The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2002, 06:07 PM   #1
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

AddictedtoRumil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril *TTT - Haldir (Craig Parker)*

Well i saw TTT today and i loved the movie but i was bummed when Haldir died that broke my heart he was a great character and very different i don't think it was fair that he died when he died no one really seemed affected by his death is anyone else bummed out about this??<BR>**************************************** ***<P>(Title edited)<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
Old 12-18-2002, 07:19 PM   #2
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

********************************************<BR>I bet no one will reply to this when i start a topic no one replys lol! <BR>********************************************
Old 12-18-2002, 07:34 PM   #3
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I replied!<P>I liked Haldir alot too. His death was quite sad I agree.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:38 PM   #4
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Thanks -Imrahil- you won a prize for being the first person to reply *A.t.R. fishes in her pocket for a prize and finds nothing, nada, zip, zilch* Oh wait you didn't sorry.<BR>
Old 12-18-2002, 07:39 PM   #5
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

Well for a second, I thought he was gonna get up and start chopping at all the orcs, like Boromir...I was like," NO! NOT AGAIN!"...Then he just died and I was happy, why was he at HD anyways?
Old 12-19-2002, 03:31 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Congratulations, AddictedtoRumil, for creating a thread on a character that I forgot! Hope you get lots of answers. (I edited the title to match the official threads. I didn't know the name of the actor, though, so if you find it, you can add it or let me know.)<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 12:57 PM   #7
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Well im glad he died his own falt for leading elves to h/d grr!
Old 12-19-2002, 01:32 PM   #8
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Nianna Telmnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nianna Telmnar
Sting

I for one think it was a very brave and noble act to take his men to Helm's Deep. He certainly didn't have to, and he probably knew most of them wouldn't make it back alive. Truly, it was not his battle but he chose to fight to honor and old aliance that had been all but forgotten. What chance would there be of men coming to the aid of elves if the situation had been switched?
Old 12-19-2002, 01:38 PM   #9
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

yes but the point is that it diddnt happen in the books and now i bet we wont get any of aragorns kin from the north comeing to war.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:54 PM   #10
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Though it was not played out the same way as in the book, I was deeply moved with the way the elves showed up, and then was moved even more that Haldir died after bring them. Maybe I am too emotional, but I cried. (at both scenes, what a baby!! )<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Airehiriel ]
Old 12-19-2002, 02:44 PM   #11
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Well i must say i was very disappointed with most of the replies how could you be happy that Haldir died in TTT? I'm not trying to be rude but don't even reply to the post if your happy he died i asked if anyone else was SADDENED by his death not HAPPY about it!! I know he is just a fictional character but i still think that was very cruel. <BR>********************************************<p >[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: AddictedtoRumil ]
Old 12-19-2002, 02:47 PM   #12
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

If anyone wanted to know Haldir was played by the actor Craig Parker Check out <A HREF="http://www.brandisdream.com/craigparker/craigparker.html" TARGET=_blank>this</A> site all about him.<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: AddictedtoRumil ]
Old 12-19-2002, 02:54 PM   #13
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

Bleh...I didn't mean that I was "happy" because he died, I was happy because they didn't pull a Boromir move and make him start killing all these orcs while he's dying. It just wouldn't work, make sense?
Old 12-19-2002, 03:05 PM   #14
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

I wasn't talking about you Coral i mean like what The Witch King posted.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:58 PM   #15
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Nianna Telmnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nianna Telmnar
Silmaril

