The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2022, 03:15 PM   #1
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Leaf **Spoiler Warning 2: Electric Boogaloo** Rings of Power S1E2 - "Adrift"

Well, with Hui not having done so, and having just watching Episode 2 (look at that: I'm caught up!), I shall continue this mad streak of thread-starting and get something up for Episode 2, "Adrift." Once again, my content is nothing more than stream of consciousness blather:
  • Wait, is this a different intro, or did I just not pay any attention last time?
  • Still like the music, I think.
  • Not sure I needed "Merry, Pippin, and the fall into trouble" recapitulated with Norry and Poppy?
  • Did the Hobbits just say the word "human"--that sounds very wrong. Just say "man" if you want to be Tolkienian!
  • I have it! I have the origin! This is the Man in the Moon come down too soon! Eureka!
  • "ground shake" Was "earthquake" too modern? I am now genuinely curious what Shakespeare would have called it.
  • Is Eregion new? Old? I guess old, but it feels almost out of nowhere.
  • Why by spring, Celebrimbor? You're an Elf--what's the time crunch for?
  • Why is "aged parent" an Elven metaphor? How would Celebrimbor OR Elrond know it?
  • Pre-Narvi gates! I suppose that makes sense... but why--HOW--does Elrond have history with Durin?
  • Underground greenery? I need to digest this...
  • I suppose "Mahal" probably was Silm material, alas...
  • This Dwarven ritual thing is... corny?
  • Is that escargot? I think Tolkien would have hated that. :-P
  • Well, the Man in the Moon is properly frightening, that's for sure.
  • Okay, half-drowned sailor, you are clearly supposed to be our Aragorn-expy.
  • Okay, so do they have the rights to the Adventures of Tom Bombadil? First the Man in the Moon, now we have Fastitocalon?
  • Did Durin saying something about the Moon coming down? I didn't understand a word... I think I'm obsessed.
  • "Children" plural? I like the gap of understanding between Elves and Dwarves here, but 20 years is still not to a Dwarf what it is to a Man! It's like being missing 3-4 years.
  • Whose beard?
  • Honestly, the worst part of Dísa is that "a" on the end of her name.
  • Wait, is that a mallorn is or it the Laurelin version of the Gondorian mirrors of Telperion?
  • You pursued him before the sun? Since when did you give a thought to Sauron before you reach Middle-earth? Wasn't it all Morgoth then?
  • "Baldrick" Does everyone have a misplaced name in the Southland?
  • Okay, we've definitely got some claustrophobia horror here!
  • Actually, this whole Southland story seems like a slightly different genre. I'm not sure what genre it is, but it's definitely something different for now.
  • There are too many stories--it feels like an age getting back to the Man in the Moon.
  • Leaning into the "Arkenstone is a Silmaril" idea?
  • Theo is going to be a Nazgûl, isn't he? I mean... nine of the characters are, right? Halbarad is the Witch-king, right? Elrond, Galadriel, and Durin are all Ring-bearers... so we need the Men too.
  • Aaaaaand hello, Númenor, I assume.

Overall... I'm kind of enjoying myself. Despite knowing the big picture of how this must end, I really have very little idea where this is going in the small or medium scale. I definitely didn't think very much about the canon in this story other than the, erm, pedantic points above, whereas Episode 1 did have me thinking quite a bit about the legendarium. So I'm not sure what that says exactly.

But I am, generally, excited to see Episode 3 now, and I was DREADING the series a week ago... so, success? Good job, Amazon? Considering you had my household's Prime account before and will likely retain it after, I'm not sure this was worth your $150 million, but it was worth my two hours so far.