Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #1721
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
*looks at watch*
*sees 27th*
*looks at Mac screen*
*sees Tue*

Oh my... It's somehow already Tuesday.

I'll be gone from around 4:30 to 7:30, then I'll get writing. So the post should be up late tonight.

Any special requests should be either posted here or PMed to me within the next five hours, and I'll incorporate them into my time lapse post.

Anybody who wants to slip something in before I post, you've got at least six hours to do it.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #1722
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hm....I'm not exactly sure what to do with Saeryn. I think that she should be somehow connected to what happens with Degas, but I don't know how. Right now, I'm not thinking exactly clearly nor well, so I can't analyze things quite right. Could Saeryn somehow not arrive at the hall until after the new eorl gets there? I doubt she could be somehow oblivious to what is actually happening for that long, so never mind....just thinking outloud....

I don't have any special requests, Fea.

-- Foley
Old 10-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #1723
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Okay, so fail on my part for thinking I'd get writing done on a night with a two hour So You Think You Can Dance. I'm totally beat and anything I try to write is going to be horrible, so I'm going to crash early and then get up and write in the morning.

Which gives you guys another half day if you want it to play around with this last Day.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #1724
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Change of plans. I decided not to put it off.

Of course now I'm really tired.

Let me know if there are any glaring errors and I'll fix them tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #1725
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Got a post up. It was the best I could do with the farewell between Saeryn and Eodwine. This is actually taking place a little while before Degas and Rowenna arriving at Scarburg. They'll have been back at least a few days before Degas and Rowenna arrive. Will Degas and Rowenna be there before or after the new Eorl arrives? Because obviously, Saeryn will be back before the new eorl comes.

Let me know if anything needs to be changed.

Groin, I brought Lithor and Balvir back with me, is that okay?
Old 10-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #1726
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
You did what?!

That's fine with me Folwren. Perhaps Nogrod's old man could come with us, or will he be coming with Athanar?
Old 10-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #1727
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
You did what?!
Haha. Don't scare me like that.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #1728
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I was doodling around a month ago on a piece of paper and something along the lines of an archer cam out of it. I continued drawing until the archer reminded me of Erbrand and eventually I thought of this RPG. I thought about it for a long time until I finally got the motivation to draw some of my favorite characters. It has taken me the entire month to complete this set of pictures, ergo the varying styles of drawing. Hope I didn't ruin your imagery of your characters, this is just my personal imagination of them. Thought y'all would like to see them.

Erbrand (beardless) in hunter attire

Harreld caressing a new sword
Old 10-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #1729
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Continued...

Lady Saeryn with Kara on her wedding day (sorry if she doesn't look to happy I couldn't draw her smile right).

Crabannan during the sword duel

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 10-30-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #1730
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lithor riding to... somewhere

I started this with Ginna in mind, but now, when it's finished, it reminds me of Modtryth. I guess Ginna and Modtryth look similar to me.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 10-30-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #1731
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The End

The top picture is Erbrand how I currently imagine him. The bottom is Stigend (it looks like he's glaring at his kids)

Thornden in battle
Old 10-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #1732
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Wow! These are fantastic! You are an amazing artist.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #1733
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Groin, those are amazing! I had no idea you could draw. The changing styles add so much, as well. I love that you're so competent with the range between intricate line drawings and deeply rendered washes. I can't even express how much I love these. I'd totally buy several of them. The horse's face? So expressive, so detailed. Harreld? I'm in love with the style. Thorden? Brilliant. Such clean lines.

I'm pretty much in love with your precision and your obvious dedication to creating an entire series.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #1734
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.

(a pause)

Groin, you have made these yourself?

(Well, of course you did.)

I don't get it. Why are you not having a job in some international... painting... something...

Just amazing. I knew you can draw, but if somebody has shown me those, I would not have believed that it is not from some famous illustrator. Confess, whose alter ego are you?

Anyway, from the perspective of a newly arrived player like me, I wonder if it is good or bad that Groin posted these. It will be certainly far easier for me to orientate among all the characters, but of course now I will be basing my imagination of them on these illustrations...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 10-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #1735
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Whoa Groin!!!

Plain marvellous!

And I must say Stigend is just superb! I had thought of him a bit leaner in overall appearance but more or less along those lines... Great!

On other news... The new party will enter today. I'll write the post in the coming hours after doing away with a few smaller assignments relating to my work.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #1736
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks y'all for the kind comments--I thought you'd like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Anyway, from the perspective of a newly arrived player like me, I wonder if it is good or bad that Groin posted these. It will be certainly far easier for me to orientate among all the characters, but of course now I will be basing my imagination of them on these illustrations...
That is one of the main reasons I drew these, so that it could help me remember what the characters look like (I hope that the drawings aren't too far off). Glad it helps you too, Legate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
And I must say Stigend is just superb! I had thought of him a bit leaner in overall appearance but more or less along those lines... Great!
He's just got a fat head, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
On other news... The new party will enter today. I'll write the post in the coming hours after doing away with a few smaller assignments relating to my work.
In that case, I'm going to do a quick post for Erbrand early in the morning. Eonwe and I are doing something with Dan, Erbrand, and the Oeric character (I've PMed Shaggydog twice about it, no response).

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 10-30-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #1737
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The new eorl and his entourage is finally in!

I tried to write that post in a way that everyone could have a chance of getting something to do with some other writers.

There are the "important people" planning things in the Mead Hall, there are the kitchen-things to unload with kitchen staff (and a feast to be prepared), there are the supplies for the craftsmen to unload as there are horses to tend as well. Aedre and the grumpy old "uncle Fulcher" (thanks Groin for the great character!) are just idling about for anyone to contact them.

Or if anyone wants to make a contact to any "unknown soldier" - either one who is going to stay or one who is going to leave tomorrow - just invent things!

Have fun!

I'll send a few thoughts / ideas concerning that table of the leaders in the Mead Hall in a short while... but others should feel free to post whatever you think would be fun!

And when will Erbrand - or anyone else talk about our "old friend" E just met in the morning? Up to you guys...
Old 10-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #1738
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Fea & Foley!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Athanar in the thread
I need to know all you can tell me about these landlords and on the advancement of the building efforts; of the staff you have here and of any problems or shortages we might have.
Don't take this literally... Pick any of the things mentioned or start a totally new discussion... We can take many of those things Athanar listed as "granted" in the actual thread.

Also Lommy & Dury & Mnemo - feel free to write your characters into that discussion...

Everyone:

Relating to those question cited above by Athanar: what comes to the stage of the building-work we could come up with some common consent on those here in the discussion thread.

Also Erbrand's experience should be brought forwards one way or another at some point - well, wherever. You can also discuss it outside the Hall itself to begin with... it should be the talk of the place anyway alongside the new eorl and his entourage,

Also feel free to come up with any suggestions on what else to bring forwards...

And really, from now on we're back to interaction with less pre-planning and more like giving others some bites and reacting to things.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #1739
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
less pre-planning and more like giving others some bites and reacting to things.
Here, fishy fishy fishy...
Old 10-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #1740
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Here, fishy fishy fishy...
And then rodenty, rodenty, rodenty...
Old 10-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #1741
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:

Also Erbrand's experience should be brought forwards one way or another at some point - well, wherever. You can also discuss it outside the Hall itself to begin with... it should be the talk of the place anyway alongside the new eorl and his entourage.
I'll PM Eonwe. I'll see if we can do a flashback post between Erbrand and Dan and lead up to the present.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #1742
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Oh snap!
Old 10-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #1743
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Oh snap!
Heh... fun indeed...

But just a little thought on your last post Fea...

You write about Athanar's men raising up in anger. Actually there are only his wife, his two boys, and his right-hand man present.

I don't think Lommy would think it a bad reaction if you changed the "Athanar's men made to rise angrily" into "Athanar's sons made to rise angrily"... What I know of them it would actually look like a perfect reaction for them...

PS. I can see the beginning of a wonderful friendship here...

Last edited by Nogrod; 10-30-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #1744
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
You write about Athanar's men raising up in anger. Actually there are only his wife, his two boys, and his right-hand man present.
Obviously me thinking of too many things at once. I'll fix that.

Quote:
PS. I can see the beginning of a wonderful friendship here...
Hecks yes.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #1745
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Okay, and here we go with some of the "simple(r) folk".

I figured out that Firefoot is not around much, so I let her character just to sort of pop in now, and disappear to the stables for the time being. I don't know what you are planning, Fea (if anything), I guess the people might be starting to flood the stables (or try to) after time when Degas has walked there, or whatever is fine with you (it is clear that they need to get there at some point, anyway).

As for the ending of my post, I hope I am not making too much of "action" for start, but I think it may be a good way to give people a nudge to get together: basically anything might have happened, somebody approached the mare too close (perhaps she's a bit touchy to foreigners or does not like how somebody smells of garlic or whatever), or some prankster is responsible, or whatever. I think whoever thinks of what might have happened can post it (and that way probably get very soon acquainted with Hilderinc, who is going to rush back to see what's going on).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 10-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #1746
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I sent Degas to the stable as an easy way for Nienna to post, since her character seeks out the company of horses when she's upset, and Degas is good with children, and new writers could always use some huggles. If she doesn't want to use the opportunity, that's totally fine, and I can write it that a) it was one of the other kids, b) it was somebody's escaped parrot! gasp! (okay, so maybe not), c) he was hearing things, d) whatever.

If everybody wants to flood the stables before Degas gets there, that's fine, and anybody should feel free to do what they like. I just left a little something something there if somebody wanted it.

Now wouldn't it be interesting if Degas hit it off immediately with some of the new Eorl's men? They become, perhaps, fast friends, and then New Person finds out Degas isn't on the Good List?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #1747
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Good gracious me! One will have to post FAST to keep up in this new environment!

How could they treat Degas like that!!!! Saeryn might blow her top! I'm about to blow mine. Urg.

Okay, post time.

-- Foley
Old 10-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #1748
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Pio,

Would it be possible for you to change something in the character's list? On some of the characters, you noted in parenthesis beside the name what relation they had to the new eorl. Could you do that with all the new comers? Please? It would help me a great deal, personally, especially if some of the new players don't end up playing much. It's slightly like the request Nogrod first threw out, about making a separate place for all the new people's characters to be, but everyone thought it'd be best if all characters were in the same place...

If you would rather not, that's fine, too. I just thought it'd be helpful...especially as we're just starting out.

-- Foley
Old 10-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #1749
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Ooh, ooh, ooh, can somebody *cough Athanar cough* be like, "Degas seems pretty bent on getting involved. How about he donates some food and clothing from his lands?"

Then he can have to admit that he doesn't really have any, because there was a peasant uprising.

And then somebody *cough Athanar cough* can be like, "Told you he sucks."

And then Degas can be like, "Wasn't my problem at the time!"

And somebody (possibly not Athanar this time) can be like, "And how was the state of your family's land not your problem?"

And he can be like, "I am the younger son, and my brother ruled heavy handedly but competently (at the time I left). I was neither needed nor desired there until recently."

And then somebody (I'm definitely thinking Athanar for this one) can be like, "And just what were you doing when your home was burned, your brother was killed, your sister was off god knows where, and etcetera?"

And Degas can be like, "I WAS ON A SHIP IN IMRAHIL'S FLEET SCOURING THE HARAD COAST FOR MURDEROUS PIRATES THAT KEPT ABDUCTING THE YOUNG WOMEN OF SOUTH GONDOR, WHAT WERE YOU DOING, DANCING AT A DINNER PARTY IN EDORAS?"

Ahem.

I mean... really, Degas totally was off killing pirates with Lin's brothers, and I'd love to see him be all, "Who are you, in your fancy clothes doing what, talking? While there are people in the world suffering, and you think the way to fix it is to talk out your nether regions instead of acting according to honor and duty? Oh, what, you think honor and duty say you have to bather on all day? When was the last time you played midwife in a breach birth? Hm? How about the last time you save children from raiders? Recently cleaned up a coastal town after a flood, when dead bodies are bloated and rotting in the streets?"

But sidenote for those interested: the easiest way to get Degas's temper to flare is to suggest that the state of his lands is somehow his fault, because he completely blames himself, even though it really wasn't actually his fault.

You know... just for future reference.

(If you can't tell, I'm officially re-amused by the Mead Hall and its events and occupants.)
Old 10-31-2009, 06:05 AM   #1750
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I sent Degas to the stable as an easy way for Nienna to post, since her character seeks out the company of horses when she's upset, and Degas is good with children, and new writers could always use some huggles. If she doesn't want to use the opportunity, that's totally fine, and I can write it that a) it was one of the other kids, b) it was somebody's escaped parrot! gasp! (okay, so maybe not), c) he was hearing things, d) whatever.

If everybody wants to flood the stables before Degas gets there, that's fine, and anybody should feel free to do what they like. I just left a little something something there if somebody wanted it.
Well yes, that was how I read it as well. And it does not need to be ruined, I think it is only about how fast people manage to post. That's also part of the reason why I did not make Hilderinc enter the stables yet. I think there is nobody right now who would want to go to the stables, so you can treat the timeline in the stables however you want until somebody has the reason to make the soldiers appear there. You can use them to your advantage in interrupting something or whatever, you'll probably know better yourself.

Quote:
Now wouldn't it be interesting if Degas hit it off immediately with some of the new Eorl's men? They become, perhaps, fast friends, and then New Person finds out Degas isn't on the Good List?
That could indeed be fun. You can then stage up something with random soldiers, or wait for Hilderinc and see whichever way the wind takes us.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:02 AM   #1751
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Fea, I guess Degas is hearing Athanar's daughter? I hope so. I'm looking forward to when she comes into play, because I want Javan to get back into a writing position. Fun stuff coming up.

Nienna, are you around? Can you start the adventures of the younger generation here?

-- Foley
Old 10-31-2009, 08:18 AM   #1752
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
Ahh... yes I am around but I won't be able to post until Sunday at the earliest. My sister is visiting and we are doing Halloween stuff. I'm really sorry!

If you all want to get started without me I understand. I don't want to hold anyone up.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:28 AM   #1753
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Problem solved: I'll have Degas go for a ride alone, and he can meet Athanar's daughter upon his return. It seems more likely (I think) that she'd be in the stables when there was less commotion and she'd be less likely to be sent elsewhere if found.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:46 AM   #1754
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Pio,

Would it be possible for you to change something in the character's list? On some of the characters, you noted in parenthesis beside the name what relation they had to the new eorl. Could you do that with all the new comers?
Can you take a look at the list and see if the changes are satisfactory, please?

~*~ Pio
Old 10-31-2009, 09:20 AM   #1755
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

That's great, Pio, thank you SO much! We really appreciate you and all your hard work. Cheers!

-- Foley

------------------------------

Edit: (Reply)

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-31-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #1756
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hey everybody, this looks wonderful, I'll post tomorrow or on Monday!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #1757
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Great!

Just contact each other people! We have a nice set up now there and the Hall itself is not the only place where things are happening...

Foley: I took the discussion in the Hall itself a bit further. If I have written Saeryn and Thornden as too passive or they have wrong words in their mouths just let me know!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #1758
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Ooh hoo, Degas wasn't mad before, but faced with Athanar repeatedly saying he's a spoiled kid with misplaced anger, he'll be mad fast.

Especially since his concerns have absolutely nothing to do with the practical running of the mead hall or of who is in charge of what. He just cares that his sister married a lord and received an inheritance with that, and it has been taken back through no fault of her own, and she's got an heir brewing inside her. Degas just wants to make sure his nephew (he's assuming it's gonna be a boy, whether or not he's right) gets his birthright.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #1759
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Ooh hoo, Degas wasn't mad before, but faced with Athanar repeatedly saying he's a spoiled kid with misplaced anger, he'll be mad fast.
Happily he was away and didn't hear the latest discussion... (unless Saeryn or Thornden referred it to him later - and even they couldn't have "heard" Athanar's thoughts inside him...)

Quote:
He just cares that his sister married a lord and received an inheritance with that, and it has been taken back through no fault of her own, and she's got an heir brewing inside her. Degas just wants to make sure his nephew (he's assuming it's gonna be a boy, whether or not he's right) gets his birthright.
Ha-Ha! I actually hadn't thought of that in that concrete terms and from that angle... A good point indeed.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #1760
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I posted, explaining the neighing of Athanar's mare in Legate's post. I don't know if my post was too far fetched, nobody else has taken up Matrim to my knowledge so I assumed that he was still open for anyones use. Let me know if I stepped out of place.

Also, I included several other people in my post, such as Stigend, Crabannan, Harreld, and I said a few more (so that could be leof, Kara, and basically anybody who doesn't have their characters busy) so that Lithor wouldn't hog all the fun. This way the soldier with the "stern look," Hilderinc, can address people besides Lithor and more people can respond.