The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 02:04 PM   #401
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Nothing, davem, except that you are now deserving of a place at Elrond's Council.
That's all very well, but I'm wondering if I should accept - I've just got settled in Aragorn's Court, & it would mean packing up all my stuff & moving hundreds of miles north.

I suppose I must accept my destiny, though (awaits commiserations from all my former coleagues in A's C....)
Old 12-21-2004, 02:11 PM   #402
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Have we to pass round a leaving card and start up a collection for you?

I suppose I ought to be the second person to congratulate you...
Old 12-21-2004, 02:29 PM   #403
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Have we to pass round a leaving card and start up a collection for you?

I suppose I ought to be the second person to congratulate you...
All contributions gratefully accepted. I'll be waiting for the rest of you - I'll tidy up the place -these Elves all seem to have their minds on 'higher things' ... The dust in here is terrible...
Old 12-21-2004, 02:37 PM   #404
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Oooh, Elrond's council, whoever thought of that reputation liner congrats to thee.

Also, congrats Davem, you might want to take them rep jewels with you it could get lonely. Considering you are the only one at that reputation stage (so far) and seeing that Elrond isn't around anymore.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:41 PM   #405
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
and seeing that Elrond isn't around anymore.
I suspect that's the reason for all the dust - the boss's away, so the staff just let things slide.....
Old 12-21-2004, 02:42 PM   #406
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Thumbs up yay for Davem!

Congrats Davem on your new position!

~Another thoughtfully respective unique Ka post~

Last edited by THE Ka; 12-21-2004 at 02:44 PM. Reason: More to add...as usual, i'm such a late bloomer...
Old 12-21-2004, 04:30 PM   #407
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
I'm pretty sure, however, that the next level will have something to do with the Elves -- either "an Elf-friend of Rivendell/Elrond" or "worthy of a gift from Galadriel."
I called it, way back in post 284.

I think that should earn me some positive rep, despite my appalling absence of late.

Congrats davem!
Old 12-21-2004, 04:53 PM   #408
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

Quote:
I called it, way back in post 284.

I think that should earn me some positive rep, despite my appalling absence of late.
Well, I don't know about a positive rep Fordhim (unless I benefit in some way ), but it will earn you a congrats.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:55 PM   #409
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Congratulations and fare thee well, davem. You'll be sorely missed in Aragorn's Court.

But perhaps you can at last reveal the truth - did Elladan and Elrohir stay?
Old 12-21-2004, 08:41 PM   #410
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dűm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Well, I don't know about a positive rep Fordhim (unless I benefit in some way ),
What's this? A sordid back-room deal involving the exchange of little green jewels, to the mutual benefit of the conspirators?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:01 PM   #411
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar-ancalime
What's this? A sordid back-room deal involving the exchange of little green jewels, to the mutual benefit of the conspirators?
For the longer dead, I would be interested to know howm many posts they have made since the rep system started. Some people seem to have incredible averages..... (ie points per post)

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 12-22-2004, 08:26 PM   #412
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Some people seem to have incredible averages.....
I guess that I just take the scattergun approach. If you make enough posts, a few of them will appeal to someone or other ...
Old 12-23-2004, 07:50 AM   #413
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

It appears Davem is going to have some company soon, congrats SpM, on your new promotion.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:44 AM   #414
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
was it something I said? But at least I get a choice of chairs

Old 12-23-2004, 12:52 PM   #415
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I hope you parked your car safely, Mithalwen, we don't want anyone getting run down by careering vehicles on Rath Dinen. You'll have the health & safety rep out there blowing a fuse.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:34 PM   #416
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
**gasp**

Saucie has overtaken both davem and Fordie.

I didn't know it could be done.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:11 PM   #417
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
Finally - a deserving leader! Congratulations Sauce
Old 12-23-2004, 02:44 PM   #418
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Things are back to normal. . .

I remember the very first day the rep system was turned on I looked to see who was in the lead and it was SaucepanMan. It stayed that way for quite a while as I recall, until Saucey disappeared on us for a couple of weeks and some other upstarts used that time to stage a coup de Downs.

