The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-08-2007, 01:23 AM   #1
Roborovskii

Sting Who do you think in the movies is the best looking?

So the TheGreatElvenwarrior and I were arguing about who was the hottest movie character is. I say Aragorn, but she claims that Sam and Pippin are the best. Lies. She also swears she is going to kill me for mentioning her here, supposedly it will damage her reputation, but so what.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:28 AM   #2
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye You!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate you Robi! You're soo mean for mentioning me in your freaking post... but it's not like you're not sitting right next to me in my room... on my computer too! sheesh!
Old 12-16-2007, 04:26 AM   #3
Mithol

Sorry, but I agree with Roborovskii.

It's definitely Aragorn. He was my first celebrity crush. That was when I started "noticing" the opposite sex. He is smokin' hot...
Old 12-16-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

Duh. It's that well-known 'bit of rough' Sean Bean isn't it?
Old 12-16-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
er, "best looking" = "most imaginatively recreates the book character's visual description"

No question: CGI Gollem. Best looking rendition of a Tolkien character.

Gandalf might come in second.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:53 AM   #6
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

EOWYN! mmm...

Arwen's such a close second though I don't know...maybe both!
Old 12-17-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The Ring.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
For me it's a toss-up between Arwen and her grandmother, Galadriel. But my wife beats 'em both.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Although I'm tempted to agree with Oddwen, I think Saruman was the hottest. I've never seen Christopher Lee as good-looking, not even when he was young. And especially that nose prosthesis is great.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Using Bethberry's standard, I'd have to say it's the Balrog.

<bad pun mode=ON> The Balrog is hands-down the hottest character on screen.<bad pun mode=OFF>
Old 12-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hottest? What is your definition there?

I personally think that Eomer, Faramir, and Boromir are all very hansome. I also think that Orlando Bloom is hansome, though I would say that in LotR, he isn't as much so as he is in PotC.

For pretty, I think I like Eowyn best, next Galadriel. I don't care for Arwens looks.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #12
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

The art of punnery and sarcasm is lost.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #13
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenamir View Post
The art of punnery and sarcasm is lost.
Lol! I was just overlooking your post, and asking Robovorskii. So sorry. I have a horrible way of not making myself clear. I really can't believe that I made that mistake, it is so obviosly confusing. Sorry. I got your pun perfectly well, and found it funny.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #14
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Duh. It's that well-known 'bit of rough' Sean Bean isn't it?
As if there could be any other. However, the rebel, Karl Urban, comes in a close second.

But if best-looking means, as Bethberry put it, best recreation from the book, I'll have to go with Galadriel. A lovely actress playing a beautiful character.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #15
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am one of the few women

who find Sean Bean quite resistable. While I was amazed to see that Karl Urban looks amazing when shaved and with short hair (I loathe beards and dislike long hair on men - though Viggo might just be the exception that proves the rule), I fell in love with Hugo Weaving when I was 14 and I am a very faithful hound . So I don't care that his hair is receding, he still has my vote( "Morrrrrrrrrdoorrrrrrrrrr" *thud*.

Miranda Otto is lovely but I think Cate Blanchett is one of the great beauties of our time - though if you analyse her face it shouldn't work....There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #16
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
who find Sean Bean quite resistable. While I was amazed to see that Karl Urban looks amazing when shaved and with short hair (I loathe beards and dislike long hair on men - though Viggo might just be the exception that proves the rule), I fell in love with Hugo Weaving when I was 14 and I am a very faithful hound . So I don't care that his hair is receding, he still has my vote( "Morrrrrrrrrdoorrrrrrrrrr" *thud*..
Was the thud the sound of his ham dropping on the floor as he acted the part? It's that "Morrrrrrrdoooorrrrrr" thing that puts me off. He's much better in Priscilla I think.

Viggo's no good because he has that weird thing going on where he's dark but has no eyebrows. Like the opposite of Hugo in fact.

There are altogether too many mullets and beards going on in Middle-earth in general. They've either got one or both. Not good. Boromir looks the cleanest of the lot though.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #17
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sorry Lal, but I now have to kill you. I think he did very well with what the script left of Elrond ...but I love Priscilla - what that says about my psyche is probably best left unsaid. But I am not sure that his finest role was not the sheepdog in Babe....

Sean Bean always look like his head is too big for his body and was set upside down..that hack jaw ... nah....

David Wenham is not particularly handsome but he is attractive and has a nice voice..... voices are my weakness

Old 12-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #18
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'm going to reveal myself as the complete nutcase I am (and answer something I left unanswered in my original post on the 'downs) by saying:
Brad Dourif and Andy Serkis! (With the latter, I'm referring to his incarnation as "young Smeagol" - pointy ears, long hair and all. Precious!)
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:03 PM   #19
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hmmmm.....well I'm not into the whole elven thing of long blonde hair and talking real slow and elegant. I'm not into girls either, so I'd have to say that the best looking is Boromir!
Old 12-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #20
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Sorry Lal, but I now have to kill you. I think he did very well with what the script left of Elrond ...but I love Priscilla - what that says about my psyche is probably best left unsaid. But I am not sure that his finest role was not the sheepdog in Babe....

