The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2003, 09:27 PM   #161
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Good bye old WoT quote, hello new one! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I really did like this one, though. Love those prophecies.

Oh, yeah, I still have my army recruitment link... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark and the sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
*sniff* Perhaps I'll resurrect it someday...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:23 AM   #162
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I just killed off my Matrix quotes... for a while. They'll be back. For now it's Douglas Adams for me... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~Menelien

Edit: Nah. We now have a new dead:
Quote:
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
I love the quote, but I just felt like killing it... *curves hand protectively over axe* [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~Menelien

[ June 24, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 06-28-2003, 03:17 PM   #163
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I haven't had this sig for an overly long time, but it's time to change. Farewell, sweet words!
Quote:
One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name.
Peace
Old 06-28-2003, 05:14 PM   #164
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd only had these ones for a short time, but the Moxy Fruvous one is part of one of my favourite songs:
Quote:
All generalizations are false, including this one.
~Let's make Friday part of the weekend and give every new baby chocolate eclairs~ Moxy Fruvous
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 01:30 PM   #165
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

RIP:
Quote:
You can run, but you can't hide. "What did I care if numbers of nameless and faceless people and creatures were slaughtered in the vague future, if in the here and now you were alive?"
The second quote was HP 5... once again, rest in peace. (Or rot in pieces?)

~Menelien
Old 07-02-2003, 03:30 AM   #166
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Time to lay to rest another old favorite...

Quote:
“Well written words can reach far beyond the bounds of their own meaning, bringing visions, sounds, and sensations that one cannot wrap his arms about or fully comprehend; a ponderous state of awe and wonder.”
Thanks Phantom, for letting me borrow it. I'll surely ressurrect it sometime in the future. But for now, me and my Shelley are ok together [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 01:06 PM   #167
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My old sig featured a haunting melody that helped get our choir straight ones for the UIL competition:
Quote:
The waters move so freely and know us by name. Their course is oft unseemly, whose choices show no shame. An ebb and flow sublime, erasing every line of all the images in time. Feel the waters running at your feet, taste the stream its flavor bittersweet. Water so warm, pure as of gold; yet when we touch turns cold.
Now I have an excerpt from a book I'm reading called The Cat with an Emerald Eye. I think it's a little witty. And "Purr of Power" is the phrase of the day!
I also got a pic to match. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ July 09, 2003: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 03:12 PM   #168
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

And now I lay this one to rest - it doesn't have any sort of sentimental value, just that I've had it for a very very long time.

Of all the Great Ones who dwell in this world the Elves hold Varda in most reverence and love. Elbereth they name her, and they call upon her name out of the shadows of Middle-earth, and uplift it in song at the rising of the waters.

Still, time for a change.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:21 PM   #169
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Now I lay this one to rest. I liked it, it served me well, and is with its ancestors. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust...alleluia, alleluia, alleluia. Ok, enough.
Quote:
We laughed out loud til we cried/
And the tears were sweet/
Midnight melted to morning/
A moment faded to memory/
All these days just slip away through our fingers
Peace
Old 07-04-2003, 01:23 AM   #170
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Quote:
"She says we don't really understand it, but there are many things we don't understand, and we just have to do the best we can with the knowledge we have." -Calvin
"Sharing with people, I'm always impressed by how they share back." -Bill Waterson
...I said I wasn't going to cry, I said I wasn't going to cry [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] ...

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I think I'm going to change my avatar too.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 03:13 PM   #171
Cúdae
Wight

Cúdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cúdae
Sting

I am, at long last, throwing off the tyranny of my ruling quote even as my forefathers did 227 years ago on the fourth of July!