It's nice to see that the King has indeed Returned.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:35 PM   #419
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
**gasp**

I didn't know it could be done.
Spam. Definitely spam.

But good spam. After all, he's Spm. Well done, old boy. *bows*
Old 12-24-2004, 11:11 AM   #420
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Aha!The Scattergun approach works!

As evidenced by the fact that this development follows a long session in which I made a multitude of posts (accompanied by a nice bottle of red wine ). Although the main contributor was (ironically) my "Repping Game" post in Lalwendë's Barrow Downs Products thread. Indeed, 'tis my humour rather than my erudition (such as it is) that has contributed most to my rep tally.

I shall enjoy it while it lasts - which, I strongly suspect, shall not be very long, as there are many others whose posts are far more deserving, on a consistent basis, than mine.

In the meantime, many thanks for your kind comments.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:16 AM   #421
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
I hope you parked your car safely, Mithalwen, we don't want anyone getting run down by careering vehicles on Rath Dinen. You'll have the health & safety rep out there blowing a fuse.

Ok it was nothing to do with bad parking and the only person who was run over was me ..... in a desperate and successful attempt to prevent injury to anyone else's person or property... it's the season of goodwill can we forget the whole sordid matter now...frankly I wish I had never mentioned it...... I have a clean licence and maximum NCB... anyway I am sure like horses, cars are confined to the lower levels of the city. And my current jalopy would not cope with the gradient..

Old 12-25-2004, 05:45 PM   #422
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
That's all very well, but I'm wondering if I should accept - I've just got settled in Aragorn's Court, & it would mean packing up all my stuff & moving hundreds of miles north.
Well, how terribly inconvenient. You most certainly should decline then. Elrond, old chum, while I am most gratified to recieve your invitation, well, I'd really rather not - rather inconvenient, quite settled here in court and all, doncha know...

Congratulations to all those at Elrond's council, even if I am rather late
Old 12-26-2004, 12:16 AM   #423
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Congratulations to davem, Saucepan Man, and Fordim! Double congrats to Fordie, for guessing the next level correctly. ^_^

*throws confetti, and gives gold stars and Shiny Wrapping Paper™ to davem, SpM, and Fordim*

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 12-26-2004, 12:06 PM   #424
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
it's the season of goodwill can we forget the whole sordid matter now...frankly I wish I had never mentioned it......
Mithalwen - OK, I've forgotten it... It's my festive gift to you! Anyway, I persuaded them to have some lifts installed - you know, it's terribly hard on the feet going up and down those seven levels. Now there's more room for us anyway and we can nab all the best chairs.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:35 PM   #425
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Mithalwen - OK, I've forgotten it... It's my festive gift to you! Anyway, I persuaded them to have some lifts installed - you know, it's terribly hard on the feet going up and down those seven levels. Now there's more room for us anyway and we can nab all the best chairs.

Why thank you - it will make a welcome adition to the actual gifts I received (somewhat scarily dominated by footcare and de-tox products - what are my friends trying to tell me? ) But I was counting on the slopes of Minas Tirith to get me fit as the hill of La Cotonne in St Etienne did a dozen years ago - although hill walking does encourage distressingly chunky calves. Anyway the first arrived were bound to have grabbed the best chairs (as in school staffrooms) so on that means Fordim and Davem's are the ones to go for ...I am anticipating an indefinate stay so I may as well make myself comfortable ...

Old 01-02-2005, 08:52 AM   #426
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

I never welcomed you Mith into Aragorn's court, so welcome, tis an honor to have you.

Also, Congrats to Fordhim on your new promotion, I guess that means leaving us behind without a 2nd consideration?
Old 01-03-2005, 01:03 AM   #427
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I'm just wondering...who was (or were) bumped off to allocate places at the Council of Elrond?
Old 01-03-2005, 05:31 AM   #428
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

I believe so far it's just SpM, Davem, and Fordhim. I have a feeling Lal is getting close, just a thought.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:55 PM   #429
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I am completely ashamed and embarrassed to have overtaken The Squatter.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:11 PM   #430
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Oh my, what's this! Fordim and Sauce now have four shiny baubles at Elrond's Council and have overtaken davem's lead.

