The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-17-2002, 04:16 PM   #1
Bradley Roy

Sting The portrayal of Bree

I would like to begin by saying that I love the movie and don't really mind the differences from the book. One thing I did NOT like however was the way they did Bree and the Prancing Pony in particular. In the books the Prancing Pony seems to be a very nice place. Hob and Nob are great and there are Hobbits in the main room. People are friendly for the most part. In the movie the Inn is dark and gothic, quite unsettling. Does any one else think they portrayed it wrong?
Old 09-17-2002, 04:23 PM   #2
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I would have to agree. When I read the book, Bree seemed like a very friendly place.

Apparently, PJ wanted the viewers to feel that since Bree was away from the Shire, the hobbits were no longer near that safe and comfortable place they have always known and loved.

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 04:44 PM   #3
Bradley Roy

Sting

That would make sense. Still I wish it would have been the same, oh well, cant have everything.<BR>Thanks for posting
Old 09-18-2002, 12:36 AM   #4
Donisile Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Donisile Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Donisile Of Mirkwood
Sting

Yeah, i thought the exact same thing, if they had included the song,when Frodo puts the ring on everyone was very suspicous and hostile,y couldn't they have done that?
Old 09-18-2002, 01:18 AM   #5
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

Hmm i think PJ made Bree like that intentionally...I think that it was made to seem hostile in order to ellucidate how insecure the hobbits were at that moment...That was until Strider came into the picture ...But otherwise it was weird...

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 01:28 AM   #6
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OK, I'll agree that P.J.'s version was a little over the top, but you have to remember that film is a <I>visual</I> medium. It's a little hard to portray what a character is thinking without using a lot of boring "voice-over" exposition.<P>So you have to show it. And I think what Jackson was trying to show is what Bree would look like to a bunch of tired, hungry, frightened Halflings who had never been out of the Shire.<P>Sometimes I think Tolkien kind of glosses over or tones down the Hobbit's reactions to the rest of Middle-earth. I mean, just think: you've spent your entire life in a world where everything and everybody is sized just right for you, and suddenly you are thrust into another world, where everyone is twice your height, and you have to cope with everything around you being geared to <I>those</I> people. Stairs and chairs alone would be a pain in the butt to deal with. <P>I can't help but think that sometimes the Hobbits must have got tired of being surrounded by giant freaks with over-active pineal glands.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 08:12 AM   #7
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I would agree with <B>Birdie</B> that some of PJ's work at the Pony is over the top--to me, it is degree of physical intimidation Strider shows Frodo. (Hmm. Was it this scene that made the split between PJ and the original actor chosen for Strider/Aragorn?) <P>It is true that there is much in Bree that sounds pleasant. We are told that here, and here alone, hobbits and men have carved a peaceable coexistence. Butterbur has a bluff good heartiness. But he's rough around the edges.<P>Also clear is the fact that Bree is a liminal place, a place on the border, a crossroads, a place where people and things and cultures mix, a place of transition over borders and boundaries. "As strange as news from Bree" is one of the local sayings in Eastfarthing. <P>There are also lots of hints that times in The Shire and Bree are turning bad and people recognize this change for the worse--or the unknown and are thus taking more precaution. There are Southerners in town and in the Pony itself, chatting up Bill Ferny.<P>So, it seems to me that the chapter, "At the Prancing Pony" is one of the places where easy distinctions between good and bad are hard to make. The Pony isn't cosy although it is superficially hospitable. This is also true of the Old Forest and omitting from the film the lessons learnt there put greater onus on bringing out this aspect at The Pony. There is no sudden line between good and bad, safety and danger, but a journey where evil becomes more and more concrete.<P><BR>Respectfully,<BR>Bethberry<p>[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 12-09-2002, 11:44 AM   #8
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

I actually liked the way Bree and the Prancing Pony was portrayed, and the fact it was raining added something to it along with Peter Jackson munching a carrot.<P>The Pony was very much a mixed establishment, with Sarumann's agents starting to nose about and such. It was indeed a place of general friendlyness by Barliman, yet questionable folk visited as well as the fair.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 07:34 AM   #9
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Jackson, also didn't do himslef any favours by averting any possible reacist overtones, whihc could come in the latter movies. The majority of the Breelanders are dark skinned, and so are a lot of Hobbits in the shire, yet P.J didn't pick up on it. I wouldn't want anyone acussing Tolkien of being racist, when he wasn't.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 11:18 AM   #10
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

One of the embarassments, <B>Snowdog</B>, of having old threads brought up, is finding typos one missed the first time round. : /<P>Is that rain Jackson's nod to Goldberry's washing day, since he omitted the House of Bombadil? It's a darker vision of seasonal change than what Tolkien gives us, though.<P>Good to see you here, <B>Snowdog</B>, even with a new sig. <P>Bethberry
Old 12-10-2002, 12:29 PM   #11
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Jackson, also didn't do himslef any favours by averting any possible reacist overtones, whihc could come in the latter movies. The majority of the Breelanders are dark skinned, and so are a lot of Hobbits in the shire, yet P.J didn't pick up on it. I wouldn't want anyone acussing Tolkien of being racist, when he wasn't. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Eh, I don't understand. I thought the only dark skinned people in the books were the Druadan, Haradrim and Easterlings.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:40 PM   #12
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dűm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I totally agree. Bree is supposed to be cheery, with hobbits and men being friends ect. In the movie the Prancing Pony looks unfriendly, univiting, and dark which just isn't the way it was described in the books. I did like Butterber however.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:24 AM   #13
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

What? The easterlings wern't black, we don't kniow exactly what colour skin they are. The Dunlendings were black, and the men of Bree were descendants of them. Some of the house of Beor and the House of Bor were black, and they were good.

Old 12-12-2002, 07:26 AM   #14
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Oh and the most numerous group of Hobbbits, I think it was the Harfoots were said to have nut-brown skin.

Old 12-12-2002, 12:27 PM   #15
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bree was a fairly nice place in the books, but you also have to remember that these are hobbits. Sam had misgivings about it when he first saw that the Prancing pony was 2 stories high, but it turned out to be O.K. in the end. There were some suspicious men there, Bill Ferny for one. <P>In the movie they more just omitted the cheery part rather than getting the whole thing wrong. They did a great job at showing how big of a world it was for these 4 little hobbits. In the book this is also showed in the old forest, but in the movie they don't show that part so they have to make up for it in other places. The story just isn't the same if the hobbits were always these brave warriers. One of the themes in LOTR I think is that little people can do big things. You have to show that the people are little before you can have them do big things.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:56 AM   #16
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think you guys missed something. Yes, there were not any hobbits in the Prancying Pony, but Butterbur does give somewhat of a hint that hobbits may be around.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Good evening little Masters. If your seeking acomidations, we have some nice, cozy hobbit-sized rooms availible. Mr...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>