The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
A Barrow-Downs Get Together.

The I met Another BDer Thread is being chatted to death so I thought I'd start my own thread...

I thought that it would be great to have a Barrow-Downs cruise or get together of some sort and Groin Redbeard thought so too, so instead of filling up the other thread with our chat, I thought we might discuss it here...

I don't know if this thread really belongs here, but if it doesn't I guess Esty or somebody could move it...

So,
If the Barrow-Downs could have a get together where would we have it and why?
Old 08-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Here of course.... which would be very handy for me were I not too antisocial to attend...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Here of course.... which would be very handy for me were I not too antisocial to attend...
That would be the perfect spot!
Old 08-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It is very pretty and it has downs... and I think barrows

Old 08-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, having been to the Isle of Wight myself, I think it would be a very nice place.
But since I'm only 14, my parents probably wouldn't allow me to go.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well since it is more or less stuck in the 1950's you would be safe enough .. save that there seems to be a faction of downers that seem to want to form a secular cult

Old 08-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
save that there seems to be a faction of downers that seem to want to form a secular cult
And of course a faction of downers that seem to want to form a romance world record...

I would think the most appropriate locale for a massive party would be somewhere with significance to the books. What with Bree and Edoras out of the question, somewhere Tolkieny would simply have to suffice. Shall we descend upon Oxford?
Old 08-15-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Here maybe?

<--------------------------

Gets my vote, but would everyone fit in at once? And more importantly, whose round would it be?

Old 08-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #9
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Well, having been to the Isle of Wight myself, I think it would be a very nice place.
But since I'm only 14, my parents probably wouldn't allow me to go.
Well, this would definitely have to be maybe seven years from now, because being 14 also my parents would have a cow if I were to ask them if I could go to a BD get together... They have a problem with me just talking to people on the internet, and my obsession with the newspaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post

Gets my vote, but would everyone fit in at once? And more importantly, whose round would it be?

Oh dear, who all would come I wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
And of course a faction of downers that seem to want to form a romance world record...

I would think the most appropriate locale for a massive party would be somewhere with significance to the books. What with Bree and Edoras out of the question, somewhere Tolkieny would simply have to suffice. Shall we descend upon Oxford?
Hmmm... Sound fun! Count me in.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #10
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
... and my obsession with the newspaper.
Well as far as THAT goes, some of the internet people have to wonder too.

Mind you, it's better than the Doctor Who obsession that seems to be going around.

*cough cough*

Oh, and I'm still holding out for the first big Downer meeting involving a wedding. Maybe a wedding on a cruise. To Antarctica. From Bermuda.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Shall we descend upon Oxford?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil
Been there, done that... But of course, I would love for the opportunity to return there if at all possible.

Why not Bloemfontein, South Africa aka birthplace of Tolkien? Yeah yeah, he was only there for three years, but at least it'd give us all an excuse to see Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formy
Mind you, it's better than the Doctor Who obsession that seems to be going around.
Yes, but a Doctor Who obsession is a good obssession...as is a Tolkien obsession.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #12
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Oh, and I'm still holding out for the first big Downer meeting involving a wedding.
In that case, I wonder how many downers could make it to upstate NY next spring.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #13
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
In that case, I wonder how many downers could make it to upstate NY next spring.
*raises hand* Unless you schedule for the last weekend of May, when I'm busy.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

Come to the Middle East, my lovelies. Or else, give me an excuse to go West again.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
*runs to daddy to pester him with the thought of a nice spring trip*
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #16
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Provided that it's after finals... very, very good.

Oh, and as we are all Tolkien fans, I fully expect gold-lettered invitations, ala Bilbo.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #17
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Well... I seem to have gotten that bug *ahem*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Been there, done that... But of course, I would love for the opportunity to return there if at all possible.

Why not Bloemfontein, South Africa aka birthplace of Tolkien? Yeah yeah, he was only there for three years, but at least it'd give us all an excuse to see Africa.

Yes, but a Doctor Who obsession is a good obssession...as is a Tolkien obsession.
Hmm... Interesting, I'd like to go to Africa, especially with nice people!
And I agree, some obsessions are very good!

Quote:
I wish I could go... Apparently there is a nice Russian Tea Room in New York as well, two great things for the price of one!
Old 08-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #18
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Kinda depends on when in the spring. If it's in May, it's not going to happen for me. Otherwise, I very well might be able to, as I have a pal who lives in Rochester and I could kill two birds with one stone.