as for it not being true to the book. many things were not quite true to the book in this movie.i don't think that his death takes away from the storyline. <P>...and you are not a baby airehiriel. i also cried when he died.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:15 PM   #16
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I was neither happy or saddened at his death. Now that I think about it, he had the only real "death scene" in the movie. I mean, I believe that Hama was killed by one of the Warg riders, but they didn't dwell on it.<P>So taking into consideration that Haldir's death was supposed to be our Departure of Boromir scene, it came up way short. Granted, the battle was too busy and Haldir's character wasn't explored enough to dwell on his death with the emotion of Boromir's. But one of the things this movie really missed compared to the first one was a truly heart-rending scene. Did they expect that this would be it?<P>I don't know if it's just me, but it left me feeling apathetic, even though I did like Haldir better in this movie than the last. Showing up at Helm's Deep was pretty nice of him, even if it wasn't from the book.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:48 AM   #17
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was sad (of course) about Haldir's death. From the movie it was clear that the elves were send to Helms Deep by Celeborn & Galadriel.<P>It <I>does</I> make sense in the context of the movie. In the books we are being <I>told</I>, at a much later stage that is (after the wars are won, in RotK), that the Elves of Lorien faught orcs from the mountains during the Ring-war - & that people of Lake Town & the dwarfs of The Lonely Mountain also was involved in the war. That's not gonna work in a movie - the audience have to see things happen. And though the days of the Elves in Middle Earth are over, how could they ignore the troubles of a place they lived in for many thousands of years? I think Elves at Helms Deep makes perfect sense. <P>Anyway, I always wondered where the h*ck the elves of Rivendell were during the war (exept from Elrond's sons)...
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 08:39 AM   #18
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Haldir died???? <BR>Sorry. I haven't seen the movie yet.<BR>I like him a lot! He look so graceful and he has a kingly charm about him. He was even more elvish than Legolas (from my point of view). And the voice! Don't you just love his voice? <P>sigh... why are all my favorite characters die? I mean, first Boromir and now Haldir. sheeesh. Talk about bad lack. Well, I guess its for the good of the movie. But still...
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Finiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 08:56 AM   #19
Thingol1000
Animated Skeleton

Thingol1000 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was always struck by the poingency of the elves dying. They did not have to be there, but they helped becuase they did not want the Edain to burden this alone.<BR>So...its off to the Halls of Manwe they go.....<BR>They (the elves) treally did look quite regal. Anyone know the name of the weapon they used (the spear/sword thingy)
Thingol1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 10:27 AM   #20
Iarbariel
Pile O'Bones

Iarbariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iarbariel
Silmaril

I was like struck by lightning when Haldir died, I just thought "damn..not again!"..the same with Boromir.<BR>Oh yeah I really like his voice too :-) The reason I like Haldir is mentioned above..but compared to Legolas -wich I believe is the most perfect creature on the face of Middle Earth- he is more rough arund the egdes somehow. Wich I like ALOT!
Old 12-20-2002, 03:08 PM   #21
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved Haldir. Hated it to see the great elf die.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:27 PM   #22
Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood Send a message via AIM to Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood
Sting

I was very sad, but I use to not like Haldir for a reason I will not expain. I cried hard onto my friends shoulder making it soaking wet! Yeah I thought that he would do the same thing like Boromir! And when the orc stabbed him in the back AHHHHHH I cried harder *yells at the move screen* WHY DID YOU DO THAT!!!!????
Old 12-21-2002, 02:49 AM   #23
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I nearly cried when Haldir died. And each time I hear the song that plays during his death scene, my heart breaks in two.<P>In case anyone was wondering, this is my theory of why PJ had Haldir die:<BR>***In every book, the tragedy of a major character dying occurs, except for TTT. Helm's Deep was a major battle, and PJ wanted the audience to really feel the devastation of war. Perhaps watching the deaths of cameos would be sad, but definately not enough to allow one to really feel heartbreaking emotions. <BR>PJ could not kill off major characters like Aragorn, Legolas, or Gimli. No, they were too important. And Theoden could not be killed off yet. <BR>Perhaps add a whole new character to TTT and kill him off, but then again it wouldn't affect the Tolkien fans. Instead, it would make them happy, as they wouldn't like to see a new character in the first place. Besides, having a character in an hour of the movie before he dies might not even be sad enough. The only solution was to bring a character from FOTR.<BR>Unfortunately, that character was Haldir. Though he was only in 30 sec of the movie and 5 min of the extended version, he seemed likable enough and the audience had a year to think on him. Plus, Tolkien fans have read much more on him and would consider him more than a cameo. In conclusion, Haldir would be perfect to kill off, as he would surely set off all kinds of emotions.***<BR>That is my theory.<P>I really did appreciate Haldir's death scene. Unlike Boromir, he did not have a chance to keep fighting or exchange last words with Aragorn. Instead, PJ had him briefly watch the battle and others die while he himself was dying. I think that part really brings in the reality of war. I never really did like death speeches in movies, as they seem a bit corny. In a real life battle, a soldier does not often get his last words. And I think without the death speech or last words is what makes Haldir's death so tragic.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:03 AM   #24
Harmonica
Animated Skeleton