Sean Bean always look like his head is too big for his body and was set upside down..that hack jaw ... nah....

David Wenham is not particularly handsome but he is attractive and has a nice voice..... voices are my weakness
I'll let you off for the simple reason that at least he's not a great big girls blouse like the other male Elves, wafting around in their kaftans saying 'whispy' things and sulking under their greasy hair...they even annoy me how they use their swords in the manner of synchronised swimming instead of raddling them around in a wild, manly fashion

Wenham has the advantage of getting given the part of the tastiest book character
Old 12-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #21
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Besides Mouth of Sauron?
Well, guess I'd go with Rosie here, I like her more then the Elvish gals.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #22
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
This should be made into an actual poll.

Galadriel=Cate Blanchett=the one I thought the most beautiful.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #23
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
Galadriel=Cate Blanchett=the one I thought the most beautiful.
I'd agree that Cate Blanchett is the most beautiful of the ones discussed in real life (well, in pictures and tv/films outside LotR) and sure there is something elvenlike in her... but somehow I was disappointed in the end with her as Galadriel. I don't know why.

I'd probably go for Miranda Otto... How she sings the burial lament for Théodred and how she smiles on the refugee trail... Well, that's enough for me.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #24
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:

Wenham has the advantage of getting given the part of the tastiest book character

Oh that we can certainly agree on. Faramir and Kester Woodseaves as the most wonderful men in all literature....

Old 12-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #25
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
Both Arwen (Liv Tyler) and Eowyn (Miranda Otto) are quite gorgeous...I really can't choose, they're both too beautiful for such a choice. We'll call it a draw

Last edited by Sir Kohran; 02-09-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Sir Kohran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #26
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
White Tree Billy Boyd

Personally I would have to say that yes, Viggo Mortensen is the best looking, but I also think that Billy Boyd is a good second. And yes this should be an offical poll.

A note of interest I would like to add is that I am actully the author of the thread, Roborovskii, but TheGreatElvenWarrior was giving me so much trouble over "how stupid" the thread was (apparently I was killing squirrels) that I decided to start a new account as Laurinque.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:20 PM   #27
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
As a man, I feel qualified only to mention who seems the beauty of the films among the women featured.

There aren't too many to go on. Arwen, Eowyn and Galadriel are the main ladies. All of the others are covered in grime and have messy hair, so as not to detract from the others.

Of the three, then, I would have to pick Eowyn/Miranda Otto. I never found Arwen/Liv Tyler attractive, and her interviews just remove all doubt. Galadriel/Cate Blanchett is just too...motherly, somehow.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:12 PM   #28
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
I am one of the few women

who find Sean Bean quite resistable.
Here's another. However, while I am obviously a woman of gravitas and substance, ahem, I will admit to being shallow as a puddle in some respects. Pretty Orlando Bloom is one such respect. (I believe Madame Lush is with me on this one...)
In other news, Viggo Mortensen is not at all bad as Aragorn, but does nothing for me in any other incarnation. Karl Urban was the best of the rest.
The Gondor brothers and the hobbit boys all left me cold, I have to say, looks-wise.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #29
Meriadoc1961
Wight

Meriadoc1961 has just left Hobbiton.
I was disappointed in the selection of both Cate Blanchette and Liv Tyler for their parts. I always felt that the best choices to fill those roles would have been Jennifer O'Dell from the TV series Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World for Galadriel and Jolene Blalock of Star Trek: Enterprise to play Arwen. Both of these women are incredibly beautiful, which is how Tolkien describes these two women in the books. I am not saying the choices of Blanchette and Tyler are ugly, I just do not see them as the drop-dead gorgeous types that are described by Tolkien. Of the two, I felt Tyler was the better choice.

I thought the selection for Gandalf and Saruman were particularly well made, as was Eomer, in my opinion.

They did a great job with Gollum and the Balrog, too.

So with what we have left I would say the characters of Eowyn and Rosie were good. I believe the young lady hobbits in FotR were the most attractive female characters in the movies, especially the shot that has Rosie and a few other lovely ladies looking up as the dragon firework flies overhead. They are very beautiful there. I really think they would have been excellent for these parts.

My wife's favorite is Legolas, so she also has to watch Pirates of the Caribbean.

Merry

Last edited by Meriadoc1961; 12-20-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Meriadoc1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:29 PM   #30
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Here's another. However, while I am obviously a woman of gravitas and substance, ahem, I will admit to being shallow as a puddle in some respects. Pretty Orlando Bloom is one such respect. (I believe Madame Lush is with me on this one...)
In other news, Viggo Mortensen is not at all bad as Aragorn, but does nothing for me in any other incarnation. Karl Urban was the best of the rest.
The Gondor brothers and the hobbit boys all left me cold, I have to say, looks-wise.
Oh no. While I can see that Orlio is a good looking young man, he isn't what I'd call 'fit' I think Viggo was right as Aragorn but maybe just a bit too intense and acTOR-ish to qualify as 'hot stuff'...Bean really isn't in the slightest bit good looking, but he manages to have that air of 'danger' about him I think.

