The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 03:30 AM   #1
Glorthelion
Haunting Spirit

Glorthelion has just left Hobbiton.
Clip from the Desolation of Smaug

Nothing much, but I thought I would share with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfzl_...ature=youtu.be

Damn Gulf
Glorthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I think the worst parts of these videos are always the Tolkien dilettantes in the comments who shout "Appendices!" as the magic word for anything seemingly divergent from the source material. I'd be curious as to how many have actually read them.
I'm already sick of Radagast. His presence and the invention of his adventures in these films in my opinion diminish the unique determination and heroism of Gandalf.
I can't help but feel that these "Ringwraith tombs" and similar plots exist because the filmmakers are too lazy to find ways to explain Middle-earth's history properly. History is so important to the story, and in The Hobbit especially when it is put into context with The Lord of the Rings. There must be ways of presenting it in a meaningful way. Professor Tolkien's view of history is so focused on the connection of events and how this is viewed and interpreted within the story, not just arbitrary supernatural occurrences popping up to renew characters' interest in some mystery.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
I think the worst parts of these videos are always the Tolkien dilettantes in the comments who shout "Appendices!" as the magic word for anything seemingly divergent from the source material. I'd be curious as to how many have actually read them.
This may seem like a sweeping generalisation, but I'm going with: none. None at all. I'm pretty sure otherwise some of these people would give details (you know, like where in the Appendices they think it comes from). And that they would notice major discrepancies. And that they probably wouldn't bother with this line of argument at all in a case where the Appendix version consists of a few sentences that duplicate information given in the main text anyway.

That said, I think Gandalf's exploring Dol Guldur is a quite legitimate thing to include, and the scene does look nicely spooky and atmospheric– until Radagast shows up, anyway.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
I can't help but feel that these "Ringwraith tombs" and similar plots exist because the filmmakers are too lazy to find ways to explain Middle-earth's history properly.
I suspect that part of the intent on the part of PJ is creating yet another tie to the previous (or subsequent...I'm getting to hate prequals) films with yet another incident of "oh yes, we saw those guys in the other movies."

I do agree with Nerwen that, at least from a cinematic standpoint, the scene was good until Radagast appeared and did his "who am I and what am I doing here?" That routine is getting old already. It is hard to have respect for the character as a wizard if they are going to continually go out of their way to prove Saruman right about him.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:19 AM   #5
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to a Dol Guldur plot per se. I'm just not keen on this interpretation of the Ringwraiths being entombed (which I believe is what is meant to be happening here). Is it just meant to simplify the evidence for Sauron's return, I wonder, or is it genuine misunderstanding on the part of the filmmakers? To wit, did they not realise that the Ringwraiths were busy doing things throughout the Third Age and thought the Professor had never said anything about it so it was up to them to fill the gaps?
It just seems so... sword 'n' sorcery to me.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
The clip is no longer available.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
The clip is no longer available.
Which makes viewing it blessedly shorter.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
LordPhillock
Animated Skeleton

LordPhillock has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to LordPhillock
Boots

are you guys also talking about "Desolation of Smaug" Live Event that happened on March 25th? Because that was quite hilarious. The second movie seems to be much more ridiculous than the first, and personally, I actually can't wait to see what they've done next. "Never go east!" pure camp. It's quite apparent that Peter Jackson and the above-the-line crew members did extensive research (from memory) of their own films, and didn't really bother re-reading any Tolkien books this time around.

I am truly sorry for my attitude, but that's kind of how I feel towards the hobbit films now.

It's like a huge tumble down a cliff, but the tumble is so fascinating and weird, you can't help but keep watching. That said, I'm expecting free ticket vouchers for the next films. I can't possibly pay for them again. I will look forward to their detour to Lake-Town -- I mean the Pirates of the Caribbean Ride from Mongolia. (Oh, is that our new goofy Wormtongue right next to Fry?)

And the Dol Guldur scene on the internet (and at the end of the Live Event) was simply Moria all over again, except with The Doctor as an oblivious homeless man with bird droppings. "This was open from the inside!". I sure hope it's Tolkien back from the dead to deliver bloody zombie justice.

Truly sorry for being a joykill, by the way.

Last edited by LordPhillock; 04-09-2013 at 04:23 PM.
LordPhillock is offline   Reply With Quote