Harmonica has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh, Haldir! Haldir! That beautiful elf...
Old 12-21-2002, 12:11 PM   #25
Massharpoon
Pile O'Bones

Massharpoon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think Haldir was a great character in the book, but in the movie they did not build him up enough. <P>Anyone who sees the movies and does not read the books could not get all broken up about a dramatic death sequence containing an actor with so little screen time.<P>I want to stress that the comment is from a movie perspective.
Massharpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 12:16 PM   #26
Sithren
Pile O'Bones

Sithren has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sithren
Sting

*sounds desperate* it was terrible! he shouldn't have died!
Old 12-21-2002, 01:01 PM   #27
Merigrin
Pile O'Bones

Merigrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think with Haldir's death, it must of been pretty hard to do, because it must be weird for an elf to die, it must of been such an experience and flow of emotions, elves just dont do death. I loved the way that when Aragorn finally got to him and put his hand on his shoulder his head just fell back and his EYES during that scene, wow.<P>The awards for best Entrance goes to Shadowfax, and best Exit Haldir.

"Ai! ai!" wailed Legolas. "A balrog! A balrog is come!" FotR

"Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasent surprise!"? No, indeed! He said:"Get up, you tom-fool of a Took!" Pippin, TTT.
Merigrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 03:20 PM   #28
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Really? Shadowfax? It was a good entrance, but I prefer Aragorn's coming to the hall in Helm's Deep. *doors open and the king stumbles through* Wow... I liked that one.<BR>I cried when Haldir died. Both times- I've seen it twice already. I figured it's what happens when you show up in places you don't belong. *kidding...*<BR>Maybe you could call those swords scimitars?<BR>And I also cried when Frodo nearly killed Sam. It was a good parallel to where Frodo does the same to Gollum.
Old 12-21-2002, 03:37 PM   #29
Marillanna Sarnie
Pile O'Bones

Marillanna Sarnie has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Haldir's death was such a tragic scene! I was so sad when he looked around and sees the bodies of men and elves lying on the ground alongside orcs, the expression in his eyes just made me want to cry. Farewell noble elf!
Old 12-21-2002, 04:22 PM   #30
Novlamothien
Haunting Spirit

Novlamothien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was very happy when the elves came to HD, and almost cheered when I saw Halir. I was really sad when he died. Although I did not cry, I came close. <BR> I must agree that Shadowfax had a very dramatic entry, and Aragorn too. <P> Namarie
Old 12-21-2002, 04:34 PM   #31
Man-of-the-Wold
Wight