Oh, and I still like the B-Downs cruise idea best.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:59 AM   #19
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Now there is a location I might actually be able to reach, as I don't think I'm up to swimming across the Atlantic, cruising on a barrel or no. And besides my passport would get wet and the ink run.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #20
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

You know, Rikae, if you're serious about importing Barrowdowners to Upstate, I'd be perfectly happy to help organize matters and make it happen.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #21
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Upstate New York sounds alright with me. It might be a little difficult for me since this year is my first time at a university. Just name the date and I'll see what I can do with my school schedule.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #22
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up This may be getting silly...

But, with so many Downers living so far apart, what may be more likely and sensible (if that's the right word) would be, not one big massive meet up, but a few. Perhaps roughly the same day or week. We should get one person from each meet to film it and post it up so we can all, in some way, share the experiences.

So, for example;
A British Downer meet could take place somewhere in the midlands like Birmingham or some such. In the hope that its not too far away for people, of course. Or, better yet, some place where there are things to do, places to visit and so on.
Or how about Scotland? A sibling of mine went up there with friends and they all banded together to rent a cottage for a week. I wonder if there is anywhere in the lakes or something we Britons could do that?

A Scandinavian meet has already happened and it wouldn't be fair... Just kidding.

A general European meet in... urm... Dusseldorf? Or the south of France... just outside Christopher Tolkien's house.

An American meet (may have to be divided into North and South?) in whatever places are most applicable. Close to Canada so our Canadian friends can plausibly get there.

I don't know... something like this?
Old 08-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #23
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
An American meet (may have to be divided into North and South?) in whatever places are most applicable. Close to Canada so our Canadian friends can plausibly get there.
Divided into North and South. You're a man after my own heart, Hookbill! This does make a lot more sense. Gwathagor, you are up in Oregon, correct?
Old 08-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #24
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Please be careful what info you give out, and to whom. Especially if you're considered "underage" where you come from...or crunchable and juicy...

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #25
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Please be careful what info you give out, and to whom. Especially if you're considered "underage" where you come from...or crunchable and juicy...
Exactly. The precise details should, I think, be discussed by PM. If we agree to this facade, we should use this thread to discuss the general stuff; rough locations and estimated dates. Perhaps we should have one, or a few, organisers for each meet who those interested can PM for more information?
Old 08-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #26
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Gwathagor, you are up in Oregon, correct?
Yes. I have the dubious distinction of dwelling on the Left Coast, though I'm really a Southern fella at heart.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 08-17-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #27
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Divided into North and South. You're a man after my own heart, Hookbill! This does make a lot more sense.
Actually, given the distribution on population on this continent of ours, an east/west divide might be more appropriate than north/south, though I certainly agree a divide would be necessary. After all, Hookbill is thinking of three meets in Europe... and Canada and the U.S. are each larger than Europe, without getting themselves smushed together--in terms of land, of course, not population.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #28
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
If you are planning a BD-meet in the U.K. why not try it around the new year?

I've been saving some of the money I got from the textbooks I have been making and we (Lommy, Greenie & me) have been thinking about taking a trip to the U.K. around the new year as our school starts a week after the turn of the year.

I have a few friends in London who will lodge us for a few nights but then we could either take the budget buses or rent a car to get somewhere. And why not at least Eomer and Caílin crossing the canal for the occasion as well?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #29
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, we are all pretty much scattered about. Good for passing on an Olympic torch to the ends of the earth, but not so much for an all inclusive get together. As I recall, this sort of discussion was bounced around a few years back in this forum, with the North American threads developing along the lines of SE, NE, Midwest, Great Lakes etc.

And yes, do be careful about disclosing your where abouts, or someone might come with a shovel and dig up your barrow! Heavens, we can't have that!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #30
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Depending on location, some folks might be interested in this as a potential meeting-place. (See the link.) Their collection of Tolkien books and artifacts (like his desk/pen/pipe/etc.) is unsurpassed.

They also have C.S. Lewis's wardrobe.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 08-17-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #31
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Quote:
*raises hand*
Quote:
*runs to daddy to pester him with the thought of a nice spring trip*
Quote:
Provided that it's after finals... very, very good.
Quote:
I very well might be able to, as I have a pal who lives in Rochester and I could kill two birds with one stone.
Quote:
Now there is a location I might actually be able to reach
Quote:
Upstate New York sounds alright with me.
Oh my, now that's quite a response. Well, we thought about getting some Downers over for the wedding, but we didn't yet think about any details such as accommodation, or just what exactly to do with them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
You know, Rikae, if you're serious about importing Barrowdowners to Upstate, I'd be perfectly happy to help organize matters and make it happen.
That help would be greatly appreciated and probably even necessary. After all, we'd also be planning such a minor thing like a wedding at the same time!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #32
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formy
Actually, given the distribution on population on this continent of ours, an east/west divide might be more appropriate than north/south, though I certainly agree a divide would be necessary.
Indeed. And in reality, I think the division would have to be made into even more than two...the US and Canada simply covers so much area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde
As I recall, this sort of discussion was bounced around a few years back in this forum, with the North American threads developing along the lines of SE, NE, Midwest, Great Lakes etc.
Yes there was, way back yonder in the early days. I don't think very many meetings actually happened, but I searched for the old threads and found them in case anyone wants to revive them:

Canadians

Midwest US

Southeast US

Texas

London/England

Australia

Seattle/Northwest US

California (Bay Area)

East Coast US

There were a lot of other threads about other locations, but I think these were the only ones specifically discussing possible gatherings. It's interesting to look at these old threads, though sadly many of the members who posted are long gone. It seems that there were a lot more Americans back in those days. Now I think there may be more Europeans...or maybe it just feels that way...

Quote:
Depending on when in the spring (if I'm still in Boston and not in the middle of finals), I would definitely do everything in my power to try and make it. I really would hate to miss such an event. Hmm...it seems like Mac and Rikae's wedding could end up becoming a major BD gathering.

Btw, I highly encourage BDers to come visit Boston starting September 7 and on. In my personal opinion, it's one of the best (and historical) cities to visit in the US, plus it's absolutely gorgeous in the fall. But most importantly, it's where I happen to go to school.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #33
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
With no promise to be able to attend myself, those who cannot make it to Europe or upstate New York may find it easier to get to Milwaukee. I know that sounds like an odd location, but Tolkien's papers are there, at Marquette University. I can't make any promises about how fun it would be, since I haven't been there since high school (many, many, many years ago.) There's always Lake Michegan and Wisconsin beer and brats, not to mention a Jesuit University Library/Archive to explore. Librarians can be very gracious, and it would be nice to see some of Tolkien's work in his own handwriting.

By the way, here's what Marquette is currently showing on their website about their Tolkien Archive:
http://www.marquette.edu/library/inf...oceedings.html

Actually seems a little out of date to me, though the books available look interesting.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion.

Last edited by radagastly; 08-17-2008 at 10:36 PM.
radagastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #34
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Depending on location, some folks might be interested in this as a potential meeting-place. (See the link.) Their collection of Tolkien books and artifacts (like his desk/pen/pipe/etc.) is unsurpassed.
My goodness! My cousins live in Wheaton and they never told me about this. Heads will role!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #35
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Hmm... I have the perfect idea! How about Fairbanks, Alaska in the middle of the winter! it's only a six hour drive from where I live!

Or for the Downers who don't like very low temperatures, how about Fairbanks in the summer, there is a very nice camp ground up there... Or even better Barrow!

Whoops, sorry... I don't think most Downers live anywhere near Alaska... I guess I'll travel somewhere else then...
Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #36
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
My goodness! My cousins live in Wheaton and they never told me about this. Heads will role!
I work in the archives during the school year.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #37
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
So,
If the Barrow-Downs could have a get together where would we have it and why?
www.barrowdowns.com
24/7 everyday of the year

No travel or timing issues and why let the mundanities of real life mar virtual death?

I am sure Rupert Brooke was anticipating the Downs in this poem:

NOT with vain tears, when we’re beyond the sun,
We’ll beat on the substantial doors, nor tread
Those dusty high-roads of the aimless dead
Plaintive for Earth; but rather turn and run
Down some close-covered by-way of the air,
Some low sweet alley between wind and wind,
Stoop under faint gleams, thread the shadows, find
Some whispering ghost-forgotten nook, and there

Spend in pure converse our eternal day;
Think each in each, immediately wise;
Learn all we lacked before; hear, know, and say
What this tumultuous body now denies;
And feel, who have laid our groping hands away;
And see, no longer blinded by our eyes.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #38
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I would very much love to go, too, though I really can't tell what my freedoms will be next spring when it comes to traveling. But I promise I won't just expect to be accomodated as a guest if I am able to be there. The number of guests is directly related to the cost and all that. And I could see a large number of BD guests becoming awkward.

But for some sort of general east coast meeting I suggest DC...I mean, I don't mind heading north, but...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #39
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Title #899

I agree with several meetups in different locations by region. Unfortunately, I don't think I could make it to anything not within an hour of my home. All I'll say is that it's halfway between the North Pole and the Equator...in the US of A.

But if there's a meetup in my area, I'll consider drifting by.