The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2005, 12:08 PM   #81
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Gosh, it's been over two years and I don't exactly remember what I was doing. I was searching for LotR-related sites in general with the desire to expand my knowledge of the books I believe, and came across the Downs either by a search engine or a link from another Tolkien site.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:13 PM   #82
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
Which includes establishing the Nearsighted Elves Society.
Heh! That's right! Although I'm sure most of the other Downers wish that I hadn't.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:08 PM   #83
Amrod the Hunter
Haunting Spirit

Amrod the Hunter has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Amrod the Hunter
Pipe

I was searching for quizzes while I was in school and i foun Barrow-Downs.Then I had to look through the site and I saw the forum wich had really great topics,users and so on...And here I am now.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:11 AM   #84
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
For those who remember her, it was all because of Ithaeliel. I had been absolutely obssessed with LOTR for about six months when she told me about this great site with a name generator plus a forum she had just joined ('tis a shame she has ghosted away). I checked the site out a few times, but didn't join until a month later when I was done with school for the year. The rest is history.

I still find it amazing that I was only 13 when I joined (so young) and 14 when I joined my first RPG. Now I'm 18- a legal adult.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:20 AM   #85
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
Neopets.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:47 PM   #86
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
How on earth did you get here from Neopets!?
Old 07-18-2006, 04:30 PM   #87
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

I came across the Barrow-Downs when the moderator of a Lord of the Rings group on MySpace posted a Tolkien fansite list. I wish I knew about it before!
Old 07-19-2006, 10:30 AM   #88
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
How on earth did you get here from Neopets!?
There -was-, I'm not sure it's there anymore, a guild on Neopets dedicated to the Barrowdowns itself. Very cute, however there were just two members (including me) That person messaged me and raved about the site.

Ta-da! I've been haunting the chatroom (and more recently, the forum) for five years now! ...My Neopet is still "dying".
Old 07-19-2006, 12:56 PM   #89
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel
Now I'm 18- a legal adult.
Good luck reaping any benefits until you're about 25. The next few years are nothing more than shorthand for debt accumulation while you try to figure out what sort of career has good potential to pay it off without killing you.

I found the 'Downs stalking my big brother. I'd recently read the Trilogy and possibly seen The Fellowship... can't remember exactly the order. He was being a jerk and wouldn't answer my questions, so I stalked his internet history to www.theonering.net and to here and, quite frankly, I preferred it here.

All I wanted to know was what kind of stone Glorfindel's lil green bridge rock was! That's how addictions start, children. "All I wanted was..."
Old 07-19-2006, 07:56 PM   #90
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I found the forum twice, actually.

I remember a friend telling me about a site that named the top five Tolkien-related websites, and the Downs was listed on it. I was just looking for information in general at the time, and I played with the name generator. I was also drawn to the fanfiction. (The fact that there's a genre heading entitled "Legolas" still scares me...)

I wasn't big into forums (I'm still not) but eventually curiosity and boredom got the better of me and I clicked the link to check it out. One thing led to another, and soon I was involved in the Books forum, then I RP'd for a little while. Sadly, I had to leave after only a short time to deal with RL issues.

I found it the second time some about a year later when someone suggested I Google my name for fun. Turns out I don't actually exist. So, I Googled Roa_Aoife, which is the screenname I use everywhere. I found a link to the Memorial of Members thread, and I found out people actually missed me here. So I decided to make everyone's life more joyous and return.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:25 AM   #91
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me, about 3 years ago
Barrowdowns.com was recommended as a cool Tolkien site by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal in their online section. I'm very impressionable, you know.
Funny how forgetful I am -- I know the above is why I checked out the main page, with the name generator and other goodies, but I don't remember how I made the leap to the forum. I'd never posted on a forum or any other kind of internet group before, so I must have had some special reason to think "Hey, this is the very first internet community I want to become a part of!" I assume I was really bored one day and decided to check out the one part of the site I hadn't been to, and read something and wanted to respond, but I can't actually remember it.

Premature senility.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:17 AM   #92
Rockin_tha_Casbah
Pile O'Bones

Location: Between the Middle of Nowhere and the End of the Line
Rockin_tha_Casbah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rockin_tha_Casbah
Jeez...I can't remember how I found out about this board...

Wait! It's coming back to me!

[LONG, DRAWN OUT STORY]

Back when I still had money and spare time, I was a big GameBoy Freak. I bought the FotR Game (the one from Black Label; Man, that game was horrible.) and I needed a bunch of help on it. (I didn't say I was a good GameBoy Freak.)

I found another message board that dealt with the game, and eventually I stumbled on The BD. This was a couple of years ago; the first movie still hadn't come out yet. I kept reading the boards (I still hadn't registered) until just after RotK came out, then I became a bit too busy. I don't think I even had time to look at a computer, let alone post on a message board.

Now, a couple of weeks ago, I was reading another board I like, and someone linked to a thread here. Something clicked. "Hey...this place seems familiar..."

So, I bit the bullet and registered (yesterday).

[/LONG DRAWN OUT STORY]

And yes, I know I'm using fake codes to add to my post. Just one more rung on the Ladder of Geekdom.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:38 AM   #93
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I was shown this site by a person who was banned from the forums 2-3 years ago...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:53 PM   #94
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I seem to recall that a good friend of mine was once a member of the Downs. She has since forgotten her username and all that and gave up on it, but she told me about it and I checked it out.

After messing around with hangahobbit and the name generator for a while, I found the forum and said, "ooohhh!"

So, that's the fascinating story of how I came to the Downs. Next week: How got his cigar.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:03 AM   #95
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I believe I joined right after I read the trilogy and possily after I watched the third movie. I just googled for LotRs websites and this one looked fun. I read some of the fanfiction that used to be on the front page, played around with hanghobbit, then noticed the forums. I joined under Wilwarin Bluemoon, then forgot my password, couldn't get it back and joined again under this name. Now I have the 'Downs as my home page, so it's the first thing I see when I get onto the internet, and I just go right to the forums, rairly do anything else on the main page.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:27 AM   #96
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Now I have the 'Downs as my home page, so it's the first thing I see when I get onto the internet, and I just go right to the forums, rairly do anything else on the main page.
Same here... except the forum is my homepage.

I found the Downs from some other people at school who were fooling around in computer class and found the quizzes. I kept coming back mostly because of the fanfiction, and also sometimes the quizzes and games - I was around off and on for about a year and a half before joining the forum.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:03 PM   #97
Mírfain

Question

Lets see I can owe my finding and signing up here to my friend who is trying to convert me to lotr. If not for her I would have never found this place. i still kinda have no clue what I am doing on here. I shall try though!!