The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2001, 01:47 AM   #121
enep
The Ghastly Leprechaun

enep has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR>Heh heh</b><br><br> The last post to do with Elrond being a vampire was about the tenth. Then something struck, and the conversation somehow manipulated itself into abbev. of names. Search me <p>- <i>enep</i></p>
Old 02-11-2001, 09:11 PM   #122
The Dagda
Pile O'Bones

The Dagda has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Having studied Irish for two years, I find that I am more or less pronouncing words correctly on my re-reading of LOTR. There is a fair amount of Celtic (Keltik) influence on Tolkien's invented languages, as is widely known. <p></p>
The Dagda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2001, 10:39 PM   #123
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Ring

<BR><br><br> Gaelic you mean? I think Tolkien based the black language on it. If I recall he hated it and thought it uncooth. But you are probably right about being able to pronounce words better. <p>"It seems fate is not without a sense of irony."</p>
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2001, 12:55 AM   #124
Zoe
Wight

Zoe has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Durelen: Sindarin was based on Welsh, I'm pretty sure. <p></p>
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2001, 01:31 AM   #125
The Dagda
Pile O'Bones

Ring

<BR><br><br> Welsh and Irish are both Celtic languages and are quite similar, in terms of grammar and syntax. I understand that Prof. Tolkien said that he disliked &quot;Gaelic&quot;, but I cannot see how he found it harsh and uncouth. The fricitive consonants are softer than in, say, German, and the eclipses soften the sound even further. In comparison to Irish, many Irish speakers find English to be rather brash and lacking in subtlety. <br> <br> I recognise little Irish in the Black Speech, but more in Elvish. This of course could be by way of the Welsh influence on Tolkien. I also understand that Finnish may be an even greater influence on the Elvish.<br> <br> Nuair a bhí mé óg, bhí mé i mo chonaí i dTír na nÓg. Caithain aois níos mó a bheidh agam, agus fuair mé bás, beidh mé ansin arís, tá súil agam. <p></p>
Old 02-12-2001, 02:11 AM   #126
Zoe
Wight

Zoe has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Maybe instead of Gael, he was talking about Gaul. Didn't the Prof. not like French much? <p></p>
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2001, 06:22 AM   #127
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Ring

<BR><br><br> That also is true. I don't think it is Gual that I am thinking of. But I still persist that Tolkien used Finnish and Welsh for the basis of his Elvish languages. And I am almost positive about the Gaelic, I remember reading it somewhere, maybe I will have to go back through and try to find where I read it.<br> <br> Tir na Nog, that used to be a TV show in the US. <p>"It seems fate is not without a sense of irony."</p>
Old 02-12-2001, 08:05 AM   #128
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ring

<BR><br><br> <i> Letters</i> talks about this:<br> <br> Letter 144:<br> <br> <blockquote><i>Quote:</i></b><hr> &quot;Actually(Quenya)might be said to be composed on a Latin basis with two other(main)ingredients that happen to give me 'phonoaesthetic' pleasure:Finnish and Greek.&quot;<hr></blockquote><br> <br> Same letter:<br> <br> <blockquote><i>Quote:</i></b><hr> &quot;The living language of the Western Elves(Sindarin or Grey-elven)is the one usually met,especially in names.This is derived from an origin common to it and Quenya;but the changes have been deliberately devised to give it a linguistic character very like(though not identical with)British-Welsh.&quot;<hr></blockquote><br> <br> The Gaelic reference must be in there somewhere... <p>Those who will defend authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel. </p>
Old 02-12-2001, 12:55 PM   #129
The Dagda
Pile O'Bones

Ring

<BR><br><br> Tír na nÓg (Tír = country, Óg = young) is the &quot;Land of Youth&quot; in Irish. This refers to a mythical place where the Sidhe reside, and where death, disease and aging are not present. It is described as being beyond the confines of our world. There is the story of the man Oisín who was a member of the famed Fianna warriors, who was allowed to reside in Tír na nÓg, where he remained the same while centuries passed in the world at large.<br> <br> c = k reminds me of the old saying, &quot;mind your P's and Q's&quot;. This may refer to the time when the Brythonic and Goidelic (Gaelic) split into their respective branches from the Old Celtic language, and where the British (now Welsh) changed the Q (hard K sound) to the P sound, i.e. &quot;mac&quot;, son in Irish, becomes &quot;map&quot;, son in Welsh. (Incidently, &quot;welsh&quot; means foreigner or outsider in Anglo-Saxon, and Wales in the Welsh tounge is called Cymru).<br> <br> Do we see the same sort of developmental story with the Elvish languages? I'm supposing that the whole story of the Indo-European language group had more of an influence on Tolkien's languages of Middle Earth than any single language, though he obviously drew more from some than from others.<br> <br> Hmm, this is quite a digression from &quot;Elrond the Vampire&quot;... <p></p>
Old 02-12-2001, 01:03 PM   #130
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Ring

<BR><br><br> Oh, it is the actual Galeic name for those lands. I know a bit about Finn and Oisin, and some other Irish Mythology/Legends, but not in Gaelic. <p>It seems fate is not without a sense of irony.</p>
Old 10-14-2002, 11:50 AM   #131
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well how about it did Elrond look like a vampire?<P>and confess your mispronunciations<P>and let us kow how to abbreviate your name <P>and...<P>well for my only movie post I scored a record 4 pages. If only my 'serious' posts got as much attention <p>[ October 14, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 02:37 PM   #132
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

No, I do not think Elrond looked anything like a vampire, and I did not think Arwen was a pixievixen and I do not think that the movie was some awful terrible travisty (my word, those posts in January 2001 sure were pessimistic, weren't they?)<P>I pronounced Celeborn "Seleborn" the first time I read the book, but then I read the pronounciation guide and have no trouble now. In fact, when my mother read the book, I *made* her read it out loud to me (this was because she could not stay awake while reading it to herself. I would catch her sitting over it sleeping...tsk tsk tsk). Anyway, I sat there correcting her every time she misprounounced something. <P>And the only way you can abbreviate my name without incurring my wrath is to leave off the 18 and just call me Diamond.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:37 AM   #133
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hey, <BR>im probobly WAY behind but...<BR>I think it is Tol-key-en<BR>later