Is this where the jewels part way with the place? Or am I confusing things? Previously, didn't a jewel move one up to a new sight?
Old 01-06-2005, 12:13 PM   #431
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
I never welcomed you Mith into Aragorn's court, so welcome, tis an honor to have you.

:
Tis an honour to be in such company ...... and I think we have dispatched teh cigar smokers to Rivendell ... lol .... maybe we should redecorate ?

Old 01-07-2005, 04:46 AM   #432
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Tis an honour to be in such company ...... and I think we have dispatched teh cigar smokers to Rivendell ... lol .... maybe we should redecorate ?
Um, don't forget the little boggart in the corner with her nasssty habit. The ceiling's gone quite yellow above my chair. There's no point getting the emulsion out just yet...
Old 01-07-2005, 08:48 AM   #433
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I was assuming that you didn't actually smoke cigars ..... and alas I fear that we will not have the pleasure of your company too long you will be off and gone to the more elevated smoking room of Rivendell ... obvious now why Elrond held the council on the terrace (but kept the decanters in his own office ... lol elf after my own heart).

Old 01-07-2005, 09:22 AM   #434
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
I was assuming that you didn't actually smoke cigars ..... and alas I fear that we will not have the pleasure of your company too long you will be off and gone to the more elevated smoking room of Rivendell
Oh I'll be here a while longer with my cheroots, stinking the place out. Well, now and then, anyways, you do tend to get odd looks as a 'lady' enjoying such a thing. I think that the 'Trinity' have gone up and away and far beyond the rest of us. Though davem might be upset to find you assuming he smokes cigars as he is a keen pipe smoker.

Quote:
obvious now why Elrond held the council on the terrace
Now there's an idea, outdoor meetings! I might be able to contribute rather than daydream about the next break when I can get my next fix! (another reason not to start, folks - felt I had to do my 'public duty' health warning bit again there).
Old 01-07-2005, 04:08 PM   #435
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

I'm afraid to say that Elrond's Council looks to be an altogether more formal and stuffy place than Aragorn's court. When I first arrived here I doffed my smoking jacket and was looking forward to lounging around in my underwear with a can of beer, just like in the good old days when it was just davem, SpM and I in Aragorn's Court.

But alas, Elrond came out and offered me sherry which he then poured into an elegant-yet-disappointingly-little crystal glass, and then Arwen showed up so I had to keep my pants on, and when I asked for some pipeweed I was told that Bilbo was all out and had given it up anyway as he is getting on in years. . .

I can't wait for Lalwende and Bethberry to get here so the party can really get started. . .hmmm. . .

*Fordim scurries off, then returns*

Nope, drat it -- have to spread some more rep around before they can get any more from me.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:22 AM   #436
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

Yeah, and if I hear "Tra-la-la-lalley, Here down in the valley" much more, Mandos is suddenly going to have a lot of business on his hands ...

Pshaw! Elves!

Must be the lack of pipeweed making me irritable ...
Old 01-08-2005, 10:41 AM   #437
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Is there a way to view all the reputation points you've received, not just the most recent?
Old 01-08-2005, 11:29 AM   #438
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
I think that, once a member has reached the highest allowable level in reputation, he or she should go back to zero, much like the return to white belt in Bruce Lee's martial art Jeet Kun Do

Cheers,
Lyta (who sends congratulations to all who have reached higher levels than she...oops! That means about half of everybody!) Heh heh...
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 01-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #439
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I fear that would be far too depressing for those of us in the pack ..... since I am sure our frontrunners would garner points at a depressing rate and would soon start to lap .....

Old 01-08-2005, 11:49 AM   #440
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Great Barrow-Downs Reuptation Race!
Around the Downs In 80 Reps!