Nothing important. That is, I heard a good deal about a ring, and a dark lord, and something about the end of the world. Please don't hurt me, sir, don't turn me into anything <BR> unnatural.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm sorry about all the quotes everyone but I just love the whole movie.And i can't think of a worst line. i like all of them. SOrry this was so long, but i think you have to show them to do justice for the movie.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:03 AM   #91
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I love how Sam says "...somthing about the end of the world." It always makes me laugh.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:39 PM   #92
Elven Mistress
Wight

Elven Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I definatly agree with ElanorTheFair!!!! I LOVE those two scenes! I love how Sam says them with his accent and everything, even though he's american! I just love how he says them and i love the meaning behind them!!!
Old 10-13-2002, 01:39 PM   #93
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

My favourite Sam line is simply "Frodo, Mr Frodo!"<P>Or maybe "You've been in the Farmer Maggot's crop!"<P>The worst is when he jumps out at the Council of Elrond. He goes something like "Heay!" Which is pretty bad.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:41 PM   #94
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Oh, and another little thing....<P>MERRY! FOR GOD'S SAKE DO MERRY! He has the best line in the whole film, PLEASE can we do Merry next.<P>Go on.<P><BR>Merry?
Old 10-13-2002, 02:15 PM   #95
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

i agree. lets do merry.<P>go on.<P>you know you want to to.<P>Ok, ok, im sorry, ill stop buggin y'all.<P>merry now?
Old 10-13-2002, 02:36 PM   #96
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

Firondoiel only posts results about once a week, you guys. We've only been on Sam for a day. Patience?
Old 10-13-2002, 06:34 PM   #97
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Helkasir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam's Best:<BR>"Of course you are! AND I'M COMING WITH YOU!"<P>Sam's Worst:<BR>"If I take one more step, this is farthest from home, I'll have ever been."<P>Come on, it's a freakin cabbage patch. Come on.... one foot in front of the other...<P><BR>One thing that irks me here... who cares if the accent is british? After all, Tolkien created languages. They should all HAVE different accents.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:47 AM   #98
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thank god i made it in time 4 sam....phew...<BR>Best: 'somthinsomethin...Ill have u on shanks!'I think its only in the movie but still...Sams soo brave....
Old 10-14-2002, 01:49 AM   #99
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thank god i made it in time 4 sam....phew...<BR>Best: 'somthinsomethin...Ill have u on shanks!'I think its only in the movie but still...Sams soo brave.... <BR>Or...'Shelter! If this is shelter then one wall and no roof makes a house!<BR>I think it is impossible for samwise to have a worst line. The whole wraiths this is Sean Astins fault!
Old 10-14-2002, 09:13 AM   #100
Lady_Báin
Wight

Sting

i always thought it was "long shanks", oh well silly me <P>anyway<P>Best: "Something about the end of the world"<BR>that counts the "unnatural" bit<P>worst he really dosen't have one
Old 10-14-2002, 04:13 PM   #101
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I think it is "long shanks" but I could be wrong.<P>I bet Sam would have beat Aragorn up if it had turned to a fight. I mean, later on he beats up a huge spider so how hard could a stupid ranger be? <p>[ October 14, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 10-14-2002, 05:29 PM   #102
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Sam's in good view of a crouch shot.<P>It is "Long Shanks." They call him that in the books.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:44 PM   #103
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn's best line:<BR>"I can avoid being seen if I wanted, but to diappear entirly, that is a rare gift."<BR>Aragorn's worst line:<BR>"Where is the ring!"<P>I really don't understand why that line is there.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:11 PM   #104
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Sting

hmm.. I thought the disappear entirely was one of his WORST. 'twas a bit corny.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:25 PM   #105
Eruialiwen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

LOL, I forgot about that for Sam...<P><BR> "Of course you are. AND I'M COMING TOO!"<P> and<P> "somethingsomething or I'll have you, Longshanks!"
Old 10-18-2002, 04:24 AM   #106
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"I can avoid being seen if I wanted, but to diappear entirly, that is a rare gift."<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I liked that line. It was Aragorn in his element.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:36 AM   #107
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

I thought that was a good line too. Plus, "You have a stout heart little hobbit, but it will not save you. They are coming." (or something like that). He was saying it to Sam...see I'm not straying totally from the current topic!
Old 10-18-2002, 12:58 PM   #108
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I liked that line. It was Aragorn in his element. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I didn't like any of his lines in lord of the rings. The only good one was the "You have my sword" part. I think he really gets into his element in TTT.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:07 PM   #109
TealDude3
Wight

Sting

I think Gandalf's best line is more of an entire scene, but it was my favorite because it was actually in the book.<P>FRODO<BR>I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.<P>GANDALF<BR>So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All they have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to them. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the ring. I which case you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging though.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:42 PM   #110
Lady_Báin
Wight

Sting

Helkasir i see your point, i thought Aragorns part in fotr (the movie) to be sort of fumbly and uh... well weird. i didn't like his "character", how he had an amazing talent to say every line a bit off (in my mind). but you can't please everyone and i thought his performance was probably the best possible, if you catch my meaning. but i am positively bursting with anticipation for his (undoubtably) better performance in TTT. yay!!
Old 10-18-2002, 07:01 PM   #111
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay, for Gandalf, the absolute, completly BEST line (or several lines! ) was the whole speech about "Pity." <BR>"Pity? It was pity that stayed Biblo's hand! Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?" Man, that is WAY cool!<P>Worst line: "Keep it secret. Keep it safe." Cheesy. Very cheesy.

