The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Revealing poll

theonering.net has a poll up right now which so far has just over 3,000 votes.

What 'tone' should the upcoming Hobbit films portray on screen?

Just like the book - it should get slightly darker and more serious toward the end
(39%, 1,181 Votes)
It should match the more adult tone of LOTR
(33%, 1,019 Votes)
Somewhere between the children's story of The Hobbit and the more adult LOTR
(23%, 716 Votes)
It should be darker and grittier than LOTR
(2%, 54 Votes)
It was meant to be a simple children's story, it should be a simple children's story
(1%, 41 Votes)
I thought it was going to be a musical comedy!
(1%, 40 Votes)

Any comments of the favorites of the fans so far?
I realize many here favored the "simple children's story" but so far its really getting murdered.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post

I realize many here favored the "simple children's story" but so far its really getting murdered.
So you've seen Boyen's first draft screenplay then? I half expected it to be honest - she certainly murdered LotR....
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

sorry - cannot say that I have.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm glad to see the greatest percentage think that it should be like the book - getting more serious towards the end. My vote would have gone in that direction.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Of course when you take the three together that want it darker than the book it totals 59%.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Of course when you take the three together that want it darker than the book it totals 59%.
Isn't that just like a pollster, to cause one of the camps to split their vote and thereby reduce its voice. Perhaps this will be enough to persuade PJ to produce three versions of TH--one for cinematic release, one for subsequent DVD release, and one finally for the extended YouTube release where viewers can c&p their own preferences.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I just hope that, unlike that old movie Jurassic Park, that the director/producer/writer picks some audience for a target and sticks with it. If we are to have a darker, more adult movie, then great. Or a more whimsical kid flick - that's okay too. But I hope that whomever doesn't try for both as to me that would, as you say, just murder the book.

"We'll have scary goblins that hunt the Dwarves...and then they'll all break out into a Disneyeque song and dance number!"

"Brilliant!"
Old 04-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #8
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
So you've seen Boyen's first draft screenplay then? I half expected it to be honest - she certainly murdered LotR....
Where would one find that? I'd be interested.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post

"We'll have scary goblins that hunt the Dwarves...and then they'll all break out into a Disneyeque song and dance number!"

"Brilliant!"
Or could go Monty Python and the Arkenstone "let us not go to Rivendell - it is a silly place!" - and Smaug could be repalced by a rabbit .....

Excuse me , I was disappointed to find this poll wasn't anything to do with if Gandalf the Grey should uncloak
after all statistics are usually like lamposts to drunks - more for support than illumination...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #10
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Just like the book - it should get slightly darker and more serious toward the end
(39%, 1,181 Votes)
It's not serious at the end. I was smiling when Gandalf Balin came to visit Bilbo at Bag-End.

I just hope that they put the Beornings in the movie. For some reason they always get left out of all the cartoon animations.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #11
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Oh my...the thought of what a creative parodic mind could do with a title like "Monty Python's 'There and Back Again - The Hobbit'". Instead of "Break the bowls and crack the plates...", you'd have...

Thorin: Just think chaps! We're about to begin the quest to reclaim...The Lonely Mountain!
Dori: The Lonely Mountain!
Bifur: The Lonely Mountain!
Dwalin: (Muttering) It's only a model...
Thorin: Shhh! (A beat passes) Fellow questors, let us ride to...The Lonely Mountain!
(music begins, the dwarves begin to dance and sing)
We're dwarves of the Lonely Mountain
We're breaking all your porcelain
We bend your forks
Like ugly orcs
With intelligence uncertain
We dine well here at Bilbo's
We have toast and jam and Fritos!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!

We're dwarves of the Mountain Lonely!
Our mines are fine, not homely!
We craft our jools
And act like fools
But can't beat Smaug alone-ly!
We gotta find a burg-a-ler
And not a fearful grocer-ler!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #13
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Or even a "Brave Sir Bilbo" song.

But I think it should be similar to the book. (Anyway, the LOTR had a bit of comedy in the EE)
Old 04-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Another possibility of course could be "Carry on Questing" .. davem prepared a few excerpts if I recall...

eg:
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...9&postcount=36

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-18-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:11 AM   #15
R.
Animated Skeleton

R. has just left Hobbiton.
I for one never thought of the Hobbit as childish. I all ways thought it was rather serious and dark for the most part. Just my opinion though.

Ron