Okay, so my quote wasn't exactly tyrannous. And I'm not exactly throwing it off, just trading it in for a new one by the same people and in the same song. Here it is anyway:
Quote:
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on. --from "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin
Hmm, maybe I'll follow the example of MLD and change my avatar too. Although, then I won't know it's me posting, so maybe not.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:56 PM   #172
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I just remembered something that used to be in my signature before the 3-line limit was set:
Quote:
Tolkien wrote about rings called Hibberts. These Hibberts were worn by dorky Felfs who glowed when Sting, the singer, was around.
It was a dumb inside joke, but I have to get it down while I remember it -- it's too funny to forget. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
maybe I'll follow the example of MLD and change my avatar too. Although, then I won't know it's me posting
I know exactly how you feel! That same thought has kept me from changing my signature, too (I always look for the word 'Galadriel' at the end to find my posts).
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 12:34 PM   #173
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Sting

Had this one for a while, and rather liked it, but all good things must pass...

Quote:
Too much sanity is bad for your mental health.
Does this perfume make me smell fat?
I think, therefore I thtay out of the thwimming pool.
Also, another bit I had for a while:

Quote:
**Smeagol's other precious**
Old 07-08-2003, 07:49 PM   #174
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
"I’m a freak to the core!" I look at the rule book and say "I don’t think so." "The only thing worse than losing your mind... is finding it again."
And...
Quote:
It's a good life- that's what I'm told. But everything, it all just feels the same... -GC
Now changed for my opinion on life. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Swan song,
~Menelien
Old 07-09-2003, 08:23 PM   #175
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Location: my computer chair, being smothered by my impossibly large cat
Lëowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lëowen
Shield

My siggy that I just killed:

Quote:
Llamas are very dangerous, so if you see one where people are swimming, you shout: LOOK OUT! THERE ARE LLAMAS!!
From Monty Python, of course. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ July 09, 2003: Message edited by: Lëowen ]
Old 07-10-2003, 02:51 PM   #176
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm finally retiring my sig (sniff, sniff)). It's the one I started with and I think I shall miss it. I'm replacing it with one of my favorite quotes.

Quote:
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken forever do they pass into song.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:57 AM   #177
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
Life is full of cactus, but why do I always sit in the prickles?
*audible sigh* RIP, my friend. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Swan song,
~Menelien
Old 07-19-2003, 11:06 AM   #178
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Boots

Come to think of it… I actually have never changed my sig.. I don’t know why…
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 05:50 PM   #179
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

RIP, all my old siggys:

Quote:
'I liked white better.' ~Gandalf, to Saruman about his rainbow bathrobe.
Quoth the Raven "Nevermore."
Quote:
'What's taters precious, eh, what's taters?''PO-TA-TOES!'
There are three kinds of people in this world: people who can count and people who can't.
I'm going to end this post with the newset addition to my sig, a quote from Faust.

Quote:
Holy angel in Heaven blessed... My spirit longs with thee to rest!
Quite appropriate for a graveyard, no?
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:38 PM   #180
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I lay to rest my "hope"less signature quotes:
Quote:
Ónen i-Estel Edain, ú-chebin estel anim.
I gave Hope to the Dúnedain, I have kept no hope for myself. (JRRT)
I attempt a hopeless healing / Bleed again with each new day. (David King)
I have chosen something a little more "hope"ful.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 04:03 PM   #181
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Mine that I had for about an hour:
Quote:
Pobodies Nerfect.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:48 PM   #182
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Alas, as amusing as my old sig was, it was too long, so I lay it to rest in both its forms, way too long and just too long, here:

Too long: Maedhros bent over his father's lifeless body and heard an echoing voice: "This elf will explode in 5...4…3…2…1…BOOM!" And behold, the Sons of Fëanor were covered in a black dust and their father spontaneously burst into flame and disappeared entirely!" --from "Of Fëanor, the Exploding Elf"

and Way too long: "Maedhros bent over the lifeless body of his father and heard a small, echoing voice from deep within Fëanor's chest, as if Mandos himself spoke from afar: "This elf will explode in 5...4…3…2…1…BOOM!" And behold, a great noise overcame the Sons of Fëanor, and they were covered in a black dust. They stood silent as their father spontaneously burst into flame and disappeared entirely!" --from the alternate Quenta Silmarillion, "Of Fëanor, the Exploding Elf"

And now for something completely different...