What is this anyway? The corner of the Downs where we all come to express our airhead sides? If it is, it's welcome
Old 12-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #31
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
Personally I would have to say that yes, Viggo Mortensen is the best looking, but I also think that Billy Boyd is a good second. And yes this should be an offical poll.

A note of interest I would like to add is that I am actully the author of the thread, Roborovskii, but TheGreatElvenWarrior was giving me so much trouble over "how stupid" the thread was (apparently I was killing squirrels) that I decided to start a new account as Laurinque.
Forgive me for finding this amusing. But you needn't worry about it. The fact that several old downers posted on this thread with no problem, shows it isn't stupid enought to "kill squirrels". By the way, old downers for me count as people who have topped 1000 posts.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #32
Hammerhand
Haunting Spirit

Hammerhand has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Hammerhand
Despite being a very straight male, i think Sean Bean and Vigo pull off the best looking title. Nonetheless! i thought Liv Tyler was quite attractive at times.

Saying that, i think the female actors have been in more complimenting films over the years.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #33
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Was the thud the sound of his ham dropping on the floor as he acted the part? It's that "Morrrrrrrdoooorrrrrr" thing that puts me off. He's much better in Priscilla I think.
If only Elrond's wardrobe had allowed for the same fabulous dress of Priscilla.

Quote:
I'd probably go for Miranda Otto... How she sings the burial lament for Théodred
When I first saw TTT I thought Miranda Otto was sort of an ill-fit for Eowyn. I thought she was too small for the image I had in my mind of Eowyn. But I was so moved by her lament in the extended edition my mind changed and her acting in ROTK was pretty amazing as well.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #34
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas View Post
Forgive me for finding this amusing. But you needn't worry about it. The fact that several old downers posted on this thread with no problem, shows it isn't stupid enought to "kill squirrels". By the way, old downers for me count as people who have topped 1000 posts.
Glad to hear I was not murduring squirrels, and I really do like this name better so no worries.

I really have no clue why I like Billy Boyd so much Lalaith, I think it is mostly the fact I am so fond of his character, Pippin.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #35
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
mmmmm Karl Urban (enough said)
Old 12-21-2007, 08:59 AM   #36
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
I really have no clue why I like Billy Boyd so much Lalaith, I think it is mostly the fact I am so fond of his character, Pippin.
Ah, now if Diamond were around right now, she would I suspect be your New Best Friend.

Yes, Other Lal - Airhead Corner. Hehe. If only there was now some way I could bring Richard Armitage into this conversation....oh yes, I know, he could have been a really good Faramir.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:56 AM   #37
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Back when I was a kid of twelve I'd immediately say Orlando Bloom. But right now I say the most beautifully portrayed chars is Galadriel (there is something in Cate Blanchett that seems very apt for Galadriel and in her other role as Elizabeth). Arwen by Liv Tyler, I dunno. I think the guys that the fact that I don't like her very much in the movies is just due to the fact that Arwen's role is much too... not-very-bookish. Miranda Otto is quite nice too. A gorgeous Celtic warrior princess with a broken heart, she's quite nice. And don't forget Gollum. Andy Serkis was simply superb.

David Wenham is quite nice too, but I think he just looks a bit too... fat. No, I think I'm just weird. Ahahaha.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:25 AM   #38
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
If only Elrond's wardrobe had allowed for the same fabulous dress of Priscilla.
I think Hugo expressed his camp side well though, when he presented Anduril to Aragorn, that superb cape swish was worthy of any drag queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Yes, Other Lal - Airhead Corner. Hehe. If only there was now some way I could bring Richard Armitage into this conversation....oh yes, I know, he could have been a really good Faramir.
Now there's the odd thing. I am completely convinced that Faramir is Robin Hood himself brought to Middle-earth, but he plays Robin's nemesis Guy of Gisborne! Maybe he could be in The Hobbit? He'd make a good Bard. He even has the right accent, being that Lake Town is most definitely Northern.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:39 AM   #39
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Hmm...Bard. He broods, doesn't he? Yes, I could live with that.

The reason I thought Faramir was partly that Armitage in the role could help reconcile me to the character. I've just never liked Faramir as I ought to - found him a bit pious and dreary - which I feel bad about. I think that perhaps the sight of Armitage suffering with "weariness, grief for his father's mood, a wound, and over all the Black Breath" would help soften me.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:47 AM   #40
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Alright, alright, I'll say who I think is the best looking. Though, understand, I haven't fallen in love, gushed, or anything over any of these gents or ladies - ever!

The best looking was probably David Wenham. I really liked Sean Bean's Boromir, though...

And by the way, for you men out there....there is another pretty woman in the movies who is not a main character and who is not all dirty and begrimed. She's in Gondor, one of the ladies who went out to bid Faramir farewell, who is absolutely gorgeous (I think). She's prettier than Arwen and possibly Eowyn...but I wouldn't have Eowyn be exchanged for the world - she was one of the best adapted characters.