The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-08-2002, 09:38 PM   #1
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Elijah Wood Interview I promised

I don't recall who I promised a link to this interview, but, whoever you are, here it is. This is when I decided I think I like this intelligent, intense, enthusiastic kid.<P><A HREF="http://www.premiere.com/Premiere/Features/901/Elijah5.html" TARGET=_blank>Elijah Wood interview</A><P>I don't generally become entranced with stars. But this one appears to have substance, even so young. Likely I'm just projecting a Frodo crush onto him.<p>[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 04-09-2002, 05:50 AM   #2
Sîdhrîs
Haunting Spirit

Sîdhrîs has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Hey, thank you Marileangorifurnimaluim! This interview is really interesting!
Sîdhrîs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 09:16 PM   #3
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Yes, most interviews are silly, but this interviewer is unusually talented and observant, lets his subject speak for himself. This takes the interview in unexpected directions. Then the writer fills you in on the detail, mannerisms, attitude, surroundings. You learn a lot more than what Elijah says, you get to watch him. The interviewer adds nothing, but is insightful in what he describes.<P>You generally don't find this depth of description outside of a book.<P>Most interviewers.. <BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Control the questions, so basicly tell the subject what canned track to play for them. <BR><LI>They don't describe more than just the bare words, so on top of that the interview is flat sound bites. <BR><LI>Then they ignore or edit out the off-side, off-subject chatter, which is most illuminating.<BR><LI>Focus on getting the interview over with, rather than being genuinely interested in what this person has to say. The interviewee knows this, and keeps it short and entertaining. And shallow.<BR><LI>Last, they don't observe the person they're talking to, so provide no window of insight. </UL><p>[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 04-09-2002, 09:21 PM   #4
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Yes, it is a very good interview and he does sound quite intelligent (eh, he's from Iowa, of course he would be! ). I'll admit though, I do think the story about him wrecking the kitchen at age two was a touch...overdone. I mean, who hasn't thrown pots and pans all over the floor at that age? And to be completely honest, I'm very glad I didn't have those parents, but hey, that's just me.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:35 PM   #5
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> “I’d wake up late, have a cup of coffee, smoke a cigarette,” <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 05:48 PM   #6
Lossenavariel
Pile O'Bones

Lossenavariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...... I didn't know he smoked
Old 04-10-2002, 10:07 PM   #7
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Have any of you read the article about Elijah Wood in the recent Rolling Stone magazine? I must say that it is my fav to date. But, just for the record, it has some naughty language in it (especially what some of the casts' nickname for Cate Blanchett was )
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 12:15 AM   #8
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Hey Kali, don't forget our bet over the next 8 months. <P>The link here is to a different article, doesn't include a 'pots and pans' sequence. Read it, it's more insightful than the one in "I met Him!!!!!!!!!" The pots and pans were mentioned in the Rolling Stone article.<p>[ April 11, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 04-11-2002, 12:26 AM   #9
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Pipe

Oops! Actually I did read this article when it was first posted but didn't come back to comment on it until a bit later; obviously my memory was doing deja vu with the RS article . You're right, this one was much better; either he's a very intelligent guy or - I hate to say this - a really good actor when it comes to looking like one . Though I stick to my original thought that I would not have Wood's parents for the earth. But honestly speaking, I can't really care if he smokes. (I don't myself, but prolonged exposure to Slavic friends and relations who can barely be seen for the thunderclouds around their heads have made me fairly oblivious to it). <P>No, Maril, I'm not forgetting . The 10-second Gollum-on-the-riverbank scene, was it? I've been reading the second-guessing thread but couldn't come up with anything else really snappy in terms of revisions...sigh...
Old 04-11-2002, 01:22 AM   #10
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Yeah, I do the same thing, most recently with movie/book scenes that are similar. "The cave troll nearly skewered Frodo, oops, I mean the Orc Captain.."<P>His parents seem to be really out there, yeah. The overprotective mother circling her life around her beautiful baby as a reaction against her doomed marriage, the itinerent, emotionally distant, almost non-existant father, slandered after their separation by his angry ex-wife to his kids.. ugh. Says he doesn't want to get married until he's in his 30s? Can't imagine why..<P> How's that for some gossip?<P>I don't care about the smoking either, but it's too bad for him. Those clove cigarettes are ultra-high tar, and have, I think, formaldahyde in them, no filters. They're the chocolate liquour of cigarettes, people who hate smoking love the scent.<P>It takes intelligence to zero in on out what would sound intelligent, so I don't think he's faking it . But keeping a careful and professional spin-control? Oh yeah.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:56 PM   #11
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Personally, being surrounded by folks who smoke, this bad habit doesn't bother me. Hell, i ain't perfect myself (though i don't smoke. the thought of pumping my bloodstream full of poison? please, we only have a short time on this earth as it is without slicing it.)<P>He seems nice?? I really don't have much...faith in all these actors and actresses at all. <BR>And I'm fed up of being led to believe a person is 'this way' only to find out later they're 'that way'. But hey, don't worry, it's not just 'celebs', it's just people in general. <P>I have this dreadfully cynical nature and I'd like to be proved wrong but until then...<P><BR>I'm on a downer right now. My good cheer sorta ran out of steam. <P>Someone prove me wrong! Restore my faith in Human-kind! And I didn't mean to offend anyone, and I'm now dreading an *** -kicking from y'all...
Old 04-11-2002, 05:27 PM   #12
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Cheer up, Enedhil. I know, it's disappointing to be led to believe that someone is not what they appear. It has happened to me many times, but you have to remember that everyone has faults. I'm sure that you know and will meet wonderful people who will prove you wrong. I hope you feel better soon
Old 04-11-2002, 05:30 PM   #13
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Boots

