The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2006, 11:10 AM   #1
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
WWJ XIII: 'Til Death Do We LARP

It was late in the evening before the carpool carrying the Ridgecrest Live Action Fantasy Club pulled into the campground at Ridgecrest National Park. The members tumbled out of their cars and vans, stretching and stiffly starting the work of unloading and setting up camp before the sun went down.

Jenny Hallu, deep in her third term as president of the club, set up her pavilion quickly and set up her folding chair in front of the door, looking out over the people who belonged to her little demesne. They hadn't had any new members in the last several years, but neither had they lost anyone, and Jenny knew all of them closely. She was deeply familiar with the most intimate details of their personal lives, and with the histories of the fantastical characters they played on week-ends. All had long since gotten over any feelings of self-consciousness about their hobby, and camp set-up was going as smoothly as it ever had. Jenny watched them all, mentally going over her tidy alphabetical roster.

Anguirel was painfully putting together his tentpoles. It looked as though his arthritis was acting up again, but Boromir88 had cheerfully fallen into the role of his young apprentice, and was erecting the old man's tent before working on his own.

His Lordship CaptainofDespair was talking loudly and huffily about his desperate need of a lackey, but Boromir seemed to be ignoring him for now. Jenny couldn't wait until he fell into character for the weekend. Melneras was much less abrasive.

Diamond had already fallen into character...well, mostly. She'd erected her tent, and seemed to be alphabetizing her spells.

Durelin was a local celebrity. As the only starcaptain to make Ridgecrest home, Durelin's interest in the club had thrilled Jenny. Of course, her creativity had dulled when it came to making a character, but as Durelin stepped out of her tent in costume, Jenny had to admit her skills with props were amazing. Her costume was perfect, from the gold felt shirt down to the girdle.

Farael was humming to himself as he worked, the words unintelligible. His handmade tent was low and dark, and nearly impossible to see when searching for the bathrooms after dark. Jenny'd tripped over it more than once, then screeched as spidery fingers closed about her ankle. Creepy little fellow...but he did get everyone concert tickets every year.

Gurthang was, as usual, in the process of giving up his tent site to someone else, namely Naria, who was threatening the poor meek man with her flute and a caged rat. The argument threatened to get loud as Naria strove to be heard over Gurthang's apologies, but Nogrod delayed tying up his leg to practice his drill manner on both of them, always an effective tactic.

Rikae was difficult to see. She seemed to be digging a cave, her eyes closed. Jenny knew without looking that the hole would be exactly six feet deep. Rikae liked to sleep almost underground...

Rune's tent was finished quickly, and he hurried over to help Thinlómien with hers, as it seemed to be taking a definite list to one direction. Thinlómien was another who suffered from arthritis, though it was much more doubtful that she was aware of it.

Valier was easy to see, even though a tent stood between Jenny and her...her mohawk could be easily followed as she paced back and forth in front of her tent, trying to get her pointy ears to stick.

Lastly, Volo was juggling his cellphone and his multitude of weaponry, as usual trying to get in one last sale before the dinner hour was definitively over.

Folwren, the vice-president, was sitting beside her, and caught Jenny's sleepy nod. They shared the large tent, and would share the midnight work of distributing the secret roles.

Jenny quietly slipped into her tent and shut the flap. She had a lot to do to prepare for the game tomorrow, and a few hours sleep before she had to be up and about wouldn't hurt.

A cold breeze followed her in, ruffling through her planning notebooks. In her sleep, she thought she heard dark laughter. Folwren wrapped her coat tighter around herself, with a creepy feeling that something was breathing down her neck.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
2 AM

Jenny and Foley giggled as they crept out of their tent. Jenny was carrying a neat stack of index cards, a trick she'd used before to set up a scenario. Now all she had to do was slip them under the pillows of each of the club members. They'd know to look for them in the morning, and would find the information they needed to play the parts Jenny had planned for them.

"So what's the scenario again?" Foley whispered as they left the first tent.

"I've told you a million times...Three of these cards carry the message that the player is a werewolf. One says the player is a Seer. Everyone has to keep their roles secret, and the game will be the battle between the werewolves and the rest."

They delivered the cards quickly, then met again in front of their tent.

"We're done," Foley said, showing her empty hands.

"Great, because I'm exhausted." Jenny unzipped the tent flap and stepped inside, closely followed by Foley. When the two saw the scene inside the tent, however, they stopped in their tracks.

Three of their friends sat sprawled in the center of the room, and a strange man stood over them.

"What is going on?" Jenny demanded.