Man-of-the-Wold has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I think his death is simply 'cuz someone has to dies. In no way was it supposed to be all that momentous like Boromir.<P>Haldir dies to remind us that some of the good guys die, too, whereas its unclear about Hama.<P>Also, I think he's killed off, so that Aragorn and Legolas can lead his remaining contingent of archers, perhaps as a substitute for the Grey Company, for which the movie would have had hard time trying to explain about other rangers and all that, which goes unsaid in Film-FoTR.<P>I think the coming of that contingent makes sense. It shows that Middle-Earth elves are serious warriors, and that even if it takes some convincing of the Films' rather inexplicably pessimistic/skeptical Elrond by a telepathic Galadriel, they are still willing to help. <P>As others have pointed out, to otherwise convey information from Appendix I/II about the battles against Dol Guldor and the Easterlings that cross the Carnen would not really be possible, especially on top of trying to dramatize the whole Arwen Dilemma and what not, which is almost entirely Appendix-derived.<P>What I would have liked from Halmir is that in noting Elrond's decision to honor old alliances that he also described their arrival as a "Gift of the Lady"<P>All & all, I liked that element despite the obvious discrepency with the books.
The hoes unrecked in the fields were flung, __ and fallen ladders in the long grass lay __ of the lush orchards; every tree there turned __ its tangled head and eyed them secretly, __ and the ears listened of the nodding grasses; __ though noontide glowed on land and leaf, __ their limbs were chilled.
Man-of-the-Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 04:36 PM   #32
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I like your thinking Brinniel. It makes sense, at least to me. No doubt someone will pop up soon telling us exactly why it doesn't make sense but never mind.<P>Wasn't Haldir distracted because Aragorn shouted up to him? Maybe I'm getting mixed up.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:37 PM   #33
Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood Send a message via AIM to Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood
Sting

Oh yeah!!I remember when Aragorn was calling out to everyone to get back inside (i guess) Haldir was looking up and he was distracted!!
Old 12-23-2002, 12:06 AM   #34
Laialthriel
Animated Skeleton

Laialthriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It confused me at first when I saw the elves come to Helm's Deep, and I'm still not sure I really like it, but it was okay. I was so happy to see Haldir show up!! I love(ed) him. "The Dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark." brilliant line! I didn't cry, but I was so incredibly heart-broken when he died. It was all I could do to not stand up and scream at the orc who got the final blow. A very well done death scene, I must say. Very touching.<P><BR>ps. yes, I did think it was odd that he died after Aragorn distracted him. <P>~*Laialthriel*~<p>[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: Laialthriel ]
"Let us run with patience the race that is set before us." --Phil 3:14
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." --Gandalf the Gray
Laialthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 08:07 AM   #35
Aragost
Wight

Aragost has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragost
Sting

They shouldn't have brought elves to Helm's Deep nor killed Haldir.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:23 AM   #36
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

I shed a tear of two when Haldir was killed but i NEVER like seeing elves die so i was pretty saddenned...<BR>The elves weren't even supposed to be there at all and Haldir was not supposed to die..<BR>Sigh...the change of history...
Old 12-23-2002, 11:26 AM   #37
Pukel-Man
Haunting Spirit

Pukel-Man has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

How anyone could get upset over a character who had almost no screen time and no personality is beyond me. BTW was Haldir a Vulcan or an elf?
This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock!-Mayor Vaughn
Pukel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 11:46 AM   #38
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Well not everybody appreciated the character as much as some people do and that's ok pj should have gave Haldir a larger role in the movie.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:37 PM   #39
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

As I have mentioned in another thread, when I saw Haldir die, I screamed put sth like "what a crap".<BR>I wasn't moved at all by his death, because I was so angry that he showed up there with his bowmen. Why would an elf of Lorien just come there and say "here we are, ready to die, bla bla bla"<BR>This was really poor work. There could have been better ways to show craig parker in TTT. <BR>Of course, it was a sad scene, but it just didn't fit in there. Haldir shouldn't have come there, it didn't happen in the books. Actually I wanted to leave the theatre after Haldir died, because I was furious because of all the changes they made in the movie. <BR>Haldir, R.I.P, and leave us alone now. (my word in peter jacksons ear)

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 12:51 PM   #40
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

In the film, we couldn't be presented with the fighting in Lothlorien and Mirkwood. However, the director wanted the audience to know that Elves were still fighting against Sauron. It was logical enough to stick them in Helm's Deep and talk up the alliance between Men and Elves, that's all.<P>I really don't think its as big a deal as a lot of you are making out.