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 06:38 AM   #183
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Sting

I love this song from the movie Henry V, but I think I've had it quite long enough:

Quote:
Non nobis, Domine, Domine, non nobis, Domine,
Sed nomini, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!
Now for a quote I ran across in my Bible reading two nights ago. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2003, 11:47 AM   #184
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I really liked this one; it was pretty cool. And quite appropriate for the Downs.

I fled, and cried out Death;
Hell trembled at the hideous name, and sighed
From all her caves, and back resounded Death.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:24 PM   #185
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

I lay to rest "Life is like an analogy" for my newest, which is from The Raven, o'course.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 10:39 AM   #186
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Doesn't somebody already have that quote in their sig? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Anyhow, I plan to kill off this sig within the day, or possibly tomorrow:
Quote:
After this, the unavoidable kiss, where the minty fresh death breath is sure to outlast this catastrophy, dance with me... -Jason Mraz
Swan song,
-Menelien

[ July 30, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 07-28-2003, 01:29 PM   #187
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rot in pieces, love.
Quote:
One cup to the dead already;
Hurrah for the next that dies!
Old 07-29-2003, 06:44 PM   #188
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I get tired of these things fast...
Quote:
"Do you have anything you'd rather be doing than marching UP and DOWN the SQUARE?!?!?"
Why, Monty Python, of course!
Old 07-30-2003, 08:26 PM   #189
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh, the horror! I've changed my signature. Here's my beloved year-and-a-half-old sig, which I'm sure I'll be returning to shortly:
Quote:
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Rest well, my darling.
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:15 PM   #190
Beren87

Sting

Quote:
Doesn't somebody already have that quote in their sig?
I hope not! I haven't seen it around anywhere.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:52 AM   #191
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Yes, somebody does. This took me ages to find, so be very grateful. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Quote:
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."
In Dreams, we will meet again...
~*Eruwen*~
Eruwen's sig. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Swan song,
-Menelien
Old 07-31-2003, 01:02 PM   #192
Beren87

Sting

Well then, I guess you could say I lay it to rest.

Great minds think alike, I suppose. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2003, 07:22 PM   #193
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Quote:
Though I know I'll never lose affection/ For people and things that went before/ I know I'll often stop and think about them/ But in my life I love you more.
Lovely quote, lovelier song...rest in peace. I'll probably resurrect this one soon enough.
Peace
Old 08-03-2003, 02:35 AM   #194
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Quote:
Watch where you spit/I'd advise you wait until it's over/Then you got hit/And you shoulda known better/
And we die young/Faster we run/Down, down, down you're rollin'/Watch the blood float in the muddy sewer/
Take another hit/And bury your brother/And we die young/Faster we run/
That signature was from a song called We Die Young, by Alice in Chains. The song was about gang violence.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 10:46 AM   #195
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

I knew this one wouldn't last long...
Quote:
And because I am of the people, I understand the people, I am sorrowful with their sorrow, I am hungry with their desire...
Padraic Pearse
Peace
Old 08-05-2003, 02:23 PM   #196
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Quote:
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity. ~W.B. Yeats
Good grief...I just can't seem to keep a good sig anymore. Ah well, it's good in it's own right. Farewell.
Peace
Old 08-06-2003, 04:23 PM   #197
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
All know that he who would ride a dragon must risk a great burning
Wise words from Gwarn the loremaster... RIP
EDIT: Is it just me or does it take some time before the sig changes in your posts when you change it in your profile?

[ August 06, 2003: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]
Old 08-06-2003, 09:23 PM   #198
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

As far as I know, the sig changes in all of your old posts as soon as you make your first post with your new sig, if that makes any sense.
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 04:56 AM   #199
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I shall lay this one to rest...
Quote:
but he knows the way that I take;
when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:21 PM   #200
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Here's one recently discarded:
Quote:
The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
I still like it but I felt the need for something more sing song.
Sadly, I cannot remember right now the exact wording of my first signature, so I can give it a proper burial. Sorry. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]