The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-31-2002, 08:53 PM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
I Wanna Hold Your Ring!

Do any of you guys know that back in the day the Beatles (one of my favorite bands, so I jest at their expense lovingly) wanted to do their own LotR movie? John was to be Gollum, Paul was to be Frodo, Ringo was to be Sam, and George coveted the role of Gandalf.<P>Tolkien was still alive at that point, and had the movie rights, therefore he wisely told the Fab Four to sod off.<P>Imagine what would have happened had he not!<P>Gollum: "I am the Hobbit! They are the Hobbits-I am the Slinker...GOO GOO GOO JOOB!"<P>Frodo: "Yesterday...All the Ringwraiths seemed so far away..."<P>Sauron: "Oh, I get by with a little help from my Rings. Oh, I get high with a little help from my Rings..."<P>Suddenly, PJ's version seems like a treat from heaven. Oh wait, I already viewed it as such as it is...
Old 03-31-2002, 08:55 PM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I think they mentioned that on the Dicovery Channel special. Now THAT would've been interesting yet wrong in so many ways!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 08:58 PM   #3
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dūm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh my, a <I>Lord of the Rings</I> musical. That would have been interesting... <p>[ March 31, 2002: Message edited by: ElanorGamgee ]
Old 03-31-2002, 09:36 PM   #4
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I would of loved to have seen that...........
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 09:58 PM   #5
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
Actually...there is a piece of music entitled Lord of the Rings, but it's classical, not the Beatles.

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 10:18 PM   #6
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Good Lord. What an exquisitely horrible idea. And what exactly did John think he was saying about himself by casting himself as Gollum? Hmmm. Do you think Yoko would have ended up as Arwen? <P>The only specifically Beatles song that springs to mind is -<P>Frodo: HELP! I need somebody - HELP! Not just anybody! etc. <P>For plain old musical parodies (sorry, not trying to divert the thread, just expand on what was said earlier) how about a selection from "Cabaret"? Specifically -<P>Sauron...<BR>Thinks I'm living out in Buckland<BR>A secluded little house in the north part of the Shire<BR>Sauron...<BR>Doesn't even have an inkling<BR>That I'm fleeing with his treasure through the Forest and the mire.<P>So please, sir<BR>If you run into the Dark Lord<BR>Don't reveal my little errand<BR>Just leave well enough alone.<P>Hush up! Don't tell Sauron<BR>Shush up! Don't tell Sauron<BR>Don't tell Sauron, whatever you do<BR>If you had a secret<BR>You bet I would keep it<BR>I would never tell on you...<P>Etc etc etc.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:25 PM   #7
LadyArwen
Pile O'Bones

LadyArwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Lol! I can just imagine it ... if anyone had seen the Beatles version before reading the book, they would have got a horribly wrong idea about Lord of the Rings.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:29 PM   #8
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
Haha!! Yeah, musicals are interesting aren't they? Part of me says it would be really cool, but the musician in me says I know it'd be butchered. I think the movies are great...but they had to have three of those and each is how long? You'd have to have a Tolkien weekend just to put on the musical...hmm...hehe. Honestly, I'd go see it if it happened, but I think I'd be disappointed...course I'm used to seeing musicals behind the scene.

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 10:41 PM   #9
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Despite the differences in hair color, I would have Yoko as Galadriel (imposing and with quite the temper) and Linda as Arwen (more serene).<BR>Whoa! Am I actually attempting to turn this into a serious discussion?
Old 03-31-2002, 10:47 PM   #10
Lush
Fair and Cold

And Éowyn-she must be Jane Asher, of course! Why, it's all falling into place!...<P>Hm, drawing freaky parallels so late at night, I wonder if it's not time for a drink, and for bed!
Old 03-31-2002, 10:52 PM   #11
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nah, if they had cast Yoko as Galadriel, it would have broken up the Fellowship.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 04:23 AM   #12
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

While the Beatles are still my favourite band after all these years, if they had done LoTR, it would've been a mess a la Magical Mystery Tour. Some great music, but the movie would've been a surreal mess. Think Dali does Shakespeare....<P>Lennon would've made a hilarious Gollum, though!<BR> <P>Yoko as Galadriel....<I>shudder</I><P>They could've probably got their friend, Mick Jagger, to play Sauron, though...he <I>was</I> doing his Satan impersonation at the time...

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 11:59 AM   #13
Aroaraniel
Wight

Aroaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aroaraniel
Sting

You people crack me up!! That would of been sooo funny!
Aroaraniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 12:19 PM   #14
starbreeze

Silmaril

That would have been quite funny!
Old 04-02-2002, 01:56 PM   #15
Orodhromeus
Wight

Orodhromeus has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orodhromeus
Sting

Joan Baez is Goldberry. Ritchie Blackmore gets the role for Beren in the Silmarillion movie...
Orodhromeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 02:00 PM   #16
Lush
Fair and Cold

What's next, Britney Spears as Lśthien in the pop-star remake?<BR>
Old 04-02-2002, 08:18 PM   #17
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

AND Gram Parsons as Denethor!<P>(OK, this is only funny if you're up on dead 70s rock stars...heeeeeee!)
Old 04-02-2002, 09:22 PM   #18
Lossenavariel
Pile O'Bones

Lossenavariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Funny people!!
Old 04-02-2002, 09:54 PM   #19
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Yoko as Galadriel would certainly lend resonance to the line "The Fellowship is breaking. It has already begun." And the audience would shout as one "You would know about that sort of thing, wouldn't you?"<P>For Gollum, how about Tiny Tim? (Never understood his appeal, but maybe you had to be there). "Tiptoe through the Marshes with me..."
Old 04-02-2002, 10:04 PM   #20
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Gee, Kalimac. I always pictured Tiny Tim as Bombadil, with Miss Vicky as Goldberry.<P>Keith Richards as Gollum? Oooooh, no!...John Kay!
Old 04-03-2002, 01:37 AM   #21
Nazgūl Queen
Haunting Spirit

Nazgūl Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<center>Well, at the moment I'm trying to write Lord of the Miserables...<P>Cept I cant decide whether to do the whole les Mis thing with a middleearth scene, or to make Legolas and marius swap places....
Old 04-03-2002, 03:52 PM   #22
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ROFL<P>I love you guys...you cheer me up well. xxx<P>This is a great thread...i only wish I could add something witty too!!
Old 04-03-2002, 03:57 PM   #23
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh - how about...<P>'all we are saying is give peace a chance...' ????<P>quoth the Fellowship and the majority of Middle Earth
Old 04-03-2002, 09:55 PM   #24
Zippo
Animated Skeleton

Zippo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Zippo
Pipe

heh...Thats Funny!
Old 04-04-2002, 05:56 AM   #25
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Whoa. Thread is soooo hilarious. The Yoko as Galadriel bit really cracks me up. But Britney Spears in a pop-remake? hilarious. amusingly hilarious.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 11:05 AM   #26
krishnablue7

Silmaril

Think Dali does Shakespeare.... <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well that sounds REALLY good to me...<BR> I don't think it would've really been that splendid, amazing, wonderful as it sounds<BR> just a good laugh<P> ME's too big and great for anyone to destroy it