The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #2441
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Serious Cat don't like people putting mustard power in his milk.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #2442
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It looks more as if Serious Cat had been on Extreme Makeover ..new teeth and facelift.. more Frivolous Cat ..or dare I say even Superficial Cat

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-02-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:14 PM   #2443
Boo Radley
Wight

Boo Radley has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
It looks more as if Serious Cat had been on Extreme Makeover ..new teeth and facelift.. more Frivolous Cat ..or dare I say even Superficial Cat

Superfacial?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:21 PM   #2444
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
originary

Upon considerable and considered reflection, I don't think mustard is a causative factor here at all. In fact, I think many of the comments here could possibly have things backwards. Just what is the cart and what is the horse?

I'm inclined to think that Serious Cat is the one who results from some sort of myofacial reconstruction. The odontogenic quality of my avatar suggests a precursive condition remedied by cosmetic/orthodontic means in order to produce the harmonious features which formulate the serenity in Serious Cat's demeanour.

In short, I think Serious Cat is the cut and tuck. I bet there's even a retainer in his mouth, having finished the braces stage.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:06 AM   #2445
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I have problems distinguishing TM and Beth at firt sight...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:51 AM   #2446
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
Upon considerable and considered reflection, I don't think mustard is a causative factor here at all. In fact, I think many of the comments here could possibly have things backwards. Just what is the cart and what is the horse?

I'm inclined to think that Serious Cat is the one who results from some sort of myofacial reconstruction. The odontogenic quality of my avatar suggests a precursive condition remedied by cosmetic/orthodontic means in order to produce the harmonious features which formulate the serenity in Serious Cat's demeanour.

In short, I think Serious Cat is the cut and tuck. I bet there's even a retainer in his mouth, having finished the braces stage.

Does that translate as meaning that my astigmatic and overdue for testing eyes registered SC as having veneers, when infact he was just goofy? And that having your face dropped is in fact the new fashion rather than Arthur Dent's explanation for aging 7 years in 3 months?

Old 04-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #2447
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
I have problems distinguishing TM and Beth at firt sight...
Oh dear. Here I was merely wishing to add to the homage of Serious Cat. After all, TM's use of Hookbill's mascot started the appropriation. We could have a conga line of Serious Cat avatars. Well, as long as that wouldn't suggest some kind of inbred or incestuous link amongst all us Downers.

On the other hand, I could go for something seasonal. Or maybe this:

Quote:
Does that translate as meaning that my astigmatic and overdue for testing eyes registered SC as having veneers, when infact he was just goofy? And that having your face dropped is in fact the new fashion rather than Arthur Dent's explanation for aging 7 years in 3 months?
By jove, I think you've got it. Spiffy.

Let me add to the acclaim for Celuien's beretted amphibian. I'm sure Rimbaud would be most impressed.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:38 PM   #2448
Precioussss
Wight

Precioussss has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Bethberry, your cat is hilarious. I just laughed really, really hard.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #2449
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks, Mith and Bethberry. It was hard to switch from my old blinking frog, but the beret was too much to let pass, especially since I have one just like it in grey.

I have to agree with the accolades for Serious Cat's grinning twin.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #2450
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I actually thought Bethberry's cat was blinking. I stared at it for ages to see if I was imagining things.

I was.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #2451
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
Well, as long as that wouldn't suggest some kind of inbred or incestuous link amongst all us Downers.
Wasn't me!
Old 04-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #2452
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I really enjoy Gothbogg the Ripper's Futurama avatar.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:22 AM   #2453
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
And i see Kitanna still has Her Daria avatar

i went back to an old one... i might change it again...
Old 04-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #2454
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I thought I wouldn't post it here, but when I looked at the Quiz Room threads, I had to admit this: the Húrin avatar looks just COOL! (TM is the one who has it currently, this is why I noticed it looks so good in the Quiz Room - he has several of them there in a row More about the avvies in this thread.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
We could have a conga line of Serious Cat avatars. Well, as long as that wouldn't suggest some kind of inbred or incestuous link amongst all us Downers.
Oh, I would only like to point out that I had an idea of all of us picking a CoH avvie on the day of release of the CoH book. So not Serious avatars, but Húrin avatars. Speaking of incest, it would even fit with the plot.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:57 AM   #2455
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
I actually thought Bethberry's cat was blinking. I stared at it for ages to see if I was imagining things.

I was.
Oh what are you ON?