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 07:04 PM   #112
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Okay, I just noticed we're WAY on to other people now, sorry! (Slow? I'm not slow!) But those lines are STILL Mithrandir's best! Now to find my place in the thread!

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Old 10-18-2002, 07:23 PM   #113
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Okay! I'm back! (Tremble in fear!) I feel better seeing that I'm not the only one out there who randomly list's the wrong person's line! <BR>I think I will mention that ALL OF PIPPIN'S LINES ARE COOL!!! Heh heh. (And I am actually, NOT a Pip fan, like my twin!) Unfortunaly, my buddy Raz says that she thinks she found some info. once that said Tolkien didn't want tomatoes in ME. (Dunno why.) So that makes the line not okay. (Does anyone know anything else about that?) <BR>For Sam . . . uh . . . The whole "We did what Gandalf wanted didn't we?" is WAY bad!!! I mean, I know he want's to go back home, and everything, but that is so . . . Chicken!!!! <P>His best line is "Let him go, or we'll 'ave you long shanks!" lol!!! Here he bursts in with his fists up, and threatens Aragorn, who's twice as tall, with a sword! It's so funny!

Old 10-19-2002, 01:55 PM   #114
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

SARUMAN OF MANY COLORS<P>Best: "The power of Isengard is at your command, Sauron, Lord of the Earth."<P>Worst: "...but you have chosen the way of pain!"<P><BR>ARAGORN, SON OF ARATHORN<P>Best: "Be at peace, son of Gondor."<P><BR>SAMWISE GAMGEE<P>Best: "I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. 'Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee.' And I don't mean to. I don't mean to."
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 03:12 PM   #115
TealDude3
Wight

Sting

Borimir's Best Line:<BR>"It is a strange fate that we must suffer so much fear and doubt... over such a little thing."<P>The way he said it is just awesome.
Old 10-19-2002, 03:39 PM   #116
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> FRODO<BR>I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.<P>GANDALF<BR>So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All they have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to them. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the ring. I which case you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Aye, that certainly brings a lump to my throat: I find something so touching about the way the lines are delivered there. Acting at it's finest. Oh and yes, along with several of Aragorn's lines ("Be at peace..."). Whew. *bounces* Need to get that DVD out again...<P>but undeniably the WORST LINE in the entire film comes from Elrond, who otherwise, I quite like (he's cool, in my opinion):<P>"It must be cast back into the firey chasm from whence it came!" <P>NOO! No, no no no no!! That is just cheese at it's worst. That line is cheese with whiskers! Ewww! *laughs at own over-reaction*<P>I find there are very few truly bad lines, but we could be here all day, combing the script and posting all the best bits. *grins*<P>Roll on December.<p>[ October 19, 2002: Message edited by: Enedhil ]
Old 10-19-2002, 08:25 PM   #117
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Boromir's Best: All I want is the strength to protect my people!<BR>-Or-<BR>"I would call you my captain...bbalhab... and my king."<BR>-or- <BR>"One simply does not walk into mordor....etc."<P>Worst: I see no hope...<P>I thought boromir was pretty good.<P>Gandalf's best definitely the pity scene.<P>Gimli's best: No one TOSSES A DWARF!<P>or maybe <BR>"The is still one dwarf left in moria with fight in him."<P>Legolas' best: The"I can feel it" crap...<P>Worst: This is no MERE ranger.... he is Aragorn, Son of Arathorn, and your king.<P>YOU SUCK, LEGOLAS!
Old 10-20-2002, 12:53 AM   #118
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Just a general comment here -<P>Best lines - Most of them. The movie was so wonderfully done that even the lines that in a lesser film would have had me rolling my eyes ("But you have chosen the way of pain!") somehow became good. And Sam's American-ish accent didn't bother me too much. The character was so well played, and besides, he's got a bit of that comic servant aspect to him - aren't they supposed to have silly accents? (I'm American, in case anyone hadn't guessed).<P>Worst Line: "And now, perfected - my fighting Uruk-Hai!" Not because it's that bad in itself but because "Fighting Uruk-Hai" sounds WAY too much like the nickname for a college football team (Fighting Irish, anyone?). It's just a little disconcerting.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:36 AM   #119
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Most of the lines were a little down played, in my opinion. They were not as good as they could have been; sometimes it was the actor's fault. Ian did a really good job of avoiding it. As a movie, it doesn't match the likes of braveheart, which is filled with so many good lines that it's insane. That doesn't mean it was a bad movie by any means, though.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:43 AM   #120
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

Am I right in guessing that whoever started this thread is so gutted that no-one is playing to the rules that he/she has just quit?<P>We need the Sam results.<P>And anyway, the "chasm from whence it came" line is AWESOME! How dare you criticize a line of such mightiness?