"Shush," answered one of the three on the floor. "It's time to listen. After all, it's your game."

Jenny turned to the man, a pit of fear growing in her gut. He smirked at her without a trace of sympathy.

"Well, not really a game. Not anymore," he said. "I've been away for a while, but I've come back. My brothers and sisters hold you puny Men in such high esteem, I thought I'd start out with a little revenge. Then I'll proceed in an orderly fashion to world domination. It's really too bad you folks have to be my first targets...but werewolves are rather a signature of mine. One of my most effective weapons."

As he spoke a hideous transformation came over the three on the floor. Fangs and snarling muzzles replaced their familiar faces, claws ripped at the floor of the tent.

"Now, don't worry, I'll give you a chance. My friends are on strict orders they can only kill one of their fellows each night. It would be over too quickly otherwise...hardly an opportunity for revenge. And your Seer is real too, in fact is dreaming right now.

"But tonight, my darlings," he crooned, caressing the monstrous beasts that had replaced Jenny's and Folwren's friends, "you get a special treat. These two know who you are."

~*~

As each person woke the next morning, he or she searched under their pillow for the card that had inevitably been left the night before. They stashed it in belts and pockets before heading outside their tents.

The members of the Ridgecrest Fantasy club gathered early, building a fire and cooking breakfast with the familiarity of old hands. When hunger and grogginess had been sated, however, it became clear that two of their number were not among them. And which two! Jenny and Folwren always set them off on their quest or battle with a little speech, and it was past time for it. Not to mention Volo's phone wasn't working, and it seemed that their cars had mysteriously run out of gas overnight.

With little ado, the whole crowd trouped over to the large tent Foley and Jenny shared. Knocking on a tent flap is of course an inefficient exercise, but Boromir solved the problem by quickly taking the part of a herald. "Ho, the tent!" he called clearly. "The Company of the Burnt Omelet approaches!"

A titter erupted from the crowd behind him, quickly hushed by a glare from Nogrod. "Nothing was burnt. 'Twas merely a pinch of my herb, my wares, a rare delicacy."

Diamond sniffed. "Your herb? Weed, more like."

Valier and Thinlomien perked up a bit at that.

"Wait," Boromir said, forstalling any further discussion. "They didn't answer."

"Maybe they're still asleep," quavered Anguirel.

"Maybe they're working on secret presidential stuff," pointed out Rune.

"Maybe they're on the phone," contributed Volo.

"Or indulging in a moment of quiet prayer," Gurthang said piously.

"Maybe they're dead." Rikae seemed hopeful, but the rest of the group felt it was an altogether inappropriate thing to say. It was terribly quiet in there, though.

"Someone is simply going to have to go in there," sniffed CaptainofDespair.

"Then you go," urged Farael. "I'll be right behind you."

"I'll go," Durelin. Boldly, she strode where none of them had ever gone before, straight into the presidential pavilion. The rest crowded behind her. Immediately after entering, Gurthang uttered a muffled shriek and exited quickly.

The scene in the tent sobered everyone. Jenny and Foley were nowhere to be seen, but the generous red swaths of blood coating everything were clear testimonies to the horrors that had occurred here. Searching, Durelin found copies of a poem, written in red ink on a curious leather parchment, and distributed them. Maybe the scenario had changed. Hopefully the scenario had changed.

"Maybe all this is...tomato juice?" someone hazarded.

"No," answered Rikae, voice full of growing revulsion. "This paper...it's skin. Human skin!"

"And the writing is blood," added Nogrod.

"Oh no," Naria murmured. "Jenny and Foley...they've been collated!"

Just then Gurthang came back in, eyes protectively tight shut, looking meeker than ever. "I found them. Most of them anyway. Just inside the woods."

All eyes turned to the bit of verse on the parchment as they read the verse together:

"There once were three werewolves from Ridgecrest,
Whose party turned into a meat fest.
Another had sight,
To see truth once each night,
And a fifth thinks your doom would be best."

"The scenario! It's the same as the scenario!" someone cried. "That means it'll be easy! We just pull out our cards from last night..."

Three hands were doing just that as the first voice spoke. Unfortunately, as soon as the cards were exposed to air, they burned to ash, charred beyond recognition. "So much for that idea."

They wrangled bravely with the problem as they placed the bits of poem back on the desk. Once a day, they finally decided, they'd vote for one who would--well--they saw no other way around it.

Anguirel was still studying the poem. "What a remarkable bit of doggerel," he muttered.

