The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2022, 05:41 PM   #41
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Same!
Cheers! All arguments, disagreements and diverging perspectives aside, I am very glad to see so many people here, and would not be on any other forum. ^.^
Old 09-15-2022, 08:07 PM   #42
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Oh, no, sorry Boro for being unclear but I was not in any way referring to Tolkien. I was referring to critics, fans, and readers of him and of the various media that derive from his work.

Talking about writers is far more complex than talking about critics. At heart I was taking issue with loremasters who believe they can unreservedly and transparently speak directly about what Tolkien thought and intended, to the detriment of any other possible interpretations by other fans, specifically about RoP.

You are of course correct that Tolkien was a 20th Century writer. There's lots of material about that I can add to your list but that's a topic for another thread. And sorry about the linguistic theory lingo. I was directing my thoughts towards loremasters here who I anticipated would be familiar with it and not general readers. I'll aim to be less opaque in future posts.
Thank you for the explanation, Bethberry. And while you did not want to dive into what influences a writer, it did spark a few thoughts related to your questions.

I think as fans of Tolkien we all acknowledge he had a variety of influences. As all art reflects the experiences of its creator. I don't think adaptations should be an exception. What I mean is the people adapting Tolkien (Jackson, Bakshi, Payne/McKay...etc) were clearly influenced by him (hence creating an adaptation) but Tolkien isn't their only influence. As fans of Tolkien, we all know he had many influences in his writing. As readers and critics of the people who adapt Tolkien, I don't know if I'd call it a trap, but I think we get into a single-track mind. We (or at least I do) go in thinking if it's not the way Tolkien described it/wrote it then obviously the adapter doesn't know what they're doing, doesn't understand Tolkien...etc, etc. I think it's important to acknowledge that adapters of Tolkien, will also have a variety of experiences and other influences, just as Tolkien had a multitude of them.

Last edited by Boromir88; 09-15-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 03:02 PM   #43
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I posted this on Huinesoron's thread on the first episode but that thread likely will be falling by the wayside as new episodes appear, so perhaps this comparison might more fruitfully be posted here where folks are generally discussing Galadriel and what we bring to interpreting her. I must thank the Downer formerly known as Lush for bringing the painting to my attention. She said that when she saw the painting in the State Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow she shivered and felt the floor boards creak under her, the painting was that moving.

Galadriel with the elven helmets from RoP.

And this painting by the Russian artist Vasily Vereshchagin, "The Apotheosis of War". The 19th C painting is famous for complaints made that it criticismed the Russian military; it and a second painting by Vereshchagin were not allowed in a Moscow exhibit.

I leave comments to any who might wish to interpret the similarities. Also, I fixed the sizing.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:34 PM   #44
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
....As readers and critics of the people who adapt Tolkien, I don't know if I'd call it a trap, but I think we get into a single-track mind. We (or at least I do) go in thinking if it's not the way Tolkien described it/wrote it then obviously the adapter doesn't know what they're doing, doesn't understand Tolkien...etc, etc. I think it's important to acknowledge that adapters of Tolkien, will also have a variety of experiences and other influences, just as Tolkien had a multitude of them.
Good point, Boro. I've done some sleuthing to see which films and film-makers Jackson has said influenced him.
  1. First of all, the animator Ray Harryhausen.
    Films:
    1958 Dracula
    Jason and the Argonauts
    The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
    Dawn of the Dead
    1933 King Kong
    Hammer Horror films
    Thunderbirds tv show
    Ridley Scott's Legend
    Croneberg's The Fly

I'm sure there must be others. But I certainly now would like to learn more about Ray Harryhausen. I know only two of these well and have vague memories of the original King Kong, so I really can't discuss how these might have influence PJ's film-making.

For folks who are interested in this topic there is the biography written by Brian Sibley (yes, a fellow Downer!), Peter Jackson: A Film-maker's Journey

Last edited by Bęthberry; 09-16-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 05:12 PM   #45
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I grew up watching those Ray Harryhausen films based on the Greek myths, standard UK telly filler for kids in the school holidays, and also great nightmare material, along with the non-canon Doctor Who films and slightly creepy folksy stories imported from the 'Eastern Bloc'. Marvellous stuff, apart from that horrific Cyclops

Jackson deliberately chose to use a lot of physical SFX due to his love of Harryhausen and you can even see that creepy, jerky effect during the scenes with Warg attacks.

Anyway, I'm now waiting for Bethberry to elaborate on that comment about Tolkien being a 20th century writer and make a thread. It's been a bugbear of mine for, oh, decades now that some people see him as a pastiche medieval writer when he really is not. His work is thoroughly modern, the product of a man who saw some of the worst of the 20th century, and filled with that same sense of loss that his contemporaries also filled their writing, music, art, and architecture with.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:48 AM   #46
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Thanks for the information about Ray Harryhausen Bethberry and Lal. I remember watching Jackson's King Kong part way but never being able to get all the way through it. It felt way too long. I did watch Heavenly Creatures once, which is probably his best movie besides the LOTR films.

Before Lord of the Rings, Jackson was primarily known for his low-budget horror films and gore. Those never really interested me to watch, but what I did like about his experience in those films (and why I think Fellowship of the Ring is the best movie he's done) is he knows how to work with a limited special effects budget. So, with the Fellowship, I don't know quite the words I'm searching for, it looked grittier, more real. He relied on clever camera tricks and props to change the scale and make the hobbit actors appear smaller than Gandalf. Making the tallest actor, John Rhys-Davies look like one of the shortest characters. But as we get into TTT and ROTK, and definitely all The Hobbit films, he relied more and more on CGI and you can tell a big difference in the quality of the films.