The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2002, 06:33 AM   #1
angel_atlantica

Ring THE AFTERMATH

I'm just wondering but what will happen after the excitement has died down? After the third movie has long gone..... will people still want to visit this site? I certainly will but I don't know about everyone else. After a while, LOTR won't be such a big issue.... so what happens then? Will all these sites go forgotten?
Old 04-30-2002, 09:06 AM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, many of the Lord of the Rings and Tolkien sites were around long before the movies were made. Many people just didn't find them until they saw the movie.<BR>I imagine that some sites which are based solely on the movie may get less notice, but sites such as this one will still thrive. The books will always be in people's minds because new generations will keep reading them.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 09:13 AM   #3
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know about the movie sites, but sites like this one will, especially now that so many have found the brilliance of Tolkien's works. This won't leave once the movie is done. Think about it. How many are learning the languages, and are getting into discussions about the works that have nothing to do with the movies. Look on the books boards. I don't think we have anything to worry about!
Old 04-30-2002, 09:19 AM   #4
Voronwen Amatiriel Cuile
Pile O'Bones

Voronwen Amatiriel Cuile has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Voronwen Amatiriel Cuile
Sting

i agree completely. long live LOTR!!!!!!! the books, however awesome the movies are/are going to be, are still and always will be better. besides- the movies are going to become cult classics, any way. they'll be kind of like monty python movies(etc.)- everyone will still be watching them decades after they come out.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:42 AM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

i'll still be here - long after the furor of the cinema has died down. my first love for tolkien was through his writings, and they continue to be refreshing to me year after year.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:07 PM   #6
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yep, the same with me, no doubt. I have been living with the books for some time now (nearly 8 years), and now when I´ve finally found a site where I can discuss the books(and also the films) with others like me, would I leave it after a while? No way! <BR>Long live LOTR and Barrow Downs!
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 02:12 PM   #7
Celebmundoiel
Animated Skeleton

Celebmundoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

It will todally suck when all the movies are done but you can not forget about video and DVD. They will last for a long time. I wish J.R.R Tolkien wrote more than just three.
Roaming in the night through the shadows. You cannot hear me, you cannot see me. I am as agile as a cat. As I run I am low to the ground. I climb trees in a second and run on the branches as if they were the earth’s surface. My appearance is deceitful, I can take life as well as spare. I am Celebmundoiel.
Celebmundoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 02:27 PM   #8
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am sad to say that I think that it will die down to a certain extent. After you have memorized the movie and the book, there is not much else you can do. I think it will be slow though.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:48 PM   #9
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The books were around for, what, nearly 45 years before PJ probably even thought of making the movies. Aye, I believe the best of them (like the Downs here) will stick around after the films have left the cinemas....And so will I! <P>The movie is creating a whole new batch of Tolkien fans, young and old, and after reading the books, you can pretty much guarantee that they will remain life-long fans. There is so much stuff to soak up even after you've read all the books: if you're after more there's the history and background and langauges, etc to keep you going for a while. And of course re-reading all the books again!<P>Do you think Tolkien will become/is becoming even more popular around the globe...??<p>[ April 30, 2002: Message edited by: Enedhil ]
Old 05-01-2002, 04:55 PM   #10
Luinsewiel
Haunting Spirit

Location: The Great Grey-Green Greasy Limpopo River, All Set About With Fever Trees
Luinsewiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Luinsewiel Send a message via AIM to Luinsewiel
Sting

It'll probly die down somewhat but then in another 20 years or so they'll remake the movies againand dare-that-i-hope make and anime version that i can collect and watch over and over. Hopefully most of the newly generated fans or tolkien will stick arond after the movies are all out and like someone said there's always the dvd.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:44 PM   #11
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

Well, let me just say that I too will certiantly be here after all the hula balu dies down. But, like everyone has mainly already said, some sites may lose a great many members, and some, sadly, might just overall disapear. I do beleive though, like you kind people have aready mentioned, that Tolkiens work will not go unforgotten just because a silly litte movie is no longer in theaters anymore, heh, then again, there are probley those people who just went to see the movie for its action scenes, and never really had any intention on actually thinking that the movie was based off of a fantasticly well written book.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:46 PM   #12
Celebmundoiel
Animated Skeleton

Celebmundoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I never ever ever want the thrill and excitment of LOTR to die down. and if it does that will suck. but I will always be hear talking to people like you because you all love the movie like me.
Roaming in the night through the shadows. You cannot hear me, you cannot see me. I am as agile as a cat. As I run I am low to the ground. I climb trees in a second and run on the branches as if they were the earth’s surface. My appearance is deceitful, I can take life as well as spare. I am Celebmundoiel.
Celebmundoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 03:19 AM   #13
ilon
Animated Skeleton

ilon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ilon
Sting

i hope they'd make another movie adaptation of JRRTolkien's works, like what goerge lucas did to his own STAR WARS. maybe Silmarillion would be good although i've not <BR>read it,only the TLOTR books. or maybe a movie about the third age or the first age. if i'm right the LOTR trilogy was set in the second age.<p>[ May 07, 2002: Message edited by: ilon ]
Old 05-02-2002, 03:36 AM   #14
Midgardsormen
Animated Skeleton

Midgardsormen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ilon The Lord of the Rings is set in the Third Age - the end of the Third Age. The Silmarillion is set in the First and Second Age...it has some great stories, but they are rather condensed so it would not be possible to make a movie of the book, but a movie of one of the stories in the book would be great. (if it was done well, that is)<BR>I had loved LotR for many many years, but it was only after I found out about the movie AND we got a cable for the computer that I went searching for sites. I do think things will slow down, and we will certainly not have 2000 girls squealing about how sexy Legolas is , but for those of us who love both the books and the movie(s), places like The Barrow Downs offer us the opportunity to discuss our obsession with other people. I certainly do not plan to suddenly disappear around say Feb. 2004!<BR>(There is nothing wrong with liking how Legolas looks....he is one very good looking Elv, but wading through some sites.....!!)
Old 05-06-2002, 04:13 PM   #15
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I will probably still be here because I was a book fan first. I'd have come to the site sooner if I'd owned a computer sooner (well one with net access anyway)and don't intend to leave until I'm asked. I've been a fan of Tolkien for about 16 years, why change that habit just because of three movies?
Old 05-07-2002, 05:04 AM   #16
ilon
Animated Skeleton

ilon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ilon
Sting

Midgardsormen <P>i thought t'was the end of the second age when Gandalf and company sailed out off ME<BR> and was the third age the domination of humans in ME?
Old 05-07-2002, 07:00 AM   #17
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Sting

The movies generated awareness in the people of all walks of life cause more people watch movies than there are people who read and can read.<P>This site is dedicated mostly to and by the kinds who read, especially fantasy and tolkien, so there's no question of it being abandoned by it's fans.<P>And as long as the RPG and Quiz threads function, I'm here to stay.<P>
Old 05-07-2002, 01:53 PM   #18
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

I think I'll definitely be popping in and out of here for sure. I like this site. I <I>love</I> this forum. It has a definite atmosphere (and how many other cyberspace hang-outs out there actually have an "atmosphere"?) of Tolkien-appreciation, as well as a great group of witty people. Long live, er, die the Downs!