~*~

Dead
JennyHallu - Club President - Bound and collated on Night 1
Folwren - Vice-President - Used for ink on Night 1

Living
Anguirel - aged academician, expert in Ruritanian poetry - Ptolemaius the Objectionable, human wizard
Boromir88 - Fuller - all the NPCs
CaptainofDespair - Pompous Nobleman - Melneras, the Gnomish Archwizard
Diamond - librarian - Dia'l Na Mon the Half Elven Enchantress and Wielder of Azgalthro the Rapping Sword
Durelin - StarCaptain - William Shatner
Farael - Heavy-metal singer - sneak
Gurthang - Clergyman - Cowardly Knight
Naria - Rat Wrangler (Animal control? teehee...) - Kitty Watcha'mikolit the Pygmy Giant, player of the Flute of Doom.
Nogrod - Retired General - Ciryatan of the Dúnedain, a one-legged Athelas vendor
Rikae - schadenfreude-prone mortician - unstable aging halfling stage actor, Ilberic Took, wielding an ancient elvish shovel
Rune - temp - Joe the Beorning Bounty Hunter
Thinlomien - aging homeless sot - Lothwen the Pretty, elven flowermaid
Valier - Radical Hair Butcher - Elven Anoonnoon of Omicron Persieye 8
Volo - teleseller - Tom Yrmacha'zul'charach'ping'yit'pul tha half-balrog, wielding a multitude of sharp pointy objects.

DAY 1 HAS BEGUN.

Werewolves stop PMing. Club Members, begin talking.

Yes, it's a bit early. But I'm sick, and really want to take a nap.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Well, bah humbug! Such wreckless abandon these foul creatures have! Though, they are well spoken. And that is something to be admired.

In any case, I would like to keep my hands clean of this mess. So, I will surely have to wait and allow my superior intellect to grant me insight that the rest of you...commoners...could never obtain.

I will allow others to post before I begin compiling a list of potential culprits. Can anyone pass me some of that skin-paper so I can make that list? I do believe I have my own ink, though.
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
I'm through with standing in line.... to tents I'll never get in. *Farael enters the tent for the first time and promptly steps out and pukes behind a conveniently placed bush* Ugh... it's like the bottom of the ninth over there, I'm never gonna win. This... this game hasn't turned out quite the way I wanted it to be.

It's ok, I know how to solve the problem. What we need to do is to stay awake all night, so that we can see whoever is transforming into a werewolf. I don't want to sleep anyway, 'cos I... want to rock and roll all night!! And party every day.

*Farael sneaks up on Naria* Come on! let's start a band... you play your flute and I'll sing. Let's do some crazy music until the moon comes up and the fanged ones reveal themselves. Then we can use our greater numbers to... how should I say it... oh, yeah, kill them.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #5
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Evidently, ahem, we should, ah, start with an, ah, examination of this alleged poem.

"There once were three werewolves from Ridgecrest,
Whose party turned into a meat fest.
Another had sight,
To see truth once each night,
And a fifth thinks your doom would be best."

Well, any fool can see that the structure is a limerick, a vulgar form rarely conveying import and usually dealing with nonsense or obscenity.

Unfortunately, this would appear to be a case of obscenity, not nonsense.

Oh, this is quite ridiculous! I'm too old and wise for this sort of foolishness. Who do these tomfools think I am, Colonel Sapt?

We're all doomed, apparently, so I shall spend my last hours enjoyably, pretending to be Ptolemaius the Objectionable and casting a spell to get myself back to Dryasdust College, Camford.

Last edited by Anguirel; 11-08-2006 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Misspelt nonsense - unpardonable in an academic
Anguirel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:33 PM   #6
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Order, order now!

And some respect over the dead, please.

We seem not to be in a game anymore, or in a totally different one that we thought we'd be.

This calls for some strategic thought and tactical ponderings - not singing heavy-metal ballads overnight or disgracing the bodies of our friends by writing lists on them...

Your attitude, young men, actually makes me look at you the more closer toDay... And with your consent mr. professor, let's not lose ourself into the ivory tower of the romantic academia.

Let's call for everyone to open their mouths and give us thoughts and explanations. That's the only way to catch those villains - besides good luck - to which we army-people can't just afford to count on...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh...my.

That interrupts my campaign for the position of #1 Canadian...

And if I hear ONE MORE PERSON tell me, "He's dead, Jim," I will...go through my mid-life crisis all over again. So don't even start. My name's not Jim! And I know they're dead.

Heh...

*crickets*

That was the evil Captain Durelin...

So, we need a plan. Personally, I say we blast these werewolves into oblivion... We just need to find out who they are...yeah...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #8
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
are we sure that this has actually happened ? Could it just not be a really cool ehm life like scenario ?

