The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2002, 03:23 PM   #1
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Bilbo's song

you know the one, "the road goes ever on and on..."<P>Well, I was just thinking (dangerous, I know ) or wondering if Tolkien ever worte an actual melody for the song himself. I thought that the melody sounded familiar in the film - it sounds kinda like one used in the Radio 4 recording of LOTR (when Ian Hom played Frodo). So there, all I wondered was if there was already a melody for teh song (-or all of the songs in the book, not just Bilbo's?), one that was used in the film and radio broadcast. <P>Or if I'm just going nuts.
Old 04-26-2002, 04:04 PM   #2
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, yes, and yes!!!!!!! There was music written for the song. You can find it in a book called The Road Goes Ever On. It's out of print and hard to find, but you haven't gone insane! I think it is to the tune that Bilbo and Gandalf sang it to in the movie. Peter Jackson payed so much attention to details.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:45 AM   #3
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I bought the book! I got at a second-hand store for 15$! Totally worth it. I recommend it to any musically-inclined people.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 12:52 PM   #4
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah, I want it, I must have it!
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 03:23 PM   #5
Enedhil
Wight

Sting

Wow, that's amazing! Aina, sister - see, I do listen sometimes!!<P>Thanks Nufaciel!
Old 04-27-2002, 03:28 PM   #6
Enedhil
Wight

Sting

Good grief - is <A HREF="http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y01Y3706340Y7620487/qid=1019942772/sr=1-1/103-6943765-9595061" TARGET=_blank>this</A> the book you are talking of?
Old 05-19-2002, 03:31 PM   #7
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I also wondered the same question as you Enedhil! Now I really have to find a copy of that book! <BR> Maybe it'll come back into print because of the movies...*crosses fingers*

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 06:44 AM   #8
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Yes, that link you pulled up in the song book. The melodies are by Donald Swann and the lyrics by Tolkien. Plus Tolkien does some neat pages of notes in the back of the book where he actually makes a few comments about the poems I haven't read anywhere else.<P>But you don't have to pay $150 like the copy on the link. I got a used paperback one on e-bay for $15. They come up there fairly frequently, some are more expensive and some less. But all I've seen were $40 or less.<P>sharon, the 7th age hobbit