The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Elyna of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

Elyna of Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Well duh Legolas!

I'm not sure if there is another thread like this around, I could't seem to find one anywhere but if there is please let me know!

Now i was watching TTT (again) and as i was watching i fond myself thinking "What was the point of saying THAT Legolas!" It seems to me that he seems to make the most obvious comments, and someimes useless ones at that. I'm not having a go at Legolas himself, but is it REALLY nesessary to say some of the things he says in the movies?

P.S. This is my first thread so I'm not sure if I've done alright or not...
Elyna of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Thumbs up

Don't you worry Elyna, you've done alright. It maybe the movie Legolas' captain obvious statements have received quite a lot of ridicule around different threads but you're probably quite right in there not being a special thread for them...

So like all threads this will either gather a host of posting if people feel like picking on it or will wane into oblivion - and no one can kind of foresee which thread goes where...

But to your point... well yes.

Let me make an absurd and yet plausible proposition: maybe PJ and / or the gang at the studio thought this story is so hard for the average 21st century teen-age audience to catch (and we need their money anyway), so let's pick one of the characters that a) looks cool for the teens, b) does all the cool stuff like skateboarding on shields, and c) explains the dummies what's going on?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Let me make an absurd and yet plausible proposition: maybe PJ and / or the gang at the studio thought this story is so hard for the average 21st century teen-age audience to catch (and we need their money anyway), so let's pick one of the characters that a) looks cool for the teens, b) does all the cool stuff like skateboarding on shields, and c) explains the dummies what's going on?
Why don't they make him take the Ring to Isengard too, as a diversion?

Seriously, though, I completely agree with your proposition.

PS: I can finally see the Merisu smiley! Horray! It was showing up blank ever since the deprecation!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I've heard the term 'Exposition Elf' used of characters that state the obvious. I don't know how it came into existence, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had originated with movie!Legolas.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I've heard the term 'Exposition Elf' used of characters that state the obvious. I don't know how it came into existence, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had originated with movie!Legolas.
As long as he isn't Exhibitionist Elf.

When they can't rely on prose, they have to pick somebody to explain things to the viewers. To echo what Nog said, I would think the Captain Obvious moments of Legolas are right in line with modern film-making, which seems to have the idea that the average movie-goer has the attention span and intellect of a drunken ferret.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
As long as he isn't Exhibitionist Elf.
A large part of the audience wouldn't have minded that either.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nice thread, Elyna.

Captain Obvious must be a revered rank in Middle Earth, as many characters seemed to be fighting for the title.

Think that blondy Legolas just made his bid for the role more...uh...obvious.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I haven't watched TTT or ROTK in a long time, but last time viewing FOTR, I did mentally take note of Legolas' lines...I seriously think all of his lines are either something obvious, or something already established by another character moments before:

"He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn"

"Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond just said...the Ring must be destroyed!"

"You have my bow!"

"Crebain!"

"Orcs!"

Goblins!"

"The horn of Gondor!"

"Frodo and Sam have reached the Eastern Shore!"

The extended edition might be a little more kind to Legolas, but not much. (and yes I imagine all of these captain obvious statements as having exclamation marks.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
Elyna of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

White Tree

Thank you so much! Now i know i am not the only on who thinks this about Legolas! I mean yeah he is an elf so i suppose he should be given some credit for that but still...

I agree with your ideas about Legolas being "the explainer" in the movies and as a teenager myself i can see Legolas being needed to explain things for some of my classmates...

P.S. I actually started a thread! Yay!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
Zigűr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigűr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigűr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
It always bothered me that Legolas was given this boring expository dialogue in the films when in the books he's so whimsical and cheery a lot of the time.

"'Farewell!' he said to Gandalf. 'I go to find the Sun!'"

Of course this is not the case all the time, but it's an element of his character I missed. In the books Gimli's often dour and cynical while Legolas is often of a rather more positive disposition and more light-hearted. In the films it's rather the reverse, wouldn't you say, with Legolas being the doubter and Gimli the wise-cracker, even if it's more gallows humour.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
To be fair they had a similar problem with the Radio adaptation IIRC and tried to solve it by having ask lots of questions which prompted the question "Why is Pippin so stupid?" from Christopher Tolkien.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
We have stupid!Pippin in the films as well though so perhaps this is part of the reason why we needed exposition!Elf. I don't really mind a few Captain Obvious statements but Zigűr is right that it makes you miss the more whimsical Legolas you see in the books. By all means tell us what's going on, but maybe try smiling? Or not acting as though this is the most important statement you will make all film.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
We have stupid!Pippin in the films as well though so perhaps this is part of the reason why we needed exposition!Elf. I don't really mind a few Captain Obvious statements but Zigűr is right that it makes you miss the more whimsical Legolas you see in the books. By all means tell us what's going on, but maybe try smiling? Or not acting as though this is the most important statement you will make all film.
My question would be is why they can't split the Captain Obvious statements among different people? Why do they pile all of them onto Legolas?
Old 08-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
My question would be is why they can't split the Captain Obvious statements among different people? Why do they pile all of them onto Legolas?
Maybe Orlando chafed at PJ's original direction of "stand there and look pretty".

Last edited by Inziladun; 11-11-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #15
Mornorngűr
Animated Skeleton

Mornorngűr has just left Hobbiton.
I remember the scene at Helms Deep where Haldir is talking to Aragorn, and legolas is standing behind, he has got the most stupid expression on his face that I have ever seen. I use to rewind it constantly just so me and my brother could laugh at it! , its a sort of perverted and confused look.
Mornorngűr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #16
Elyna of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornorngűr View Post
I remember the scene at Helms Deep where Haldir is talking to Aragorn, and legolas is standing behind, he has got the most stupid expression on his face that I have ever seen. I use to rewind it constantly just so me and my brother could laugh at it! , its a sort of perverted and confused look.
I deliberetly (god i cannot spell), watched this scene so i could see what you meant, an when i noticed it cracked me up so much. You are so right, it is the silliest look ever! Well spotted!
Old 11-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #17
Dark Lord
Pile O'Bones

Dark Lord has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyna of Rivendell View Post
I deliberetly (god i cannot spell), watched this scene so i could see what you meant, an when i noticed it cracked me up so much. You are so right, it is the silliest look ever! Well spotted!
Do not offend poor old Legolas. He is mystical and should be treated with respect, as he could easily shoot an arrow through our heads. =(

But I can remember that part. I must not laugh...
Dark Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #18
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqIMhrS14B0

Pausing at 1:13 I assume that's the face if not there's another one.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:41 AM   #19
Elyna of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord View Post
Do not offend poor old Legolas. He is mystical and should be treated with respect, as he could easily shoot an arrow through our heads. =(
Fair point
Old 11-27-2013, 03:45 AM   #20
Elyna of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqIMhrS14B0

Pausing at 1:13 I assume that's the face if not there's another one.
I thought it was more 1:27 ish, but i could be wrong, and Mornorngűr and i could be talkiing about completely different faces..
Old 11-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #21
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ah the "Blue Steel" Look.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #22
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
White-Hand

Speaking of PJ elfspeak, one of the "fascinations" with the
lonnnnng PJ Hobbit series will be seeing how the elves, esp.
the female featured elf, will engage in faux Middle earth speak,
since of course the character(s) have no real Middle Earth
dialog to draw on.