Old 04-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #2456
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

I agree with Legate, everyone getting a CoH avatar would be nice, but I guess it's up to each member to decide if he wishes to go along with this.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:13 AM   #2457
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
I believe my avatar is Children of Hurin related because each Aberdeen match is like a mini rerun of Turin's life
Old 04-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #2458
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

...which is totally supported by their last match against Dundee Utd.
Anyway, I'd like to congratulate Mithalwen for her exquisite choice, now we're one step closer to having all CoH avatars
Old 04-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #2459
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
i was going to change it to Mith's avatar... but i hate to have the same one as somebody else so... yeah... i'll keep browsing
Old 04-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #2460
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Tell me about it, I might get a CoH avatar now, I think the scene when Turin kills Beleg would be a less depressing one
Old 04-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #2461
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Hmm...Legate's is somehow similar to the previous one, but still different
Not really sure what the landscape represents...Maybe a tree and a hill with a cross on it?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:10 AM   #2462
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
Hmm...Legate's is somehow similar to the previous one, but still different
Not really sure what the landscape represents...Maybe a tree and a hill with a cross on it?
Precisely. The interesting thing is, that it is actually a part of picture by John Howe, and I am somehow doubting that this was intended to be a cross... though, whatever way I look at it, it still seems to be a cross. Interesting.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 04-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #2463
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
Anyway, I'd like to congratulate Mithalwen for her exquisite choice, now we're one step closer to having all CoH avatars

Well Gil. becasue the choice was limited I managed to write my PT on mine (not that it is very readable) ..and I shall resume my Rossetti alter ego in due course ....

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-09-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #2464
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Well Gil. becasue the choice was limited I managed to write my PT on mine (not that it is very readable) ..and I shall resume my Rossetti alter ego in due course ....
Oh, really, there is something written on it... *googles at the scattered tea, then leaves - better to have eyes unharmed*
Old 04-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #2465
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Only my PT "Pilgrim soul" in wedgwood blue curly script....

Old 04-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #2466
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Saucepan Man's wolf with pan hat is cute.

And as my one daughter continually reminds me (to allay my fears), wolves are really just dogs. Wargs, now...
Old 04-14-2007, 07:58 PM   #2467
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
I must say, I love Rikae's avatar. Ranger Rick takes me back.

And the dentist was never that fun...
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #2468
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainofDespair
I must say, I love Rikae's avatar. Ranger Rick takes me back.

And the dentist was never that fun...
Somebody actually recognized it! You get kudos for that!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:38 PM   #2469
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
You know, Rikae, one of the reasons I couldn't help but believe that you really were the ranger as I read through the ww game was because of your avatar.

I must ask...was that intentional?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #2470
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
I love Rikae's werewolf-avatar. It really looks like her old avvie has transformed into this vile creature.
Oh...I didn't know my old wolf avvie was being complimented, until I happened to find my way here just now...um...stalking someone.
Thanks, Mac, Lommy, Volo!

Last edited by Rikae; 04-15-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:42 PM   #2471
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel
You know, Rikae, one of the reasons I couldn't help but believe that you really were the ranger as I read through the ww game was because of your avatar.

I must ask...was that intentional?
Absotively posilutely intentional. I only changed it after I revealed myself (though I had it waithing in the wings since I got my role!).
I got the idea from Durelin's ranger avatar a couple of games back. I think it's pretty neat to reread the thread with an avatar that fits the role, after the roles are known.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #2472
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
I think it's pretty neat to reread the thread with an avatar that fits the role, after the roles are known.
Indeed.

Well, perhaps in that case, I should change my avatar to this:

Edward Gorey art (but without the caption, of course)

Okay, it may not be an anvil, but I still found it amusing (especially considering my occupation).
Old 04-14-2007, 09:23 PM   #2473
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

LOL

ah, I love Gorey.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:15 PM   #2474
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
I was.
Oh what are you ON?
Sometimes, late at night, I used to think I saw my old 'Quiet and Creepy' avatar blinking at me. It was quite frightening! Pretty rediculous to be scared of my own picture!

(Attached for the beneft of those who may not have seen it before. Yes, that's a picture of me, and yes, I do find it scary! )
Attached Images
File Type: gif Quiet_and_Creepy.gif (8.0 KB, 250 views)
Old 04-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #2475
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

A great applause from me to Volo's new PULSE avatar!
Old 04-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #2476
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Oro, I love your avatar. If I knew your robot I bet I'd love it too.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:44 AM   #2477
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
A great applause from me to Volo's new PULSE avatar!
Thank you! One of my favourite album covers and live albums!
Old 04-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #2478
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Look what I found in the "101 Things a Barrowdowner would never post" thread.

Hehe.

Incidentally, now that Mith and I have fallen, I believe that of the first 2 pages of Downers, only three still hold out against the might of the avatar.
Quote:
islands under siege, if things go on as they are going.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:37 PM   #2479
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

But this was my reply:

look sweetie .... I somehow manage to combine internet addiction with abject techno-idiocy I'd have an avatar if I knew how .... bear in mind when I was a child we thought, to quote Douglas Adams, "digital watches were a really neat idea" .....

I haven't fallen. I have learnt...

Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #2480
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
I do love Forest Elf's avatar!

If I'm not mistaken, and I do hope I'm not, it would be Deedlit from Record of Lodoss War. Ah, such a great anime and manga...
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote