The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #3081
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
Eating cereal while listening to music, and all you can hear is yourself chewing.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #3082
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Lesson observations and the stress they cause. I would be less stressed if it wasn't the exact same topic as last year which I messed up big time.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #3083
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign accidentally getting my bank account numbers confused so that a check gets lost. For some reason my account numbers get jumbled in my head and I get confused. I hope that I don't lose my check forever. If I did, I would be sick.
I put it in the night deposit yesterday, and I wrote the numbers on the slip jumbled. It was a holiday today, so I don't know if it will get into my account or not. Hopefully it does.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #3084
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

Having your school create a pointless advisory thing, which nobody has any choice about, then having them give you a teacher whose class you failed as an advisor.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #3085
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
People signing up for a game, and then forgetting about it.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #3086
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
My English class. We had a chance to have a quiz and an in-class essay (basically a test). Which would have takes 2-3 hours max altogether. But no, they have to vote on doing an assignment (4-6 hours right there) and an at-home essay (I'd give it minimum 5 hours). Stupid, stupid, idiotic decisions, you stupid classmates!

Not only that, but the assignment is a presentation as well as a written paper, and it is to be done in groups. In addition, my group doesn't want to do anything that requires work.

Just why does all my class except for a couple other individuals think this is easier than to write some 6 short paragraphs in the matter of 2 hours?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #3087
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Donald Trump. Orcish through and through, and has clearly never seen Local Hero.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #3088
morwen edhelwen
Haunting Spirit

morwen edhelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Psychopaths.
morwen edhelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #3089
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Your internet being down for the past half a week - and likely to be down for another week or so.

I'm not dead, people, only my internet is! I will probably have 10 pages of posts to catch up to when I can open the web from my own computer... But I WILL be back!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #3090
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Getting your hands covered in superglue. It's kinda hard to type this condition. I only wanted to fix that thing!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #3091
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sorry, all of you Canadians. We won't be popping in for a four-year sleepover after all.

(edited by moderator to remove political content)

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 11-08-2012 at 03:23 AM.
MCRmyGirl4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #3092
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Developing an ominous sore throat just as you recovered from the last pestilence

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #3093
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
A complete inability to go to bed at a time that means I won't be exhausted tomorrow. Might need to start getting to grips with afternoon naps at this rate.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #3094
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign getting a job that has pretty good benefits, getting excited about it, going to orientation, and then getting a call telling me that in order to work for the company I have to work on my day of rest. What am I going to do?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #3095
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRmyGirl4eva View Post
Sorry, all of you Canadians. We won't be popping in for a four-year sleepover after all.

(edited by moderator to remove political content)
^ Fair enough. Don't want to start any fights.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #3096
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Today and toDay. Today for RL reasons, toDay for WW reasons. It's too depressing.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #3097
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Obstructionist and (not merely un- but dis-) dis-helpful suppliers.

"Dis-helpful" oughta be a word.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #3098
Pomegranate
Wight

Pomegranate is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Getting ill in the middle of everything-happens -season.

Coming back from a trip to see that loads of interesting things have happened in a WW-game but that you have also been lynched (and due to something that could've been explained easily, had you been around).
Old 12-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #3099
Lollipop010900
Animated Skeleton

Lollipop010900 has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

All those idiots who refuse to read LotR because the think its too long

... I guess its their loss...
Lollipop010900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #3100
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
A flat tire and unbelievably stubborn lug nuts. But to the Shire with my neighbor who dropped everything to come help out.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #3101
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop010900 View Post
All those idiots who refuse to read LotR because the think its too long

... I guess its their loss...
Or the folks who have seen the movies and are afraid the book will ruin their experience.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #3102
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Myself .. I realised I had developed one of my darling late mother's more irritating habits when on receiving Christmas cards in unfamiliar hand I examined the exteriors closely for clues (postmark etc), speculated to myself as to who it might be for a while before doing the obvious thing and just opening it.... why couldn't I have inherited her skills at reverse parking?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #3103
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Myself .. I realised I had developed one of my darling late mother's more irritating habits when on receiving Christmas cards in unfamiliar hand I examined the exteriors closely for clues (postmark etc), speculated to myself as to who it might be for a while before doing the obvious thing and just opening it.... why couldn't I have inherited her skills at reverse parking?
That's what I usually do upon receiving mail. Wonder who might have sent it. In fact, I do it every time I get a rep point. I look at the thread, and then try to decide who could have written what about it in the comments before I actually read it.

On this note, I assign organisations (usually charities or communities of some sort) that send you random cards and stickers for membership. I get real mail every once in a half a year, so I'm always excited if I get anything, and usually that's just yet another card saying nothing in particular from some long-forgotten community camp thingy.

Also, I assign just barely umbrella-worthy rain and wind that nearly breaks the said umbrella. And the whole fact of rain in mid-December. There's a reasons all Christmas songs have the word "snow" in them!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #3104
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Picking a book to read because it sounds like something you'd like, and approving very much of it until about half-way, just to realize that the summary hasn't told you the main thing that you won't like about it at all.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #3105
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

The end of the world. It was very disappointing.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #3106
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ah well as TS Eliot said not with a bang but a whimper.

I assign creepy Christmas cards from someone you haven't seen in well over a decade.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #3107
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Those times when you see something falling. You know it's falling before it actually falls, and you know how to catch it, but you can't. Either because you're too far away and running for it will result in you colliding into it, or because your arms are full of stuff and catching one thing will result in five more falling down, or for whatever other reason.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #3108
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Facebook's newsfeed...the chronological listing of friends' stories can cause mass confusion.

Necessary background first: I'm watching the Browns-Broncos NFL game. Broncos are handily winning...One of my friends (Browns fan) comments to another friend (Broncos fan) "Congratulations." As I'm watching the game, I assume that's what they're talking about, so I comment "yeah this is going to get real ugly really fast."

*Continue scrolling down newsfeed, blissfully unaware of the mistake* until...

"Oh...crap...Bronco's friend announced he's engaged today!" Annnnd...now I'm the scumbag who said "This is going to get real ugly really fast."

*shakes fist at newfeed*
Old 12-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #3109
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
When your closing you're locked door fully aware you don't have keys but close the door anyway.

When you go to a Christmas Party with your wife and she's having a blast with the adults and as always your designated to Watch the kids...everyone's kids.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #3110
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Talking to an old friend after three months of no word or sight, and within two minutes they ruin the ending of The Hobbit film they know you have yet to see. Instead saying it's nothing since 'you already read the book!'. Sigh...
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #3111
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Or the folks who have seen the movies and are afraid the book will ruin their experience.
... I ... I don't even. No.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #3112
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Writing a presentation that is twice longer than it is supposed to be. But it's all important!

(By the way, if you ever have to analyse a book and you're given a choice, do A Student of Weather by Elizabeth Hay. There's so much to analyse I can't fit it into my time frame )

Also, I assign having burns in the most random places.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #3113
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
A friend texting you text back right away ... no response for an hour.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #3114
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
High Speed Rail lines, ripping up dozens of ancient woodlands and the lovely green English countryside, and taking away people's businesses and homes, all so someone can get to a meeting or go and spend their money in London ten minutes more quickly than they already can. When we can't afford it in the first place. And there's nobody to vote for who will stop it all. It should be in Orthanc really because it's truly Sarumanian, but it's got more shades of Sauron because of having no say in the matter.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #3115
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm assigning a very despicable person who is holding my only and very old copy of The Hobbit hostage. While with any other book I'd probably just go and buy another copy, this copy means more because of memories and such.

It's conflicting, because I'm thinking of having my brother pull a Bilbo and smuggle it out of their lair, but I don't want him blamed/questioned in the process.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #3116
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
High Speed Rail lines, ripping up dozens of ancient woodlands and the lovely green English countryside, and taking away people's businesses and homes, all so someone can get to a meeting or go and spend their money in London ten minutes more quickly than they already can. When we can't afford it in the first place. And there's nobody to vote for who will stop it all. It should be in Orthanc really because it's truly Sarumanian, but it's got more shades of Sauron because of having no say in the matter.

It could be more Sarumanian and possibly even worse, or Wormtonguian, if they held a pseudo 'public meeting' over it then announced at the end that, 'Oh and by the way, none of your votes into this matter today count towards the actual process.'
Been to one of those over the useless destruction of an old-growth forest for a new suburb nearby. It's been entirely empty plots for eight years now.
Folks seem to forget that on an island or peninsula that space is limited and having such a naturally beautiful space surviving for that long should be appreciated.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #3117
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

People who decide to have group hugs in the middle of a staircase, dawdle in doorways, and just create traffic in the school hallways. Also, those who take their time finishing a conversation with a friend when walking down the aisle of a bus. There's people behind you, sheesh!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #3118
Ardent
Wight

Ardent has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I would put this kind of bullying down to Mordor too, Saruman's scouring of Isengard and The Shire being echoes of the desolation of Sauron and Smaug.
I worked for a local Wildlife Group at the time when Thatcher-the-Dark was pushing through development of Buisness Parks on green-field sites. We did help to preserve a few SSSI's with rare orchids or newts living in them, but the urban farm (Merry Hill Farm) went the way of Sandyman's Mill.

However, I'm not sure why I assign this to Mordor. The idea that one gets no vote is hardly an objection because no-one in ME, outside the White Council, got a vote either. Even at the meeting of the races in Rivendell it was Council members Elrond and Gandalf who had the last word, and the occupants of Lorien did not consult with Nimrodel before moving into her home.

When we complain that our voice has not been heard aren't we simply complaining like Boromir:

"Will you not at least let me make trial of my plan? Lend me the Ring!"

Old 02-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #3119
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
People who decide to have group hugs in the middle of a staircase, dawdle in doorways, and just create traffic in the school hallways.
Aww but because of things like this, Frodo and Sam managed to escape the orc troops!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #3120
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign the people who idolize Christopher Dorner. They are the orcs of this world.