I once played in one where they ripped this guys heart out, well that was what it looked like. It was actually just a pigs heart!

If not then the blasting to oblivion sounds like a good idea.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:03 PM   #9
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Wow. I am, at this moment, torn between unspeakable horror and professional fascination. Jenny and Foley, turned to parchment and their blood made ink? I'm half surprised their spines were not made into, well, spines.

What? You're all thinking it.

Well, I know one thing for certain, we'll need all our cleverness and weaponry to fend off these disturbingly creative beasts. Luckily, I have my enchantments -- super strong sleep potions and the like, so they can't possibly get to me. I'll just lay some supernatural whammy on them! And if even that fails, well, there's always.....

*pauses dramatically*

"Azgalthro!"

*whips out gigantic, gleaming, curved sword, as on cue, the hip-hopping beat of Crazy In Love bursts out from... somewhere...*

[sword]
Yes! so crazy right now
Most incredibly
It's your girl B
It's your boy young
History in the makin'
[/sword]

I have no idea what that means, but there you have it. Azgalthro also does gangsta, if need be.

Anyway, I'll be around.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:31 PM   #10
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

I'm always the red-shirted Mr. Johnson that travels with Kirk, Spock, and Mccoy, on an expeditionary team and ends up dying...so I'm looking at our Mr. Shatner over there.

I understand we also have a Cobbler in this troop? That aint good news thats for sure. It's been a long time since any of my ancestors have had a Cobbler...and my notes on them are few and scarce.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #11
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Well, since we are all being so careful and non-compromising, I'll level the first random accusation of the day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
That was the evil Captain Durelin...
Let me paraphrase that EVIL DURELIN

Guess we'll have to lynch her, she admitted her evil-ness already.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:57 PM   #12
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Dying? Ah, "a little suffering is good for the soul, Mr. Johnson."

Interesting...you are the first person to actually throw out any accusations. I'll keep an eye on you, as well, red shirt.

"Death. Destruction. Disease. Horror..."

This place smells of it.

We must find...the source. *sniffs off*

Edit: Cross-posted with Farael. No, you are not the first...but I am flattered to be such a target of interest.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #13
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
Well, since we are all being so careful and non-compromising, I'll level the first random accusation of the day

Let me paraphrase that EVIL DURELIN

Guess we'll have to lynch her, she admitted her evil-ness already.
But admitted vileness does not mean wolf-dom. I would certainly know that. In my private life I have been accused, out of many things, of evicting peasants from their homes so that my game-hunting lands can be expanded. And that's just my pre-afternoon warmup.

[Aside] Wretched commoners...

Perhaps we should keep an eye on both Farael and Durelin.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:05 PM   #14
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Quote:
*Farael sneaks up on Naria* Come on! let's start a band... you play your flute and I'll sing.
Er, umm sorry Farael but I've heard your singing the last time our group was together and I don't know if you had too much liquour or weed or both, but ummm it was awful. So I think I will just stick with listening to the hip-hop masterings of Azgalthro.

There hasn't been too much said so far. So I will go tend to my rats. I will be around...just follow the sound of my flute and you will find me.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:36 AM   #15
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
What to do today. . .well Diamond is sertainly too intertaining to lynch today and I think I will hold back on the accusations against Farael, you know. To breake a habbit.

What to do. . .
*starts to headbang to the sound of Naria's flute*

Lets lynch Naria, otherwise I will be headbanging all day and get a headache!

Actually I am clueless. . . Maybe General Nogrod will have some sugestions when he returns? Maybe not, I hope there will have been some development before I speak again, which should be in around 9 hours. . .

*sits in a coner refusing to speak while headbanging*

Old 11-09-2006, 01:19 AM   #16
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Blast it. If I could only have found an ounce more hellebore...the spell would surely have gone off perfectly...

Ahem. The conventional characteristics of villains in Ruritanian ballads include a certain, ah, debonair, er, air, casualness and confidence.

Supposing some of our werewolves are villains of this sort, then the two who come to mind here are Diamond and Durelin.

I must say I thought Durelin's attempt to staunch accusations most peculiar. My dear ladies, education, or detective work, can only be brought to tuition by the Socratic method, that is, by questioning, and, ah, accusing.

I am surprised that Gurthang has yet to speak. A cowardly knight he may be, but I think we're going to need that broadsword he bought off an ironmonger...
Old 11-09-2006, 01:22 AM   #17
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well I thought there would have been a bit more chit chat since my last post, but I guess timezones....*trails off and

yawns* Me and my lil rodents are off to bed now(RL). See you all when I get up...which will be in about 9 or 10 hours.

