The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2008, 02:31 AM   #41
Maedhros_the_Tall
Haunting Spirit

Location: North East of England, currently at university in South West Scotland.
Maedhros_the_Tall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maedhros_the_Tall Send a message via Yahoo to Maedhros_the_Tall
For me, out of the names mentioned, McAvoy is the only person I think could potentially play Bilbo, and play him well. Jack Black? Don't make me laugh. Daniel Radcliffe? The pocket battleship that played the, supposedly, skinny and weak Harry Potter that badly!? Send him elsewhere. We don't need him mucking up the Hobbit as well, and the association with the kids in the cinema watching the film as well would be appalling.

Michael C. Hall I can't comment on though, I've never seen him in anything, to the best of my knowledge!
Old 06-08-2008, 04:34 AM   #42
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Having just seen Atonement, I can honestly say that James McAvoy is far too young looking to play the part. Certainly, make-up and/or prosthetics can be applied, but it seems to me that if The Hobbit production was to remain in keeping with the remainder of the LotR series, then an actor closer to Ian Holm's age and appearance (at the time of filming LotR) would be necessary.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:57 AM   #43
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush View Post
Or an unknown dude.
Thats always an option.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #44
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I wouldn't mind McAvoy as Bilbo, he looks hobbitish enough and I don't mind his acting. And if you don't like the age comparison for Bilbo and McAvoy, then might I remind you of Elijah Wood and Frodo (which was already stated, I know) But this is Hollywood, who would play Bilbo the best on their terms? That's what we need to think about...

But I also like the idea of somebody unknown for Bilbo, then people wouldn't think of the actor in another movie. That seems like one of the best choices.

~Just another one of my little posts that don't mean much,
TGEW
Old 06-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #45
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe

There are so many benefits to having an unknown guy, honestly. All you have to do is surround him with a strong supporting cast, and you're no longer worried about someone "carrying" the movie when it comes to image alone. Of course, the more unknown he is, the more conventionally hot he's going to be.