I have to agree with comments about his perants. I think that Elijah's Mother should have tried a little harder to keep her family togther. I believe that would be the best thing for any child, espeshaily for a child actor under so much stress. I also have to wonder about his siblings. How did they feel about beeing uprooted to L.A. just for Elijah? If it were me, I believe I would feel a little neglected. Smoking doesn't really bother me if I odn't have to be around it for very long. I don't smoke and niether do any of my close family (exept my uncle). I also have pure-blood Slavic relitives, they have passed on. I do wish I could learn the language.
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 06:58 PM   #14
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Hey Enedhil, I think in the case of celebrities, their reputation is so important to their jobs, they really do keep a tight spin control. I don't blame them for that. Think of Robert Downey, Jr., caught being 'bad' when he was marketed into sweet, lovable everyman roles.. bye-bye career. <P>The only way to get to know anyone is to actually <I>know</I> them. <P>But, you can kinda read between the lines, and watch what they do to learn a little about them. <P>Nothing can hide the fact Elijah's bright. Nothing can hide the fact that he's ambitious (a non-LotR fan bought several costumes, filmed himself in the role and sent it to the director? Do you think he wanted the part?). <BR>Nothing hides the fact he's enthusiastic, he bubbles over with every project, wants to do everything, direct, cinematography... <BR>Other cast members mention he's hard-working, so I'll buy that. Usually goes hand in hand with ambition. Given he's been 'working' since he was 9, that's not surprising.<P>The family stuff is murky though. Who knows what's going on. He sure doesn't want to say, and works really hard to spin it. That alone tells us it's a tough situation.
Old 04-13-2002, 01:56 AM   #15
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

1420!

That makes sense to me, Maril. Part of being a professional actor is being able to make a personality for yourself, so the interviews et al aren't so much random chats as part of the way you earn your bread and butter, hence the spin. Though I can't really fault him for dancing around the subject of his parents like that; would anyone really respect him more if he decided to air *all* his family's dirty laundry in the pages of nationwide magazines? I doubt too many of us would be willing to reveal everything about our families in the circumstances, even if we did make a living in a business like acting, where a huge part of it has to do with exposure like that.<P>Still, if I can indulge in voyeurism for a few more minutes, the parents do sound deeply disturbing. For his mother, think about the mentality that would make you risk EVERYTHING on your undoubtedly precocious but still very young child. Uprooting an entire family because your seven-year-old might be able to make it in acting would put quite a bit of pressure on the seven-year-old, wouldn't it? Of course they hit paydirt in this instance, but that wasn't guaranteed by any means; in fact failure was far more likely just because that's how things tend to work in that business. Mother probably has a few serious issues of her own somewhere (never been back to Iowa ONCE? Come on, I used to live in Cedar Rapids, it's not exactly a backwater hellhole). As for his father being bitter - well, I would be too, under the circs.
Old 04-13-2002, 02:16 AM   #16
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Speaking of voyeurism (fun, isn't it?) I like the little clues that drop like breadcrumbs, unintended hints punturing the surface tension. <P>He mentions he's the peacemaker in the family.. also tells the story from The Ice Storm where he makes out with a girl (who's wearing a Nixon mask) while his mom watched the filming (I understand a parent would be concerned about such a possibly exploitative scene), and says of it that it was weird, but weirder for his mom than him. Over-responsibility from a kid? Once is chance, twice is probable, three times is a sure thing.<P>He also quotes what other people feel he should and should not do, his brother told him to stay away from the swinging Hollywood social scene, his mom is very close and has been very protective of him, kept him out of the hollywood bs, his friend said that he should play Frodo. Not that any of this is bad advice, and it's common for a young kid to do what others want, but...<P>I was glad to see he did 'Flipper' just because he wanted to play with a dolphin for several months. <P>Not healthy to be over-responsible for others feelings and also do what others think you should.
Old 04-13-2002, 07:18 AM   #17
Blue Bunny Wunny