Edit:X with Ang
Old 11-09-2006, 03:57 AM   #18
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I suggest driking in Jenny's and Foley's memory! They were good gals, we're gonna miss 'em. *shakes her head sadly* So, a toast, anyone?

A nice little chit-chat we're having here, no one really saying anything. *sigh* I guess that's normal. Let's drink for some encouragement to speak up!

Now that I've had a little warm up, there are a few things I'd like to say.
#1 Drinking is nice.
#2 Flowers are nice.
Ahem... Just remembered this was a question of life and death. So, pardon me.

#3 CaptainofDespair is a bit odd. I mean, when Farael (jokingly, or that's how I understood it, though you never know of him) accused Durelin calling her "evil Durelin" and proposing to lynch her, CaptainofDespair says:
Quote:
But admitted vileness does not mean wolf-dom. I would certainly know that. In my private life I have been accused, out of many things, of evicting peasants from their homes so that my game-hunting lands can be expanded. And that's just my pre-afternoon warmup.
To me, this sounds a wolfish (yet not very clever) tactic to get the accusations away from Durelin. According to my experience, there are two situations when one may defend a fellow villager like this: when the person is an over-reacting wolf and tries to get the accusations away from his/her partner or when the person in question thinks he/she has a good joke to answer the accusation with (which was not the case, in my opinion, or else I don't get CoD's sense of humour). So I'm inclined to believe the clumsy wolf-tactics, but I know nothing of CoD's playing records or ww experience, so it's difficult to say. So maybe I'm just overreacting, but that just caught my eye.

Well, that's it for now, but I will be back and vote quite early. (About seven hours before the deadline; I don't have a net access home.)
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:35 AM   #19
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Am I really the only one alive? *sigh* I must vote quite soon and there's a pitiful amount of comments to conclude anything of. Must I really go with my feeble suspicion of CoD?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:55 AM   #20
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I can't stay long, but I thought CoD was quite funny...
Old 11-09-2006, 08:24 AM   #21
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Oh those poor girls!!! I shall miss them terribly, and their hair...I have little time today (RL) I will be back in time to vote and shall read through the little that has been posted. For now though...FREE butcher cuts for everyone.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:30 AM   #22
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

At least some people are/were here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
I can't stay long, but I thought CoD was quite funny...
Good that you said that. Maybe it was intended as a funny joke instead of a defense.

But it might have been a clumsy defense as well, and my vote is based on that possibility:

++CaptainofDespair

Check my first post for longer reasoning.

I admit it, it's not a very well-reasoned vote/suspicion, but I think it's closest to one I can make/have at this phase.

Don't except me to be back toDay.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #23
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

The drunkard Thinlomien's vote is, I believe, influenced by time and alcohol more than any nefarious reason - though it could be a way of staying out of the spotlight as a werewolf, I see this as unlikely.

By a slight margin, Durelin remains my strongest suspect for her curious remarks about accusations. But perhaps darker hearts still can be found among those who have yet to speak.

I am tempted to vote in order to provoke a little discussion...
Old 11-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #24
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Volo

Volo had already thrown a few phones into the trees, now only his trusty Nokia 3310 remained in one piece. But even the one piece was of little use, exept as a hammer, with which Volo hammered his own head. "I hate this, I hate this, I hate this..."

"Bdzup", said Volo's phone. He looked at it and found it working! His self-made anoying ring-tone was loud and clear, and anoying. Volo answered the call.

"Hello... Where are you? Are you coming to walk the dogs? Yes, you are, aren't you? ..." It was Volo's friend who was really obsessed with dog walking.

Volo tried to explain his problem, but his friend Kalle, just continued chatting with himself about dogs, he even gave the phone to his dog.

Kalle lifted the phone to his ear at last and asked, "Well?"

Volo sighed and started talking about the situation.

Kalle listened for a while and then said dully, "Oh, I forgot that you had that larp thing going on... But you can come dogwalking tomorrow, can't you?"

"No, this stuff is for real, call for help- Prkl!" The phone lost it's field again. Volo shouted different swearwords in three languages for six hours (that was when I wrote all that /\).

Tom Yrmacha'zul'charach'ping'yit'pul

After shouting bad things (including "Eisenbahn") for a long while Volo finally started turning into Tom Yrmacha'zul'charach'ping'yit'pul the half-balrog. He put on his special balrog-suit and lit it on fire. He checked all his sharp pointy weapons and even put on his wizard hat.

