The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
20 Best CGI Films -- from Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings trilogy scored twice (for Return of the King and Fellowship of the Ring). The list can be found here:

http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/wall_...gins_to_wall_e

I find the list generally well represented, but no Shrek? Bah! As far as Beowulf, I couldn't watch the movie, as the faces were so horribly rendered and plastically unreal, I found it disconcerting. I am rather surprised LotR did not score higher, since CGI Gollum personally deserved an Oscar (unlike the ridiculous Jar-Jar from Sith). I am also surprised so many commentators on Rotten Tomatoes are criticizing the inclusion of Gladiator on the list; I think Ridley Scott's special effects work (in Gladiator, Aliens, Kingdom of Heaven, etc.) is stellar and slyly subtle; after all, some of the best CGI effects are those one doesn't notice. In Ridley's case, when the big scenes arrive they have more visual pop (I particularly liked the bombardment scenes in Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven).
Old 08-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Gollum is the best CGI I've seen, but that isn't very high praise, I don't see too much movies. I suppose FotR and RotK got in because of Gollum, but why not TT? And Finding Nemo before RotK? Ok, this isn't to my taste.

Jar-Jar Binks from Star Wars looks as if he's another guy-in-a-rubber-mask. I'm afraid I held to that belief for years, assuming that because the Wookie was a guy-in-a-mask then Jar-Jar is too, until my brother pointed it out to me. Gollum, however, does not look like a guy-in-a-rubber mask. So that is a trifle disappointing.

Wait--Clone Wars, the animated latest film about Star Wars? Did I get that right? It's not yet showing here.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm...it seems in my haste to castigate the pollsters on their choices, I neglected to discern that the list is chronological, not based on ranking (d'oh!). I'll stick by what I said otherwise.

And I've never been impressed by Star Wars, whether in regards to its special effects, acting or directing. Possibly the most overrated single item in the history of the universe.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Well... I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

But is this a list of best movies that have CGI in them, or best CGI in movies? I can't work it out.

Regarding "Beowulf": realistic humans are the hardest thing of all to do, firstly because there's a whole lot of subtle facial movements that go into creating expressions, and secondly because, well, we all know what people look like. All the same, I think they could have done a lot better.