Silmaril

WOW!! that interview is great!! thanks loads!! Elijah wood is a great actor and i think he played Frodo brilliantly! shame about the smoking though... thankyou!!
Old 04-14-2002, 09:26 AM   #18
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ok, I've just deleted that. <P>Here not the place for depressive ranting. <P>love you all xx<p>[ April 14, 2002: Message edited by: Enedhil ]
Old 06-01-2002, 03:04 PM   #19
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That certainly is a great interview. Elijah really comes across as different than most actors when he says that his life doesn't revolve around movies.<P>And he used a quote from a Radiohead website when some chicas in Mexico asked him to say something for the camera. I adore Radiohead so my respect for this guy has gone WAY up (not that it wasn't pretty high already lol)<P>Kudos Mali.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 03:17 PM   #20
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks for the article, Maril! Very insightful. I will be an actress one day, and I keep thinking about what I'll do when I will indubitably have to have interviews. It is an interesting, albeit scary, thought. Shame about the smoking, though. I think it's horrible the way movies and TV shows portray characters who are 'cool' as smokers, thus send out the extra peer pressure that smoking is cool. <BR>And Eledhel, I think I know how you feel. About ten or twelve times a day I come up with something I want to tell you people, then remind myself that that has nothing to do with Tolkien and is not in anyway constructive to the discussion. <BR>And Vardadurwen: What was the quote?<p>[ June 01, 2002: Message edited by: Aosama, the Wandering Star ]
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 11:38 PM   #21
Kettle of fish
Wight

Kettle of fish has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

And does anyone have the link to the RS article?
Old 06-02-2002, 11:58 AM   #22
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Loved that interview, thanx! He seems to be nice, but you can never know with people...<BR>That´s one thing I can´t really stand, celebrities trying to be in a certain way. This goes for people in general too. I hate it hate it hate it...<BR>Enedhil - I understand you, I think I have the same view, but worse. (Maybe because of the live I´ve had.) I don´t have faith in humans, don´t think I will ever have.<BR>Sorry for this, just had to get it out of me.
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 01:14 PM   #23
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Thumbs up

Hello, fine Kettle of Fish (love the name), I looked for a link to the Rolling Stone article, and couldn't find it. It was a while ago. <P>You're welcome, everyone, it's a great article. <P>Earendil, I came across a transcript of a chat with Elijah, Dom and Billy Boyd on Billy's website. They had this great idea they could keep in touch through Billy's chat, and then tried to hold a coversation with a bunch chatters interrupting constantly. Chat-flood. <P>Elijah was a nice kid, after a complaint or two "oh, I love chats like this" gave up the ghost and started talking to the chatters. Then Dom came online (he was staying at Elijah's while looking for a car and an apartment in LA) - Oy! He's nuts. Let me know if you'd like the link. It's a lot to wade through, and Dom was X-rated.<P>-Maril
Old 06-03-2002, 05:57 AM   #24
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Not that I understand why you said that to me (or was it to me?), but anyway, sure, I want the link, if you want to tell.
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Old 06-03-2002, 01:17 PM   #25
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

1420!

Hi Earendil, yes it was to you (and everyone else by extension). You wondered if Elijah was really as sweet as he seemed in the interviews, and based on the chat I would say yes. But then I rambled on about the rest of the chat. I'll dig up the link. Dom was appalling. And as soon as I stop laughing, I'll try to be horrified. <P>-Maril
Old 06-04-2002, 06:58 AM   #26
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Okay, thanx. *thumbs up*<BR>Ah well, I would wait to judge him until I would meet him, which I will never do anyway..... <BR>Never trust people too much, I have learned that, in a very painful way.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:50 PM   #27
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

<A HREF="http://www.rollingstone.com/mv_news/newsarticle.asp?nid=15574" TARGET=_blank>the rolling stone interview</A><P>thats the RS interview somone wanted...i wont even go into how evil the interviewer is!
Old 06-04-2002, 10:08 PM   #28
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Sting

Here it is! No, based on how this chat went, I seriously doubt they'll try it again.<P>-Maril<BR><A HREF="http://www.billyboyd.net/event.html" TARGET=_blank>Chat #1</A><p>[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 06-05-2002, 09:16 AM   #29
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

For those interested, there's a transcript of the radio show EJW did with a friend in Vancouver, which you can get to (for now) via <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net" TARGET=_blank>www.theonering.net</A> <P>I noticed one thing in particular-- even when EJW's friend seemed to cut rather sharply, EJW didn't return in like manner, but rather made a joke of it. I like that.<p>[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]