"Ich habe ein Kübelwagen i meine Lederhosen! That's "I'll eat all the wolves that have a nose" in Balrogish. And I mean it! And then again, all this is just Zwei! (You don't want to know what it means )

Dativ! ("Friends", that is.) We must without hesitation boil the wolves and serve them to Morgoth. And I too find CoD rather strange with words like "perhaps" that never sounds like words of a balrog's (try to forget that I'm half-balrog) friend. It is a rather Zwei reason to vote for him though...

Which leads me to hasty Lommy. She... um... he? Zwei! It is a scary creature to go after CoD so quickly, but it is also a bright creature that usually finds the reasons to lynch a wolf. I might be just as hasty having a lethal lack of time.

I'll probably be the whole next day away picking raspberries, or maybe no. But today I might even say something with sense if the time comes.

Bye for now my Dativ!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #25
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Durelin, by no reason am I saying thou art fanged...just that anytime I go on a search team with you, I'm the one that ends up dead. Don't take this the wrong way, but if thou art fanged, I don't want to be dead for real this time.

Thinlo...I really am having trouble understanding your logic...
Quote:
Perhaps we should keep an eye on both Farael and Durelin.~CoD
I mean I know it's Day 1 and all, and we all are grasping at straws here. But honestly CoD is one of the most innocent looking people (at least to me). Really he is the only one that has spoken some decent sense to me so far (see above quote), instead of complete bilge. I won't cast my vote for somebody that's been trying to make some sense out of the non-sensical Day 1's.

Edit: X-posted with Volo
Old 11-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #26
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Thinlómien speaks the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Giant Penguin
Now that I've had a little warm up, there are a few things I'd like to say.
#1 Drinking is nice.
How could anyone suspect her after that?

Volo is not really suspiciouse, but I just had a hard time reading his post. . .I find it kind of annoying.

This post is mostly intended as a statement sayin: I am around for a few hours.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:40 AM   #27
Volo

Reading stuff from a bad writer IS anoying. Should I now clap to you for understanding that
Old 11-09-2006, 09:43 AM   #28
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I see why some people wish see CoD innocent, but are you sure you're not misled here? (Well, no one can be sure, but think again).

I'm not referring to the post Lommy based her suspicion. If you look at it more carefully, you will see that after doubting Farel's point over Durelin, CoD thinks we should look closely both of them...

I need to make myself a dinner, but I'll be back with more time after that.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #29
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Everyone seems to be taking 1st day, joking accusations a little too seriously.

Quote:
I must say I thought Durelin's attempt to staunch accusations most peculiar. My dear ladies, education, or detective work, can only be brought to tuition by the Socratic method, that is, by questioning, and, ah, accusing.
I staunched accusations? I made a minor (if random) accusation myself.

I guess it's already time to give up the Shatner. No one seems to like his natural...intensity.

About all I can tell so far is that Lommy's vote for CaptainofDespair is bolder than I would expect a wolf to do at this point. Being the first to vote, though, she might have come up with her reasoning...because being the first to vote randomly, without any real reason (which is not uncommon on Day Ones, at least normally...though there hasn't been that kind of excitement yet...) would draw even more attention to her. Ah, I cannot conclude anything. I argue with myself, and tend to lose my arguments.

I will not assume at all, but I will suggest that perhaps it is more likely that all the wolves have posted today than that they have not. It is most wise for a wolf to remain under the radar, but not completely off it (in other words: they have us in their sights but have cloaking devices), for if we are more likely to notice them missing than here and quite but thoughtful.

Unfortunately, quite a number of people are flying under the radar, and perhaps some have tried to do so, but have not been so successful.

I know I am obsessed with radar, but I know from experience when that goes down, you're lost in the dark.

(I apologize for abusing my smilie privileges.)
Old 11-09-2006, 10:12 AM   #30
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

A point of interest: Gurthang and Rikae are so far most notable in their silence. But I suspect that that is not especially meaningful; Gurthang usually talks, argues and flails unless committments hold him back.

I think Lommy's vote is actually an extremely safe bet for a werewolf early on, though of course it doesn't necessarily follow that the drunkard is guilty.

Nogrod, your comment about people wishing to preserve CoD but being misled is pretty blasted cryptic. Enlighten us, if you feel like it.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:43 AM   #31
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Quote:
I will not assume at all, but I will suggest that perhaps it is more likely that all the wolves have posted today than that they have not. It is most wise for a wolf to remain under the radar, but not completely off it~Durelin
I disagree. There are 14 people in this troop here....3 of whom who have yet to say something, the chances that at least one of those three actually is a wolf wouldn't be at all unusual.

