The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2002, 08:29 AM   #41
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Thank you, Lomelinde and Oandenel! Haldir is <I>not</I> that bad! He can't help his nose; I might as well say something about Merry's nose as well! Hmph.<BR>Who couldn't love this face?!<BR> <P>Oh, and your welcome, avarrogion. I was pretty sure that was Nenya. Wasn't positive, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks so.<P>[ May 27, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]<p>[ May 27, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 08:08 PM   #42
Lomelinde
Haunting Spirit

Lomelinde has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

This is totally off topic, but: Yaaaaaaay!!!!<P>
Old 05-27-2002, 10:13 PM   #43
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

Nevfeniel: Is that Haldir???<BR>His forehead looks so...fake!<BR>And he looks a teeny weeny bit fat but...he's Cool looking though.<BR>He looks so elf like...
Old 05-27-2002, 10:15 PM   #44
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

Shield

He reminds me of a friend i made when i went for Outward Bound.<BR>he looks like him!!<BR>only his hair was dark
Old 05-28-2002, 02:58 AM   #45
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

I heard that the dvd release somewhere end of this year will be featuring the gift giving part in Lorien and maybe we will get to see the Ring Galadriel was wearing!!
Old 05-28-2002, 05:23 AM   #46
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took
Haunting Spirit

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I liked the Galadriel scene. She looked very perilous and evil. <BR>I also heard that about the DVD. Now I need a Dvd palyer...
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 06:55 AM   #47
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I think that Cate Blanchet impersonates Galadriel superbly, and her voice in the opening narration is just perfect. Neither did I think that the visual effects in the scene where she is tempted by the ring, are overdone.But they shouldn`t have altered her voice so much there,IMO. <BR>What I missed most in Lothlorien are the scenes where Galadriel, by her kindness and understanding, overcomes Gimlis dislike for elves, and he and Legolas become friends, and the scene where Gimli asks for a strand of Galadriels hair as a parting gift. I feel sorry that Gimli is portrayed much less sympathetic in the film than in the book. Does anyone share my opinion?
Old 05-28-2002, 08:17 AM   #48
avarrogion
Wight

The Eye

Well i believe that Gimli would appear more in the TTT most likely the friendship with Legolas at Helm`s Deep....regarding sympathetic well there`s not much to be said as Gimli was not potrayed that much in the FOTR but i believe we will see the sympathetic side of him in TTT and ROTK!!<P>" Is it nice, my preciousss? Is it juicy? Is it scrumtiously crunchable?"<BR>Gollum <BR>
Old 05-28-2002, 08:49 AM   #49
Kettle of fish
Wight

Kettle of fish has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I also miss the gift giving, especially Gimli's part, which I think is the sweetest part of the book.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:39 AM   #50
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Silmaril

I'm SURE we saw Galadriel's ring in the beginning of the movie? remember the 3 freaky people with Galadriel in front and a glowing shiny thing on her finger? That was Nenya. Unless i was just hallucinating at the start of the movie...the 4 times i saw it.<P>I really wish they'd shown the gift giving in slightly more detail - it would only have taken a few minutes and would have contributed to the story. I liked the bit when Gimli asked for a lock of Galadriel's hair, i thought it showed how much his feelings had changed towards elves during his stay in Lorien.<P>On the subject of Lothlorien, i have to agree that Galadriel and the ring thing was a bit overdone. There wasn't any need for her to go green was there? She's like the ruler of Lorien and they don't go around having wee scary fits when they get offered a ring (whether it's THE ring or not). Also, her voice sounded like some kind of robot or machine type thing - and i don't think middle earth had advanced that far in technology! I think the book described it much better than the movie showed. Saying that, I though Cate Blanchett was really good as Galadriel, there were just too many special effects.<P>It's ok, i'm done now<P>By the way, concerning the Haldir thing, he does look a bit weird. Also, why is he in TTT?
Old 05-28-2002, 10:46 AM   #51
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I agree...the gifts were more than a little important. I was sad that I suppose we shall not see Sam plant his garden since she gave Sam no gift. As far as Gimli goes...what I find odd, or would if I hadn't read the book, is why does Gimli all the sudden love elves? I assume they are going to show SOME bonding between him and Legolas, but still...not the best for character development. Oh well, it can't all be perfect...hehe; at least not unless they had US make the movies. :P

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:24 AM   #52
Kettle of fish
Wight

Pipe

Yes, I too remember the ring being shown right at the begining of the film.
Old 05-29-2002, 07:49 AM   #53
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

Shield

The gift-giving part was the most wanted part because i wanted to see Gimli asking for a strand of hair from Galadriel.<P>I didn't really catch the rings in the beginning of the movie.<BR>Darn!
Old 05-29-2002, 09:37 AM   #54
avarrogion
Wight

The Eye

Just watch the movie again well the ring worn by Galadriel was shown at the begining of the movie....you`re rght *Varda* the ring was featured at the begining...thanx<BR> <BR>Myself i would like the gift giving part to be featured....
Old 05-29-2002, 11:23 AM   #55
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I didn't like the Galadriel scene from FOTR - she looked like J-Lo from a bad music video.<P>Nevfenniel - great pic of Haldir, who I thought was a very fine looking elf!
Old 05-29-2002, 09:52 PM   #56
Kettle of fish
Wight

Pipe

Haldir is not half so elf-looking as Legolas. Then again, even Galadriel is not as elf looking as Legolas.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:33 AM   #57
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

The gift scene will be included on the director's cut dvd of FotR, which comes out in november!! <P>*Mele*
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 09:40 PM   #58
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
Really? I wonder if that means Sam can make his garden and Gimli's character develops a bit more on the DVD version...lol. That would be nice.

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 08:01 AM   #59
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Here's a page that has a picture of Nenya. (well, it's an order form to order a reproduction of Nenya, but it looks the same)<BR><A HREF="http://www.noblecollection.com/catalog/product.cfm?id=NN9174&catid=17" TARGET=_blank>Nenya</A><BR> <BR>[ May 31, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]<p>[ June 01, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Old 06-01-2002, 03:04 PM   #60
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Okay, here's a better picture:<BR>