Yes, the wolves do like to get out there and get the village turning (right now, for me, Nogrod, Anguirel, and CoD would fall under here). However, I wouldn't put it past at least one of the wolves to say very little (if anything at all) on Day 1...while one or both of their buddies go out and get their hands dirtied.

On those three above, I probably won't vote for any of them, today...though Nogrod looks the most dangerous (of the three). His suspicion of CoD looks a little bold for a wolf to make, but with his family history I wouldn't put anything past him. So, I guess you could say I'll be watching Nogrod.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #32
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay. I think I can speak of it more openly. I have only hesitated as there is a possibility of making an error, but the more I have thought about this the smaller I see the chances of it.

So look at CoD's first post, the very first post of the game:
Quote:
I will surely have to wait and allow my superior intellect to grant me insight that the rest of you...commoners...could never obtain.
It's written nicely in the tone of a "Pompous Nobleman", but honestly, what does it look like if not a hint of CoD being the Seer?

Now why on earth would the real Seer do something like that? There is no reason imaginable for her/him to do that, at least as a first post of the whole game! There may be situations where the Seer feels her/himself under pressure to be the next lynchee or kill of the Night and giving hints might be a way of trying to call for help (do not lynch me / ranger help me). Although my lorebooks seem to indicate that that kind of hints are no good in the end and the Seer has only two viable options: openly revealing her/his role or just staying silent and wishing for the best.

So CoD is not the real Seer.

Would an innocent villager try tro make her/himself to look like a Seer? I do see a point for that kind of action. If the villager feels that the real Seer is in trouble, s/he might try to sacrifice her/himself for the common good and act as a bait for the wolves. But why to do something like that in the first post of the game?

So CoD is no ordinary villager either...

Would a wolf do something like that? If s/he hasn't thought through all that I have written up here, s/he might think it a good idea. Many enough of us might note the "hint" and stay quiet about it being afraid we would reveal / lynch our Seer - and what's most important, they would not vote her/him! The real Seer coming forwards later in the game would not be an issue because the impostor could always say that it was not meant to be a Seer-hint as it was somewhat vaguely formed and in-character...

So the only person I see having any reason at all to pose as a Seer is one of the lycanthrope kind.

That was what I tried to say - and do say.

EDIT: X'd with Boro...
Old 11-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #33
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
(Note: Italics represent the moments when I lapse from clergy/preacher guy into my role-playing cowardly knightness.)

Friends! I aplogize for my late arrival, and regret that I will make but few appearances over the next few days.

Hiding is the safest way to not get killed, after all.

Anyway, I think it best to first have a small burial for our recently deceased, myself presiding of course. I wish to have a proper sending for our dearly beloved as they move on their way to a better place. It's the right thing to do.

Now, I should underscore the predicament we are in. I'll remind you that prayer is the best for this situation. The Good Book says, "Love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you." We should treat them as we would want them to be treated. Don't you think they'll respond well to that?

Or they might just kill us all without any resistance whatsoever! I say a direct frontal attack.... or a quick retreat; yes, retreat is always a good idea!

Hmm... yes, I suppose we must do something. "God helps those who help themselves"... true, it's not in the Bible, but it makes a lot of sense. We need to find a way to stop these foul demons and send them back to their master!

Now, for the hard part.... which of you are these foul beasts? *scans crowd* I'm not good at judging; I always see the best in those around me...

Well, for lack of a better reason:

++Anguirel

Since he seems more worried about the wolves poetic abilities than finding out who they are. (And for old times sake. I'll hopefully return to switch my vote. I just wanted to get that one out there. )
Old 11-09-2006, 11:33 AM   #34
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Great I have nothing and now I have to go. . .

I am not convinced about CoD's guilt and I did not pay any atention to his comment when I saw it. . .so I am not going to hunt his head just yet.

ehm. . .Volo, I never said you were a bad writter, infact I have opposite impression. I just did not like that particular post.

so it is going to be a pretty much random vote. . .I want to vote Naria or Volo, I don't know why.

hmmm Volo it is!

++Volo

Old 11-09-2006, 11:37 AM   #35
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
I am not convinced about CoD's guilt and I did not pay any atention to his comment when I saw it. . .so I am not going to hunt his head just yet.
I'm not saying I'm convinced about CoD's guilt either. It's just the only suspicion that I can ground with some sense. If I'm not able to find any better candidates I will vote for CoD, but happily there's time and I will surely try to do some rewieving of other people later on.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #36
Volo

Volo

"Here again and telling that either Nogrod is using his great tactic from my first game or then he's innocent, #32 is too much to be a post of a wolf. This was really brave, since if CoD aint no wolf, then bye bye Nogrod. A wolf wouldn't say something like that about an innocent person, too risky. So either Nogrod is a friend of us innocent larpers, he's hoping that we react just like I'm doing now or he's back to his backstabbing."

Tom

"Trusting Nogrod's word I'm going to rip ++CoD if I get the chance!"

Tom the wannabe balrog started sharpening his swords and dreaming about the (legendary) flaming whip he'd inherit from his mum (The problem being that balrog's tend to be immortal...).

EDIT: Rune, sorry, I just tend to overreact too often with such things, it's hard to know when I'm just wasting time and when I really mean it... It's true that I want to learn to write more plainly in the future, but forget it.

EDIT2: x-d with Nogrod, your suspicion was pretty straightforward...
Old 11-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #37
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

Well, I must say I am quite honored to be the first one voted for! This just proves my natural aristocratic superiority!

However, I think some of you have read a bit too far into my comments. I would say that, in light of my comment on insight, I am certainly not this 'Seer'. Quicker would I submit to decapitation than to being some horribly wretched (and poor, I might add) prophetic type.

Nor am I a wolf. Surely I am a villain to most of you common folk, if only being that I am a nobleman of renowned wealth! But that is no reason to lynch one of the few educated and socially outstanding men of this group! Why, without me you would have no one to mock with your simplistic rhymes and jokes. I must remind you that I am of aristocratic stock, and to devolve into wolf-dom is beneath my character. Why kill those you can simply tax to death over time?

Wolf or Seer I am not. And I certainly would not like to miss out on performing as the Gnomish Archwizard, as I have come to love the role in my studying of it.

And furthermore, my suspicions have grown to include Thinlomien. There are certainly others, but the insignificance of those worries are beneath mentioning. However, I will reserve judgement til the 11th hour draws nigh. Until then, I shall continue to gather knowledge.

Last edited by CaptainofDespair; 11-09-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:35 PM   #38
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Wolf or Seer I am not
In light of our General's speech, I would have to agree with you CoD here. I don't believe you are any of the two. I believe you could be the Cobbler. Nogrod states that there are three posibilites for you to have said:

Quote:
insight that the rest of you...commoners...could never obtain

That you are the Seer or an ordo trying to protect the Seer or a wolf. Now because you state that you are neither the Seer or wolf and I don't think that anyone in their right mind would say that they are the Seer so early on, would lead me to conclude that you are the Cobbler. There is absolutely no gain in a Seer coming out so quickly or for an ordo to protect the Seer so soon. I really do think that this statement CoD is incriminating. I think that you want us to believe that you are the Seer so you can live longer so as you can help the baddies. And quite frankly, what better way to do it then to say something like that so people second guess themselves. "he could be the real Seer, I shouldn't vote for him" or "nah he's got to be bad, I'll vote for him" then back again "but what if he's the real Seer...I can't vote for him if he's telling the truth" A wolf would have nothing to gain by this either, as I can see, by saying something like this he would surely garner too much suspicion and get lynched.

I will more than likely vote for CoD, but I will hold off until more have spoken.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #39
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Thank's Naria, I had totally forgotten about the cobbler... That's possible too.

But correct me if I'm wrong Naria. Did you say that if CoD is a cobbler, pretending to be the Seer would help him to live longer but were he a wolf it would make him look suspicious and get him lynched? Now how does this work?

Okay, I'm on to looking at the posting toDay.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:23 PM   #40
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yes, indeed. In being the cobbler, and prancing around as a prospective Seer, I would get myself killed by the very creatures I would try to help bring to victory. Also, as the cobbler, I do not know who the wolves are. It does not help me to be cobblerish when I have not yet been able to feel out the situation.

I will also say that the General's logic is quite flawed, and his conclusion incorrect.

But, for instance, let us say I am the cobbler. They say that you should keep your friends close and your enemies closer. To do so allows you to watch me, and neglect anything I say. Thus, in negating my effects, you take away my ability to help the wolves and you have one less person to worry about. If the wolves kill me then, because I no longer can serve their purposes, it is a safe kill for the group.

To lynch me on suspicion of being cobbler or wolf or what have you, without any definitive evidence (with the opinions seemingly being driven by my pompous aristocratic comments), is but the first step in handing over our lives to the wolves.

I will now look more closely at Naria and Nogrod. The former and Thinlomien now top my list of suspects.